A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

New Medquist article about best practices - and quality standards

Posted: Aug 06, 2010

AUSTIN, Texas, Aug. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- 2010 AHDI Conference -- MedQuist Inc. (Nasdaq: MEDQ), a leading provider of technology-enabled clinical documentation services, continues to support industry best practices for quality standards and metrics.  Together with the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI), the Medical Transcription Industry Association (MTIA) and other industry quality leaders, MedQuist contributed to the new Healthcare Documentation Quality Assessment and Management Best Practices just unveiled at the AHDI 32nd Annual Convention and Expo.

This new set of industry standards clearly spells out how to define errors in clinical documentation, to ensure quality and consistency of records for various purposes including automated decision support, research, and core measure outcomes.  

According to DeeAnn Logan, MedQuist vice president of Quality, MedQuist was an active and collaborative participant with AHDI, MTIA and AHIMA in the standards development process.  "We were pleased to be able to represent our customers' experience in the discussion of process improvement for the entire industry," she states.  "With a simple, straightforward, readily adoptable methodology in place, customers of all Medical Transcription Service Organizations (MTSOs) can now have confidence that their providers are on the same page when they define quality scores as being at or above 98."

Among the other advantages to the new standards, Logan cites:

• Having an industry standard measurement policy will, for the first time, allow for an apples-to-apples comparison among MTSOs.
  • Detailed error definitions by category are provided, to minimize subjectivity.
  • The new methodology has a stronger focus on critical errors; i.e., ensuring that all audited reports that contain a Patient Safety/Critical error will fail the job.  
  • For the first time, best practices for blanks are outlined.  (Previous methods did not address these.)
  • The policy provides recommendations for roles and responsibilities of all stakeholders involved in the creation of medical records.

Logan notes, "MedQuist is committed to delivery of the highest level of quality patient care documentation to our customers. We believe we have the right blend of process, roles, resources, training and technology -- including automated quality checks, alerts and monitoring of transcription jobs throughout the workflow (both pre- and post-delivery) -- to achieve this goal.  We have already implemented more accurate, real-time, immediate feedback to our medical transcriptionists, for proactive, continuous quality improvement and learning.  With all of this in place, we anticipate quick adoption of the new standards, especially since we previously implemented the 2007 AHDI Quality Standards."

About MedQuist

MedQuist is a leading provider of medical transcription services, and a leader in technology-enabled clinical documentation workflow. MedQuist's enterprise solutions ? including mobile voice capture devices, speech recognition, Web-based workflow platforms, and global network of medical editors ? help healthcare facilities improve patient care, increase physician satisfaction, and lower operational costs. For more information, please visit www.medquist.com.

"Safe Harbor" Statement under the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: Statements in this press release regarding MedQuist's business that are not historical facts are "forward-looking statements" that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual outcomes and results may differ materially from what is expressed or forecasted in forward-looking statements. As a result, forward-looking statements speak only as of the date they were made, and the Company undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

SOURCE MedQuist Inc.

Woohoo!! Now let's all mail out those renewal checks to AHDI - and swamp the post office. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I think MQ itself is an "error", and it has definitely - "failed the job" as an employer. (NM)

[ In Reply To ..]

All double-talk - ******

[ In Reply To ..]
Everything in that article can be truthfully interpreted by MTs in a completely different way. This is just another one of MQ's propaganda ploys in an effort to justify their recent changes, none of which benefit anyone except MQ's pocketbook. I had to manually replace my dropped jaw when they described a "critical error." All subjective changes in my documents have been marked as "critical errors" including optional commas, capitalizing departments, etc. I used to be a nurse and have some idea of what actually affects the patient, and those "errors" do not. All that malarchy just makes me angry.

Quality? Are they looking at the same reports I see in - report look up?

[ In Reply To ..]
Continuous quality improving and learning. Yep, we have learned that every policy MQ implements continuously diminishes the quality of our paycheck.

Oh and those best practices for blanks- We all know the answer to that one- Don't leave any. For goodness sake don't guess, but don't leave any blanks.

Similar Messages:

Interesting Article About Fraudulent Scribing Practices
Mar 09, 2014

Hmmmmmm...I think I'll pass on trying to become a scribe. I don't think I could do what this scribe is asked to do. ...

The Unconstitutional Employment Practices Of MedQuist And CBay
Mar 17, 2010

I'm NOT an attorney; therefore, cannot give any legal advice.  If you want to pursue the issues addressed below, please consult an attorney.   In the case of Department of State v. Washington Post Co., 456 US 595 (1982), the Department of State refused to disclose private information of individuals to an "American" corporation, "Washington Post", citing the policy of not disclosing "personnel and medical files and similar files the disclosure of which would constitute a clearly ...

Interesting Medquist Article
Aug 11, 2011

http://www.faqs.org/sec-filings/110316/MEDQUIST-INC_10-K/ ...

Best Practices Protocol
Dec 04, 2009

Patient has COPD exacerbation and acute bronchitis.  Doc dictates, "The patient was started on the best practices protocol."  Any information?  Is this an internal set of procedures or possibly a standard of care for the specialty? ...

QA And Feedback Practices
Oct 03, 2011

I was wondering what others think about this.  When QA sends feedback at my company, the feedback is also sent to all regional manager and all the team leaders in that region. I think this creates unnecessary embarassment and humiliation for the MT getting the feedback and I feel this practice is unfair, especially when they are not critical errors. Feedback is supposed to be helpful and encourage the MT to improve and step up their game but when it is done th ...

Shady Practices
Apr 02, 2013

I recently got 'promoted' to MME, having taken the test with the understanding that I would receive a 5% pay raise to my transcription and VR base rates (according to MM intranet MME FAQs document).  But the recent e-mail we received, asking tier-3 MTs to become MMEs, says we are "eligible to be considered for" a pay raise.  What?  Does that mean my raise is going to be raffled off or something?  Feels like bait and switch, and just another example of sketchy practi ...

Did Anyone Else Get Get An F11 Best Practices Email?
Apr 10, 2013

I F11`d a report a few weeks ago and now I got a generic F11 best practices email. It states the only acceptable use of F11 is an exception listed in a CP. I have never seen that in a CP! I have also found, besides being very inefficiently written, many CPs are out of date, i.e., states you must do certain things that have since changed. It is SO frustrating! The document was such a hot mess that I had to retype it as 90% of the ASR was garbage. ...

Precyse Hiring Practices
Feb 07, 2013

Hi everyone:)  This is in reference to the message left about applying for work at Precyse.  One MT stated that their hiring practices left a lot to be desired and she took the test and felt she wasted her time.  I am now among the ranks of those that tried and didn't make it.  I took the test, and looked over everything carefully and felt I had done a good job.  I took the job in the late evening and not even 1 hour later I got a message that I was not a "good fit ...

Deceptive Hiring Practices?
May 26, 2013

FYI, when negotiating with potential employer, DO pin them down in detail about how they pay for *editing*. My recent experience: Offered job paying 8 cents straight typing (which there is not much of), and 4 cents for editing. I was aware up front that the edited line was considered 1-1/2 *regular lines*, or 97.5 characters (Visible Black, of course) constituted an edited line. Most recent information regarding this pay, their software was not able to calculate the 97.5 rate for editing, so t ...

Who Do I Contact About Unfair Labor Practices?
Aug 12, 2011

I had a very bad experience recenly with a company which will remain unnamed.    I had been  intentionally decieved about some policies.    If I recall correctly I had read something about the labor board.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to contact them.   This was an INTENTIONAL , DELIBERATE misrepresentation.   Since I am no longer with said company I really have nothing to lose.   I have also read repeated co ...

RE: DISABILITY AND HIRING/FIRING PRACTICES
Mar 20, 2014

Hi, I was just pondering something: This does not apply to me personally, but I was curious as to whether any company, say MModal, Nuance, etc. have ever laid off any disabled employees, like visually impaired, paraplegic, etc. due to quality of work or whatever. I was curious if they have employees who work for them who are disabled in this way and if they have ever terminated any of them, what kind of legal trouble could they make?   ...

QASAR Back. Also New ADHI Best Practices In 2011
Dec 16, 2010

Here's the link for ADHI Quality Assessment and Best Practices http://www.ahdionline.org/Portals/0/downloads/QABestPracticesJuly2010.pdf or http://tinyurl.com/AHDI-best-practices In this document, they do point out there are valid reasons for blanks. So... if MQ is going to adopt this, we should no longer be punished for valid blanks. They also include standards for dictators and recognize that lack of dictator compliance with these standards is a cause for blanks. Plus, IMO, ...

Voice Recognition Vs Transcribing, Unjust Hiring Practices
Mar 21, 2011

Over the past four months I have been hired by companies ***** after passing all the necessary tests and background checks as a medical  transcriptionist.  Each and every time I was offered $ 0.9/line, told I would have very little voice recognition if any which, would pay anywhere from $0.3 to 0.5/line. Once I get onboard and through training, I find out 90% is voice recognition!!  I am applying for medical transcriptionist jobs - not Editor, QA, or Speech. I have been in t ...

Has Anyone Ever Tried To Buy Their Medquist Computer From Medquist
Jul 18, 2011

????? ...

This Article Just Says It All.
Oct 09, 2012

Whole WSJ Article
Mar 08, 2014

A medical services company owned by a J.P. Morgan Chase JPM +0.85% & Co. private-equity arm is preparing to file for bankruptcy protection in the next two weeks as it struggles under a hefty debt load and declining sales, people familiar with the matter said.M*Modal is in discussions with its creditors on a prearranged restructuring plan that would streamline its trip through bankruptcy court, these people said. The bankruptcy negotiations come about 18 months after One Equity Partners took ...

MedicalScribes - An Article About Them
Sep 07, 2010

This is an interesting article about using medical scribes to do transcription.  It is a way for doctors to create electronic medical records and not have to enter information into computers themselves. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/06/health/la-he-medical-scribes-20100906 ...

Interesting Article On VBC...
Jun 14, 2011

http://health-information.advanceweb.com/Article/VBC-Compensation-for-MTs.aspx Read the comments too.  The second one is on point! ...

Article About Nuance
Feb 19, 2011

I don't work for Nuance or the other 3 MTSOs listed, but I found this article clear and with devastating details about the exact cost of what happens to the local economy when employers opt to switch to the offshoring companies: http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc/story/University-of-Utah-Hospital-sending-local-jobs/ApYQbQl0d0OqwCx2vzmjlQ.cspx or search "University of Utah Hospital sending local jobs overseas" "Hundreds of people just like Rachelle are losing their jobs at medical tra ...

Article About MT Credentialing
Apr 09, 2011

I just brought in my mail and there was the March 28 issue of "For the Record", a magazine that was part of my AHDI membership benefits. I don't know why they're still sending it to me because my AHDI membership ran out, but I the cover story of this issue is "The MT Credentialing Debate: What do Medical Transcriptionists Gain by Adding RMT or CMT to Their Resumes?" I haven't started reading it yet, but it should be interesting! ...

Recent Article About MQ
Aug 01, 2011

http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2011/08/medquists-new-ceo-re-branding-on.html   They seem pretty happy about having 28 sites in India and want to keep offshoring more of their work.  I really wonder how many Americans, if properly educated about the whole thing, would really want their medical history sent overseas.  I know clinics/hospitals don't care.  They are using MQ and other services that offshore because they want to save a buck on services.  Yeah I know, s ...

Interesting Article...
Aug 07, 2011

This just basically proves that it still takes a human to do what a computer can't do...     ...

A Link To An Article
Mar 14, 2012

http://mttoolsonline.com/2011/01/25/medical-transcription-a-salary-perspective-over-11-years/ Article about MTs salaries compared to other jobs in the HIM department.  If you don't want to click on the link, google the following:  Medical Transcription A Salary Perspective over 11 years. ...

Good Article: ST Vs. SR
Jun 16, 2012

MTs Need to Get Off Inaccurate Pay Scale http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/050712p29.shtml#.T7hYiI60y30.facebook ...

Another Interesting Article...sm
Jul 12, 2012

found this interesting and encouraging... ...

Medigrafix Article
Aug 22, 2012

http://www.wowt.com/factfinders/headlines/Medical-Workers-Not-Being-Paid-166705406.html?mobile=yes ...

For The Record Article About MT Pay
Sep 11, 2012

http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml   ...

Another Great Article
Sep 12, 2012

From the magazine "For the Record."   http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml ...

Interesting Article Re EMR
Sep 22, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/business/medicare-billing-rises-at-hospitals-with-electronic-records.html?smid=pl-share Please read!   ...

Here's A Article About Compensation
Mar 11, 2013

Here’s an article by For the Record magazine that is worth reading. Sometimes, their articles are a lot of fluff, AHDI stressing we need them, or words just filling a page, but this one affirms what we have all known for a very long time.   http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml Interesting what is written about the Transcend lawsuit too. What can we do? At the end of the article, it mentions “MTs need to work with their employers to develop a fair compensat ...