A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

$2.00 per page is a good rate - RLee

Posted: Nov 23, 2010

Does anyone know if $2.00 per page is a good rate.

I charged $3.50 per page 7 years ago - nini

[ In Reply To ..]
I would probably charge $4.25 to $4.50 now.

Dictated minutes - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
I do know the basic rule of thumb is it can take 3x longer to type the dictated word. Would it be inappropriate to ask a recruiter the average dictated minutes when being paid by the page as opposed to being paid by the line (or does it even matter)? It is for one particular dictator and each report is usually 2-3 pages long.

ask how many lines are on a page - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Because a page with one font and line length is one thing and with different settings far different.

I'm trying to remember back in the day when I billed clients like this and I think the average lines per page were like 45-50. So make sure what the line length is set at (characters) and figure out how much you want per line, and go from there.

There are just so many variables that just like when you bill by the line, you need to know just what that truly means. Also, will a page be anything with at least 2 lines of text on it or does it have to have greater amounts?
Asking any questions results - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
When I questioned this person what the averaged dictated minutes per report for the dictator they were hiring for were this is the response I basically got. "I get the distinct impression from your questions that you may not feel this job pays well enough for you. Rather than go into detail, I think we should just assume we are not a match. There are many candidates right now who need a job and will not be questioning whether it is worth their time. It seems I would be better off with these MTs. I wish I could pay more, as I am sure with your experience you deserve more, but unfortunately my companies don̢۪t pay me enough and I cannot ask for a raise, as they feel they are paying too much already with the reimbursements they are now getting and many have already gone to Voice Recognition, so I just don̢۪t feel I can ask for more in order to pay my MTs more."

This person had an ad on the Job Seeker's Board earlier this week for 1-2 jobs per week, which has since been deleted. There was not even a name of the company, all it stated was a small MTSO. I was only questioning this, as I did not want the dictation to take me an hour or more to type seeing as though the pay was only $2.00 per page - and if it took over an hour to type that would only be $4 to $6 per hour, and on top of that only 1-2 jobs per week. Jeez!!!!! I guess you win some and lose some and are not expected to ask any pertinent questions when inquiring about a job and just accept it and take what is shoved at you. No thanks!!!
Patterns - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
The pattern of questioning low pay and being passed over is alarming.

Heaven forbid an MT want to know exactly how they are paid.

No it is not alarming when there are oodles of MTs looking - for any work at all. Not alarming at all.
[ In Reply To ..]
If it is a matter of having some extra money or going without, I think someone might take the job at that rate per page if it meant putting food on the able or not.

Some of us are really good at what we do and can bang out a page of transcription in about 5 or 10 min. ********

LOL - yes, it is what it is. This profession does not pay very well these days and no we as MTSOs cannot just up and ask for a raise because one particular subcontracting MT is not satisfied.

Either poop or get off the pot; nuff said!

Cut me a break already!

**** POST EDITED BY MODERATOR ****

If you mean from an MTSO - ICmaniac

[ In Reply To ..]
$2 pp is about average.

In 1997 I waas hired by a NY MTSO at $1.70. It went to $2 pp when I committed to full-time work. It eventually went up to $2.50 pp over the years, but then they started finding reasons for MTs to look for other jobs when they started bringing in unpaid interns on a *cough* trial basis.

When you guys speak of changes over the years, - do not forget the expander function.

[ In Reply To ..]
On work I'm familiar with, I have not less than 100% increase in productivity with my expander. 1 page yesterday = 2 pages today in the same time. That sort of thing throws some big variables into those "standards" you're discussing.

As I've said before, I personally don't care about a company's counting methods, spaces, pages per minute of dictation, etc., as long as I like the numbers on my pay check. And I really like pay checks.

RLee, since it's very true there are many applicants these days, maybe a workable lesson is to just take a job and try it out. (Plus, even a week of work at something new is experience.)

I was already using an expander - ICmaniac

[ In Reply To ..]
in 1997, so the work simply got easier as I became familiar with the account and taught myself how to utilize templates and how to automate tasks more efficiently. It was not uncommon to earn $60/hr when producing 2-page H&P reports, and not unheard of to earn $90-plus/hr on occasion for the same work type.

RLee, I think the only question to be asked is for a sample report. I could see that they wouldn't want to engage in a lengthy discussion about the hows (I agree you certainly have a right to it), but it wouldn't have caused much harm to more simply ask for a sample report to get an idea of the work involved and skip detailed questions.

Similar Messages:

What Is Going Pay-per-page Rate? Sm
Sep 16, 2011

Trying to figure out what this would be comparable to line-wise.  ...

Flat Page Rate
Nov 01, 2012

Can anyone tell me if they know what a flat page rate is? I have no idea if it means a full page, or any kind of a partial page. I am an IC and I have always been paid by the line. I have come across this and just need to know before I apply. ...

Good Rate?
Dec 31, 2010

Is 0.65 for VR a good rate for 8 years acute care experience? This is with a MTSO.  The rate is based on a 65-character line and includes spaces. ...

Smartype Line Will Not Move With The Page So When I Get To The Bottom Of The Page
Mar 09, 2011

I have a question about Smartype and I will try to make it so it is understandable:)  I bought Instant Text because I had to have some way of moving my Smartype over into Word 2007 (I had Word 2002).  I have Instant Text turned off until I learn the new platform on the new company I am with.  My problem is this, the Smartype line will not move with the page so when I get to the bottom of the page it covers up everything at the bottom and I can only manually move Smartype by scrolling back up ...

What;s A Good IC Starting Rate?
Apr 01, 2010

Offer seemed a little low but can grow after two months (speed and accuracy audit).   I would be on my own with their software in my computer but with tech support.  Got to get a foot pedal.  This is all new to me.  Help! ...

What Is Considered Good CPL Rate Now
Jan 13, 2011

nm ...

What A 65 VBC Line Rate? Is This Good Or Bad?
Nov 15, 2012

I have never heard of this before. Can someone explain this? Is this different than just a plain 65-character line? Thanks. ...

What Is A Good Cpl Rate For This Type Of Work?
Apr 27, 2010

I am subcontracting for a smallish MTSO. My main account is acute care (including op notes) with about 25% ESLs. Secondary account is clinic and very easy. Good, user-friendly platform. ...

Getting Paid 10 Cpl To Edit. Is This A Good Rate?
Jul 01, 2013

I'm getting paid 10cpl to edit. Is this a good rate? Spaces are not included. Thanks! ...

What's A Good Line Rate For A Newbie?
Jun 21, 2014

What's a good line rate for a newbie? Just got out of school and applying for jobs.  I want to make sure I don't sell myself short, but yet not ask for too much. Help! Lol   ...

What Is A Good Rate For VR And Straight Typing?
Dec 22, 2014

I have been out of the market for a few years and trying to get a part time job. Have an interview today, but my question is what should I expect is a fair wage per line?  VR and straight typing. I have 30 years transcription experience.  Would appreciate it if someone could help me out here!!! ...

Hate To Ask This But What Is A Good Rate To Charge For VR Editing? Nm
Jul 14, 2013

Thanks! ...

Is $0.90/audio Minute A Good Rate? Always Worked Per Line So Not Sure.
Aug 02, 2013

NM ...

How Much To Charge Per Page And Half Page
Aug 16, 2010

I am interviewing for a job that would be three days in office and two days at home.  They requested my salary requirements, and would like to know what I would charge per page and half page for work done outside of the office.  I have never had to worry about this before, and I am not sure what to say.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!  I have been an MT for four years, two in a hospital and two working from home for different doctor's offices. ...

IMEDX-This Whole Page Is About Them, Maybe They Need Their Own Page!
Dec 23, 2014

nm ...

What Is The Average Benefit Rate/PTO Rate? Friends I Talk To
Dec 05, 2012

Their way of figuring it is so convoluted.  I wonder if they keep us all low like that.  ...

Line Rate Pay Versus Audio Minute Rate Pay
Mar 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me if line rate pay is comparable to getting paid by the audio minute? Is 0.50 or 1.00 normal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

MQ Pays 1 Rate For 100% QA, A Lower Rate For Non 100%. How Do You
Oct 29, 2011

ty ...

Piece Rate/line Rate
Apr 19, 2012

Would someone please tell me what the "piece rate" is on the check stub - and where does it show line rate?  Thank you. ...

Page 2????
Oct 11, 2009

Where is page 2???? ...

See DEP Now Page
Dec 04, 2009

A new stoplight and a TYPO in name of platform! ...

$1 Per Page?
Nov 19, 2012

What is a decent rate per page for interviews?  How about $1 per page? ...

Different First Page Margins
Nov 11, 2009

I am working in Word 2007. I am trying to make a template that has a different first page top margin. Can anyone give me some help? I have searched on MT Stars but can't seem to find anything. I have searched Microsoft help and nothing seems to be working that they suggest. So right now, each report I have to manually change the margins each time - getting VERY FRUSTRATED and wasting time. Thanks, Lorraine ...

Pay Per Page/legal
Nov 28, 2009

how does this sound for legal transcription work? this is my first time being offered (and quoted) this type of work and pay.  any ideas?  i did test for them and the verbatim legal test file was quite easy and well over 1-1/2 pages in a short amount of time.   <<<15 pages = $18.00 a page.  All pages count.  Usually less than 25 lines on a page>> any advice appreciated! ...

Page Counter
Jul 30, 2010

Can anyone tell me if there is software that will count pages for reports that are one continuous file with multiple pages?   I have tried several, but they count the file as one page, rather than delineating each page separately. Thank you. ...

Page Count
Dec 01, 2010

I need a recommendation for a page counting software program. I have a new client who wants to be billed by the page instead of by the line. I thanking you in advance for your recomendations. ...

Paid Per Page
Sep 10, 2011

I am with a company who works with legal documents.  I just started.  In order for me to go full-time I would need to type 75 pages a day.  Does anyone have experience with this type of pay?  And is it unreasonable?  I'm just scared I won't live up. ...

Per-Page Rates
Oct 05, 2011

I'm interviewing for a new job next week, and have to travel 2 hours to the office for the interview and test.   I hate to get there and then be offered chump change... she told me they pay per page.   All pages are relatively brief, 25 lines max.   Can anyone tell me what to expect them to say?  i.e.  what is the going rate when being paid by the page?   thank you very much !! ...

Where Is The Teamwork Page Now?
Feb 01, 2012

I just logged on to work but I can't clock in - Teamwork page says "This page cannot be displayed" ... is anyone else having this problem?  Worked fine yesterday ... ...

One Dollar Per Page
Sep 26, 2013

Just got an offer with a company for 1.00 a page for medical transcription.  I had thought when I applied it was some kind of insurance transcription but it turns out they are medical.  This is certainly not a good rate at all.  Anyone else got any offers like this?  This is not x-rays, it would be acute care.  ...