A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Interesting article about fraudulent scribing practices - OCMT

Posted: Mar 09, 2014

Hmmmmmm...I think I'll pass on trying to become a scribe. I don't think I could do what this scribe is asked to do.

Thanks for sharing! - poorhouse

[ In Reply To ..]
Very interesting indeed! I never once entertained the idea of becoming a scribe. As a patient myself, would I want an MT in the exam room with me and the doctor? No, thank you. A medical student in training, yes, I'm cool with that but not a clerical person, which is what we're basically considered. Also, myself as an MT, I wouldn't feel comfortable in an exam room with a patient trying to discuss their personal health history with the doctor because I'm pretty sure they couldn't pay me enough to do that. lol

So, in the article where the author says the doc tells her to "just click that button" or "put in I listened to their heart"...what happens if the patient returns to the ER with aortic dissection that the doc missed the first time? Would the scribe be put on trial as a witness if the doc checked the patient thoroughly...as documented...the first visit?? Interesting!

But you do the same thing! - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
That's one scribe's impression of things based on what he is able to see, and what he sees isn't the whole picture. Determining code levels is based on more than he said. It is also limited by the severity of the condition being treated.

He talked about getting to level 4 and 5, but you can't even get there if the patient isn't sick enough, no matter how much documentation there is. Many, if not most, physicians do not grasp this concept.

If you think physicians are strictly ethical about this, guess again. They game the system as much as possible. That is why CMS audits looking for fraud. They find it, too, and hospital systems and physicians pay back what they shouldn't have gotten along with fines.

Don't think you are not involved with this now, either. Dictating physicians simply dictate that they did more than actually occurred. You know those complete reviews of systems where nearly everything is negative? And those complete physical exams where nothing is wrong? Family and social history noncontributory? "Counseled on smoking"? "Use my normal"? Over and over again? That is all to pad the documentation to increase the amount they can charge.

And how many times have you transcribed an operative report that describes complicating factors that were never there? Extensive lysis of adhesions, for instance? That increases the payment.

The only thing saving you now is that you have no way to know it is happening. You are still participating in it.

Refusing to consider an entire occupational field because you might have to make ethical decisions is a bit much. There are few fields in which there are no ethical considerations. If anyone is unable to deal with this sort of thing, though, I would advise them to stay away from coding. These are everyday decisions for coders.

There is a HUGE ethical difference... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Between transcribing/entering information that a physician dictates (no personal interaction) than when a scribe is in the same room and witnesses that the doctor did NOT do what he/she tells the scribe to input. How anyone could miss this simple fact has me puzzled.

Nobody missed it - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
That post clearly says that the MT isn't aware of it. I think the point being made was that ethical issues are everywhere, not just in scribing, and refusing to consider scribing, or any job, because of something like this is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Very well said...because... - alwayswondered

[ In Reply To ..]
When I first started MT, I always thought there must be better doctors in other states, because every time I or any of my family have gone to the hospital, they NEVER do a review of systems, and they NEVER do a full complete physical exam. So, I can definitely see what Coder is talking about.

Similar Messages:

New Medquist Article About Best Practices
Aug 06, 2010

AUSTIN, Texas, Aug. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- 2010 AHDI Conference -- MedQuist Inc. (Nasdaq: MEDQ), a leading provider of technology-enabled clinical documentation services, continues to support industry best practices for quality standards and metrics.  Together with the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI), the Medical Transcription Industry Association (MTIA) and other industry quality leaders, ...

Interesting Article On VBC...
Jun 14, 2011

http://health-information.advanceweb.com/Article/VBC-Compensation-for-MTs.aspx Read the comments too.  The second one is on point! ...

Interesting Article...
Aug 07, 2011

This just basically proves that it still takes a human to do what a computer can't do...     ...

Another Interesting Article...sm
Jul 12, 2012

found this interesting and encouraging... ...

Interesting Article Re EMR
Sep 22, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/business/medicare-billing-rises-at-hospitals-with-electronic-records.html?smid=pl-share Please read!   ...

Interesting Medquist Article
Aug 11, 2011

http://www.faqs.org/sec-filings/110316/MEDQUIST-INC_10-K/ ...

Very Interesting Article To Read.
Mar 11, 2012

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1226934/Indian-police-arrest-company-boss-accused-selling-medical-records-British-patients.html ...

Interesting Article About Nuance
Mar 22, 2012

I was reading an email about current trends in the industry and it talked about Nuance's acquisition of Transcend and how Nuance had acquired 43 companies since being in business, gaining some of those acquisitions by bullying competitors with lawsuits and then buying them out. Then I stumbled across this article on Bloomberg Businessweek. It's a little dated (May 2011) but quite interesting, especially the quote from the Dave Grannan, CEO of Vlingo: "Competing with Nuance is like havi ...

Stumbled Across An Interesting Article
Jul 12, 2012

It was from a 2011 article on SR ... the comments are being made by Lynn Kosegi from M*Modal: Someone else who has been very eloquently making the same case for a while is Lynn Kosegi of M*Modal. Lynn presented at AHDI Florida twice last year, at our technology workshop and at our annual meeting, and she explained that paying speech rec editors at 50% the line rate effectively punishes the best producers and those producers will ultimately be lost to the profession, replaced by transcription di ...

Interesting Article About Scribes, Etc.
Aug 28, 2013

"Wow, the rates have gone down! Only $8-$10 per hour for these folks? That̢۪s great! Minimum wage in Oregon is currently $8.40 per hour. That means that I can get someone smart enough to learn medical terminology (the average medical student̢۪s vocabulary doubles over four years of medical school), operate an EMR (every one is different, and most all of them are hideously complex), listen carefully (a rare commodity in itself), type quickly (remember, the average follow-up visit only las ...

Interesting Article On Scribes...
Mar 01, 2014

From Health Care IT News - February 2014.  Interview with an ER doctor about using scribes in the ER and the process of documenting/entering information. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/blog/medical-scribes-history-present-illness-now-narrative ...

Thought This Was An Interesting Article
Jun 23, 2014

Personally, I think it would be great if we had TV commercials or radio commercials showing the impact and decline of the accuracy of patients' medical records and the starving of US MTs to death by greedy MTSOs offshoring to other countries. http://www.ahdilounge.org/index.php/2014/06/is-it-time-to-take-to-the-streets/ ...

Interesting Article Regards Apps And
Oct 24, 2014

From Boston Biz Journal http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/health-care/2014/10/apps-the-next-frontier-to-the-electronic-medical.html?page=all ...

Interesting Article About Transcriptionists Not Going Away
Jun 10, 2015

I came across this today when I was searching info on medical transcription. I found it interesting when it said offshoring was once popular in the 90s... http://www.ahdpg.com/calling-all-transcriptionists-the-world-needs-you/ ...

Interesting Article On Spheris Buyout.
Jun 01, 2010

Below is the link to article. http://business.nashvillepost.com/2010/03/15/spheris-seeks-approval-for-850k-bonus-plan/ ...

Interesting Article About Tech & Worldview
Apr 11, 2015

See especially the paragraph about driving down wages and controlling hiring.  This reminds me of MM and N's recent calling of ex-employees, and the recent post about the ex-employee being BULLIED  (the post is on the board here).  ...

Interesting Article, Nuance/M*Modal 20% Of Tx Business. Sm
May 22, 2012

Although this article dates back to March, I found it interesting. Had no idea that Nuance and MQ (M*Modal) only had 20% of the transcription business when this was written in March, 2012. http://seekingalpha.com/article/408141-can-transcend-services-write-its-own-ticket ...

Scribing
Apr 25, 2015

For all who have decided to look for employment outside of traditional transcription, I suggest scribing. Yes, you do have to actually go into work, but you're using your skills most of us have had for years.  I currently scribe and it is far more rewarding than what I am getting from this job. The doctors I currently am scribing for are wonderful to work for and they work with you to help document correctly. They do not criticize you, demean you or even dock your pay. Best of all, I get ...

How Do MTs Protect Themselves From Fraudulent Companies?
May 08, 2010

The good news is that I'm all set to begin a new IC position for a company that appears to have a good reputation via the MT community as well as the BBB. The bad news is that I was working for a company with a nasty reputation for never paying its ICs on time and/or not paying its ICs at all.  The company lost one of its 2 accounts and had to lay off almost all of its ICs 1 month ago.  Now of course, they still owe me a backlog 3 paychecks. I signed a contract with them st ...

Scribing With Some Additional Training Of Course
May 03, 2011

I am feeling very insecure these days, and since I am not old enough to retire (although I feel old enough) I am reading the handwriting on the wall and considering a career change.  Things are not good for us, and I don't think they are going to get any better.  The electronic immigrant isn't going away. I think my (our) skill-sets would lend themselves well to scribing -- with some additional training of course.  Has any one made the change, or seriously looked into it?  ...

Scribing A Discharge Summary
Sep 21, 2011

Had a dictation this morning where the physician said "dictating a discharge summary" and then changed it to "scribing a discharge summary" and not sure what to think of that.  Any ideas? ...

FRAUDULENT MTSOs ONLINE
Jul 05, 2012

good morning, i hope everyone had a "decent" fourth. in the past, i have worked for MTSOs where the "supervisor" was fraudulently misrepresenting the company online.  this has happened at least once.  this has led to tardy pay/not getting paid at all, a lot of heartache, etc.  it is also a potential HIPAA violation of the worst kind. before i make an employment commitment to another schmuck, I want to check the credentials of the MTSO and the person doing the hiring online and ...

After So Many Hospitals Suing For Fraudulent Billing
Sep 01, 2010

blacklisted or something by the hospitals.  Nope, just keeps getting bigger and bigger.  I just don't understand.  If I cheated customers over and over and over, I think the word would get out and nobody would want to do business with me.  What a world.  ...

Nearly Every MTSO Engages In This Fraudulent Practice,
Oct 26, 2012

Most of us are not even aware of this, but the MTSOs have been doing it to all of us for years, and what they are stealing from us is huge.  Check this out. I will use just one report I did today to illustrate.  Template loaded for DS.  Report was half a minute long.  I am required to delete any unused headings.  All of the preloaded headings came to 200 characters.  Based on a 65-character line, that's 3.07 lines.  I had to delete all of those characters ...

Has Anyone Tested With M&D Scribing And Heard Back? Cant Find Any Info On Them. Nm
Jan 11, 2010

aaaa ...

Best Practices Protocol
Dec 04, 2009

Patient has COPD exacerbation and acute bronchitis.  Doc dictates, "The patient was started on the best practices protocol."  Any information?  Is this an internal set of procedures or possibly a standard of care for the specialty? ...

QA And Feedback Practices
Oct 03, 2011

I was wondering what others think about this.  When QA sends feedback at my company, the feedback is also sent to all regional manager and all the team leaders in that region. I think this creates unnecessary embarassment and humiliation for the MT getting the feedback and I feel this practice is unfair, especially when they are not critical errors. Feedback is supposed to be helpful and encourage the MT to improve and step up their game but when it is done th ...

Shady Practices
Apr 02, 2013

I recently got 'promoted' to MME, having taken the test with the understanding that I would receive a 5% pay raise to my transcription and VR base rates (according to MM intranet MME FAQs document).  But the recent e-mail we received, asking tier-3 MTs to become MMEs, says we are "eligible to be considered for" a pay raise.  What?  Does that mean my raise is going to be raffled off or something?  Feels like bait and switch, and just another example of sketchy practi ...

Did Anyone Else Get Get An F11 Best Practices Email?
Apr 10, 2013

I F11`d a report a few weeks ago and now I got a generic F11 best practices email. It states the only acceptable use of F11 is an exception listed in a CP. I have never seen that in a CP! I have also found, besides being very inefficiently written, many CPs are out of date, i.e., states you must do certain things that have since changed. It is SO frustrating! The document was such a hot mess that I had to retype it as 90% of the ASR was garbage. ...

Precyse Hiring Practices
Feb 07, 2013

Hi everyone:)  This is in reference to the message left about applying for work at Precyse.  One MT stated that their hiring practices left a lot to be desired and she took the test and felt she wasted her time.  I am now among the ranks of those that tried and didn't make it.  I took the test, and looked over everything carefully and felt I had done a good job.  I took the job in the late evening and not even 1 hour later I got a message that I was not a "good fit ...