A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

California paid breaks - fedup

Posted: Apr 09, 2015

California is one of the few states that require paid breaks.  The way Nuance ignores this is illegal.  Does anyone have any experience with pushing this issue?

When I lived in CA... - Amber

[ In Reply To ..]
I had a similar situation where I worked security and we were required to come in 15 minutes before our shift for briefing from the prior shift. We were never paid for this time, which added up. I took them to the labor board and they awarded me overtime for 15 minutes every day I worked there.

In the situation with not being given breaks, when we review the time clock requirements I ask about breaks and am always reluctantly told that we can take a little break. If you have something in writing, an email or anything that states you can't take breaks, and you live in a state that requires they be given, contact the labor board. That is something I have not seen don yet.

Labor Board - fedup

[ In Reply To ..]
It was explained to me that breaks must be paid independent of production pay and must be included on your stub separately. I haven't been able to get any information from HR.

When I questioned it, I was told - fedup too

[ In Reply To ..]
something about a percentage of time allotted into the system metrics for it. Something about 15% system allowance, if that makes sense. I can't remember exactly what I was told and have searched high and low for that email to no avail. In a couple of weeks, I was going to start digging HR about this. About a month ago, I started documenting my actual work time also so as to have that written out instead of just WC. You never know when you may need that kind of thing.
Not legal - fedup
[ In Reply To ..]
This is the information the labor board gave me.

"Any employee who is not given a meal or rest break must be paid 1 hour of pay at their regular rate. If an employer refuses to pay this additional one hour̢۪s pay, the employee can either file a wage claim with the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement or retain a private employment attorney to fight it."
Fed up - Not a federal law
[ In Reply To ..]
Are you talking about CA or in general? Where I work we are not paid for our lunch break. We get an hour, but in essence it is a 9-hour day. Those who choose to forfeit that need to put it in writing. Obviously, if a person stays on the clock and works through lunch, they are going to get paid. If you check the federal labor laws, I think you will see that employers are not required to pay employees for their lunch hour.
Rest period - fedup
[ In Reply To ..]
This is referring to California rest period laws specifically. Paid rest periods of 10 minutes for every 4 hours worked are required in California. Lunch breaks are not required to be paid, but must be provided.
Link - fedup
[ In Reply To ..]
http://blog.hkemploymentlaw.com/index.php/court-holds-that-because-rest-periods-must-be-separately-compensated-for-in-a-piece-rate-pay-plan-class-should-have-been-certified/
$7800!!!!! - fedup
[ In Reply To ..]
According to the Labor Board, back pay is recoverable for 3 years. Five days a week for 3 years at let's just say an even $10 per hour equals $7800!!
So we need to get on this before the first 3 years - is up.
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
Hire date - fedup
[ In Reply To ..]
My hire date on my pay stub shows over 3 years and they are using the same ID number still for taxes as Transcend, so I am claiming 3 years.

I suspect they will just quit hiring MLS from CA. - Ben Tover

[ In Reply To ..]
I know other companies that refuse to hire any MLS from California because of the labor laws they do not want to follow.

Not just CA - Break taker

[ In Reply To ..]
The two 10-15 minute breaks are also a law in WA and a few other states. I am unsure if the MTSOs are bound by state labor laws. I would suggest discussing it with your manager or HR department first and then taking it further if need be. As you are paid on production, log out, take your break and log back in. You might not get paid for that time but at least you will be getting a break from work.

Similar Messages:

Paid Breaks
May 27, 2015

Has anyone every received an employee handbook?  I found this quite interesting, especially the part about state compliance with paid breaks.  I am sure the labor commissioner is going to love that sentence stating taking breaks may affect your MUP/benefit eligibility/weekly hour requirements.  How are they going to explain how this is a paid break? "MEALS/REST BREAKS Employees that are scheduled to work more than six consecutive hours are entitled to two 15 minute paid break periods and ...

Paid Lunch Breaks
Dec 27, 2012

In the training, it said that we get 2 paid 15 minutes breaks in a 6 hour shift.  How is that figured?  It is automatic? ...

Paid 0.25 Hour Breaks X2?
Jul 11, 2013

In my state, there are supposed to be 2 paid 15-minute breaks if one works 8 hours.  I questioned my company HR about this and was told "there was a slight amount added to our line rate"  to cover this.  What??  how is that a break.  I am wondering:  1.  How many companies do this?   2.  Do any pay for the 15-minute break? 3.  How many states honor this?  (check with your state Labor Relations Board). ?  ] 4.  Is there a legal ...

There Was Talk Of CA Employees Not Getting Paid Breaks.
May 13, 2015

Has anyone filed a wage claim yet?  Just curious how that is going.  ...

"Paid" Breaks... Again...
Apr 05, 2013

It's pretty obvious that we are not being paid for our "paid" breaks to which we are entitled which really irks me to say the least.  Have any of you done the math on this? I just did.  If you took your 2 breaks per day and were paid for them, that would be equal to 1/2 hour of paid time. Let's just say you make $8/hr. That's equal to $4/day in paid breaks or $20/week if you work 5 days/wk.  Multiply this x52 weeks = $1040/yr. I've been with Nuance since they b ...

HOW OFTEN DO YOU TAKE BREAKS?
Nov 10, 2009

When you guys type how often do you take breaks?  Do you find that if you take frequent breaks - say every hour or hour and a half for about 5 minutes that you are more productive?  Or do you sit and type for more than 2 hours straight without stopping?  Just wondering how often others take breaks.  This was also one of the "tips" given by the top producers of the company according to MQ.  They claimed these folks took frequent breaks but went hard at it for an hour or s ...

Sentence Breaks
Nov 12, 2009

Hello to all MT posters- - Am wondering about tips about sentence breaks and comma use. Any advice/guidelines when the doctor is running fast and sentence breaks and paragraphing don't seem obvious? -Thanks to the MT's that give advise in a  professional manner. So many of the newbie posts hit right at home. -Still waiting for my AIM internship to start. Has anyone interned with AIM?   Diane   ...

Regarding Breaks In Certain States
Nov 14, 2009

I lost the email, but supposedly I get a 10-minute break after 4 hours. Do I clock out of DQS but stay clocked on at ScheduleSource or do I stay logged onto both and walk away from the computer for 10 minutes? Does it show up on the time card or only on the pay stub. Does anyone know the details? Thank you. ...

Re PTO Taxes, Breaks
Jul 03, 2012

ok here's the dirt from payroll. If you are paid a lump sum such as PTO, the IRS  considers it "supplemental" and taxes it at 25%! So, if you're considering leaving, best to take all the PTO you have before. Wish I would have known that before. As far as paid breaks, I didn't realize it was "state" dependent...so thanks for that information. Cudos for KY this time requiring a break after 4 hours.  Either way, it would not have mattered to me as I took a break whenev ...

Bathroom Breaks, Etc.
May 13, 2015

I have recently stopped punching in and out for bathroom breaks, coffee, stretching, etc., because in the work place no one has to punch out to use the bathroom, etc. I feel this is very unfair to expect us to punch in and out to use the bathroom. Anyone else? ...

Rest Breaks
May 15, 2015

Does M*Modal pay for rest breaks? ...

Tax Breaks For Companies That OFFSHORE!
Jan 28, 2010

Anybody rejoicing over the fact that we may be finally stopping the offshoring of jobs overseas? I think we should have a party! ...

MQ, Federal Government And Tax Breaks
Mar 13, 2010

After seeing CBay's lovely employee website extolling the awards they will bestoweth upon any Indian who works for them, I was wondering.  Looking at the the enless football field size rooms of computers, (many, many, many computers), desks, chairs, headphones, the brand-new buildings themselves, the exercise room with top notch expensive exericise equipment, the yoga teacher, the buses used to transport them to and from work, the workers hired to drive those buses, the free medi ...

Has Anyone Got An Answer On How To Document Breaks?
Jun 22, 2015

.. ...

When Clocking Out For Breaks, How Do You Make Up Time?
Oct 21, 2013

If I clock out to go to the bathroom, how do I make up the time and stay within my "scheduled hours"?  Just wondering how everyone else works this out.  Apparently, they no have a perfomance checker to correlate when clocked in and actually on what you are doing in DQM now.  Also, does anyone know how to check the time worked in DQM? ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...

California MTs......Is There Anyone Out There Who Has
Jan 30, 2011

had difficulty finding a job with an MTSO and suspect it is because you live in CA (they probably don't like the fair worker's laws we have here, ie, having to pay our benefit rate for OT, having to pay for NJA, etc). I'm addressing any MTs who have RECENTLY gotten hired by an MTSO AND live in CA.  Not ones who live in CA (like me) who have had their jobs for over 3 years or so........       ...

California Dreamin
Dec 12, 2009

Does anyone know if MQ has "cost of living adjustments" in different parts of the country or if everyone in the US makes about the same line rate range?  We were thinking of moving to Ca from Texas.  I know I make barely enough to keep my head above water here in Texas.  Wondering if the Ca MQ transcripitionists make more?  ...

California Transcription?
Feb 19, 2010

Anyone have experience with this company?  Know much about it?    Thanks! ...

Hey, Kiki, And Other California MTs
Mar 02, 2010

I, too, live in California.  I'm a level-3 MT, getting mostly ESLs and other difficult dictators.  I've brought my QA percentage down from 22 to 20% but it's impossible for me to go any lower with what I'm being routed.  It looks like our job description has changed dramatically.  Because of these new changes imposed by corporate, I'll now be getting paid 3 cents less through no fault of my own, but a different job description, not what I was hired to ...

Financial Help In California
Apr 28, 2010

Because of our situation with MQ if anyone finds that utility, rent has a shut off notice you can dial 2-1-1 and they will assist you on taking care of this immediate need.  ...

FutureNet In California
May 13, 2010

Does anyone presently work for or in the recent past worked for FutureNet out of California? They are currently hiring and I would like to know of anyone's experience working for them either as an MT or an Editor. Do they have plenty of work, pay on time, nice to work for, is the pay rate decent, etc.  Yes, I have searched the Archives, but would like more recent information if available. Thanks in advance to anyone who can supply this. ...

California Transcription
May 15, 2010

What is wrong with these people??? I am looking for anyone who has had or does have experience with this husband/wife team.  I am having a very hard time working at this place and I need to know what the deal is with these people.  Are they just RUDE or what?? ...

MTs In California - Question
Oct 20, 2010

I need to know if Keystrokes hires California MTs.  I am unable to get OT because of the generous OT laws in California so want to know which companies hire California MTs before I waste my time.   Are there MTs in California who work for Keystrokes Transcription Service?  ...

Medwrite Of California
Apr 10, 2013

Looking for information on Medwrite of California such as do they pay on time, plenty of work, etc., or should I even bother.  Thanks! ...

California NJA Compensation
Aug 07, 2013

To whoever it was that said they are compensated for NJA in California, can you give me some more info on how you found out about CA compensation for NJA?  Did your TSM or HR confirm?  How exactly do you enter it in Teamwork?  I am also a California MT with NJA almost every day.  Thanks. ...

Discrimination Against California?
Feb 06, 2014

I've seen where some companies are not interested in hiring MLSs from California (presumably because of labor laws). I'm wondering if any Nuance MLSs from California have felt some bad vibes lately? I'm wondering if they want to get rid of us. ...

Hahaha! California
May 30, 2014

Minimum wage is now $13 an hour.  That may put an end to MTSOs hiring from CA. ...

Any MTs From California Still Working At MM?
Oct 03, 2014

If so, are you FT or PT?  Just wondering if they have gotten rid of all the PTers in CA.  ...

California Residents?
Apr 02, 2015

I am just curious how many other MTs are in California.  We may need to join forces.  ...