A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How many years does it take to be considered a seasoned MT? - mel

Posted: Dec 02, 2010

I wanted to know what is considered a rookie MT and what is considered a seasoned MT.

Thanks In Advance

Depends on how salty ya are! (nm) - LMAO

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Lots of variables - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you've spent five years typing a dermatology clinic, you still would be considered a rookie in the world of acute care or radiology. So it's hard to give a definitive answer. I would say someone with five years of acute care work is no longer a rookie, but that is just my opinion.

If you are strictly a clinic MT or a radiology MT - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
you will never become a seasoned MT. I personally feel you have a wide range of experience which generally comes from working in acute care.

Respectfully disagree with that one. - To season or not to season

[ In Reply To ..]
If you've been doing clinic work the majority of your career, quite frankly the acute care isn't THAT hard to pick up. BTDT. Yes, there's a learning curve, but if you've been doing this for a while, it can be done.

To say that because someone is strictly clinic they will never be seasoned is, imo, very demeaning.

I agree - LMJ

[ In Reply To ..]
I can do any kind of work type or specialty. BUT, I bow to those who've done a specialty, especially one that is quite involved or technical, because they are SEASONED so well in their specialty that they never have to ask a question.

Just because you do acute care doesn't make you the end-all, be-all of MT. It means you do hospital work. Putting you in a dermatology clinic for a few days might show ya that ;-) Not that you could NOT do it, but that you'd quickly see you just don't get that technical with specialties in acute care.
However, the MT who only works in one specific speciality - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
are only seasoned in that one speciality. An employer is more apt to hire an MT who has experience doing a variety of specialties and can do anything that is thrown at them versus the dermatology MT who can only work on the dermatology clinic and will be significantly less productive if she's thrown into say OP notes.
but - LMJ
[ In Reply To ..]
that wasn't the question :)

I think someone who spends a lifetime in a dermatology clinic is, indeed, seasoned.

OP didn't ask well-rounded, more apt to be hired, pluggable...she asked seasoned
unless you spent a lifetime doing poor work. See message - Just another viewpoint to consider
[ In Reply To ..]
I saw the work done by the transcriptionist in my allergy clinic. She had done that work for 20 years. It was horrible! Her work was riddled with errors, even though she used lots of canned text which, by the way, was also riddled with errors.

Her current employers are fine with all those errors. If she decided to work elsewhere, she probably could not pass employment tests, even for an allergy clinic.
can be said for any specialty, not limited to clinic - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
If she can learn derm, she can learn op notes. - And once youre doing MT at all, - s/m
[ In Reply To ..]
you're halfway there. Dermatology can cover a lot more than just rashes and pimples.

What if someone were to tell YOU, that as an acute care MT, you would never be able to learn pathology? Or ophthalmology? Or veterinary surgery?

Well, it's the same thing. If you can learn one aspect of MT, you can learn other aspects as well. You shouldn't be feeding that kind of skewed "information" to someone who asked a legitimate, honest question.

They'll be seasoned, as a clinic MT and clinic MTs - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
make less per line. Every interviewed I've had with nationals, there are MTs who do strictly clinic work and they make at least 1 to 2 cpl less per line than an acute care MT.
Really? - LMJ
[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a national company making 10 cpl for a clinic. My bad, I better tell them to knock me down a few cents! LOL! That's just not logical.

I've interviewed and spoken with several companies in the last year and I was offered anywhere from 7 cpl for clinic at one place to 7 cpl for acute care at another (kept looking obviously) to 11 for acute care (that made me want to slit my wrists because the accounts were so cruddy) to 10 for a specialty clinic.

Don't diss clinic work, it's not just for "stupid" people yanno (wink).
thank you!! - Happy MT Robin
[ In Reply To ..]
I do primarily clinic work - Oncology clinic - and some of those drug names... I've also done acute care and don't really see that much of a difference. Each "specialty" has their own language, so to speak, and if you're not familiar with Ortho or surgery or ENT, it takes a little bit to get up to speed, but if you're good at what you do, and I think 99% of us on this board are, then we're also good at getting up to speed.
About your 99% comment, I don't think so. - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
I know quite a few people who post here. I know their work. I've been shocked in the past to recognize someone talking about how good their work is when they were known for really poor work. You can't tell a thing about most people from a few notes on a forum. My best guess is the percentage who are good at what they do would be shockingly poor, if we knew, which we don't.
Many of us have seen (many but not all) clinics that accepted poor work - Why we are just saying...
[ In Reply To ..]
It's just that clinics used to accept quality at a lower level than acute care. I believe that is changing, and that's a very good thing for MT and a very bad thing for those MTs that have been doing poor work for many years on those jobs.

It sounds as if you are one of the clinic MTs that got it right years ago. I think all of the clinics are getting tougher now. I don't expect much difference in quality in the next few years.
Agree - LMJ
[ In Reply To ..]
However, I see this as an across-the-board issue, not just clinics. I've seen hospital work that is so bad I've wondered how the MTs ever got hired, let alone stayed on.

I think what we are seeing now (and I would disagree with Happy's 99% number as well) is that MTs are being held accountable really for the first time in their careers for a lot of them. They can't cut 98-99% accuracy and so what happens is the company is bad, they don't listen, QA nags, no one answers emails, etc. I think there's likely a high percentage (not all) of those posters who, frankly, just aren't as good as they like to believe they are. I've seen MTs who are totally able to walk the talk and they are employed, paid fairly, and appreciated by the companies they represent.
I would have to agree with you. That's also what I'm seeing. - A Wake-Up Call
[ In Reply To ..]
I think it's a wake-up call for those who care, but it's obvious that many don't care.
I've done both, and really don't know why they think - clinic work is worth less. s/m
[ In Reply To ..]
A large clinic has just as much variety, and often do a variety of surgical procedures, as well.

The ONLY difference I've ever noticed that might make clinic work a smidge easier than acute care, is you're not dealing with residents, and not quite so many ESLs. But other than that, and different procedures, it's just as technical, just as difficult, and why MTSOs pay less for it is beyond me. Other than it's just another way for them to cheat MTs.

Um, beg to differ with that. I was a clinic-&-rad - only MT, and just jumped - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
right into acute care. Sure, there were different procedures, different words and drugs. But medical terminology is basically the same. You will encounter unfamiliar terminology every time you change specialties, clinics, employers, even doctor to doctor. All the change does is slow you down a little, 'til you're dialed in to the new terminology. It only took me a week or two. So some on - to say an experienced MT who hasn't done acute care "will never be seasoned" is pure hogwash.

My opinion - Violet

[ In Reply To ..]
That's a good question. For me kind of hard. My personal feeling is I would say up to 1-2 years (depending on how much you can keep learning) is a rookie, then I would consider someone intermediate. I think I would call someone a seasoned MT if they've done it for over 5 years and have worked in various specialties. I think even if you work in one specialty for 3 or more years I would consider someone an advanced MT. Maybe give them a class II

Agree with Violet but there are major exceptions, both ways - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

My opinion - In the trenches a LONG time

[ In Reply To ..]
To be called "seasoned" I would say 10 years of 100% acute care experience, preferably at more than 1 hospital. A couple of years of doing nothing but clinic SOAP notes definitely does not qualify as seasoned.

It depends - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you that the type of experience is very important. I've been at this for 5-1/2 years, but I consider myself seasoned. I started out doing acute care as a newbie and have done it full time the entire 5-1/2 years for a number of different hospitals, currently a large teaching hospital. I have transcribed hundreds of dictators in all specialty areas (including many monstrous ESLs), and I can transcribe anything thrown at me. I guess I'll be even more seasoned when I hit 10 years, but I don't feel there is anything I can't do at this point.

Speaking from personal experience - In the trenches a long time

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess I was speaking from my own personal experience. I've been an MT for over 40 years and when I think back to when I had only 5 years of experience, I clearly had much yet to learn.
I've been in it 35 years. Thinking back to when I had - only been in it 5 years, I was - s/m
[ In Reply To ..]
making more than twice what I'm making today, with 35 years. In my resume-sending experience during the last 5 years, I've had some places tell me 35 years was not enough experience. Other places told me I was overqualified.

How "seasoned" an MT may be is all in the eye of the beholder, sometimes.

Depends on the clinic. Is it a 2-doc lean-to in the - Ozarks, or a 400-doctor mega-clinic?

[ In Reply To ..]

It's not measured in years, but in depth of experience - and commitment to learning.

[ In Reply To ..]
A person transcribing a broad range of challenging reports who enjoys reading about and understanding the medical procedures and issues will be far more knowledgeable after a year than a 10-year veteran who never reads medical journal articles and essentially has 2 years of routine experience repeated 5 times.

IMHO, at a minimum, 7 years of acute care with 5 of it on ops. - All specialties, all work types, lots of ESLs. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

While I agree with some of what you say - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe you meant that five years which included OP notes because I think five years of solely op notes could present the danger of being almost as limited as someone in a specialty clinic, although obviously across a much broader swath of anatomy, but without much of the physiology part.

You're right; that is what I meant. Heavy op experience concurrent - with other acute care. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Seasoned MT "equaling" knowledge of QA person - Assuming

[ In Reply To ..]
I just assumed with the variety specialties that a QA person needs to be familiar with, the seasoned MT would need a least a bit of variety of specialties as well.

Similar Messages:

Seasoned MTs Changing Companies After Years?
Mar 02, 2015

Hi.  I've been with the same company for years and am so unhappy with it.  I'd like to maybe work for another company, but it doesn't seem worth it.  After years of building up my glossaries, I'd be starting all over again from scratch and I've heard bad things about every company out there it seems.  Plus, I'm sure my pay would be lower to start.  Anyone go to a different company after years with the same one?   ...

Is New Years Day Considered A Holiday With MModal?
Jan 01, 2013

Just wondering if I will get holiday pay for today.  TIA ...

? For You Seasoned MTs!
Jun 13, 2011

UGH!!  Where do you begin to tell someone who says "Ohhh how can I get into the field of what you are doing" ???  A "friend of a friend of a friend" asked my BF if I could "help her" figure out what the best way would be for her to get into MT!!  I pulled up some local community college links for her (Gee, if you are even a LITTLE smart, you could have done this for yourself) ... Any suggestions/ideas on how to handle this situation. It really cracks me up how people just think o ...

How Long Does It Take A Seasoned MT To Do 400-500 LPH
Dec 19, 2009

nm ...

Productivity Questions For You Seasoned MTs
Jun 29, 2011

From what I've read, most places require a daily minimum of 1000-1500 (varies) per day. I was wondering, on average, how long does it take a new MT to be able to reach this? Also, do you usually exceed your minimum? If so, by how much? I understand that these kinds of things will vary greatly from one MT to the next, I am just trying to get a general idea. Thanks in advance for your input! :) ...

Opinions Wanted From Seasoned MTs Regarding MT Training
Jan 12, 2010

Opinions wanted.  Should instructors at Medical Transcription Schools have prior experience as a Medical Transcriptionist?  Can someone who has never done Medical Transcription themselves teach someone else properly? If I spend $2650 plus $355 for “hardcover medical dictionaries,” I would hope the person instructing me at least had a clue how to use them.             Here is a job opening posting:    P ...

Question For New Graduates; Seasoned MTs Welcome To Respond Also
Feb 13, 2011

From reading post after post on the New MTs Board, it seems like one of the main reasons a lot of people chose the Medical Transcription field is because they were lured in by the “work at home, when you want” dream.  But when reading through the job opening ads, any type of flexibility is usually reserved for Independent Contractor positions, and IC positions usually want lots of experience so the MT can work with little or no supervision. On top of that, at least in my opinio ...

To Seasoned MTs: How Long Does It Take Before You Realize That A Company Is Not A Good Fit? Sm
Nov 12, 2009

Basically meaning that the platform is not going to MT friendly or you're going to spend too much time filling in patient demo, or a myriad of any other reasons.  And once you found out that it wasn't going to work out, how long did you stick it out? ...

After Years And Years Of Being IC, Obtained Employee Status At A Co. Sm
Nov 26, 2012

Thought that after not having enough work for a couple years now and always chasing work, I'd now have a "real job" as an employee and wouldn't have to worry about a steady paycheck and paying the bills anymore. The reason I thought this was because at the interview and in their professional company emails, they use all the "real job" words:  Shift, scheduled hours, overtime, PTO, benefits, etc.  I felt relieved to finally have a "job." What a big bunch of BS! I was "hired" ...

3 Years. Question: How Many More Years Do You Plan To Be An MT/editor?
Dec 20, 2013

There is much speculation about the field of transcription - how many of us actually plan to be here 5 years, 10 years, 20 years from now. I realize that the field is going to change, which will contribute to your answer. Will there be enough transcriptionists/editors to fill the need in 5 years and in 10 years? Will the industry be forced out of offshoring because of taxes? Will there be a need even for editors if VR gets better? These are all unanswered questions, but my question is, what ...

I Worked For M*Modal A Couple Of Years Ago Or So And I Worked For Medquist Several Years Ago.
Aug 08, 2014

Lately, I've been getting legal notices mailed to my home from I believe the east coast somewhere informing me of a class action lawsuit against M*Modal and inviting me to joint if I have a claim.  I don't think I have a claim, but then again with all the shady practices in this business, I'm not so sure.  I'm just curious what the heck is going on. Anyone care to give me the lowdown? ...

Has Anyone Considered
Mar 05, 2014

that this board has probably been the biggest success for overseas MTs?  I have a feeling we have been training them for a very long time.  word help, information about companies, etc.  so much information, it is probably like taking candy from a baby for those who are aggressively taking or sending jobs overseas...  ...

Has Anyone Ever Considered?
Jun 10, 2015

And we have to stick together on this. Emailing some of the crap that ASR prints out before we fix it to the head of this stupid company. And the assinine corrections that are failing us. You can do it anonymously with a fake email. If one does it, it does no good, but if we all commit to spend a week flooding his email, never can tell. ...

Is A Score Of 98.6% Considered Okay.
Jan 20, 2010

Sorry, cannot remember.  Tried looking before posting.  Thanks!!!! ...

MT To RN Anyone Considered Or Completed?
Sep 11, 2012

I am considering going back to school to get an RN.  After speaking with a few RN friends in my area I am looking deeper into the possibilities.  They recommended our community college with its 2 year degree program.  This school also works closely with a major health facility here in town for recruiting.  I have been on the hospital's job opening emails and along with multiple openings weekly for RNs (days, nights, and prn) and my nurse friends' agreeing there is a ...

What Is Considered Good CPL Rate Now
Jan 13, 2011

nm ...

Anyone Know If Easter Is Considered A Holiday As Far As
Apr 20, 2011

holiday pay is concerned?  I forgot if this was on the short list of "paid" holidays at MQ.  ?? ...

What Is Considered Acute Care?
Dec 21, 2011

Are things like EEG, EMG, EGD, inpatient H&P, discharge summary, inpatient consults, neonatology, and ED reports considered acute care?   ...

Is Easter Considered A Holiday?
Apr 05, 2012

x ...

Why Is This Not Considered Over-editing? Need Opinions.
Aug 26, 2012

Dictator says subcu. ISR typed subcutaneous.  Should we edit it to say subcu? Since it has the same meaning, why is this not considered over-editing?  The more I think about this type of thing, the more confused I get. ...

Memorial Day Considered A Holiday?
May 27, 2013

Do we get holiday pay for today?  Can't remember what the holidays were.  TIA. ...

When You Are Considered An Independent Contractor
Jun 08, 2013

When you are considered an independent contractor, is it necessary to give at least two weeks notice before you quit? ...

Has Anyone Made The Transition Or Considered
Jul 25, 2014

looking or working in the IME report generating venue?  I have seen a couple of help wanted ads for this type of job.  Where you would take pt records and create an IME letter.  I was wondering if anyone out there has worked doing this before and what it is like. ...

Would Radiology Be Considered Acute Care?
Jan 07, 2010

Would radiology be considered acute care? ...

Why Is Escription Considered A Good Platform?
Jan 24, 2010

nm ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time?
Oct 18, 2010

Can anyone tell me approximately how many lines would be considered full time work as an at home independent contractor? ...

What Is Considered Full-Time At Medquist
Jun 16, 2011

Hello!  I may be testing with Medquist today, but wondered what is considered a full-time employee who is eligible for benefits (is it by lines (and how many lines) or by net pay?).  Where I am now, I have to net $900/2 weeks to get to full-time, and that is hard to do.  Thanks for your input.  It is much appreciated. ...

Under ROS, Would Hepatitis Be Considered A Bleeding Dyscrasia?
May 05, 2011

x ...

Are Andrews, MTec And CareerStep Still Considered The Top 3?
Dec 28, 2011

Just a general question and it seems that these are the top three as far as offering the best education and preparedness for certification.  Enrolling has me a bit nervous, so I want to make sure I'm getting my money's (and time's) worth. TIA!!! ...

Are Stress Tests Considered Radiology?
Feb 03, 2015

x ...