A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What is considered good CPL rate now - by all of you MTs? nm

Posted: Jan 13, 2011

nm

I would absolutely jump for joy if I could find a company that would pay (sm) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
at least 9 CPL for my 23 years experience. Unfortunately I am finding that most companies want to pay anywhere between 7 to 8 CPL, regardless of experience.

Wow~ (sm) - chucklz

[ In Reply To ..]
I was making 9 cpl at the company I was just let go from (due to cuts) and I thought that I was low on the on the pole even after working there for 7 years. Now to know that I will have to take a pay cut something like 7 cpl is a little disheartening. I have to say that I am getting to the point where I just need a job and a paycheck coming in.

After being with the same company for so long I don't really know what to even expect anymore.

I am still making 9 cpl, which I find is high these days. - Not looking really.

[ In Reply To ..]
Will hold onto this as long as I can. I am seeing mostly 7-8 cpl too, which is better than nothing I guess. Depending on the type of accounts they are, you could easily make about $35,000 with that, give or take a couple.

9 as an IC and 9 as an employee - work for 2

[ In Reply To ..]
But 7-8 is mostly what I hear when I inquire about positions.

I am the second poster above with 23 years experience and I (sm) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
would not even mind the 8 CPL if some of the companies did not have such horrible platforms and ways to cheat you out of lines. I am working for a company now that pays 8 CPL, I am thankful because I always have plenty of work, however, I can type a 3 or 4 page report and when I check the lines on it, I will only have typed 36 lines????? It is because they do not include the header nor the canned text that is autopopulated into the report. Okay, I understand that I may not type all of that but it is still being loaded into this report and a lot of the times I have to take out or adjust the autopopulated text, which I do NOT get paid for. Now, if there is an MTSO that is reading this, please explain to me how this is fair to someone!

Anon - feel your pain. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
We do not get paid for demos either. Even "Dear Dr. _______:" is not paid for.

As for your canned text, does the company get paid for those lines?

At times, we spend as much time on the above as we do the typed text. What a shame.

I wish physician offices, hospitals, and other facilities would realize the benefits of cutting out the middle man.

line rates - busybee

[ In Reply To ..]
Would rates be different depending on where in the US you live? Also, what size font? I live in PA and wondering what a good rate would be for an experienced transcriptionist, account requires no printing, relaxed TAT but at least one, maybe two docs with foreign accent, weekends not required, work at home. I am being considered for a position and they asked me to suggest a rate. I said between 8 and 10 cents cpl with spaces. Am I too high? If so, boy things sure have changed. I will be happy just to get a job! Also, what is standard font and size of font which should be used to calculate lines?Thanks for any help!
are you the middle man? - it matters
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm in PA. If they are contracting directly with you, you can go 11-12 cpl most likely. Industry standard is Times New Roman 12, although many are going with Arial 10.

Base your rate on 65 character line (including spaces) and then the font really doesn't make any difference.

You again? - MaMel

[ In Reply To ..]
Hmm. "nm" - why are you here now on this board and asking about line rates for?? I thought you were happy as a lark, in control of your own destiny, and working for the best MTSO on planet earth? What do you care what us other MTs consider good or bad? Apparently, according to your other entries on the "New MTs" board, you are sitting very pretty. I suppose, though, you are just trying to make yourself feel really good about yourself and the job you hold. I'll say it again... count your blessings. But if for some odd chance that MT Stars allows 2 people with the same username, and you are NOT the same MT over on the other board, I do apologize for my accusations! But, I doubt that to be true.

how did you come up with that being ANYBODY? - reallyseriously??

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Actually this is (sm) - chucklz

[ In Reply To ..]
I was in a hurry and mistyped, forgot to put my nickname. Sorry.

I am so overwhelmed with this job searching b.s. as I haven't had to do it in sooo many years. I remember 10 years when I had worked at MedQuist it was so easy to get that job and I had little experience. Now with having 10+ years experience I feel like a Newbie. I admit that it scares me to death, especially when I continuously read horror stories about pretty much every company out there.

Keep trying? - MaMel

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, there are some MTSOs out there that treat their employees with respect, as not everyone here is barking about their bosses. But not everyone wants to divulge their employer, either! So it's a chance you take in applying around. But at least you can get a good feel on this site for the places to avoid!

You sure you're not the crazy one?! - ZonedOut

[ In Reply To ..]
You must be new to this bored. When someone signs a message with "nm", means "no message", as in there is nothing more to what they are saying other than what is in the subject line. That way others don't need to waste time clicking around to read a message that isn't there.

Anybody can put whatever they what as a nickname, change it 20 times a day, and there could be 100 different people using the same name.

How on earth can you be so sure its the same person? You know what they say about assuming...Your post just comes off very unnessarily hateful.

My apologies! - MaMel

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, looks like my "green-ness" be showin! Yes, I am new to the website, and was being attacked on a different section by someone who did not sign their name. And that's where I got the "nm" from. In looking around, there were very few NM's on here, so I did assume it was the same person fishing around. However, I did say in the end that IF I WAS WRONG... I was sorry, but I'll say it again... I am sorry. Now that I know what goes on, I'll try to not have my posts seem unnecessarily hateful... although your telling me maybe I'm crazy doesn't feel too good either. Ah well, whatever. As far as the original question goes, I think 4.5-5 cents/line voice rec and 9-10 cents/line traditional transcription is fair. I know they've been better in days gone by, but those days are long gone as far as I can see.
You will notice a lot of "sm" nicknames too - means "see message"
[ In Reply To ..]
Stick around, you will pick up the lingo and nuances.

Two jobs - part-time IC and full-time employee. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
With IC I get 10 cpl. As employee we are on tiered system and that starts at 9 cpl with increase of 0.5 cpl after minimum is reached every 2000 lines, up to 13 cpl when you hit maximum.

Similar Messages:

Why Is Escription Considered A Good Platform?
Jan 24, 2010

nm ...

Good Rate?
Dec 31, 2010

Is 0.65 for VR a good rate for 8 years acute care experience? This is with a MTSO.  The rate is based on a 65-character line and includes spaces. ...

What;s A Good IC Starting Rate?
Apr 01, 2010

Offer seemed a little low but can grow after two months (speed and accuracy audit).   I would be on my own with their software in my computer but with tech support.  Got to get a foot pedal.  This is all new to me.  Help! ...

$2.00 Per Page Is A Good Rate
Nov 23, 2010

Does anyone know if $2.00 per page is a good rate. ...

What A 65 VBC Line Rate? Is This Good Or Bad?
Nov 15, 2012

I have never heard of this before. Can someone explain this? Is this different than just a plain 65-character line? Thanks. ...

What Is A Good Cpl Rate For This Type Of Work?
Apr 27, 2010

I am subcontracting for a smallish MTSO. My main account is acute care (including op notes) with about 25% ESLs. Secondary account is clinic and very easy. Good, user-friendly platform. ...

Getting Paid 10 Cpl To Edit. Is This A Good Rate?
Jul 01, 2013

I'm getting paid 10cpl to edit. Is this a good rate? Spaces are not included. Thanks! ...

What's A Good Line Rate For A Newbie?
Jun 21, 2014

What's a good line rate for a newbie? Just got out of school and applying for jobs.  I want to make sure I don't sell myself short, but yet not ask for too much. Help! Lol   ...

What Is A Good Rate For VR And Straight Typing?
Dec 22, 2014

I have been out of the market for a few years and trying to get a part time job. Have an interview today, but my question is what should I expect is a fair wage per line?  VR and straight typing. I have 30 years transcription experience.  Would appreciate it if someone could help me out here!!! ...

Hate To Ask This But What Is A Good Rate To Charge For VR Editing? Nm
Jul 14, 2013

Thanks! ...

Is $0.90/audio Minute A Good Rate? Always Worked Per Line So Not Sure.
Aug 02, 2013

NM ...

What Is The Average Benefit Rate/PTO Rate? Friends I Talk To
Dec 05, 2012

Their way of figuring it is so convoluted.  I wonder if they keep us all low like that.  ...

Line Rate Pay Versus Audio Minute Rate Pay
Mar 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me if line rate pay is comparable to getting paid by the audio minute? Is 0.50 or 1.00 normal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Has Anyone Considered
Mar 05, 2014

that this board has probably been the biggest success for overseas MTs?  I have a feeling we have been training them for a very long time.  word help, information about companies, etc.  so much information, it is probably like taking candy from a baby for those who are aggressively taking or sending jobs overseas...  ...

Has Anyone Ever Considered?
Jun 10, 2015

And we have to stick together on this. Emailing some of the crap that ASR prints out before we fix it to the head of this stupid company. And the assinine corrections that are failing us. You can do it anonymously with a fake email. If one does it, it does no good, but if we all commit to spend a week flooding his email, never can tell. ...

Is A Score Of 98.6% Considered Okay.
Jan 20, 2010

Sorry, cannot remember.  Tried looking before posting.  Thanks!!!! ...

MT To RN Anyone Considered Or Completed?
Sep 11, 2012

I am considering going back to school to get an RN.  After speaking with a few RN friends in my area I am looking deeper into the possibilities.  They recommended our community college with its 2 year degree program.  This school also works closely with a major health facility here in town for recruiting.  I have been on the hospital's job opening emails and along with multiple openings weekly for RNs (days, nights, and prn) and my nurse friends' agreeing there is a ...

How Many Years Does It Take To Be Considered A Seasoned MT?
Dec 02, 2010

I wanted to know what is considered a rookie MT and what is considered a seasoned MT. Thanks In Advance ...

Anyone Know If Easter Is Considered A Holiday As Far As
Apr 20, 2011

holiday pay is concerned?  I forgot if this was on the short list of "paid" holidays at MQ.  ?? ...

What Is Considered Acute Care?
Dec 21, 2011

Are things like EEG, EMG, EGD, inpatient H&P, discharge summary, inpatient consults, neonatology, and ED reports considered acute care?   ...

Is Easter Considered A Holiday?
Apr 05, 2012

x ...

Why Is This Not Considered Over-editing? Need Opinions.
Aug 26, 2012

Dictator says subcu. ISR typed subcutaneous.  Should we edit it to say subcu? Since it has the same meaning, why is this not considered over-editing?  The more I think about this type of thing, the more confused I get. ...

Memorial Day Considered A Holiday?
May 27, 2013

Do we get holiday pay for today?  Can't remember what the holidays were.  TIA. ...

When You Are Considered An Independent Contractor
Jun 08, 2013

When you are considered an independent contractor, is it necessary to give at least two weeks notice before you quit? ...

Has Anyone Made The Transition Or Considered
Jul 25, 2014

looking or working in the IME report generating venue?  I have seen a couple of help wanted ads for this type of job.  Where you would take pt records and create an IME letter.  I was wondering if anyone out there has worked doing this before and what it is like. ...

Would Radiology Be Considered Acute Care?
Jan 07, 2010

Would radiology be considered acute care? ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time?
Oct 18, 2010

Can anyone tell me approximately how many lines would be considered full time work as an at home independent contractor? ...

What Is Considered Full-Time At Medquist
Jun 16, 2011

Hello!  I may be testing with Medquist today, but wondered what is considered a full-time employee who is eligible for benefits (is it by lines (and how many lines) or by net pay?).  Where I am now, I have to net $900/2 weeks to get to full-time, and that is hard to do.  Thanks for your input.  It is much appreciated. ...

Under ROS, Would Hepatitis Be Considered A Bleeding Dyscrasia?
May 05, 2011

x ...

Are Andrews, MTec And CareerStep Still Considered The Top 3?
Dec 28, 2011

Just a general question and it seems that these are the top three as far as offering the best education and preparedness for certification.  Enrolling has me a bit nervous, so I want to make sure I'm getting my money's (and time's) worth. TIA!!! ...