A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

$10 an hour - anon

Posted: Sep 24, 2010

I need to find a job that averages more than $10 an hour. I have 20 years' experience in med trans and am a fast typist, but with the slow platforms and the constant "breakdowns" and being out of work, I am only averaging $10 an hour. Another problem is my line counts have dropped from 250 per hour to around 100 and cannot figure out why.  Any ideas?  Thanks

I don't have any ideas for you but wanted to offer support. sm - RoadRunnerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am right there with you. For some reason, I can't seem to get above the average of $10/hr and 100 lines per hour. I have 16 years experience but VR is cut throating me. I guess I am too much of a perfectionist as I review every detail. I cannot make myself zoom through quickly to boost pay and miss mistakes.

Im slowed down, too. A combo of software, the worst - dictators, demographics, and NJA.

[ In Reply To ..]

Couldn't resist some math on that production, RoadRunnerMT. - Anon.

[ In Reply To ..]
Let's see: Assuming a modest but reasonable VR production of 250 LPH, a line rate of $0.10/line (is that right for editing?), and ignoring any available production incentives:

You could make: 250 x $0.10 = $25/hr
You are making: $10/hr

You could make 2000 x $25 = $50K/year
You are making 2000 x $10 = $20K/year
(again, excluding bonus pay)

Are you SURE that your pleasure in that degree of perfection is worth $30K+ each year to you? You did say something about something cutting your throat.

Anon, from what you said, I think if you do your own math you'll agree the best advice you can get is to get out of there fast. That possible "missing" income should be tracked down and recovered, of course, but I personally wouldn't invest a single extra day at that company in just that. Others are making a living at other companies. Go get the job you need and deserve. Good luck.

NO ONE is paying 10c a line- ANYWHERE. - do not believe it

[ In Reply To ..]
so either i missed something important in this thread or your formulas are moot
I did NOT mean to raise this kind of speculation. The point is, - Anon.
[ In Reply To ..]
whatever you're making working at whatever, take care of yourself. Don't shoot yourself in the foot at work, or at least just take off the toe you'll least miss.

BTW, a lot of people are making 10c a line. So what if she happened to speak of her MT earnings after slamming VR? I make slightly less starting, but significantly more after adding on bonus wages.

The point is, do not victimize yourself unless your pleasure more than offsets the cost.
I get the point but - the math still is wrong
[ In Reply To ..]
NO ONE gets 10 cpl to edit. NO ONE.

And shooting oneself in the foot is a very subjective issue.
No, pretty sure this is her transcription line rate. - $10 per hour still way too low. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I was hired earlier this year at Transcend making 10.15 cpl. - YES, they ARE paying it for good skills.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Is that 10.15 cpl for VR? Cannot believe it... see message - lindawordlady
[ In Reply To ..]
At that rate you must be making over 50K a year if that is really true. I have 25 plus years of experience make less than 4 cpl for VR and a little less than 7 cpl for straight. I average about 11 per hour and do 300 lph VR and about 200 lph for straight.

Why would Transend pay that much? That just boggles the mind...
I doubt it is for VR, probably for straight transcription - Otherwise that would be ridiculously high
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm right there with you for experience, etc., and have worked for some of the most infamously "picky" MTSOs out there as well as in-house. I cannot conceive of anyone paying 10.15 cpl for editing, and if a company DID pay that, they would be out of their minds, lol!
Doing editing? - I think not
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Oops - my apologies. My 10.15 cpl is for transcription, not VR. - I should have made that more clear.
[ In Reply To ..]
My VR rate is 0.0525 cpl.

I've been doing VR since starting with them and now am averaging about 330-340 lines/hour on editing.

I do have one transcription-only account that is my primary. I work on my secondary (VR) account probably 40% of my week.

Transcend cut my pay from 10 cpl to 9.5 after MDI buyout - TooBadMDI
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I am getting 10 cpl with big national, so don't know - Educated opinion
[ In Reply To ..]
where you get your information that "NO ONE is paying 10c a line." Also, in my part-time job as IC, I get 12 cpl.
Good thing it's not to edit since that is what - I said
[ In Reply To ..]
OF COURSE people are making 10 cpl or more for TRANSCRIPTION (I do myself), but NO ONE is getting paid that to edit.

Said 3 times now so hopefully, you got it this time :)
You can say it 1000 times for all I care. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not the one you're trying to make your point with, lol.

Perhaps you are assuming that all posts other than your own belong to the same poster? Wrong assumption - as most assumptions usually are.

You also seem to think you're the ONLY person who has any idea what VR rates are. What a hoot you are.

Maybe you get it now!

I suppose you have worked for ALL MTSOs - Educated opinion
[ In Reply To ..]
and know for a fact what ALL are paying? Obviously not because my pay does not change whether it is ASR or straight typing.

The going rate for VR is 3 to 4 - certainly not 10!

[ In Reply To ..]
Apparently you have a much different VR than the rest of the MT world.

I think modest but reasonable VR production is 175 to 200 LPH and at the going rate of 3-4 CPL, which equates to:

175 x $0.03 = $5.25 or $10,920 per year
200 x $0.04 = $7.00 or $14,560 per year

and
175 x $0.03 = $6.00 or $12,480 per year
200 x $0.04 = $8.00 or $16,640 per year

Additionally, I have no idea what company you work for, but the last time I had a "BONUS PAY" was about the last time I had a raise... back in 2001.

See my post above, please. Anyway, - Anon.
[ In Reply To ..]
no competent editor does only 200 LPH. Your calculations need doubling even for lousy dictation.

Regarding bonuses, why not go shopping for a new company? Many offer production bonus and incentive plans. My own bonuses are the difference between satisfactory and good take-home pay. We're talking very significant money here over the course of a year.
Last pp my edit average was 347 LPH. PP before - that was 415 LPH.
[ In Reply To ..]
Your 175-200 LPH as "modest but reasonable" VR production is off. If you cannot edit more than that on a regular basis, then you are not an effective editor.

You should not classify everyone and every situation in that not an effective editor. - RoadRunnerMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Lots of variations including software used, ESL, demographics, etc that can all slow down MTs to put them in a category of effective versus noneffective. It isn't all about whether the actual MT is effective. You have to have the right tools to work with as well to get to that category.

Can you share some tips to how you get your edit average up so high? What software are you using? Even going 150%, I don't see myself getting in those ranges because the software I use on my specific account is just not up to par in my opinion. Way too many errors to fix. I use Dictaphone Enterprise Editor.

10 cpl to EDIT is absolute insanity. Most MTSOs won't even pay 10 for traditional straight transcription much less editing. Bonuses, haha, last time I got a bonus was over 10 years ago. It went away with the times. If I could get out of this field, trust me, I would and am working on schooling but in the meantime I have 4 kids to feed so when you are desperate you gotta do what you gotta do and something is better than nothing.
That Was, since OP clearly was referring to transcription rate, - 250 LPH was used as reasonable for that. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
(Is all this noise because some people don't pay attention when they read (great editors, no doubt!) or because they just want to be argumentative and unpleasant?)

I'm barely making min wage, I'd love $10/hour! - SassyPants

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

Just Wondering What You Make Per Hour, Based On A 40-hour Week...sm
Jul 26, 2013

I know none of us get paid by the hour, but I was just wondering if any of you have ever figured out just how much you earn per hour, based on a 40-hour week. I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in. I seem to be earning $16-18/hour give or take based on how my week goes.  ...

Average Per Hour With 0.75 Or 0.375 Versus $12.00 Per Hour
Mar 31, 2014

My transcription job was always paid by the hour. I was laid off and they recently offered me a temp position with them making $12.00 an hour.  I was also offered a positon that pays 7.5 and 3.5 cpl.  The $12.00 is employee status for a small local company I worked for over 9 years.  The other is an IC position.  Do you think I would make more with the $12.00 an hour or the per line production rate?  I have never done production by line work so I'm not sur ...

Is $14 Per Hour Too Low For QA Pay?
Dec 15, 2009

NM ...

$4.22 An Hour
Aug 06, 2010

Today I made $4.22 in one hour, doing one report; however, I am not entirely disgruntled. I only left one blank and have a sample for next time. There is a sense of accomplishment when you figure out the blanks after extensive researching online. ...

Best Hour EVER
Oct 19, 2010

I've been doing MT forEVER.  Today I pushed the envelope as hard as I could and I transcribed 734 lines in one hour.  I was totally "on," dictators were great, and being in the zone helps.  I doubt I will ever replicate it, my hands are still trembly! LOL!  But I wanted to see what I could do. Nice to still get some firsts after a lifetime in this field and firsts that are positives, not negatives! ...

$3 An Hour
Dec 02, 2010

So I have been working for a few months now but it is so hard to increase my line count. First of all quality comes before quantity, but I also have so many different physicians that it seems impossible to increase my line count. I also have a lot of ESL docs, but I do prefer them over a doc who mumbles. Right now I am making about 3-4 bucks an hour. It stinks. Would you work for that amount?? ...

$15 An Hour.
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know why I picked $15 an hour for this little experiment, but for some reason it strikes me that across the board that's about what a lot of MTs are averaging these days.  Could be a bit more, a bit less, but I had to pick a number. The experiment:  1.  Identify other jobs paying similar rates. 2.  Select some that generally come close to what I might call the "ambience" of MT as it now exists. I think I've found it, and here is where I wish with al ...

Took Me An Hour To Do
Apr 09, 2012

resplendent with tables and dictated through a tin can and string by a smug cardiologist who kept changing his mind. Took me over an hour to do. Checked the line count and I made $5.74. Really? And I'm supposed to be grateful I have a job. Can I draw unemployment to make up to minimum wage on that hour? ...

$12.00 AN HOUR
Jan 25, 2014

I have 25 years of MT experience.  With the decline of the MT profession, I applied for a data entry position at $12.00 an hour.  However, this company has a transcription department and has me doing transcription now, but they are still paying me $12.00 an hour.  Any thoughts? ...

So This Is What It Has Come To? $15 An Hour Max?
Feb 08, 2014

I know some of you are struggling to make minimum wage.  I have 32 years of teaching hospital experience.  I have had my own accounts.  I have had my own service.  And now after 32 years the most I can make, typing has hard and as fast as I can, is $15 an hour.  If I were 5 years older, I could retire (not that I can afford to retire, but I would get almost as much in Social Security as I get now working).I've made the big bucks.  I have had many lucrative year ...

$5 Per Hour
Mar 17, 2014

This is what I made yesterday. It seems to depend on the day. I had so many reports that had big chunks of sentences missing. Of course, as always, all medicine lists, the numbers were wrong, a few drugs spelled wrong. Vital signs wrong. Lab counts wrong. Don't you love when a new sentence starts with a number and this happens. 1. Numbering is such a huge issue still for voice rec. I know I will get a nasty email today reminding me that days like yesterday will cause MUP that j ...

By The Hour
Apr 27, 2014

Somebody somewhere got paid big bucks to devise some cockamamie formula for what they think we should achieve, lines per hour, etc, which doesn't work, does it, because every account is different, some weighted heavily toward editing and others toward transcription, some heavy ESL, others not.  There are too many variables to put us all under one roof production-wise.  If they wanted to simplify, why not pay us by the hour with an additonal ...

Per Hour Pay
Jun 27, 2014

What do you people think about a $55/ audio hour rate for transcribing?  Faxing individual notes to various MDs and uploading whole file and then individual reports to pt record to server included.  Is that enough for all that work? Thanks ...

6.60 An Hour On Second Day
Aug 28, 2014

I only made 6.60 an hour on my second day of work.  I was used to getting paid by the hour.  Did anyone else start off like this and get better? How long will it take? ...

Doing 140 Lines per Hour
Nov 19, 2009

I am now doing 140 lines per hour. Is that okay? ...

VR - How Many Lines Per Hour Do You Do? (sm)
Jan 21, 2010

With decades of experience as an MT, I'm just now getting into VR. I'd like to know, if you would please care to share, just how many lines per hour you are able to get with VR. I know this varies from person to person and platform to platform, but please, help me out with this! I'm terrified I'm going to go broke doing this! Thanks in advance. ...

VR - Lines Per Hour
Feb 05, 2010

I don't have much to compare to, as this is the only company I've worked for as an editor. I wanted to get an idea of the different platforms we each use and our lines per hour. Talking only about editing and not straight typing, what do you average lph and what platform do you use?  Thank you!  ...

Pay Per Hour Of Audio
Apr 22, 2010

I'm looking at a job that pays 50-55 dollars per recorded hour of audio.  This is interview or straight dictation transcription.  Does this sound okay?  I'm thinking if it takes me 2 hours to transcribe an hour, that wouldn't be such a bad deal.  I'm just not sure how long it would take me.  I do transcribe very fast...shortcuts are used for medical but can implement for this type of transcription as well.  Just not sure that the pay is reasonabl ...

2-hour, 2-hours?
Apr 28, 2010

Hello. I've got something I've been wondering about. I know that when saying something like "There is a 2-hour window ..." I should hyphenate 2-hour. What about when the word is plural? For example, 2 hours, 30 minutes, 4 days, etc. Do I hyphenate there? I work freelance for a lawyer doing SS disabilty claims, and he is extrememly laid back about rules (nor do I get any specific feedback) and I just do what I think is right, so I love to have somewhere I can go for experianc ...

Is There Such Thing As QA By The Hour
Aug 27, 2010

Are there companies that pay to do QA hourly?  If so where are they and who?  I do QA now and work 15 hours a day for less than $100 ...

How Many Lines Per Hour?
Sep 15, 2010

Trying to get an idea of how much I should be aiming for (working on building my speed).  How many lines per hour do you average?  (No VR or anything like that...just normal transcription).   Thanks!! ...

Is $12 An Hour Good Pay For QA As An IC?
Sep 19, 2010

I'm working as an IC MT right now and paid by the line, but was offered a QA position with the same company at $12 an hour.  Is this about what the going rate for QA is? ...

VR - How Much Can You Make Per Hour? Sm
Oct 13, 2010

Just out of curiosity - figure out what you make per hour doing VR.  I am looking for like $15/hr or whatever.  Then put that into the context of how much you make per hour doing straight transcription.  I don't want your name, your company or anything about you personally.  I am just curious to compare what people make doing VR paid per line translated into how much that is per hour. Thanks for any help. ...

Working For $4 An Hour
Nov 21, 2010

I am two months into my first MT position. I get to work at home, which is a wonderful thing for me  because my husband is ill. However, I am earning about $4 per hour because I am so slow.  I am accurate, but slow.  Is there a money curve where I should eventually get fast enough to at least make it to minimum wage?  I'm paid 5 cpl so I knew my pay wouldn't be big, but $4 an hour seems very sad to me because I have a year of training and going down to the school s ...

QA Pay Other Than By Lines Or By Hour
Dec 08, 2010

Hi! Just wanted to know... I have been told by others who are QA/editors that you dont always get paid by the line or by hour... some places pay them differently.  I dont understand how else you can get paid, that doesnt make any sense to me.  Anyone know anything about this?  I want to be an editor eventually but would like to at least make more than what I did when I transcribe.  thoughts? Thanks! Jiles ...

10 Hour Days?
Jan 10, 2011

Does MQ allow 10 hour days/4 day week? ...

Are There Any IC Positions With 24-hour TAT?
Jan 12, 2011

Can anyone give me information on companies who hire IC's with a 24-hour turn around time?  I want to get my work today and turn it in by a certain time the next day without having to work a schedule or in pools.  With everything else going on with these companies from low pay, heavy ESL's, and lack of work, I would at least like to have the flexibility of doing the work on MY time.  Thanks in advance.... ...

OTI Lines Per Day/hour - Sm
Feb 10, 2011

What is reasonable on the new account for which they are hiring?  Any feedback is appreciated. ...

WMX And 12 Hour Shifts
Feb 16, 2011

I saw someone post they were no longer offering 12 hours to get your 8 hours work done in.  Are they taking it away from the ones already on that schedule?  Gulp!!! ...