A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Who do I contact about unfair labor practices? - Disillusioned

Posted: Aug 12, 2011

I had a very bad experience recenly with a company which will remain unnamed.    I had been  intentionally decieved about some policies.   

If I recall correctly I had read something about the labor board.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to contact them.  

This was an INTENTIONAL , DELIBERATE misrepresentation.   Since I am no longer with said company I really have nothing to lose.   I have also read repeated comments about the ethics of this company and feel like I should stand up to them.  

Any advice appreciated.  

Try Dept of Labor in their state and BBB. n/m - SP

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

You - Go

[ In Reply To ..]
Knowlegable on the topic and willing to assist you if you find yourself needing it. The more who stand up to the BS that is going on the better the chance of stopping the BS that is going on. Good luck.

Misrepresentation - Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, indeed, MedQuist continues to misrepresent its pay policies. For example, they are recuiring people by telling them that the "First Time Right" policy is based upon LINES sent to QA. If more than 5% of lines are sent to QA, each subsequent line is paid 3 cpl less. IN FACT, they are basing this on REPORTS, not lines, so ALL of the lines in a report (not just the line) are paid 3 cpl less. I would suggest you file a report with your state's Fair Labor Board. You can also contact the law firm that handled the class action suit against MedQuist for miscounting lines. This is clearly a MISREPRESENTATION, one that MedQuist knows (or would be expected to know) is MISREPRESENTATION.

My message to other MTs is this: STOP BEING SHEEP!! If the company you work for is cheating you, QUIT. If you are making less than $15 per hour doing transcription or editing, you are being exploited. Even a nursing assistant with only 2 weeks of training makes more than $15 an hour.

Robin - Misrepresentation - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Q: How can you tell when MedQuist is lying?

A. When their lips are moving.

Similar Messages:

Labor Board Contact On Previous MTSO
Dec 09, 2014

Anyone else hear from a wages & hours investigator from a Labor Board on a well known MTSO?  I do not want to reveal the name, as I think all should worry about this and don't want to tip off the one they are investigating.   ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Med Ink-unfair QA?
Jan 23, 2012

Hey, has anybody taken a job with Med Ink and not passed QA? Any shared experience would be appreciated. ...

This Seems Unfair To Me
Sep 19, 2012

Scoring the ones I send to QA for proofing because of blanks.  Obviously had trouble or would not have sent it to QA, just wanted another set of ears, QA person couldn't even fill in all the blanks, yet went ahead and scored the report.  (No, it didn't pass.) ...

VR Unfair All Around
Apr 23, 2014

I just finished typing a VR dictation that was a little over 100 lines and VR picked up probably 10 correct words in the whole dictation.  Basicallly, I had to type the whole report but only got VR pay, which is half of straight typing pay.  How is this fair? It's not.  This whole situation is wrong.  ...

MedQuist Pay Cut For ASR Is Unfair.
Dec 09, 2010

Editing/proofreading ASR is just as much work as straight transcription. It should be paid the same. Trying to micromanage productivity and skew the data to somehow show we are being "lazy" (ex. productivity e-mails on inactive time) won't change the glaringly obvious fact that the MT is being ripped off. In what other profession would you see a pay cut for using a tool? Mechanic? Let's see. They used to have to practically dismantle half of the engine to diagnose a problem.  ...

Unfair And Illogical
Mar 19, 2015

How are we supposed to make up our time AND do the mandatory OT??   ...

It Is Totally Ridiculous (and Unfair) And Crazy To Still Be Making
Jul 15, 2011

3 corrections per line when editing MQ's ASR and especially for 4 cents. And I am even stupider for continuing to do this. Grrrrr... For the last week, I have so been teetering on writing a truth-filled (and consequently not nice) letter to the ASR department condemning them for their shoddy work. Although, I'm sure I would get in plenty of trouble. ...

Best Practices Protocol
Dec 04, 2009

Patient has COPD exacerbation and acute bronchitis.  Doc dictates, "The patient was started on the best practices protocol."  Any information?  Is this an internal set of procedures or possibly a standard of care for the specialty? ...

QA And Feedback Practices
Oct 03, 2011

I was wondering what others think about this.  When QA sends feedback at my company, the feedback is also sent to all regional manager and all the team leaders in that region. I think this creates unnecessary embarassment and humiliation for the MT getting the feedback and I feel this practice is unfair, especially when they are not critical errors. Feedback is supposed to be helpful and encourage the MT to improve and step up their game but when it is done th ...

Shady Practices
Apr 02, 2013

I recently got 'promoted' to MME, having taken the test with the understanding that I would receive a 5% pay raise to my transcription and VR base rates (according to MM intranet MME FAQs document).  But the recent e-mail we received, asking tier-3 MTs to become MMEs, says we are "eligible to be considered for" a pay raise.  What?  Does that mean my raise is going to be raffled off or something?  Feels like bait and switch, and just another example of sketchy practi ...

Did Anyone Else Get Get An F11 Best Practices Email?
Apr 10, 2013

I F11`d a report a few weeks ago and now I got a generic F11 best practices email. It states the only acceptable use of F11 is an exception listed in a CP. I have never seen that in a CP! I have also found, besides being very inefficiently written, many CPs are out of date, i.e., states you must do certain things that have since changed. It is SO frustrating! The document was such a hot mess that I had to retype it as 90% of the ASR was garbage. ...

New Medquist Article About Best Practices
Aug 06, 2010

AUSTIN, Texas, Aug. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- 2010 AHDI Conference -- MedQuist Inc. (Nasdaq: MEDQ), a leading provider of technology-enabled clinical documentation services, continues to support industry best practices for quality standards and metrics.  Together with the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI), the Medical Transcription Industry Association (MTIA) and other industry quality leaders, ...

Precyse Hiring Practices
Feb 07, 2013

Hi everyone:)  This is in reference to the message left about applying for work at Precyse.  One MT stated that their hiring practices left a lot to be desired and she took the test and felt she wasted her time.  I am now among the ranks of those that tried and didn't make it.  I took the test, and looked over everything carefully and felt I had done a good job.  I took the job in the late evening and not even 1 hour later I got a message that I was not a "good fit ...

Deceptive Hiring Practices?
May 26, 2013

FYI, when negotiating with potential employer, DO pin them down in detail about how they pay for *editing*. My recent experience: Offered job paying 8 cents straight typing (which there is not much of), and 4 cents for editing. I was aware up front that the edited line was considered 1-1/2 *regular lines*, or 97.5 characters (Visible Black, of course) constituted an edited line. Most recent information regarding this pay, their software was not able to calculate the 97.5 rate for editing, so t ...

RE: DISABILITY AND HIRING/FIRING PRACTICES
Mar 20, 2014

Hi, I was just pondering something: This does not apply to me personally, but I was curious as to whether any company, say MModal, Nuance, etc. have ever laid off any disabled employees, like visually impaired, paraplegic, etc. due to quality of work or whatever. I was curious if they have employees who work for them who are disabled in this way and if they have ever terminated any of them, what kind of legal trouble could they make?   ...

The Unconstitutional Employment Practices Of MedQuist And CBay
Mar 17, 2010

I'm NOT an attorney; therefore, cannot give any legal advice.  If you want to pursue the issues addressed below, please consult an attorney.   In the case of Department of State v. Washington Post Co., 456 US 595 (1982), the Department of State refused to disclose private information of individuals to an "American" corporation, "Washington Post", citing the policy of not disclosing "personnel and medical files and similar files the disclosure of which would constitute a clearly ...

QASAR Back. Also New ADHI Best Practices In 2011
Dec 16, 2010

Here's the link for ADHI Quality Assessment and Best Practices http://www.ahdionline.org/Portals/0/downloads/QABestPracticesJuly2010.pdf or http://tinyurl.com/AHDI-best-practices In this document, they do point out there are valid reasons for blanks. So... if MQ is going to adopt this, we should no longer be punished for valid blanks. They also include standards for dictators and recognize that lack of dictator compliance with these standards is a cause for blanks. Plus, IMO, ...

Interesting Article About Fraudulent Scribing Practices
Mar 09, 2014

Hmmmmmm...I think I'll pass on trying to become a scribe. I don't think I could do what this scribe is asked to do. ...

Voice Recognition Vs Transcribing, Unjust Hiring Practices
Mar 21, 2011

Over the past four months I have been hired by companies ***** after passing all the necessary tests and background checks as a medical  transcriptionist.  Each and every time I was offered $ 0.9/line, told I would have very little voice recognition if any which, would pay anywhere from $0.3 to 0.5/line. Once I get onboard and through training, I find out 90% is voice recognition!!  I am applying for medical transcriptionist jobs - not Editor, QA, or Speech. I have been in t ...

Labor Day
Sep 01, 2014

Today is paid at time and a half correct? ...

Labor And Delivery - Help
Mar 24, 2010

s/l  ...  ciesis at term, onset of labor pains... Thanks! ...

OB Help (labor Problem)
Aug 17, 2010

Doc says: "Cesarean was done for s/l arrest of dilatation and descent."  OB is my worst specialty.  I can never figure this stuff out.  Does anyone know if arrest of dilatation and descent is right? I googled and found a couple of variations on this, but nothing absolute. Thanks in advance. ...

Labor Day Is Meaningless For MTs. For Us,
Sep 03, 2010

I don't even really know what the holiday is supposed to be about.  I've been an MT for so long, I can't even remember the last time I had the day off on Labor Day.   As a result, I haven't really paid attention to, or even cared, about what it's supposed to be.  From what I can see, living near a large body of water, it appears that Labor Day is about drinking beer to the point of major intoxication, and then crashing your boat in ...

US Fair Labor Act
Sep 20, 2011

(e)Study of effects of foreign production on unemployment; report to President and CongressWhenever the Secretary has reason to believe that in any industry under this chapter the competition of foreign producers in United States markets or in markets abroad, or both, has resulted, or is likely to result, in increased unemployment in the United States, he shall undertake an investigation to gain full information with respect to the matter. If he determines such increased unemployment has in fact ...

According To US Dept Of Labor
Dec 15, 2012

Recognized as top career choice by US Dept of Labor Statistics, "employment of medical transcriptions is projected to grow faster on average compared to all other occupations through 2014." In addition, with new health care legislation, adding nearly 50 million people to health insurance will definitely increase the demand for more transcribers.   What a crock. ...

SBE Or SVE Was Complete During Course Of Labor
Apr 14, 2013

nm ...

Labor Trafficking
May 06, 2014

to consider MTs are victims of labor trafficking? And to the obvious comments about no one forcing MTs to keep their positions or don't be a victim...  This profession has been demolished by the greed of MTSOs and MTs were not part of the conversation (unless they were small MTSO owners who sold out or AAMT employees who sold us out).  MT has become an abusive and degrading job to have, no longer a profession.   Skip to main content U.S. Department of Healt ...

Labor Day And OOW, But Couldn't Have It Off?
Sep 01, 2014

I knew it....I am not a moron.....hiring all these MTs for these accounts, running OOW on a regular work day.....did they think we would all stay busy on Labor Day?  I am disgusted and am taking the day off.  I ask about being off.......NO.  Don't you think that managers could make schedules knowing the work is slow?  Let people off if they ask, making sure to have at least 2 MTs on in case some work comes in?  That is too easy a fix....let everyone just be OOW and ...

Who Do You Contact To See About Being
May 06, 2012

transferred to another BOB?  I have to get away from this CCM.  She has no idea what she's doing, she's very rude, and she's making my job miserable.  If I can't get transferred, I'm going to quit. ...