A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Leaving transcription ... Low pay, high expectations - Mookie

Posted: Jun 06, 2011

I have had it... Low pay, high expectations, stressssssssss!  Going to work in a department store. Hourly wage, paid for all I do all the time.

Best of Luck Mookie, probably be right behind you - Rara

[ In Reply To ..]
Good decision Mookie. See my recent post on the Medquist site, explaining my (our) situation. Seriously, do people realize that the folks typing their medical records are on their way to earning as much as the kid serving them their fast-food items? I can't believe what is being done to our profession and I am not going to go quietly!

I'm Leaving Too - Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm leaving the profession too. Just a matter of time. I have a non-MT interview on Tuesday.

Best of luck to all who have chosen to leave the field.

For the record, most patients don't even know this field exists unless they know someone in the field. I sure didn't!

Leaving - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm hoping to leave by the end of the year or drastically reduce time spent on it and do something else more lucrative as my full-time job. That's so true that most patients don't know we exist. I'll bet, if they knew that whatever they say or tell the medical care providers might end up on paper, they would be hesitant to share any personal information with them. I know, I'm very careful about what I share with a medical person, knowing that they may broadcast it in one of their dictations.
It's called confidentiality - see message - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
As as MT, you might look into it.
Confidentiality - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, I'm aware of confidentiality and HIPAA and all that, but many patients still believe that their information is just between them and the doctor. They have no idea that dictations take place in which any details they shared with the provider may be recited and printed in a written report. I used to think the same.
not sure if I'll make it - tiredtyper
[ In Reply To ..]
I was hoping to at least make it 7 more years until my daughter is out of school but if I can't land on a good company soon I'll have to leave the field too. Good luck ladies....
tiredtyper - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with "good luck, ladies," but what about "good luck, gentlemen?" Please don't make the assumption that all MTs are gals. :)
Confidentiality/Unhappy MT - Cindy
[ In Reply To ..]
I think the point would be that a discouraged, underpaid MT may allow her bad attitude to influence how seriously she takes HIPAA regulations, etc. That's what I think the threat is from India. Of course, they have the talent over there to do the job. But, someone making 2 cents per line is more likely to consider identity theft, etc. than someone making 10 cents a line. It shouldn't be like that, but it is. Really, if you're making 10 cpl here in the states, you should be making at least $30K to $35K yearly. If you don't make that, you probably could do things to increase your proficiency.
Rude reply! she did not say SHE divulged information. - Build a bridge...
[ In Reply To ..]
Good grief MTs can be an assumptive, judgemental bunch.....

Me too, going to grad school - ddtok

[ In Reply To ..]
in the fall, hope to be 100% out of transcription next year.

Similar Messages:

Expectations Too High - Am I Unrealistic?
Sep 29, 2010

I need opinions please.  Do I expect too much?  When I ask my lead a question I do not usally get an answer.  When she does choose to respond it is  very often rude and/or condescening.   Not one time have I ever gotten a sample despite numerous requests.     Am I unreasonalbe? ...

Transcription Line Rates Expectations
Oct 23, 2012

Copied directly from an advertisement for a transcriptionist for a hospital setting;  2. Transcribes an average of 10,000 lines per day, based on an 8 hour day.   now, can anybody really do this?  lol.  maybe they are talking speech rec, but even this would be a lot to expect.  Wonder if they pay incentive for going over line requirements.  ...

Leaving Transcription
Jul 30, 2012

I have the chance to take a job doing social work for the county in which I live.  I will be taking a pay cut that I can't really afford and I'm scared to death there will be budget cuts (as is happening in all government agencies), but there is also the chance there won't be cuts to this department and there will be chances for advancement, which I'm not seeing in transcription any longer.  How have you that have left gotten the strength to take the leap into the new and u ...

Anyone Leaving Medical Transcription?
Nov 15, 2014

I've been a medical transcriptionist for 16 years now since graduating from high school.  I am looking for motivation to finally leave medical transcription.  I need to do this for my family and to get myself out of this unbelievable rut I am in.  I am interested in going to school for nursing, so I'm thinking of trying to work in a store or a similar job for the three years I would be in college.  I just don't know how easy this transition will be as the one i ...

For MTs Leaving The Transcription Field, Curious Question . . .
Jan 04, 2010

Where are you going?  Are you staying in the medical field or something different?  Are you leaving home to go back to the office?  I am thinking about getting my RHIT certification to "change things up" and just want to know what other MTs are doing when they leave this business.  TIA ...

Medical Coding - Leaving The Transcription Industry
Dec 12, 2010

I wanted to ask anyone out there how to go about leaving the transcription industry (11 years in) and going into medical coding.  Do any of you know of a bridge over program at any of the institutes?  I got my education at a community college that is nationally accredited so I can transfer credits.  Just curious before I start really looking.  Thanks ...

S/l Loprozol 50 Mg BID. Pt Has A Hx Of Type II DM, HTN, High Lipids, High Lipids, Heartburn, Neurop
Jan 12, 2010

x ...

Expectations For QA.
Jul 26, 2013

Does anyone know the expectations for QAs? Like, are they required to produce a certain amount? How are they paid? Hourly, salary, or per production? Is their quality checked like MLS's are? How often? How long are they allowed/recommended to spend on each blank (I was told by my supervisor to spend no more than 5-7 minutes researching a blank and, if not researchable, 3 listens per blank before moving on. If I go over MY allowed variance hours, I'm told I'm spending too much time ...

So Underpaid For Expectations!
Oct 11, 2011

Need to vent.  Cannot stand to hear any more sad attempts by docs to murder the English language, to expect us miracle workers to turn garbage into important medical records, to expect us to read their minds, to throw out a bunch of words and expect us to give it some structure while staying within about 10 different guidelines, mostly set up by old ladies trying to stay relevent, yes I said it, and all this plus more for about $10/hr on a good pay period.  I could deal with the stress ...

Absolute FED UP With These Expectations
Oct 24, 2012

I am absolutely fed up with being an MT and I am about to leave this field for good. Over the years, I have worked for several MT companies and I know that quality is important. I understand that the reports have to be correct and quality has to be high. However, what I need to *** about is what these MT companies are REALLY doing to us. First of all, to be an MT, we went to school. We studied our butts off and we paid an outragous fee to get this diploma. We took tests and passed them. We ...

Unreasonable Expectations?
Nov 05, 2012

Am I being unreasonable here? I have been an acute care MT for almost 15 years, spent the last year and half learning coding, coding increasingly complex cases, working towards certification. I am having a hard time with the concept of getting certified and then only being able to find a job doing billing in a doctor's office at $13 an hour. I feel like I would be taking a step backwards, like I have all this inpatient expertise, and I would be billing URIs and primary care visits. The ...

Salary/wage Expectations - Your Thoughts
Jan 18, 2011

I am interested in hearing what those of you with experience in this business would consider a reasonable salary or wage in today's market for doing MT.  What do you think the average earnings are for doing medical transcription today.  Would you say $40,000 a year would be over the top, average, or low.  Better yet, if you knew a company was paying an average salary of $40,000 a year, would you consider that laughable or something worth looking into? All ...

Salary Increase Expectations After Getting CPC, CCS Credentials
Feb 03, 2013

I just landed an entry-level position as a hospital outpatient coder!  Yay!  It is a foot in the door towards my new career.  After I sit for and get my credentials (I have 0 experience in this field), I plan on giving my passing credentials to my HIM director and to HR.  Is it appropriate to ask HR when I do my hiring paperwork/orientation what salary increases are given for credentials and per credential?  I am not really sure that is the right time or place to discuss ...

Expectations, Reality Check ..and Plan Of Action
Dec 23, 2012

I just cant believe MMOdal have set their bar so low... What has MModal done to make our accuracy grow DEP programers, heres a piece of advice...get an option of grading the dictator in ur next version of DEP within the file....like, excellent, decent, good, bad, worst...whoever ever get 2 weeks of worst % should be warned if still no improvement, penailze with heafty fine and still no improvement, should be dumped from dictating forever.. 1.  MMODAL face it..ur DEP program is grabage..e ...

QC Leaving?? Leaving More Work For MTs?
Jun 14, 2015

Sorry QC was put on the grid and suffering losses (like we have), but from my point of view the more of them leave, the more work left for us.  Isn't that horrible we are reduced to feeling that way about our co-workers??? Some QC say they are not allowed to do MT unless the account is behind, some say they are allowed when they run out of work.   From the length of time we have been suffering from OOW I have to believe they can and do jump in on our work when out of QC ...

Hyphen ... Providing High Quality Care OR High-quality Care
Oct 06, 2011

... providing high quality care OR high-quality care. I did it one way and the dictating NP says it should be the other way.  I have to do it her way but I would appreciate hearing from some fellow MT professionals. Thanks for any input.     ...

High VR Producers Who Do 400-700 LPH, Can You Say
Jan 24, 2010

I know some of you have taken a bashing, but I'm a believer and admire your skill.  I am curious about your definition of a line and how long you've had the same account(s).   I think most posters assume lines are defined at 65 characters including spaces, but that's not always the case (especially for those who work directly for hospitals or clinics, which many times are 60-character lines or less and include headers, footers, demos, etc.)   Can you give us an ide ...

High Grade...
Apr 18, 2010

I'm having a TIA, I think.  This sentence is "....68-year-old woman with a high-grade leiomyosarcoma..."  Should there be a hyphen in "high grade" or not?  I've totally thought about this too much and I can't remember when you do and don't use the hyphen.  Please help!! Thanks! ...

High Moon??
Apr 21, 2010

This dictator is in the south, so maybe this is just something regional that I cannot find but he dictates this "He had approximatley an 8 year or so high moon with no headache" I swear that is exactly what I hear, high moon. Is this a phrase meaning break or interval? ...

TTS Has A High Turnover And If So, Why?
May 28, 2010

So does anyone know if TTS has a high turnover and if so, why? ...

High Volumes
Apr 30, 2015

I was wondering does anybody have a clue why in the world the volumes are so high.  My gosh, I can't give anymore OT than I'm already giving!  Believe me I'm happy for the OT, but was wondering if there are rumors if they let some go or are no longer hiring if people are let go or quit.  Getting worn out! ...

Is 97 A High Respiratory Rate?
Jan 14, 2010

Usually my respiratory rate values are in the teens.  This time it's 97 and wonder if I should question.  Patient is 92 years old and has weakness and dimentia.  I've searched for rr values and it shows normals 12-20. ...

S/l Duets Sulphoresis For High HGB
Aug 30, 2010

DX: High HGB. Have him do (s/l duets sulphoresis) and try to donate 2 units at that time. ...

To High Producers On M*Modal
Nov 04, 2010

I wondered if any of you who are good at M*Modal can give me some good pointers on getting faster with this program.  I have been working on it for about 6 months and don't feel I am gaining any speed on it at all.  The whole thing for me is having to reattach the cursor to the highlighter that is giving me the most trouble.  It is just awkward and such a stretch to hit that F12 key to reattach each time I have to make a correction.  I would be forever grateful!! :) &nb ...

Regarding What Constitutes High Production -sm
Jan 19, 2011

Thanks all for your thoughts on the "salary/wage expectations" thread below.  I am still hoping to see more opinions on the subject, but there were some references to production and even "high producers," hence my query concerning what you all think constitues a "high producer" versus average.  I am inclined to consider 200 lines per hour as a good producer but not high.  What are your thoughts - understanding, of course, that all accounts differ in difficulty.  However, wean ...

High-powered Field
May 19, 2011

We are having a discussion on "high-powered field" versus "high-power field."  i was taught that it is "high-powered field."  Any thoughts? ...

Last Eve High Backlog Ev1 Help, This Morning NJA
Feb 03, 2012

NM ...

High-pitched, Wispy NPs
Dec 05, 2012

My heart sinks when I get a high-pitched, wispy-voiced NP dictator. In general, though I like female practitioners, I dislike female dictators. I'll take a male voice with an accent over an NP with a little girl voice you can barely hear. ...

Have Not Biopsied, So I Do Not Know If He Has High S/l VAN Or VIC Levels
Feb 12, 2013

Patient has HIV and is status post acute kidney injury: He has had no evidence for cryoglobulinemia or hypocomplementemia.  It will be interesting to see what his protein has done with improvement in his HIV parameters.  As per previous notes, I have not biopsied him.  Therefore, I do not know whether he has a high s/l VAN, high s/l VIC, or whether this is diabetic related kidney disease.  However, it would not change his management at this time.   ...

Taking The High Road
Oct 01, 2014

Just gave my 2 weeks without giving a justification.  Upon reciept, I was asked why.  I decided I'd give my why on the high road, but man was it tempting to just let it all fly in a manner be fitting a swarm of angry bees.  Here's my response. In the years I've been with the company, the corporate culture has changed dramatically.  I feel as though M*Modal is no longer a good match for where I am currently nor where I'm going in the future.  I value ...