A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Regarding what constitutes high production -sm - Curious

Posted: Jan 19, 2011

Thanks all for your thoughts on the "salary/wage expectations" thread below.  I am still hoping to see more opinions on the subject, but there were some references to production and even "high producers," hence my query concerning what you all think constitues a "high producer" versus average.  I am inclined to consider 200 lines per hour as a good producer but not high.  What are your thoughts - understanding, of course, that all accounts differ in difficulty.  However, weaning out the easier as well as the more difficult and just focusing on the average, where does 200 lines per hour production stack up generally speaking?

By your own understanding, there is no "average" out there - that someone working specific realities

[ In Reply To ..]
can compare to. How big is big, or small is small? You need this answer from people doing the same work you do. My company posts production figures for all employees so we all know how we're doing in comparison to all the rest--extremely valuable information.

Thank you for your reply. What is your company average? - nm - Curious

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Well, Curious, - : )

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't added up the hundreds of #s and divided, so I don't know the average.

Still interesting, maybe, is that dividing the # of lines to qualify for each of 6 incentive pay tiers per 40-hour period by 40 gives 138, 162, 187, 212, 237, and 275 LPH minimums (average production over a week). Those groups don't include the base group that doesn't produce enough to qualify for the first incentive pay rung. Although the largest portion of employees does fall below the 212--237-275 tiers, a lot of people do earn in that range, showing it's accessible to skilled people without killing themselves or being phenom typists. A much smaller number produce on the top, 275+ incentive tier, but large enough to show it is accessible to consistent hard work, there not being that many phenoms around. Work difficulty/time needed to complete reports at our company falls above average in general.

Hope that helps.
It does help - thanks. nm - curious
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
Should have added this thought to my previous post, but better late than never. sm - curious
[ In Reply To ..]
It does help in that it tells me that those that may perhaps be producing consistently around 175 lines per hour could not expect to make anywhere near $40,000 a year with your company or, I suppose, any other for that matter. Would that be a fair conclusion to come to?

BTW, thanks for taking the time. That's my last question for you.
Doing the math, $40,000 per year is possible, given the right conditions, but less and less likely - if working for an MTSO today
[ In Reply To ..]

I am not the poster who replied to your question and gave you the information about the incentive pay tiers for one of the MTSOs, but I did some quick calculations (also curious) and thought the results might be of interest to others as well. 

Can a Medical Transcriptionist make $40,000 a year without ruining their mental or physical health?  That is a hard question to answer, as there are too many variables.  Yes, anything is possible.  Making $100,000 a year as a Medical Transcriptionist is POSSIBLE, given the right conditions, but it would take a very good starting cents per line; a platform that is lightening fast; and bonuses, differentials, and incentives above the norm.  Overtime and working more than 8 hours (in a row) per day would probably also come into play. 

The “industry standard” seems to have become a starting cents per line of 8 cents.  If you are able to make 10 cents per line (as an employee), that is currently considered above the norm.  

Using just the above company’s incentive pay tiers, if you were to work ONLY 40 hours per week, you could expect to make the below salary (again, without overtime, bonuses, incentives, etc). 

100% Straight Transcription 

(65-character line, with spaces)

Full-time (40 hours per week) 

No overtime, no bonuses, no shift differential, no incentives

Skill Level

Minimum Line Per Hour

8 Cents Per Line – Per Hour Pay

10 Cents Per Line – Per Hour Pay

8 Cents Per Line – Yearly Pay

10 Cents Per Line – Yearly Pay

Standard (minimum)

Acceptable

Average

Above-Average

High Producer

Exceptional

Hope that gives you some insight into today’s Medical Transcriptionist wages.  

Very nicely done - Thanks. nm - curious
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
Sure 40K is possible - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Sure it is possible. (I made 45K last year working 5-6 hours a day. And that is straight transcribing--I won't do VR.) The way people go off the track is to think they can jump right from school into a gig and draw down that kind of money immediately. It takes time (years!) to build speed (and accuracy, which is at least as important). But the answer is yes, you certainly can do it. (Back in the 90s I was making 30% MORE for the same amount of work, but don't get me up on that soapbox.) :)- Don't give up!

Curious - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I would call 200 lph high average. I would call high producers/power users anyone who could CONSISTENTLY do 300-350 lph on any and all accounts. (These would obviously be people with years of experience.)

Interesting inputs since I posted the incentive info. - For anyone inclined to further analysis.

[ In Reply To ..]
please note:

Each incentive tier adds 1/4 cent per line to all lines produced per week. The difference for SINGLE-income households between consistently low producers and high producers at the same company would range from low working class to the lower portion of the upper middle class. From sharing an apartment with another renter to owning a home in a nice neighborhood.

The figures for per lines per hour are for combined editing and transcription, actual combo worked varying from person to person.

"Doing The Math's" input is great, but note that someone in the 138 incentive tier, labelled as minimum-level worker, at our company actually produces in excess of a whole pool of mins who only earn their base rate and don't produce enough to reach that initial incentive pay tier.

The figures posted at our company suggest two giant obvious factors: Of course, the skill level. Early on I would have been delighted to finally exceed 138 LPH. It does take time to work up.

Second, actual time worked. Total hours worked are posted, and many people choose to work part time, some very part time. Working 7 to 8 solid hours a day, 5 days a week at the keyboard, typically subtracting mostly only the sort of potty and coffee-refill breaks one would not sign off for, is an enormous factor in achieving higher production at any skill level. I feel sure that top tier is basically made up of the sort of people who set themselves a work schedule or line goal and keep to it. I used to have a friend like that who never accepted personal phone calls between 8-12 and 1-5. It was literally the first thing she told me about herself when we met at an MT dinner and were arranging to get together again. :)

Similar Messages:

What Constitutes A Critical Error In Your Book?
Dec 04, 2009

Besides medication errors, can you give me some examples of what other errors could affect patient care? ...

S/l Loprozol 50 Mg BID. Pt Has A Hx Of Type II DM, HTN, High Lipids, High Lipids, Heartburn, Neurop
Jan 12, 2010

x ...

Hyphen ... Providing High Quality Care OR High-quality Care
Oct 06, 2011

... providing high quality care OR high-quality care. I did it one way and the dictating NP says it should be the other way.  I have to do it her way but I would appreciate hearing from some fellow MT professionals. Thanks for any input.     ...

Is It Mucous Secretions And Mucus Production Or Mucous Production?
Mar 11, 2013

Is it mucous secretions and mucus production or mucous production? ...

High VR Producers Who Do 400-700 LPH, Can You Say
Jan 24, 2010

I know some of you have taken a bashing, but I'm a believer and admire your skill.  I am curious about your definition of a line and how long you've had the same account(s).   I think most posters assume lines are defined at 65 characters including spaces, but that's not always the case (especially for those who work directly for hospitals or clinics, which many times are 60-character lines or less and include headers, footers, demos, etc.)   Can you give us an ide ...

High Grade...
Apr 18, 2010

I'm having a TIA, I think.  This sentence is "....68-year-old woman with a high-grade leiomyosarcoma..."  Should there be a hyphen in "high grade" or not?  I've totally thought about this too much and I can't remember when you do and don't use the hyphen.  Please help!! Thanks! ...

High Moon??
Apr 21, 2010

This dictator is in the south, so maybe this is just something regional that I cannot find but he dictates this "He had approximatley an 8 year or so high moon with no headache" I swear that is exactly what I hear, high moon. Is this a phrase meaning break or interval? ...

TTS Has A High Turnover And If So, Why?
May 28, 2010

So does anyone know if TTS has a high turnover and if so, why? ...

High Volumes
Apr 30, 2015

I was wondering does anybody have a clue why in the world the volumes are so high.  My gosh, I can't give anymore OT than I'm already giving!  Believe me I'm happy for the OT, but was wondering if there are rumors if they let some go or are no longer hiring if people are let go or quit.  Getting worn out! ...

Is 97 A High Respiratory Rate?
Jan 14, 2010

Usually my respiratory rate values are in the teens.  This time it's 97 and wonder if I should question.  Patient is 92 years old and has weakness and dimentia.  I've searched for rr values and it shows normals 12-20. ...

S/l Duets Sulphoresis For High HGB
Aug 30, 2010

DX: High HGB. Have him do (s/l duets sulphoresis) and try to donate 2 units at that time. ...

Expectations Too High - Am I Unrealistic?
Sep 29, 2010

I need opinions please.  Do I expect too much?  When I ask my lead a question I do not usally get an answer.  When she does choose to respond it is  very often rude and/or condescening.   Not one time have I ever gotten a sample despite numerous requests.     Am I unreasonalbe? ...

To High Producers On M*Modal
Nov 04, 2010

I wondered if any of you who are good at M*Modal can give me some good pointers on getting faster with this program.  I have been working on it for about 6 months and don't feel I am gaining any speed on it at all.  The whole thing for me is having to reattach the cursor to the highlighter that is giving me the most trouble.  It is just awkward and such a stretch to hit that F12 key to reattach each time I have to make a correction.  I would be forever grateful!! :) &nb ...

High-powered Field
May 19, 2011

We are having a discussion on "high-powered field" versus "high-power field."  i was taught that it is "high-powered field."  Any thoughts? ...

Last Eve High Backlog Ev1 Help, This Morning NJA
Feb 03, 2012

NM ...

High-pitched, Wispy NPs
Dec 05, 2012

My heart sinks when I get a high-pitched, wispy-voiced NP dictator. In general, though I like female practitioners, I dislike female dictators. I'll take a male voice with an accent over an NP with a little girl voice you can barely hear. ...

Have Not Biopsied, So I Do Not Know If He Has High S/l VAN Or VIC Levels
Feb 12, 2013

Patient has HIV and is status post acute kidney injury: He has had no evidence for cryoglobulinemia or hypocomplementemia.  It will be interesting to see what his protein has done with improvement in his HIV parameters.  As per previous notes, I have not biopsied him.  Therefore, I do not know whether he has a high s/l VAN, high s/l VIC, or whether this is diabetic related kidney disease.  However, it would not change his management at this time.   ...

Taking The High Road
Oct 01, 2014

Just gave my 2 weeks without giving a justification.  Upon reciept, I was asked why.  I decided I'd give my why on the high road, but man was it tempting to just let it all fly in a manner be fitting a swarm of angry bees.  Here's my response. In the years I've been with the company, the corporate culture has changed dramatically.  I feel as though M*Modal is no longer a good match for where I am currently nor where I'm going in the future.  I value ...

For Those With High Line Counts-
Jan 29, 2015

I pulled up some old posts on here for line count averages, etc. I am seeing the high producers really utilize their word expander programs (work smarter, not harder). Do any of you have any websites that can help with tips for utilizing it? Do any of you use medications in the expander (I do not)?? Tips for using it/remembering what you enter (that's my problem)? Do any of you use it on VR and actually produce more b/c of it? I usually straight type and find on VR I do not really use my ex ...

Audits...they Need To Get Off Their High Horses About
Feb 11, 2015

have enough MTs to quit demanding OT all the time.   ...

S/l Verapino For High Blood Pressure
Mar 08, 2010

The patient takes s/l verapino for high blood pressure. Tia. ...

Do Only The High Producers Get The Grand Treatment?
Mar 17, 2010

I have requested more work and have been turned down.  I have asked for another account and the same thing, turned down.  I have been switched over to cover many accounts and when asked was told that the high producers are working on other accounts and I need to switch to cover.  Every time I ask about anything at my company, the answer is that is only for the high producers.  I produce my required quota of 16,000 lines per pay with 98 or more percent accuracy.  I cannot ...

Verizon High Speed Internet
Apr 15, 2010

Was wondering if anyone has used Verizon High Speed Internet and what your experience as with it?  I am considering switching as it 50% less my current cable service.  TIA! ...

I'm A High Producer Switching To QA. How Many LPH Should I Expect
Sep 08, 2010

nm ...

Drug S/l You-na-vase 7 Mg Pt Has HTN And High Cholesterol
Dec 09, 2010

x ...

Drug Help S/l T S04 65 Tid. Pt Has Hx Of HTN, High Lipids, Cataracts
Dec 15, 2010

x ...

Anyone Using Their Own Modem With Comcast High Speed?
Mar 16, 2011

Hey all! I have Comcast high speed internet and am paying a $7/mo rental fee for using their modem. If anyone out there uses a store-bought modem with Comcast, would you mind naming the brand? With my luck, I will pick the wrong kind and have problems right after taking the Comcast one back. Actually, if anyone thinks I should stick with the rental, I would like your opinion, too. Thank! ...

Leaving Transcription ... Low Pay, High Expectations
Jun 06, 2011

I have had it... Low pay, high expectations, stressssssssss!  Going to work in a department store. Hourly wage, paid for all I do all the time. ...

Easy High-Paying Jobs
Mar 10, 2012

Not saying anyone would ever possibly want to get OUT of MT, but if there should be some lunatics on the board who are thinking this way, well...     ...

Med S/l Lo-meer-a Pt Has DM, HTN, Arthritis, High Cholesterol,
May 03, 2012

x ...