A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Economic Reality and MQ policies - The Pessimist

Posted: Mar 02, 2010

Years ago, hospitals were charged 15 cents a line.  Now you see ads for 9 cents.  You all know all the factors that make this possible.  The executives are not going to lower their salaries; they are going to continue to try to lower their cost per line of transcription.  If you are doing this to make some extra money, that is one thing, but for most MTs there is going to be no way you will be able to earn a decent full-time salary unless you can work 100 hours a week.  If you are young enough for a new career, even though this is difficult, find a way to start one.  Transcribing is a dead-end job now.

The problem with their thinking is, if they keep going - down, they will someday soon hit -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
a zero-pay point. No one will work for them for zero pay, not even Indians. If they continue to undervalue their own product (medical transcription) by selling it as cheaply as possible to the cheapskate hospitals, then if they want to keep their fat-cat salaries, bonuses, raises, perks, corporate jets, etc., they will keep lowering the bar. Sooner or later, this business will implode on itself. Couldn't happen to a "nicer" buncha folks.... the MTSOs.

Similar Messages:

Christmas Time - My Reality Check -- Love What I Do Then MT Reality Sinks In
Dec 22, 2013

REALITY CHECK ... makes me wanna testify this Holiday Season, let me share. I am now working as an MT/ME at a major MTSO corporation - and then reality slaps me in the face, on a daily basis as I merrily type my little fingers away, almost to the point of feeling aches and pain penetrating into my metacarpal phalanges. Now do not get me wrong, I love what I do and enjoy my work... and I am very good at what I do (top Tier ME/MT and QA, at the top of the pay scale, and always maintain 98% p ...

MD-IT NEW POLICIES
Feb 19, 2013

Anyone see this company going downhill with this new rapid response poo?  I understand opening up the queues and all that for quicker TAT, but now my line count is backsliding, running out of work on a frequent basis.  The new policies are being written by head honchos that have no clue how things are done, just looking for a quicker buck, and then wording their so-called memos with some much gooble-d-gook big words that you have to have a college professor decipher, you cant decide wh ...

Re Merger, Read The Policies Link?
Nov 24, 2009

I did.  There again, they cover their tail in every respect, re us having second jobs, downtime, etc.  It is quite a list.  I'm afraid the death of MDI is the end of decent MT jobs.  Have you read the details?  What do you think? ...

Looking For Info On Private Insurance Policies.
Mar 30, 2011

nm ...

Mini-Medical Insurance Policies
Apr 05, 2012

I've been doing a lot of research in the past few weeks and wonder if others have reached the same conclusions. My MTSO is offering a backup "mini-medical" (reduced benefits) plan for employees whose hours have been decreased due to lack of work.  When I resarched this kind of plan, this is what I learned. 1.  A typical major medical insurance plan:  Your insurance carrier recommends seeing in-network care providers.  The carrier has pre-negotiated rates with these pro ...

Where Do I Find OOW/Remedy/six Minutes Info? Not Found In Policies.
Feb 12, 2014

nm ...

Perception Vs. Reality
Mar 03, 2010

I have read the emails and spoken with several of my friends as well as my Quality Coach. I have not always agreed with MedQuist over the years, however, I am not so ignorant or blind to miss the fact that the Q ... perceived to be evil or not, IS INVESTING in several programs that undeniably help the MTs who do the right thing, the so-call "higher performers".     ...

Need To Know The Reality About An MT Career
Oct 26, 2011

I am considering going through training to become an MT and have been reading the posts on this forum for several weeks now. Before I make a decision I would like some opinions from you all who know this industry. Specifically, I would be looking to do MT on a part time basis. I am a stay- at- home mom with two kids in elementary school. My questions: 1) How realistic is it to find a part time job in MT (after training) where I can work my own hours from home? It seems like a lot of ...

Internet And Reality
May 01, 2012

You all do know that because this is a public forum, that ANYONE can say WHATEVER they want and pump up their company, MQ, M*Modal, Nuance, ad. naseum?  Right?  You do know that, okay.  Back in the "day", we kinda knew who was who, and what was what; it is not that way anymore.  It is a whole new world.  You can open a new company with a couple bucks, post a lot of "WOW" comments on Google reviews and what-not, hey, looking good, good ratings/reviews.  Really, you&n ...

Reality Check
Jun 18, 2012

Transcenders are nothing special? Oh yes we are. Worked for a hospital system for over 20 years, was sold into slave labor to Transcend and now Nuance, the Wal Mart of transcription, is taking over. Sit here daily wait, wait, wait for work on an account that I KNOW GOOD AND WELL there is work on. Nuance, the Wal Mart of health care does not care about YOU, ME or the next person. All they want is $$$$$. ...

The Reality Of The UNION Talk
Apr 25, 2011

The only person REALLY interested is apparently the person who recently posted.  ****** This followup is posted mostly to point out the REALITY and that's that MTs will NEVER unionize :)  It's just a topic that comes up, everybody creates fervor for their POV and then it all goes away (thank goodness)!   ...

When Will The Stats Show The Reality In Transcription?
Nov 15, 2009

In searching the web for a new job I keep running into federal and state stats that say the low end salary of a newbie transcriptionist is $14 and high end is $24.  They must be talking American dollars because Indians make $0.78 an hour.  They also say it is a growing field (so much so it's spilling into the sea and floating to India) and there is a high demand for experienced medical transcriptionists (!?)  Where the heck do they get their outdated information???  I f ...

Future Of MT -- Love What I Do, But Reality Sinks In
Feb 04, 2012

REALITY CHECK ... makes me wanna holler!! Now working as an ME/MT at two major MTSO corporations – and then reality slaps me in the face, on a daily basis, as I merrily type my little fingers away, almost to the point of feeling a bit of pain and arthritis coming on.  Please someone hand me the Mineral Ice or  Aspercreme before I  can no longer stand the pain !!!  ... and I am very good at what I do (top Tier ME/MT and QA, at the top of the pay scale, and always maint ...

Expectations, Reality Check ..and Plan Of Action
Dec 23, 2012

I just cant believe MMOdal have set their bar so low... What has MModal done to make our accuracy grow DEP programers, heres a piece of advice...get an option of grading the dictator in ur next version of DEP within the file....like, excellent, decent, good, bad, worst...whoever ever get 2 weeks of worst % should be warned if still no improvement, penailze with heafty fine and still no improvement, should be dumped from dictating forever.. 1.  MMODAL face it..ur DEP program is grabage..e ...