A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Please talk me down from self-destruction - me

Posted: Apr 28, 2011

To make a long story short, I don't agree with QA scores I was given at my job.  I received an e-mail about it and need to reply nicely and suck it up, not unleash and possibly get fired. lol. I have to keep this job and need the money. Please talk me down.

It's sad how medical transcription companies expect you to be 100% perfect. It seems like the MT is always wrong. Not QA, not the supervisors, not the presidents of the company. Whenever things go wrong, the MT always gets the blame. And we're never given room to make mistakes in whatever we do. And we make the least amonut of money out of anyone in the company too.

these are medical-legal documents, and patient's lives is a wrong dose is given. - errors need to be called out IMHO. George

[ In Reply To ..]
has to be help to a minimum, surely you can understand that. And QA is another way to get it to a minimum.

part of the territory.

exactly - noni

[ In Reply To ..]
We all need those quality coaches to keep us humble. Who knows how many patients' lives I've negatively affected by typing Ms. Jones instead of Ms Jones. Oh, and how many "readers" of reports have looked at a report and asked themselves, "Did she mean a small disease of a vessel or a disease of a small vessel" because I left the hyphen out? Yep, have to stay on our toes.

This IS just that kind of fussy work. Within our limitations, - our job is to provide another safety net. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Noni...You hit the nail on the head....Thumbs up. (NM) - MT 44

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

If our job means life-and-death to a patient, then - why are we paid & treated like less-than-nothing?

[ In Reply To ..]
They can't have it both ways. They want 99-100% scores on QA. 24-7 MT availability. Medical knowledge that many doctors & nurses must have, and English & word-processing knowledge that most nurses & doctors DON'T have. They want "certification" (albeit bogus, but whatever), they want us to be able to just sit down and do their toughest accounts without so much as a single blank, or one report out of TAT, but then of course, they also want us to have all those attributes, and MORE, and basically GIVE it to them for 7 or 8 cpl. What is wrong with this picture?
because they keep bidding lower to get the client to sign up. - hae no idea why they treat you poorly.
[ In Reply To ..]
We should be paid accordingly and respected for what we do, I agree. But how good we are (or are not) has nothing to do with low pay - that falls with the MTSO who is underbidding 10 other MTSOs to get the contract with the client. That sets your rate, we get a percentage of what the account pays per line.

that's why 'pay is based on experience' is pretty much a flat out in-your-face joke on us.

to noni-another thumbs up! - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You said it so perfectly.

If I receive feedback from QA - (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
which is rare and usually something that goes to the entire team, but even if it is directed to me only, unless it is required, I do not reply. I read the feedback and if it applies to me (as in something I have been doing incorrectly, not that something that applies to everyone else wouldn't apply to me for any other reason), I make note of it and try my best to do it the way they state. If it is something I am doing correctly already, I continue doing what I am doing. If they say something I consider snide, I ignore it and move on with my day. I know that I am not perfect, and neither are they. While I do save all work-related e-mails, I seriously doubt I would ever reply to QA on anything unless they are requiring me to respond or I have proof of inconsistencies in QA, in which case I would politely ask which way they really want it done and supply them with the inconsistent feedback that I have received. It just seems like the best policy to me, what with us being faceless to them and me not wanting to rock the boat and wind up without one. Not to mention that I do not get paid to engage in back and forth e-mailing with them, or even to read the ones they send. I try to waste as little time as possible on anything that is not increasing my paycheck. I do consider it important, just not important enough to waste time trying to get them to see it my way.

I have to reply - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't want to get into the whole thing, but I have to reply to them. So it's definitely not a waste of time.

Just say, "Thank you for taking the time to do this for me." - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
and that you'll take it under advisement, and then sign your name to it and move on. No need to get personal or let it get to ya. They have a job to do. You have a job to do.

:)

Replying to QA - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
You've likely already replied but my advice would be that unless you have specific documentation to back up something you disagree with (and I mean MAJOR documentation), then reply with, Thank you for your feedback. It's been duly noted and taken on board.

That's my standard reply (and if my mgr is reading she knows who I am! LOL!)
replying - qmxbpg
[ In Reply To ..]
I did have major documentation regarding a critical error and got an apology. My paycheck, however, was still miniscule so the only satisfaction I got was that my first ever critical error was invalid. I didn't even get the deducted points added back into my audit score.

I do have a question. Does anyone know how MMEs and QAs are paid? Oftentimes I have corrections with my words replaced by the exact words. In the beginning, I would put my glasses on and lean into the monitor and check letter by letter with absolutely no difference between them. When I asked about it, I was told someone simply hit a wrong key. Is someone getting paid for a line by deleting correct words and substituting the same ones?

I dont even read my feedback anymore. I delete - it the moment I check my inbox.

[ In Reply To ..]

Deleting feedback - Nell

[ In Reply To ..]
You are just the kind of MT I don't want to QA for. We are required to give feedback, which many QA editors find a waste of time and we would rather spend time doing other work. The whole idea behind feedback is not to point out your mistakes but to hopefully teach you something. Your attitude says "I have nothing to learn, I know it all." If you feel that feedback is not sufficient or appropriate, you should contact your QA editor or operations manager. What you are doing is a slap in the face for the ones of us who spend a lot of time giving feedback only to have you delete it without even looking at it. If I had my say you would be fired for that!
Feedback - MnK
[ In Reply To ..]
I know why QA is important but when you have 1 telling you to do this and then another QA says no do it this way...well it just gets old and frustrating. Shouldn't QA have it together? What's up with all the contraindications? Makes me just say screw it and do it my way.
''teach you something'' - ranvic
[ In Reply To ..]
This is ''just the kind of QA'' that oozes an undeserved attitude of superiority, a legend in her own mind. QA feedback often involves petty nit-picking and personal preferences presented as fact. Obviously, if one is paid hourly, then one has a lot more time to catch typos---QA does not mean ''teacher''. If you fancy yourself a ''teacher'', go to school, get the degree, pay your dues in a classroom, and then we'll talk. In the meantime, try not to injure yourself falling off that high horse you are riding.
Why I prefer no feedback - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
In my case, QA's "feedback" emails usually are only sent to followup on blanks. Though I am getting more used to it as time goes by, a couple of the QAs where I work seem to have the main goal of insulting me, hurting me, not helping. So, instead of receiving direct feedback from QA, I prefer to look up a completed report myself in the database, which we CAN do, and see whatever was filled in for the blank.

Of about six QAs at the company, three of them are actually polite and helpful. The other three are downright rude and hurtful in their emails, at least that is the way that they come across. Whenever I have responded with a question, I often get a very rude response from those three, like, "You just have to have the last word, don't you?", when all I wanted was clarification, not a fight. It is ridiculous.

It is only my observation, but it seems to me that the most "offensive" QA are those who seem to think of the client or the client's account as a personal "child", and are very possessive and protective of "it." At one point, if I hadn't known better, I would have thought that the one QA was responding as if I had injured her child when all I did was leave blanks in a report for a doc who slurred so much that there must have been 10 blanks in it. This was an interesting lesson in sociology/psychology, as I have never had the feeling of thinking about a job or a client or "account" as MY personal baby. UGH.

as a QA Manager - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
At the company that I do QA management for, we do not ding for punctation errors per se; however, we do expect the MT to read through the report and have it make sense. When I have pulled up documents, (maybe just even to confirm a patient name, for example), I do a quick read through of the report and I do find mistakes that would GROSSLY affect patient care. I have actually IMd "some of the more senior members of our staff" because of things that I questioned. The company that I work for is a smaller company and I have commented on the fact that if for some reason, people decide to move to a different company, they may be raked over the coals by other QA personnel in other companies. Bottom line, and I am speaking as QA for one company and an MT for another company is that our job is to produce a quality document because yes, a patient's life could be at stake. In my regular MT job, where I transcribe, I have my share of "dictators from Hades" -- I leave a blank, I don't try to guess nor have I ever in my 30 years of experience tried to guess. I leave a blank -- I too, am going through personal financial issues, and yes, with this industry and what it has become, that is a large part of the problem, but sometimes you have to let things go. I noticed another poster mentioning that taking a day or so off may help. So very true.

Similar Messages:

"oxilatic Destruction Is Noted Of Both Shoulders"
Jun 18, 2014

"oxilatic destruction is noted of both shoulders" ... sounds odd, and I have searched high and low to no avail :(   ...

QA Talk
May 03, 2011

Over my many years in this industry, I have worked with tons of QA folks.  I was also one of them.  Most of them were great.  Also always wondered why everything does not go thru QA.  They QA all kinds of products in other industries like food products, toys, cars, etcetera.  ...

For Anyone To Come On Here And Talk About
Mar 20, 2014

yet unrealized position is just plain unprofessional. What reaction did you really expect? What was the purpose? Right now you have a piece of paper and a promise. Why not wait out the 6 months and then 2 long Mmodal years and then come back and share your journey of a lifetime. Don't forget, they once sold VR as the ticket to tripling your wages. Now that that train has run off the tracks, they need a new "dream" to suck you in. The promise of #30/hour is probably nothing more t ...

All This Monitoring Talk
Jun 24, 2010

I realize we work on production and that we're not making money when our fingers aren't moving, but I don't think there are too many jobs where you're actually actively working for the entire 8-hour shift.  There's always downtime.  I understand it being a problem if people aren't producing a reasonable amount of work during their shift, but come on!  Being chastised for stepping away from the keyboard for a bathroom break or to grab a cup of coffee i ...

Let's Talk About The Pay We Deserve, Shall We?
Dec 01, 2011

Just for the sake of simplification, let's say there are 3 kinds of MTs: 1.  The MT who does absolutely any work type; operative notes, radiology, hematology, cardiology, neurology, and all the hard stuff, including difficult ESLs.  Good audits and production.  Good at VR. This MT is also certified. 2.  The MT who is not certified but has at least 10 years experience, many specialties, ESLs, good audits, VR, and excellent production. 3.  The newbie who ...

I Have To Thank All Of You Who Talk About Law Suits
May 14, 2012

You've made this board so completely boring that I no longer feel the need to come here every day.    ...

Applying To Talk To Amy?
Jul 27, 2012

Out of 4 slots how many of those do you think will be given to MTs?  I wish whoever is applying good luck. ...

What Is All This Talk About Using F11 All Of A Sudden?
Sep 19, 2012

I used it ONCE and got an e mail from my CCM to PROVE in Remedy and cc her where it needed to be straight typed.  I was told even if I could, to NEVER EVER use it again.  She meant it. So why do I see several threads and suggestions here about people using F11 a lot or suggesting we use it all the time?  I used it ONCE and got called down.  The ONLY reason I was excused was I put in Remedy the job number and a good reason.  However, I was WARNED STRONGLY to NE ...

Let's Talk About Spark!
Oct 28, 2013

Okay seriously..  Spark, the new instant messenger for Nuance times out for inactivity every 4 minutes, obviously set that way by Nuance since the Spark instruction page on their own website says it times out every 20 minutes.  Here's to the Nuance Police and their new "big brother" software! ...

It's Not Fair To Get Paid 1 Cpl For !@#$ Who Can't Talk
Oct 03, 2010

:(((((( ...

More Silly Union Talk
Jan 31, 2011

Before responding, please read this post carefully. Yes, I’m talking union here, but NOT an MT union which would be pointless. Unfortunately we’ve missed that opportunity. Also, this post is intended for experienced professional MTs and include my thoughts on several topics that started down below. And hold onto your hats; this is a long one.   I’ve chimed in on this subject before, but I wanted to make an official post to put it out there and get valuable feedback fro ...

The Reality Of The UNION Talk
Apr 25, 2011

The only person REALLY interested is apparently the person who recently posted.  ****** This followup is posted mostly to point out the REALITY and that's that MTs will NEVER unionize :)  It's just a topic that comes up, everybody creates fervor for their POV and then it all goes away (thank goodness)!   ...

Inscribe - Talk About Unprofessional
Sep 10, 2011

Talk about unprofessional.  Michael at Inscribe calls at 7:00 a.m. for an interview.  Then, when I call back 4 hours later, it is a home number, and Roy answers, hello.  I ask to speak to Michael, Roy seems dazed and confused.  Again I ask to speak to Michael about a job interview.  Roy puts the phone down and yells for Michael, and tells him he has an interview on the phone.  Michael picks up the phone, also dazed and confused.  I explain that I am returning his call, that he had left me ...

Farm Talk (A Bit Earthy)
Feb 03, 2012

So, it's true.  I grew up on a farm.  We had cows and stuff like that.  And in my early wanderings around the place, I happened to notice certain - er, differences, shall we say - among the animals.  I lay no claim to being particularly sharp-eyed, because these differences were more or less at eye level to me at that age.  You couldn't miss 'em if you tried. Of course, this led to certain awkward questions, and in turn I received this memo under my cerea ...

Too Much Talk Of Striking Lately, But Can We As A Group Of MTs
May 10, 2012

Let's face it, striking will do no good.  Complaining about off-shoring has done no good, unless that will cease at a national level for all industries.  Complaining about pay is doing no good, since there is always an MT that will take a job at any rate.  What can we do? What if instead of a strike, all MTs did only the minimum line requirement for a week?  I think many, many MTs should go the Labor Board and file a complaint: If a company requires you to clock in an ...

Do You Talk Out Loud To Your Dictators
Jul 26, 2012

I do.  My faithful dog who sits beside me all day must think I am talking to him, but sometimes when they say the most idiotic things I just feel compelled to respond out loud.  It does make me feel better.  On the flipside of that, I wonder if the dictators are thinking to themselves while dictating that they sure hope I don't leave any blanks so they have to fill them in. It would be fun (?) to get together with some doctors and have a session of "To Tell The Truth A ...

Dictators Who Love To Talk
Apr 07, 2013

Some dictators really like talking into that dictaphone and telling stories (literally novels) about their patients... but , the more these guys talk (blab, rather) - the more money I get! So, it's a doube-edged sword in this regard. The downside is that it's sooooooooo irritating and frustrating to keep typing as they go on and on and on and on and on and on until the cows come home! You wonder when the dictation will end! What do you guys think? Does anyone else get "story telling" ...

Went To Talk To A Lawyer Today....
Nov 20, 2014

.....been going on with my job as a medical transcriptionist for the last several years to see if I had any legal recourse (I don't).  Anyway, while we were talking I found out that he did not have a secretary/receptionst.  I told him if he was ever looking for one that I would be interested.  Then we got to talking about becoming a paralegal, and he said "you really don't want to do that".  He basically said lawyers can be jerks to work with, and when you are ...

May I Talk To An Acusis Worker Privately?
Jul 15, 2010

I have a question about benefits. ...

Okay, Sistas. Lets Talk About BOOST.
May 10, 2012

inactive time, right?  "Inactive time is defined as length of time when neither audio is played nor keystrokes clicked in an open job" as per the email.  SOOOOOO, why dont we all just keep the audio running as we research, go to the bathroom, etc.  Just make a note of where you are in the audio, go do your thing, come back and finish up.  What would MM think of NONE of us had any inactive time anymore, lol. ...

All Talk About Lawsuits Cause Of VR Crap In Jobs. But Does Anyone
Sep 01, 2012

I havent seen any real evidence of a lawsuit brought on by bad VR (is there any other kind?)  I dont think anyone even cares enough to bring a lawsuit. ...

All This Lay Off Talk Caused A Big Stir, Maybe That Is What The OP Wanted
Apr 04, 2013

Anyone ever think that could have been a ploy just to stir the pot and see what response they get here? Some people get their jollies in doing that. Look at the commotion and fear it has caused. Seems to have done the trick ...

Earlier Talk About Keeping Your Office Under
Jun 12, 2013

A few weeks ago there was talk about people thinking we should keep our work/office under lock and key, that someone was going to be showing up and because of the HIPAA law, we would be in big trouble, prosecuted, arrested, whatever. I have something to run past those that were posting. Ok, so today I take my husband to have a procedure done. I am called back to his room as he is awakening and there are 2 people sharing this room with a drawn curtain between them. The doctor comes in to talk ...

Do You Think You Can Talk Any Faster? I Actually Understood A Word!
Nov 14, 2014

Doc was saying the silver alginate was doing a good job, so he will continue the patient on "surovnick."  "Surovnick?"  I spent approximately 20 minutes looking for all brand names of silver alginate, googling every possible spelling of the word.  THEN realized he was actually saying - - silver alginate really fast.   Lets see, how many lines could I have typed in that 20 minutes?  Even after I realized what he had said, it still sounded like surovnick to me! ...

Talk About The Left Hand Not Knowing What The Right Is Doing...
Mar 02, 2015

I get an email from Nuisance saying they are hiring, to which I respond I have tried to start with them, but have been forgotten apparently.  Was told they would get back with me.  This was Thursday and still no word.  Yeah I think not!! ...

There Was Talk Of CA Employees Not Getting Paid Breaks.
May 13, 2015

Has anyone filed a wage claim yet?  Just curious how that is going.  ...

Why, Oh Why, Do They Get To The Laboratory/diagnostic Data Portion And Decide To Speed Talk...Grrr!!
May 12, 2011

nm ...

Patient Unable To Talk Because Of S/l "tree-collar".
Oct 20, 2009

nm ...

What Is The Average Benefit Rate/PTO Rate? Friends I Talk To
Dec 05, 2012

Their way of figuring it is so convoluted.  I wonder if they keep us all low like that.  ...

If I Hear One More "coder" Talk About Stress...
Mar 14, 2014

I'm gonna blow...STRESS????  MT/MME is STRESS, pure stress... having to have all the knowledge (which has to be equivalent with coding), and then having to CHURN out reports at warp speed, and PERFECT...BACK-BREAKING, wrist numbing, neck stiffening PHYSICAL LABOR, too.. Mental and physical STRESS.   to try and make minimum wage.. PRODUCTION PAY.. NOTHING is more stressful than PRODUCTION... no matter the industry.  That, my friends, is STRESS.  And warp speed production ...