A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Section for new opportunties; branching out from MT - What do you think?

Posted: May 05, 2012

Could there also be a section on this website for "New Opportunties for MT skills" or the like?  Or "What comes next" where people could share what they are working on for the future?  

The great ideas are rolling in today! - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you've got an excellent idea. Thanks for posting. Someone had mentioned working in a department store - I thought that was a great job lead also. Could be really helpful to have all the job tips located in one place, for people to browse...you know, when they have time..."NJA" time... :)

How about carnival ride operator? - Dog walker? Blinker Fluid Changer?

[ In Reply To ..]
Wait... all of those jobs are low paid and you will feel you are worth so much more than they pay you, and then you will have to start a whole new revolution...

Yup, better get that board!

Board - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think we we need another board. I found that coding was not for me, but I have the background and should not be "banned" from that discussion because I'm not working in a coding related field and chose to stay with MT, which is what I know and enjoy. What kind of coding are you studying for? Inpatient, outpatient, surgical center, outpatient clinic? You're still a student yourself and may not know what you're getting into, you also have no guarantee of finding work in your field (BTDT). Frankly, I'm feeling a little sensitive about being treated on these boards as if I have a mental deficiency because I'm not a "coder."
Response - What do you think?
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not "just a student" and have a coding background also. Finding a job is not an issue for me. I have already turned down several opportunities in order to focus on preparing to sit for exams.

Sorry you did not want to do coding or perhaps I should congratulate you on being a well-paid MT. That's hard to pull off. I don't want to go into MT. I want to do coding in a niche field and that is why I am back in school.

Yes, you do seem a little sensitive if you are getting "banning" anyone or patronizing language from my suggestion. If anything, I felt patronized by the language in your post. Good luck with your career.

Staying in a bad situation is not an option for me - What do you think?

[ In Reply To ..]
Beats sitting around and getting depressed or staying depressed. Or resorting to being nasty to others who are trying to be kind. That's only a temporary way to feel better about yourself. No one has ever handed me a thing; I've had to work hard for it all.

MTs are hard workers- no doubt - What do you think?

[ In Reply To ..]
A hard worker that shows up on time and does quality work- that's hard to find now. I know that age discrimination is out there, but so is common sense. 50+ and second career generally means no drama, wisdom, and fresh perspective. I'm 30-something and I'd hire that person over some of the idiot 20 somethings that have to bring their parents to a job interview after college for no other reason than being spoiled brats.

Pharmacy techs, for example. Some people think that you need a degree from a trade school. You don't. Some pharmacists won't even hire from a trade school. MTs already have medical terminology, pharmacology, can keep patient names straight, are usually honest (no stealing), show up to work on time...who wouldn't want that in an employee? In my area, pharmacy techs start at $16 per hour and up, with benefits. They can make even more in a hospital, especially with IV certification. Nuclear certification is another specialization that pays well (and is usually a night shift, sometimes with a differential).

Even though my own options are limited by my family situation, I'd love to pass on information about jobs/careers that might prove helpful to an enterprising MT.

Lab Tech? Also not a bad idea. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I did it in the past back when I was going to school for nursing. Basically draw blood all day and enter data into computer. Not terribly bad and you can get some exercise doing it. I made $14 an hour and had I stuck with it, could have been making more by now.

Work enviroment obviously is hospitals and clinics.

By the way, you cant train a machine to draw blood - so theres some security in that.

[ In Reply To ..]
; )

Lab tech - good idea

[ In Reply To ..]
In my area, most of the lab techs are retiring soon. Not a lot of people are going into the field, either. That's what I was told by one of the managers at our university's student health center, anyway. She cited a certain percentage in that industry that were over a certain age. So I think you have a great idea.. Not only that, but I'll bet that many of us already know quite a few "normal" lab values off the top of our heads. Ha!
When I trained for it, I took a 6 wk course at local - Community College. I was
[ In Reply To ..]
offered a full-time at a large clinic at the exact time I got offered a full-time job doing transcription at the hospital I use to work for and the pay would have been the same as my starting pay with transcription, but I declined.

May reconsider doing it again in the future, but it makes better sense for me to go back to nursing.

Just an idea though, as the schooling does'nt take long at all.

That is "phlebotomist" or "lab aide" not tech - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Phlebotomist training is minimal and so is the pay in most areas . . . minimum wage. Lab technicians take a 2 year college degree program and lab technologists a 4 year program at colleges wihich have American College of Pathologists affiliated programs. They must pass a difficult certification exam in order to work.

It is great work, but laboratory automation is eliminating low-level jobs and requiring higher skills. Even those med techs with 4 year degrees are having to advance to keep up with the jobs. If you feel that that kind of adjustment and advancement is too bothersome in coding, you are not going to like it much in the lab.
I know what a "phlebotomist", but where I live they - are called Lab Techs. When I
[ In Reply To ..]
did it, I made $14 an hour. Minimum wage in my state is $8.40 an hour. The hospial I use to work for called them Lab Techs.

And the clinic I worked for back in the day had "Lab tech" on my badge.
Agreed - Lab techs or Med techs
[ In Reply To ..]
They are called lab techs in my area also.
Definition of a Tech - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
1. A person employed to look after technical equipment or do ***practical work in a laboratory***

2. An expert in the practical application of a science.

I think you were referring to #2 where it has the word *expert* and application of science.

Also, having worked in the healthcare field all my life, most employers will train you on the job to do additional tasks. Phlebotomy is a certificate class that you can take to get your foot in the door. Healthcare facilities would much rather train their current employers to do the job then to bring someone else in off the streets.

Just like CNAs are also called Techs and the hospital trains them to do EKGs and other duties besides just the usual CNA work.

I have always worked in the healthcare field hospitals, clinics etc. So I know the game and how it works.

MT companies are new to me, but been in the healthcare field all my life.

PS...I'm not the coder.
I think she was referring to - what we also
[ In Reply To ..]
call lab techs where I live. They are actually MLT (Medical laboratory technicians) or MT (Medical technologists). MLTs require an associates and MTs require a bachelors. There is really no getting around this at a hospital as far as in-house training. They are the ones who actually run the laboratory tests. They are under CLIA and state regulations. The hospital I used to work for wouldn't even allow someone to work as a lab tech after graduation until their certification had been passed. Phlebotomists in my area start anywhere from 9-10 an hour. You can make on up to probably 13-14 after a while, but are pretty much not allowed to do much more in a hospital setting.

Emailed Cher and made suggestion - What do you think?

[ In Reply To ..]
Let's talk about what smart people can do next. It's not that I'm not sympathetic, but let's have a positive thread. If not MT, what comes next?

What you are suggesting sounds nice, but this IS an MT board. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
s

Thanks for getting this started. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I enjoy hearing what my fellow MTs' plans are for the future. I have already learned a few things here. For example, had not heard of data migration or coding before reading it on MTStars. Unfortunately, neither of those fields interest me and so the search goes on for what I want to do when I grow up. Better figure it out soon since I turn 50 next year. : )

Similar Messages:

Branching Out
Mar 26, 2014

I decided to test the waters and see what companies pay for other transcription, such as medical insurance transcription.  I was less than enthused to find that they no more than $25 per audio hour.  Assuming an audio hour takes 2-3 hours to complete, that's between $8 and $12 an hour before taxes.  There's no way of knowing if the dictation quality will be good or bad.  I think it's too big a risk to sign a contract for $25 per audio hour.  The companies ...

Gyn - CS Section
Oct 12, 2010

s/l Lexus O retractor ??? ...

Name Of Retractor Used In C-section
Apr 12, 2010

In a C-section -- dictates:  the midline revealed the peritoneum which was entered, extended superiorly and inferiorly and a s/l leksus O retractor was placed.    Thanks ...

In Labs Section
Oct 07, 2010

Right after total bilirubin doc says what s/l t-time or t-timer 1446.   Thanks! ...

C-section Op Report
Jan 04, 2011

Pre adn post op diagnoses are:  A 38 week pregnancy. A previous cesarean section. Early labor.  There is also mention of cervical stenosis.  Dr. ESL and I am new so struggling with this paragraph. She has a significant history of having had a previous primary low transverse cesarean section in October, 2005 for ______ ( s/l  arrested descent) with labor and _______ (s/l  arrested debilitation) despite an extensive _____ ( s/l  trial) of labor. The ...

Pregnancy/c-section
Jan 24, 2011

s/l "Schwom of clear fluid..."   I'm stumped!! ...

Dr. Is Doing A Caesarean Section
Jun 01, 2011

Dr. is doing a Caesarean section.  I can't get get a good sound of type type of retractor - sounds like "biliary" ??  Thanks ...

C-section S/l Curr--any OB MTs Know This?
Feb 07, 2013

Doc says "repeat c-section s/l curr." Are there different techniques for C sections? I know there are different techniques for practically everything, but i rarely type OB reports so I'm not sure. Any OB expert who can help me out? ...

Abbreviations In INDICATIONS SECTION
Nov 16, 2009

Hello.  I was just wondering, are abbreviations allowed in the INDICATIONS section of a surgical report?  Thank you!   ...

Are We Not Allowed To Put ('s) In The Nickname Section?
Dec 16, 2009

Everytime I try to respond to someone and put a ('s) like if I put "plumber's wife" or something like that in the Nickname section on post a message, and go to send it I get an error and it will not send. Now if I remove the ('s) then it sends.  Happen to anyone else? ...

Physical Exam Section
Feb 10, 2010

S/l he is saying "scariotristic???? changes of the skin" ...

S/l P3 Rhom - Preg Pt To Have C-section
Dec 22, 2010

nm ...

S/l Marsue Procedure During C-section
Jan 20, 2011

she used this procedure for delivering the infant ...

Just Took A Typing Test And Did Bad On One Section...
Jan 20, 2011

I so badly needed to slow the dictation down but was not able to. I listened to two places a million times and just could not make out what the heck he was saying. Had to leave 2 blanks. That is going to look absolutely horrible.  Rrrrrg, so disappointed. ...

S/l Sertropal Benz (in The HEENT Section)
Mar 08, 2010

NM ...

George Cohen Maneuver? C-section
Oct 26, 2010

Dictator says, "The s/l George Cohen maneuver was performed to separate the rectus muscles and to dilate the fascia." ...

Words In Lab Section, Sounds Like Iron IBC?
Feb 21, 2011

ferritin, iron IBC, iron sat percent pending.    Is there such a lab?   Thanks! ...

CNM/OB Report In ROS GU Section S/l Lightenings X2 Days? Thanks!
Mar 12, 2011

.. ...

Obard Or Ovard Retractor Used During C Section
Feb 22, 2012

I cannot find this, does anyone have any ideas of what it is, placed in abdomen peritoneum was opened. ...

In HEENT Section? Palpable Cords?
Sep 05, 2012

I've heard of palpable cords plenty of times when examining the extremities, but this time under HEENT, doc says "His mucous membranes are moist. His temples had no *s/l palpable cords* and nontender to palpation. Pupils equal, round, and reactive..." Is this correct? ...

Silent Typers - Cheering Section Of ST?
Jan 03, 2013

big high-5 to those who covered the holidays - now its back to the normal for ST with NO WORK even though they tell you there is plenty of work - and how about those bonuses THAT YOU COULDN'T GET because of NO WORK! can we hear from the cheering section of ST? ...

S/l Silchi Clip For Tubal Ligation After C-section
Nov 25, 2012

nm ...

What BPMH Standards For Under Medication Section On LHSC In Canada?
Jan 13, 2014

Anyone know what BPMH standards for under medication section on LHSC in Canada? S/L  "Please see the BPMH" under the medication section. ...

In General Section Of Exam: He Is Here Today With "blin Or Blend" Support Personnel
Oct 31, 2013

Insulin-dependent diabetes. Heart attack. ESRD on HD on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. History of bilateral BKA secondary to diabetes. Pulmonary hypertension. CHF. ...

Heart Catheterization With Section "sumpectomy" And POBA.
Apr 15, 2011

Pt with NSTEMI underwent a left heart catheterization with section "sumpectomy" and POBA. ...

Is It Pool Suction Or Pull Suction During A Cesarean Section?
Jun 14, 2014

I don't do OB reports very often anymore.  After replacing the uterus into the peritoneum and replacing the bladder blade, "warm 0.9 saline pull/pool suction was used..." Visually I could see letting the fluid pool before suctioning to check for any leaks, but I could also visualize that the suction apparatus could have a pull handle for easy maneuvering. Are there any OB regulars that could help me?  I didn't learn anything of value on a Google search and my Steadman' ...

PE Section S/l "timber Tonic" Exam
Sep 12, 2014

I'm transcribing for a new doctor this morning.  In the PE section he states, (s/l) "Timber tonic exam:  No rashes noted."  It really doesn't sound like he's saying integumentary.  Any ideas?  Thanks. ...

S/l "coxie" Titer, This Is In Lab Section NM
Nov 29, 2009

NM ...

Expanding "C2" In Diagnosis Section
Jul 07, 2011

At my company there are a few exceptions to expanding the diagnosis section (MRI, CT), but my question is when the dictator says "C2 lesion" in the diagnosis should I expand that to cervical vertebra 2 or leave as C2? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

S/l "Quey" Vacuum Used During C-section - Nm
Mar 14, 2013

nm ...