A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I'm a high producer switching to QA. How many LPH should I expect - with about 60% ESLs (65-char lines)? nm

Posted: Sep 08, 2010

nm

Your MTs are 60% ESL? Seriously, ESL just isn't - Anon.

[ In Reply To ..]
a standard factor to work off. When I worked for a top-tier hospital, famous around the world, most reports were dictated very well, native born or English as 5th language. When I was assigned a little hospital serving a poor community out in a desert, a large portion of the dictators were fairly recently from another country and I had a terrible time. Native born physicians were typically sloppy there too and also a pain.

Plus, given a normal facility, there IS the quality of your MTs. Top tier or just generally very competent? ESL % will be largely irrelevant.

How about a low-pay break-into-the-field MTSO working on a poor desert hospital?
:(

People keep saying it: An accent does not make a bad dictator. Lack of one does not make a good one, like the sloppy native physicians who had the low-end jobs in the desert.

Do you know, we were actually invited to fill in the diagnoses on ER reports when we felt we knew what they were?! That was because some of the ER docs (ALL native) couldn't be bothered.

Similar Messages:

S/l Loprozol 50 Mg BID. Pt Has A Hx Of Type II DM, HTN, High Lipids, High Lipids, Heartburn, Neurop
Jan 12, 2010

x ...

What To Expect...
Nov 05, 2012

Hi, I applied for a job at MModal.  I am only looking for part-time work to help supplement some of my income. I also work for another company subcontracting. Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as how they contact you, how long, etc.? Thanks in advance. ...

Do You SERIOUSLY Expect 99.6 When You Keep
Jan 27, 2014

It is not realistic and not likely to happen. MModal, you need to get real. ...

I Think We Can Expect To See A Lot More
Jun 23, 2015

very long reports coming in about 10 minutes before we are about to finish for the day, which will force us to either do, causing us to stay over, or opt out of, which will leave time which we then will have to make up at their approval.  There's always torture involved with just doing our job.  It's like industrial terrorism.   ...

Hyphen ... Providing High Quality Care OR High-quality Care
Oct 06, 2011

... providing high quality care OR high-quality care. I did it one way and the dictating NP says it should be the other way.  I have to do it her way but I would appreciate hearing from some fellow MT professionals. Thanks for any input.     ...

MTSO's - Is This The Best I Can Expect?
Apr 05, 2011

After 20 years of hospital-based HIM transcription, they gave us away to Medquist.  I feel set up for failure by not getting consistent hospital accounts and never having a chance to learn a specific account.  Communication with management is - absent - unless they want something from you.  I also find the pay and line count methodology to be deplorable, to say the least.  I have VR experience, but find that Medquist just turns on literally EVERYTHING to VR, and most of it re ...

Editor - What To Expect For Pay?
Aug 29, 2012

I am going for an interview for an editing position with a transcription company who outsources overseas. Can anyone tell me what to expect for pay? - Thanks, SL ...

These Companies Just Expect TOO MUCH!
Aug 22, 2013

These MTSOs just expect way too much out of someone just APPLYING for a job these days that it has caused me to not even apply anymore.  I need work, but I suppose I don't need it enough to be willing to jump through all of the hoops that they require.  The MT testing site has been aggravating enough, to take so much time on a test, not even knowing if you will get a call back, even if you DO pass.  Lately, like the past 3 jobs I have looked into, their testing process was IN ...

Switching To VR
Feb 01, 2010

Would some of you share your experience of going from Dictaphone ExText to VR.  Anything positive at all?  Our company will be going that route and we will be paid hourly so salary should not be a factor.  The bottom line is, it is happening.  I would appreciate hearing from MTs whose companies have switched over; the good, bad and ulgly.  Thanks.   ...

Phone Interview, What To Expect?
Oct 13, 2009

I have a phone interview with Medquist. Could anyone tell me what to expect? Thanks in advance! ...

Softscript--don't Expect A Raise....EVER!!!
May 03, 2011

Over the 6 years I've been with them, have only gotten a half-penny/line raise once!  That was after the first year...never again since and my accuracy has been above the required 98%, usually 100%....GREEDY COMPANY! ...

In-house Job Prospect, What To Expect?
Sep 01, 2011

I just set up an interview for an in-house job.  Problem is, I've only worked from home, so I'm really not sure what to expect.  It is for a rural hospital district.  My experience is with medium to large multispecialty clinic accounts.  The HM manager said it was transcription, including radiology, as well as acting as assistant to her, which makes me think it might be more clerk work than transcription. I'm wondering if there are any questions I should ask m ...

Thinking Of Leaving? Here Is What You Can Expect.
Jun 05, 2012

1. Expect to feel proud of your career choice again. 2. Expect your family and friends to be proud of you for no longer being exploited the way you are. 3. Expect to enjoy going to work every day. 4. Expect to be able to pay your bills on time and even have a little left over to do whatever you want with. 5. Expect to feel a sense of security in knowing that you will be able to take care of yourself. 6. Expect to make some new friends and even have someone to share your mealtime with. 7. E ...

Are There Any Companies Out There NOT Switching To VR?!
Dec 24, 2009

I can't get by on literally half my salary, which is what I've been asked to do. Thanks. ...

Switching From FT To PT For MDI-Transcders
Apr 29, 2010

Have any of you that came in with the MDI merger to Transcend or Transcend MLSs had a problem switching from full-time to part-time, or to IC status, etc.?  It was mentioned during the conference calls that we could switch after the merger if we felt we needed a different schedule or less/more hours.  Was this an easy process with HR or your TL/ROM? ...

Switching Careers From Mt
May 18, 2010

Any of you thought of switching to dental laboratory technician, you can work independently a lot of times and they make pretty decent money.  Or do any of you know a dental lab tech and if they like their job, just looking around for something else to do besides MT ...

Switching To FT With Benefits
Dec 23, 2010

Does anyone know the process of switching to FT with benefits?  Do you just have to let your CCM know and she does the paperwork and switching or is it a big hassle?  I lost my medical benefits recently and that is the reason I need to go FT.  I looked in the HR section of Medquist mail but can find nothing relating to this.  Any information is greatly appreciated.  Thank you. ...

Hospital Switching To VR
Feb 17, 2011

Have been informed that the hospital where I work inhouse is switching to voice.  Has anyone ever been an employee where this happened?  Is there usually enough work for everyone or have there been layoffs?  ...

Switching Companies
Sep 04, 2011

I'm wondering what the going rate is per line for an experienced (10+ years) MT these days - not making enough at my current company and looking to find better pay.  What should I be asking? ...

Account Switching To VR
Jan 24, 2013

Hey MTs and editors!  My account is going to VR.  It's a rather small account and the dictation can be handled by a crew of 4 or 5 most generally.  How long do you suppose it will take before everything shakes out and we are able to see how many people are needed in the end?  I'm pretty sure there won't be enough work.   All ideas appreciated.  :) ...

Switching From FT To PT Advice...
Jan 17, 2014

I am currently working for my MTSO full time, however I would like to go down to part time (still get benefits). I've been tentatively offered a FT nanny position for a dear friend of mine who would pay me cash to take care of her baby, either my house or hers (we live 5 miles apart). I told her I need to think about it as I am currently FT with my MT job, but I am seriously thinking about going down to PT to still have my MT job and insurance (which I need). PT for me would also be better ...

Thinking Of Switching To PT
Sep 28, 2014

Am I more likely to run out of work? I see everyone on here claiming NJA pretty often, I must say I rarely run out of work..Thinking the FT people get first pick because they have to earn their bennies? And will they let me just cut hours from my present schedule or will I be totally rescheduled? ...

How Can One Company Expect An IC To Be Full-time?
Sep 25, 2010

How can one company expect an IC to be full-time?  Isn't this a contradiction?  I mean, how can you be an IC and work for only one company?  Or, does this mean that you should have more than one job and work more than full-time? ...

How Long Should I Expect The Holiday Slump To Last?
Dec 25, 2010

I am trying to learn a new clinic account and find little to no work.  I can't even come close to getting my minimum line requirement of 1,200 daily.  How long does the holiday slump generally last? ...

How Long Should An MT With 10+ Years Experience Expect To Be On
Apr 26, 2011

Sometimes I wonder with companies who pay an MT less while they are on full QA, if they don't simply keep that MT on QA for as long as possible to avoid paying the higher rate.  Has anyone ever pressed the QA issue? ...

Is It Reasonable To Expect A Raise After 4 Years?
Sep 13, 2011

I have worked for the same service for over 4 years.  I am an IC MT.  I feel I deserve an increase.  I asked for one at the end of my first year and was told the economy was bad....blah, blah.  Ok, I understood that but now I feel I have earned an increase.  Yes, I realize that many feel an IC should just inform the service of their increase.  I know that would not fly with this service.  They could care less if you work for them or not.  Theyhave a "we wi ...

Accentus Phone Interview-what To Expect?
Jul 16, 2012

Was just wondering if anyone had any idea of what they ask, etc.  Would like to be as prepared as possible. ...

BeyondTx Question: I Will Be Switching
Feb 24, 2010

to BeyondTx very soon, first straight, then VR.  I would like to become familiar with the platform before the install and training because it takes me awhile to "get it" with new platforms, etc.  I don't want to be thrown into it the day after training.  Is there a manual or something I could look at before this happens?  Thanks.   ...

So, One Of My Contracts Is Switching Over To VR Next Week.
Feb 27, 2011

:) ...

Chartscript.net - Switching From Weblinc
Oct 17, 2011

Has anyone used this?  I found a couple of things in the archives but they are OLD.  I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with it.  My hospital is switching from Weblinc to Chartscript.net and I was wondering what we should expect.  ...