A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

for those with high line counts- - sm

Posted: Jan 29, 2015

I pulled up some old posts on here for line count averages, etc. I am seeing the high producers really utilize their word expander programs (work smarter, not harder). Do any of you have any websites that can help with tips for utilizing it? Do any of you use medications in the expander (I do not)?? Tips for using it/remembering what you enter (that's my problem)? Do any of you use it on VR and actually produce more b/c of it? I usually straight type and find on VR I do not really use my expander at all. Looking for some tips and/or websites with tips on how to enter things for more production. Do you all enter stuff for pretty much each doctor (such as their PE/ROS/normals, etc)? How do you remember what you entered? Thanks.

It was mentioned they are working on a tips class in Enrich--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I will say that I still use Shorthand but its impact is less with VR.

Anything you type multiple times is a good candidate for the word expanders. Adding a couple at a time and using them makes it easier to remember. Start with something simple like tp for the patient. You can also expand off that, with tpi for "the patient is," etc. For headers that I would have in all caps, I preface it with an 'h' so SOCIAL HISTORY: history is "hsh." Write them down in the beginning to help you remember. If something needs to be stored as an abbreviation I would store "bp" to where it comes at as BP. Then I would save bp2 or bpx to come out as blood pressure. Just find a system for yourself.

A few others that are helpful--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I also have one for blanks, it keeps me from having to count the underscores as I type. It was really useful on other platforms where the blank needed an audio-marker as well. I would include the command for the audiomarker in the shorthand entry and could keep on moving.

Other command keys are good candidates for shorthand. It was quicker to use a macro to enter a document note on beyond text, or to split documents than it was to try and remember all of the commands. I also have my oow email saved in a command too, it saves me time.

I use quick correct - Just as easy

[ In Reply To ..]
Even though I do mostly VR now, it still helps a lot for me to use quick correct. psh= PAST SURGICAL HISTORY: All capped and colon ready to go. I use a ton of them, pt=patient, h=history, c=chronic, neg=netative, pmh= PAST MEDICAL HISTORY, etc. Even with VR I have to often add the headings, so this really helps a lot.

I put medications in my expander - bn

[ In Reply To ..]
I use Shorthand and have my medications all start with "m" and then the first 3 or 4 letters of the medication. For example, mpen is penicillin.

Here's one I use with - VR -

[ In Reply To ..]
If you get a verbatim account that doesn't want things expanded ever, like segs, echo, etc, and VR expands them (for some reason, VR expands a LOT of things even when the dictator does not say it that way). For all these instances, I use the slash (/) in AutoCorrect to shorten them back. I remember it because "slash" equals "shorten" and it kind of makes sense. Here's an example -

VR gives you "echocardiogram" when the dictator says "echo." I put this in AutoC: echocardiogram/ to change to echo. That way, when echocardiogram is in the report and dictator says echo, all I have to do is place a slash at the end of the word to change it to echo. I do this for all of those words that VR for some reason puts the expanded word when dictator just says the short form. Not sure how that happens. You'd think after hundreds of times of myself alone changing it back VR would learn. But it does NOT.

wow good tips-does anyone use... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
ABCZ format for their expander and ever purchase it online? I think john knowll is the guy who made it?? I'm butchering his name sorry. in a rush. im thinking of ordering. The whole list comes to you plus many others. You just add to your expander and done. even comes with all dates in each format. i'm wondering if you can still order it. i'm going to try. thank you for suggestions. I will definitely use those. This abcz thing has a drug list too and is awesome. you all should look it up.
I just ordered and recd ABCZ yesterday - cheap enough
[ In Reply To ..]
because of the cost I felt it helpful so I would not have to create an expander list from scratch... only 2 days in, but believe it to be worthwhile
awesome. thanks. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
The reason I don't like premade "list" is - that those are hard to remember
[ In Reply To ..]
Much easier if it's a system you come up with yourself. But that's just me.

Is that ABCZ thing based on ABC shorthand? That is what I base my expanders on....an ABC shorthand class I took in high school many moons ago....basically, you just use the letters you hear, leaving out all vowels. And use the letter "j" for all ion sounds, "g" in ing and so forth. I also shorten a lot of words like this (first letter of first syllable and then first 3 of next):
component....cpon
echocardiogram....ecar
and so on.......

The less you have to remember the better. It's best if the short forms make sense in some way....IMO. Good luck!
kind of... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
you use the first 3 letters of the word followed by z. I do not have time to enter all these thousands of entries, especially dates, etc. With it being as cheap as it is I feel its worth the money b/c I have NO time. The drug one seems awesome though b/c you can use that as a reference tool too so you aren't looking on google or anywhere else leaving your document.
I use the basic idea, but have not read the book. - bn
[ In Reply To ..]
I use the first three letters and the last letter of a word for the keyword. For example, cury for currently. I make up my own things too like for two word phrases I use the first two letters of each word, like blcl for blood clot. One hint I found helpful in the beginning was to use the letter "x" to expand acronyms, like for cva, that would be my keyword so when I type it lower case my expander types it in upper case, but if I want the expanded version I type cvax and my expander types cerebrovascular accident.

medications in expander - sufferinginsilence

[ In Reply To ..]
This is exactly how I do my medications also. Helps keep brand names and generics straight.

I also try to put as many phrases as I can in shorthand i.e. "The pt was found to have" is tpwfth or pt was noted to have, tpwnth.

for my op reports for 0.5% Marcaine with epinephrine I have 5mwe. For end stage renal disease on dialysis, I use esrdd or esrdh for hemodialysis.

I add to my expander every day. When you come across things that are said alot, I just use the first couple of letters of each word, i.e. isch for ischemic changes. Keeps me from having to remember a lot of shortcuts.

Expander tips - short message

[ In Reply To ..]
I started with PRD+ way back when. It had a basic starting file but also outlined guidelines for naming your short forms -
keep how you name them consistent. Decide on a few "rules" and it makes it MUCH easier to remember them as you are working.

ex: make 1 for abbrv. and 1 for expanded, and do that for all words, like
chf - CHF
chf2 -congestive heart failure
This way you "know" which is the abbrv. and which is the whole word w/o thinking.

make all medications start with the same letter (they used v) and then the first three letters or four letters (some first three letters are common).
vcou - Coumadin
vmetr - MetroGel
vmetp - metoprolol

One I do now is:
if you are doing multiple doctors, use the doctor initial/s and first letter of words in a phrase or template,
mspe - (Dr.) mark smith physical exam
msros - (Dr.) mark smith review of sys.

I have very few one letter short-forms - too easy to make a mistake with them but they are ones I use all the time:
t - the
r - were
n - and
pt - patient
pa - the patient

try to follow the same pattern consistently for naming.
Good luck!

Keyboard tip - Midnite Rider

[ In Reply To ..]
I use a lot of the same expander tips just mentioned. I would also like to say that the keyboard itself makes a world of difference. I switched to a gaming keyboard called the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard. It is also a mechanical keyboard, which I cannot emphasize enough how WONDERFUL it is! It is great for both straight typing as well as VR. It has 5 extra keys off to the left, which you can program to anything you want. I have made the M3 key which is next to my caps key the caps key, and I made the caps keys the control key, so I do not have to move my fingers off the home row of keys because I also reprogrammed the K with the control key to replace the right arrow key and the J with the control key to replace the left arrow key. I have done a LOT of other things with this keyboard, but that is one of the major changes I have made. I ABSOLUTELY love this keyboard. It has green ghost lighting for all the letters and numbers, which I love. You can turn the lighting off if you want, or as bright or as dim as you desire. The keys never wear out, and believe me I have had my share of keyboards in the past. I swear by the green switches although there are also other colors, but they have different reaction times depending on what you want to accomplish. I feel so strongly about this keyboard that I think it should be labeled as the MT standard keyboard, and yet no one is paying me to say this.

im going to check that out... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
...the keyboard. I notice too with VR the keys you have to keep using through the whole document are in odd places and my hands hurt more with VR then they ever did with straight. The fact you can switch keys like that is awesome. thank you for the recommendation. Definitely going to check it out.

Good idea to share ideas - you can always learn

[ In Reply To ..]
And I have from these ideas! Thanks, my fellow MTs.

There are words that are used constantly by doctors that aren't really medical too, and some are actually quite taxing to type out in full.

In fact, in my expander I have subsequently (sbs), significant (sf), insufficiency (isf) and am really surprised how much these kinds of words are used and how much easier it is to type a sentence when the connection is there between fingers and brain.

Another thing I am still trying to train myself on for that connection is using the Home and End keys, i.e. Home will take you to the beginning of a line and End to the end - I often end up in weird places in the text of a document due to hitting a wrong key or ISR being wonky, and if you have the facility to move around with the keyboard it helps with speed.

Re keyboards, a while back I had bought a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 (wired) one in the hopes to stave off my recurrent frozen shoulder and OOS (working 60 hours 2 jobs by necessity since pay cuts). Initially, I really did not like it, it slowed me down, but once I got used to it I feel it is so much better. Not that this is such a great thing, but I can type for hours without any feeling of strain now at all.

The down side, of course, is that now when going back to a normal keyboard I find that very hard to type on, and so it's something I actually need to have a spare of (once I can afford one!), since the dreaded spilt liquid or other catastrophe leaves me without my most important tool.

Keyboard tip - Midnite Rider

[ In Reply To ..]
Before I switched to the gaming keyboard, I had actually typed on the Microsoft ergonomics keyboard, and yes it took a little bit of time to learn, and I liked it, and I did have trouble going back to a regular keyboard, but when I switched to my gaming keyboard, I had no problem at all learning it. The keys seem to be a little further apart than most keyboards, but I love the clickety-clack of a mechanical keyboard. Once you get it and download the software, you can click on the icon and you actually have a picture of the keyboard that comes up on your screen, and you can change any key to anything you want. As I said, there are also 5 extra keys to the left of the `, tab, caps, shift, and normal control key. They are called M1, M2, M3, M4, and M5. I use M1 to put in the document marker when I need to put in a blank. I use M2 to take out the document marker if I decide I do not need it after all. I use M3, as I previously said for the caps key. I work on the Fluency platform, and it already automatically capitalizes after a period. I use the M4 key to copy and paste the previous line(s) such as when I need to copy the preoperative diagnosis. I just hit M4, and it copies every single number in the preoperative diagnosis. I left the M5 as another control key. I can also reprogram any of the F keys to anything I want, such as I have made the F3 key to take me straight to Google. I have programmed the 7 on the calculator to simulate scrolling down with the mouse and 8 on the calculator to simulate scrolling up with the mouse. I have programmed the page up and page down to change my speed in a report. If you have a problem with home and end, you could easily make that something else such as M1 and M2 or any of the F keys or make a shortcut with your Shorthand. I have done so many things with this keyboard. It is amazing!!!

Similar Messages:

Games Services Play Because They Can. High Line Counts So No Benefits.
Dec 11, 2010

Who invesitgates their turnover? ...

Wondering? New Company Working For Counts 65 Characters Per Line. Is This Normal? Seems High To
Nov 11, 2009

NM ...

Nuance Line Counts - Required Line Counts?
Jan 01, 2013

Can you tell me what the required line counts are for Nuance please ? ...

IT And Line Counts Vs Other Line Count Programs
Oct 24, 2011

I would like opinions about the IT (Instant Text) line count program? Do you find it user friendly? Are there other programs preferred/easier? Any suggestions or opinions? TIA. ...

Line Counts - An Accurate Line Counter?
Aug 14, 2012

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of an accurate line counter. I currently use Word, but am not sure if it's accurate.  ...

OSI Line Counts..
Aug 05, 2010

I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what OSI cuts out of their line counts?  Seeing as they use a remote website for line counts, it is pretty obvious they cut corners with what MTs get paid on.  I was just wondering WHAT are the cutting?  Do they only pay 1 space?  Do they not pay if you copy and paste? Do they only pay on a % per page - meaning if you have little on 1 page you aren't going to get any credit for those lines, etc?  Just curio ...

Line Counts Less?
Sep 07, 2010

Is it me, or does it seem that since 6.1 went into effect, my counts are a lot lower than usual when I check them under statistics. ...

Line Counts And ESL
Nov 12, 2011

I know this has been discussed before, but what is up with these line counts?  I used to have no problem doing 200+ lph.  Now, I work at the same pace on an account with less ESL speakers and I struggle to get my required 150 lph.  I won't even comment on the fact that my straight typing has dwindled away to maybe 10 lines a day...on a good day.  Thanks for listening...this is just all so very frustrating.  I try to keep a positive attitude and be very diligent about my work and ...

Line Counts/KNR
Feb 03, 2012

For MTs with this company, are any of you having trouble meeting the line count required with VBC within a 40-hour timeframe?  I even have expander program.   ...

Ok, Seriously, Regarding Line Counts
Jul 12, 2012

I posted yesterday and had lots of views, but no one replied.  Every time I check a line count in different online "character counters", it is about 10% over my MM count.  What is the most accurate way? ...

ASR And Line Counts
Apr 19, 2013

I was wondering if any of you could tell me your average LPH. Is the ASR at Nuance pretty accurate or are you constantly making corrections? How many lines per day are you able to do? I was offered a job here and I know I can trust you more than the recruiter to tell me the truth. Are the top producers really able to make a decent paycheck? Are you kept on your primary accounts for the most part? TIA. ...

Line Counts Off?
Mar 10, 2014

Is anyone's line count for today WAY OFF??  I've been working all morning and it seems to be waaaaaaaay too low! ...

Line Counts
May 18, 2015

Anyone out there finding that their lines are dropping for no apparent reason?  Have been struggling for 2 weeks to get minimum 150 lph, doing nothing different than I've ever done, same amount of work, same clients, same hours but lines suck.  What are the chances they are messing with our bean counter?? ...

QA Line Counts
Jun 23, 2015

How many lines are reasonable to expect from QA per hour?  Is a flat rate of 0.09/line count a good rate?  Any info would be appreciated! Thanks- ...

DTS America Line Counts
Dec 28, 2009

Does anyone work for DTS America and have problems with descrepancies on their line count? ...

Transtech Line Counts
Feb 05, 2010

I would just like to know who DOES get their line counts in every pay period.  It seems I am always a little short due to low volume?  I hope I am not in the same boat........Thanks for the input! ...

Etransplus Line Counts
May 03, 2010

Does anyone who's recently been hired or who have been there a while tell me what the current line counts are for those who want to be full-time employment status at Etransplus?  I work on VA accounts and was told it was 10,0001 per pay period, but I've been told by one of the office staff that it was 12,000.  I've sent email after email to the supervisors with no response.  Does anyone know?  I just want to make sure I'm hitting the right target.  Th ...

What Could Be The Reason For Odd Line Counts?
May 12, 2010

According to the Escript, I'm doing an average of 300 lph on VR but usually at the end of 8 hours, I don't top 1100 liines most days.  On Dictaphone's ExSpeech, i used to consistently do 1800-2400 a day on a combination. I have noticed with EScript that 1 day a week, my lines will hit 1200-1300, and I even hit 1500 one  day, yet the lph were still 300.  It doesn't make sense. No, I do not take breaks.  Half the time I don't stop ...

Increase Line Counts?
Jun 26, 2010

I kind of feel dumb even asking this question but how does one get these 300 lph counts I've read about on here?  I have 12 years plus years experience and have only worked in 2 different hospitals.  We never had expanders so I don't really know much about them.  I average about 180 lph but am realizing now working for an MTSO that I am going to have to increase my line counts.  Thanks! ...

Line Counts And Templates
Jun 22, 2010

Hi - I have a question regarding counting templates. I have a new doc who wants me to only count what he dictates, and not the templated review of systems, past medical history, social history, etc. which is all unchanged (unless he says to change it). Do you cut and paste your work into a "count" file to get the total, or do you tell the doctor that it has to be included in the count. And what about the times he does make changes to the "templated items". I welcome any suggestions. ...

Regarding Consistency In Line Counts...does Anyone Else Have
Jul 17, 2010

extreme trouble being consistent in their line counts? Some days I struggle to get half my lines and some days I can double them.  Of course there are factors that influence that like lack of work, which account I am on, if I am having technical difficulty or if I am having an off day personally, but when I look at my timesheets, I look like the most random person on earth.  I know many people say they work 7 days a week to get their lines, etc., and I have most certainly been th ...

Highest Line Counts....
Jul 19, 2010

My highest line count in a day is 2012.... I am wondering what everyone else's record is and how long it took them to get it ?????  ...

What Line Counts Standards Are Out There
Jul 29, 2010

I am just curious as to what line count standards are out there. What are your line count requirements for the day and how much do you use your QA for things like missing encounters, unable to ID patients, incorrect work types? Where I work our standards are relatively lower than other places, however, we also are required to match encounters, determine the work type, send an email for each work type or inrcorrect MRN, create a temporary patient if we cannot find the patient anywhere in the s ...

Highest Line Counts
Nov 08, 2010

Please share highest line in 8 hour day with VR, but no normals.  My highest was 2300, but range from 1700 to 2300 usually.  I've been at for about 6 months now and need to know where I should be and where I can potentially be.   Thanks ...

DTS America/TN Line Counts
Nov 15, 2010

Okay, another end of pay period with not enough work to make line count.  This is just not right.  Is there anybody working for DTS right now, working their scheduled shift and making their line count?   What is happening there? ...

Suspicious About Line Counts
Dec 02, 2010

Is anyone else suspicious about how they are calculating our line counts?  I have been siltting here VERY diligently and typing like crazy these last few days and my counts seem to be going DOWN!!!  I can't imagine how this can be happening.  Anyone else notice the same?  Is there some way to keep track?  But then again, that would take time from typing EVERY SECOND of EVERY HOUR like they want us to, now wouldn't it? ...

Line Counts - What Am I Doing Wrong?
Mar 15, 2011

I have been an MT for over 10 years doing hospital work. I have never been able to do much over 200 lines an hour straight typing except for the rare occasions I get several eye surgeries in a row that are canned. Usually I fall below this. My account is not difficult, but I do have a couple of different hospitals and of course many dictators. I have put a lot of their ROS and PE in my shortcuts, but of course they make a lot of changes sometimes. There are those that take forever to spit i ...

Verify Our Line Counts?
Mar 24, 2011

Is there anywhere we can look to verify our line counts?  Is this information provided somewhere? ...

Transcend Line Counts
Mar 27, 2011

Did Transcend change the lines or something?  Seems to take a lot longer to get my lines in the last few months.  It happens consistently so I don't think it is just a bad day now and then, or being over tired.  Anyone else notice this? ...

Keystrokes - Line Counts Per Day - Sm
Apr 07, 2011

What kind of line counts do you need per week to be full-time?  Also, do you have to work set hours or can you stop when your line counts are in for the day? ...