A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MQ, Federal Government and Tax Breaks - I was wondering . .

Posted: Mar 13, 2010

After seeing CBay's lovely employee website extolling the awards they will bestoweth upon any Indian who works for them, I was wondering. 

Looking at the the enless football field size rooms of computers, (many, many, many computers), desks, chairs, headphones, the brand-new buildings themselves, the exercise room with top notch expensive exericise equipment, the yoga teacher, the buses used to transport them to and from work, the workers hired to drive those buses, the free medical insurance for them and their famiiles -- a horrible thought came to my mind.

Could it be that MQ/CBay has received tax breaks and/or flat out cash from the US Government to send our jobs overseas and to buy all that stuff for the Indian people? 

Is there somewhere to go look for that information, to see what kind of federal money MQ has received, and if it has received any type of business stimulus money? 

I don't know how or where I would find this information.  But I would love to know. 

If there anyone out there who knows where I can find information about just what money MQ has received from the federal government please share.  I am just really interested. 

Also, there was once a poster on here who had a lot of legal background.  If you are still on here, do you think it would be worthwhile to pursue finding out or challenging MQ concerning age discrimination and the ages of the people who have been let go and the ages of the newbies being hired?  I mention this because CBay opening will not hire anyone past the age of 40 in India.  It is well documented all over the internet by their own want ads. 

Just thinking. 

I am so ***** with your post. Here ya go. - I think this is what you may want.

[ In Reply To ..]
This company makes me SICK!

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:JbaggHuBRtQJ:www.faqs.org/sec-filings/100204/MEDQUIST-INC_8-K/medquistfinalapa.htm+MEdquist+received+tax+benefits+from+government&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

STOCK AND ASSET PURCHASE AGREEMENT

BY AND AMONG

SPHERIS HOLDING II, INC.

SPHERIS INC.,

SPHERIS OPERATIONS LLC,

VIANETA COMMUNICATIONS,

SPHERIS LEASING LLC,

SPHERIS CANADA INC.,

AS SELLERS

â and â

CBAY INC., and

MEDQUIST INC.,

AS PURCHASERS

Dated as of February 2, 2010

Read more: http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:JbaggHuBRtQJ:www.faqs.org/sec-filings/100204/MEDQUIST-INC_8-K/medquistfinalapa.htm+MEdquist+received+tax+benefits+from+government&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a#ixzz0i5VDylci

âFunded India Transfer Pricing Taxâ means cash paid or pledged, to the taxing authorities in India, or otherwise deemed Spheris India Restricted Cash, in respect of tax assessments resulting from one or more transfer pricing tax audits.

"Foreign Benefit Plansâ means each Indian Benefit Plan and any other plan, program or contract that is subject to or governed by the laws of a jurisdiction other than the United States which would have been treated as a U.S. Benefit Plan had it been a U.S. plan, program or contract.

MedQuist Reports Results for the Fourth Quarter and 2009

PR Newswire

MOUNT LAUREL, N.J., March 12

MOUNT LAUREL, N.J., March 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- MedQuist Inc., (Nasdaq: MEDQ), a leading provider of medical transcription services, and a leader in the technology-enabled clinical documentation workflow, today announced its financial results for the fourth quarter and full year ended December 31, 2009.

âWe are pleased with our results for the fourth quarter and full year ended 2009 during which we increased Adjusted EBITDA 41% and 75%, respectively,â said CEO Peter Masanotti. "Backed by a competitive set of product offerings, strong sales performance and improved customer retention, our transcription volumes have increased year over year. While declining industry price levels have dampened our revenue results, these declines have been matched with systemic unit cost improvements including increased use of technology and an expanded relationship with our affiliate company CBay yielding the positive Adjusted EBITDA results.â

Fourth Quarter Results

Net revenues for the fourth calendar quarter of 2009 were $73.9 million, a decline of $5.5 million or 6.9% as compared to the fourth quarter of 2008. We grew transcription volumes during the fourth quarter and experienced lower average pricing.

Operating income for the fourth quarter of 2009 was $7.1 million compared to an operating loss in the fourth quarter of 2008 of $79.6 million. Total operating costs and expenses for the fourth quarter of 2009 were $66.9 million compared to $76.7 million for the same quarter in 2008 (excluding a goodwill impairment charge of $82.2 million). The decline of 12.8% from 2008 to 2009 is largely the result of cost reduction programs that significantly reduced cost of revenues as well as most other categories of expense. Cost control and cost reduction programs are ongoing as the Company addresses a very competitive pricing environment for our products and services.

Net income for the fourth quarter of 2009 was $5.9 million or $0.16 per diluted share compared to a net loss of $60.5 million ($1.61) per diluted share for the fourth quarter of 2008.

Adjusted EBITDA (which is operating earnings (loss) excluding depreciation, amortization of intangible assets, cost of legal proceedings and settlements, net, acquisition related charges, goodwill impairment charge and restructuring charges) increased 41.3% to $15.7 million in the fourth quarter of 2009 as compared to $11.1 million reported in the same quarter for 2008.

Full Year Results:

For the year ended December 31, 2009, the company reported $307.2 million in net revenues or a 6.0% decline when compared to the prior year when $326.9 million in net revenues were reported. The decline in net revenues is due primarily to lower prices realized for our transcription services and declining maintenance revenues associated with legacy systems that are currently being replaced with enhanced technology solutions at certain customer locations.

Total operating costs and expenses for the year ended December 31, 2009 were $283.8 million, substantially lower than total operating costs and expenses of $333.1 million for the year ended December 31 2008 (excluding a goodwill impairment charge of $82.2 million). The decrease in operating costs and expenses of $49.2 million or 14.8% (when excluding the goodwill impairment charge of $82.2 million for the year ended December 31, 2008) was the result of broad cost reduction and restructuring programs that significantly reduced both the cost of revenues and most other categories of expense.

Operating income for the year ended December 31, 2009 was $23.4 million compared to an operating loss of $88.4 million for the same period in 2008. Net income for the year ended December 31, 2009 was $23.3 million or $0.62 per diluted share compared to a net loss of $68.8 million or ($1.83) per diluted share for the same period in 2008.

Adjusted EBITDA for the year ended December 31, 2009 increased 74.8% to $57.9 million when compared to the $33.1 million reported for the same period in 2008.

As of December 31, 2009, the Company had $25.2 million of cash and cash equivalents and no debt.

In addition to the United States generally accepted accounting principles, or GAAP, results provided throughout this document, MedQuist has provided Adjusted EBITDA which is a non-GAAP financial measurement. Management believes that this non-GAAP financial measure used to manage the business may provide our investors with useful information in addition to the GAAP financial measures presented here. The tables attached to this press release include a reconciliation of this non-GAAP financial measure to the most directly comparable GAAP financial measure and a description of why we believe the non-GAAP financial measure is useful to investors.

http://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/n171307/medquist-reports-results-for-the-fourth-quarter-and-2009

MQ does it again - Michael

[ In Reply To ..]
and doesn't even give anybody a kiss.

My husband keeps hounding me how we all need - to band together and go public.

[ In Reply To ..]
THE COMPANY IS JUST USING US! GET A CLUE PEOPLE! We should stand and fight, but yet we all just put up with the crap and then at the end, you will be left high and dry with no job period! Then you are going to wish that you did do something earlier.

I feel like a cow in that CNN video clipping on Youtube from California. We all just keep our mouths shut and put up with the abuse and being mistreated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OjhPVL48Ks
And you suggest? - LucyK
[ In Reply To ..]
What do you suggest we do? Strike? Sue? We are in a recession. Many of us have no choice but to stay until we find something better. We can't force the suits to stop being greedy, selfish and completely immoral. I have thought, however, of contacting the clients, and also the media. Don't know if it would do much good, though.
I am sick of MQ games, too, - but I know there is not much
[ In Reply To ..]
we can do about it. The clients wouldn't care. The media already knows. So does our government. What MQ and CBay are doing is status quo for big business today. Not sure what options there would really be, besides get out of the business, get a different job out of transcription, or find a transcription job at a small hospital or clinic or doctor's office that doesn't outsource, or go back to school and learn an entirely new trade, or start your own business of some sort, or hit on the lottery for a few million and good luck on that one.

Other than that, I'm not sure what can be done. Sad but true.

And in essence, we are all paying taxes out of our own paychecks - towards our own demise.

[ In Reply To ..]
And to help the Indian transcription industry thrive.

What a great government we got!!!

Similar Messages:

If You Work On VA Or Other Federal Government Med Transcription
Jun 27, 2014

For anyone who currently works for an MTSO that handles VA or other federal government work, you must have employee status and be paid at least the hourly wage determination rate.  The wage determination rate is NOT the same as minimum wage.  It is, in most cases, significantly higher, and each county in every state has their own WDR.  If you are not being paid properly, you can file an ANONYMOUS complaint with the Department of Labor.  If no one complains, these MTSOs will c ...

Offshoring And Our Now Government
Jun 26, 2011

It does not matter if you choose a service that does not offshore.  Most of the hospitals are using 2 services anyway and they do NOT want to pay for transcription.  This is big business and it keeps the money flowing to the people who demand high salaries and who have direct patient contact.  It is no big deal that the reports come back horrible.  The hospitals have wanted for years to rid any of the jobs that were not of 'direct patient contact' and we were t ...

Government Contracts
Nov 13, 2014

I have contacted Kerry Bentivolio, Congressman for my district, several times regarding the latest taxpayer travesty. Contracts for medical transcription work at the VA Hospitals are now being awarded to an Indian company, IMedx. Financial support for these hospitals is being provided by taxpayers, and those jobs and contracts should be awarded to AMERICANS. There are numerous AMERICAN transcription companies that could not only handle this work, but provide more accurate transcription services ...

If The Government Is Going To Raise Minimum Wage?
Feb 27, 2013

I'm wondering if a lot of the transcription companies are waiting to see if the government is going to raise minimum wage to $9.00 an hour.  Will they raise the line counts then?  ...

Keep Our Jobs In America Official Government Petition Link!
Nov 03, 2011

Here's the official government link for those who are sick of the whining about losing jobs to India via the Q and want to do something about it!  All you naysayers, do something or stop whining about it.  We need lots of votes, so please go vote and stand up! PLEASE!   http://wh.gov/TFH ...

Does Anyone Have Info About A Company Called Genesis Government Solutions? Sm
Nov 30, 2014

What platform do they use and is it user friendly?  Is the transcription straight typing, VR, or a mix?  How is the workload?  TIA ...

No Federal Tax Withheld
Feb 04, 2011

Does anyone know why for the year 2010 I didn't have any federal taxes taken out of my pay check.  Did that happen for anyone else from Medquist ?  ...

Federal Job Openings In Coding
Mar 02, 2014

There are 34 coding jobs announcements on www.usajobs.gov today. Some are for more than one  position. To see them, search for keyword 0675 and open to federal employees. Looks like 24 of them are open to those who are not yet federal employees.  There are also 11 job announcements for medical record administrators, some of which may be in coding.  To see them, search for 0669.   ...

What Happened To The Federal Tax Withholding Post?
Jan 26, 2010

nm ...

Federal Guidelines To Meet For ICs Under HIPAA
Sep 09, 2013

So I passed the BA Agreement, proof of liability insurance and Policies and Procedures with the company, so I may still be able to work as an IC and not an employee, but here is their response: "You must first provide proof that you meet the Federal Guidelines to remain an IC before providing proof of insurance or policies and procedures. You can research this by doing a Google search but these guidelines MUST be met in order to remain an IC." I already also passed the HIPAA training. What e ...

Wage Theft -- At Federal Level Says This Only
Mar 13, 2015

This is all you get at the Federal level: "No deduction may be made from an employee's wages which would reduce the employee's earnings below the required minimum wage or overtime compensation." You have to look to see what your state says about it to see if docking pay for mistakes comes under wage theft. As we know, they will give you MUP if you fall below minimum wage, so they have covered themselves on that, unless your state says differently. ...

Medquist Workers Eligible For Federal Assistance
Nov 10, 2009

WEBSITE BELOW http://newsok.com/medquist-workers-eligible-for-fed-assistance/article/3415214 MedQuist workers eligible for fed assistance FROM STAFF REPORTS    Comments 0 Published: November 7, 2009 The Labor Department report concluded that all MedQuist employees, including those working at home, who became "totally or partially separated from employment” after Aug. 26, 2008, are eligible to apply for the assistance. Read more: http://newsok.com/medquist-worke ...

HOW OFTEN DO YOU TAKE BREAKS?
Nov 10, 2009

When you guys type how often do you take breaks?  Do you find that if you take frequent breaks - say every hour or hour and a half for about 5 minutes that you are more productive?  Or do you sit and type for more than 2 hours straight without stopping?  Just wondering how often others take breaks.  This was also one of the "tips" given by the top producers of the company according to MQ.  They claimed these folks took frequent breaks but went hard at it for an hour or s ...

Direct Violations Of Federal Law Subjecting Disabled Employees To
Jul 02, 2014

Big time. I hope HR goes to prison. ...

Sentence Breaks
Nov 12, 2009

Hello to all MT posters- - Am wondering about tips about sentence breaks and comma use. Any advice/guidelines when the doctor is running fast and sentence breaks and paragraphing don't seem obvious? -Thanks to the MT's that give advise in a  professional manner. So many of the newbie posts hit right at home. -Still waiting for my AIM internship to start. Has anyone interned with AIM?   Diane   ...

Regarding Breaks In Certain States
Nov 14, 2009

I lost the email, but supposedly I get a 10-minute break after 4 hours. Do I clock out of DQS but stay clocked on at ScheduleSource or do I stay logged onto both and walk away from the computer for 10 minutes? Does it show up on the time card or only on the pay stub. Does anyone know the details? Thank you. ...

Re PTO Taxes, Breaks
Jul 03, 2012

ok here's the dirt from payroll. If you are paid a lump sum such as PTO, the IRS  considers it "supplemental" and taxes it at 25%! So, if you're considering leaving, best to take all the PTO you have before. Wish I would have known that before. As far as paid breaks, I didn't realize it was "state" dependent...so thanks for that information. Cudos for KY this time requiring a break after 4 hours.  Either way, it would not have mattered to me as I took a break whenev ...

Bathroom Breaks, Etc.
May 13, 2015

I have recently stopped punching in and out for bathroom breaks, coffee, stretching, etc., because in the work place no one has to punch out to use the bathroom, etc. I feel this is very unfair to expect us to punch in and out to use the bathroom. Anyone else? ...

Rest Breaks
May 15, 2015

Does M*Modal pay for rest breaks? ...

Paid Breaks
May 27, 2015

Has anyone every received an employee handbook?  I found this quite interesting, especially the part about state compliance with paid breaks.  I am sure the labor commissioner is going to love that sentence stating taking breaks may affect your MUP/benefit eligibility/weekly hour requirements.  How are they going to explain how this is a paid break? "MEALS/REST BREAKS Employees that are scheduled to work more than six consecutive hours are entitled to two 15 minute paid break periods and ...

Execuscribe: Any Info On How They - Ensure Federal Guidelines With Regards To Minimum Wage
Jan 10, 2010

Anyone currently work for or recently just left ExecuScribe have information they would be willing to share about how they pay?  I am curious about the statement they have on their web site.  How do they handle down times (no work, computer/internet not working, etc) to “ensure…federal guidelines with regards to minimum wage and over-time laws”?  Since they require testing with the application, if you are willing, could you also answer the following, so I know ...

Tax Breaks For Companies That OFFSHORE!
Jan 28, 2010

Anybody rejoicing over the fact that we may be finally stopping the offshoring of jobs overseas? I think we should have a party! ...

Paid Lunch Breaks
Dec 27, 2012

In the training, it said that we get 2 paid 15 minutes breaks in a 6 hour shift.  How is that figured?  It is automatic? ...

Paid 0.25 Hour Breaks X2?
Jul 11, 2013

In my state, there are supposed to be 2 paid 15-minute breaks if one works 8 hours.  I questioned my company HR about this and was told "there was a slight amount added to our line rate"  to cover this.  What??  how is that a break.  I am wondering:  1.  How many companies do this?   2.  Do any pay for the 15-minute break? 3.  How many states honor this?  (check with your state Labor Relations Board). ?  ] 4.  Is there a legal ...

California Paid Breaks
Apr 09, 2015

California is one of the few states that require paid breaks.  The way Nuance ignores this is illegal.  Does anyone have any experience with pushing this issue? ...

Has Anyone Got An Answer On How To Document Breaks?
Jun 22, 2015

.. ...

When Clocking Out For Breaks, How Do You Make Up Time?
Oct 21, 2013

If I clock out to go to the bathroom, how do I make up the time and stay within my "scheduled hours"?  Just wondering how everyone else works this out.  Apparently, they no have a perfomance checker to correlate when clocked in and actually on what you are doing in DQM now.  Also, does anyone know how to check the time worked in DQM? ...

There Was Talk Of CA Employees Not Getting Paid Breaks.
May 13, 2015

Has anyone filed a wage claim yet?  Just curious how that is going.  ...

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...

"Paid" Breaks... Again...
Apr 05, 2013

It's pretty obvious that we are not being paid for our "paid" breaks to which we are entitled which really irks me to say the least.  Have any of you done the math on this? I just did.  If you took your 2 breaks per day and were paid for them, that would be equal to 1/2 hour of paid time. Let's just say you make $8/hr. That's equal to $4/day in paid breaks or $20/week if you work 5 days/wk.  Multiply this x52 weeks = $1040/yr. I've been with Nuance since they b ...