A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

RMT study guide - mistakes in answer key - Thornbush

Posted: Jan 26, 2013

Hello,

I am a fresh graduate from MTEC . I am currently preparing for AHDI's RMT exam. I bought the study bundle which consists of the RMT exam guide and an audio CD. Al in all, I have learned a great deal from the study guide... but... yes, there's always a BUT...

While reviewing the entire RMT exam guide, I noticed some blatant mistakes as well as unclear questions. One example is a mixup between "affect" vs. "effect". The RMT study guide's answer key states that "effect" is a verb, when it is actually a noun! What's more, is that there are many websites that state DIFFERENT normal lab values for AST, yet AHDI's RMT study guide mentiones that the normal value is 3 U/L. The only website that mentions a normal value of AST being 3 U/L is Benchmark KB. Other websites state that it's 5-35, 8-20 or 10-34... WHICH ONE IS IT??

Also, regarding Tanner staging - the study guide states that it is expressed in Arabic numerals. Yet after researching 3 credible websites, they state that Tanner staging is expressed in ROMAN numerals! I'm now utterly confused as to which number expression is correct.

I got so fed up with finding the above-mentioned errors on the study guide while checking myself, that I was compelled to contact AHDI and notify them of these.

I cannot believe that AHDI has such a credible reputation, yet their RMT study guide is filled with errors! How am I supposed to take the RMT exam seriously if AHDI cannot take itself seriously by proofreading for errors before printing the study guides?

Thanks.

Well, nobody else takes it seriously - But, "effect" can be a verb

[ In Reply To ..]
Effect can be a verb. One effects a change in something, for instance. "John effected a change in his blood sugar by eating too many cheese puffs . . . "

It can also be a noun. "The effect of the cheese puff consumption was a weight gain."

As for lab values, they will be different everywhere you look. That doesn't mean any of them are incorrect.

That being said, your concern as a test taker is to adjust your thinking to the test standards. If they want to see Tanner stages in rune stones, then that's what you use.

All certification exams are like that. You just have to figure out what they want and then do it.

RMT study guide - "effect" as a verb - Thornbush

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the info regarding "effect" as a verb, though I've never used it as a verb. In school, I learned that "effect" was only to be used as a noun.

Now, off to research how to transcribe in rune stones ;-)

Affect Vs Effect - ANON

[ In Reply To ..]
This is the easiest Way to remember which to use:

Affect - Influence (or A-I)
Effect - Result (or E-R)
So the example above regarding John's blood sugar and cheese puffs is incorrect. It SHOULD READ: John AFFECTED his blood sugar (NOT EFFECTED)!Just substitute either word in the sentence to see what makes sense. (John RESULTED his blood sugar DOES NOT) I have found this the easiest way to remember which word to use- hasn't failed me yet!!

Incorrect. You left out the crucial words "a change in" - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm afraid your trick just did fail you. A better word to substitute would be "create/d" if checking for the rare verb usage. "Result" (not resultED) is to check for the noun usage.

John effected a change in his blood sugar by eating too many cheese puffs.
(John created a change in his blood sugar by eating too many cheese puffs.)

John affected his blood sugar by eating too many cheese puffs.
(John influenced his blood sugar by eating too many cheese puffs.)

See 2nd paragraph here:

Effect vs Affect - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
You can effect a cure for a disease with medication. That is a verb.

incorrect - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

credible reputation? - thats the funnies thing I ever heard

[ In Reply To ..]
I would NEVER take AHDI seriously! The only reputation I know about AHDI is they sold the AMERICAN MTs out and padded their own pockets in the process.

Credible reputation - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
If AHDI told me that the sun was shining, I would walk outside and look at the sky rather than believe them--about ANYTHING.

Effect, Merriam Webster - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
Effect a cure is correct. Effect can be used as a verb. See below.

Per Merriam Webster: Effect (vt). To cause to come into being. To bring about. To put into operation.

Their example as a verb transitive is as follows: To put into operation...to effect the will of the citizens.

Poster who said effect a cure, then, is correct.

It can sometimes be a verb - JL

[ In Reply To ..]
as in, "I hope this explanation will EFFECT a change." (BTW, I am not a fan of the AHDI.)

What is Benchmark KB Online? - InTheKnow

[ In Reply To ..]
It is a product heavily promoted by AHDI, which is why the study guide and BKB agreed with the lab values. AHDI wants to be the one setting the standard regardless if you take the RMT. MQ promotes this to their MTs (8000+) and I know the Emdat Inscribe platform offers it for its users. BTW, if you are confused about which numerals to use for Tanner stages, just wait; it could change with the next version of BOS.

From the AHDI website:

What is BenchMark KB?
In partnership with the software development experts at InterFix, AHDI has created the first application that sets universal health data quality standards and deploys them to the workstation level, integrating them into the document creation process. That means improved health data quality and improved patient care.

BenchMark KB is a patent-pending HIM knowledge baseâa comprehensive information portal that brings new data standards to the medical documentation process and incorporates real-time access to best-of-class tools, databases, and associate membership to AHDI.

Benchmark KB delivers a universal quality standard for health information in a single, trusted source and includes:

Access to the complete medical reference library from Stedmanâs in a single user interface.
A continuously updated national physician and dentist database (1,000,000 )
Quality alerts library highlight common transcription style errors, including Joint Commission dangerous abbreviations
AHDI Book of Style 3e in searchable format
Associate membership in AHDI
Integration with all popular transcription and EHR platforms

Similar Messages:

Possible To Get A Study Guide And Just Take The Tests?
Dec 24, 2011

Is it possible to get a study guide and just take the tests?  Do you really have to go to school? ...

CPC Certification Study Guide - Anyone Want To Sell One To Me?
Jul 17, 2013

I would like to buy a copy of this book if anyone could sell me one for a good price?  I can pay through your paypal account.  I have seen some on Amazon but they are expensive and I am hoping to find a better deal.  I don't care what kind of condition it is in, written in, whatever. Thanks :) CPC Certification Study Guide (Paperback) by American Academy of Professional Coders (Author), et al.  ...

Anybody Else Get The New Style Guide?
Nov 02, 2011

Apparently this one is to be followed along with the BOS2, DQS Standards and Guildelines, and the CP.  I just don't understand why we can't use just one.  Most of the things in it are the same, but others are the opposite of what I've been taught and what the BOS2 says (for example, it is now okay to start a sentence with a number).  They at least explained what qualified verbatim is. ...

100% QA - Mistakes
Mar 06, 2013

Iâve been an MT for 25 years. I consider myself pretty good. I do not consider myself âperfectâ. I never will be. I do make mistakes almost always small ones like leaving a word out. Iâve worked for this new company for over a year now. She is now doing QA to everything I transcribe. Iâve really been doubting my abilities as an MT now and wonder how/why my other clients have used my services for 20 years and not once complained. When you transcribe over 1,700 lines a d ...

SR Mistakes
May 16, 2013

Dictated: He takes Vyvanse SR put: He takes five aunts Dictated: He is going to the Florida Keys SR put: He is going to the floor of the knees I just had to find something to laugh at this week. Happy MT week in advance to all. If I could afford it, I would GIVE you something and not make you pay taxes on it or use your own free time to try and win something not worth playing for. ...

ADT Mistakes
Oct 21, 2014

Now we are going to be put on mgmt if we make a mistake in the ADT because the client is complaining about too many mistakes.  We don't even get paid for doing the ADT in which case I have to manually type patient name, MR # 3 times, DOB, DOS to which I don't get 1 red cent and they are going to put me on mgmt because I made a mistake.  This place just pisses me off so bad.  ...

Mistakes
Dec 09, 2014

How is it they get away with implementing actions against MTs yet never fix the constant mistakes on their part...ie most medications (generic and name brand) are wrong, mispellings in the dictionary, doctors names and specialities are wrong in the system, poor sound quality, there is nothing in place for doctor errors.  I could go on, but everyone knows what this company is about ...

S/l Soluchief Finishing Guide
May 28, 2011

A soluchief finishing guide was used to complete femoral preparation.     ...

O Frank Turner Guide
Jul 07, 2014

In an Op report, hip replacement the term sounds like O-Frank Turner guide.  Can not find this term.  Has anyone heard of this?   "The O-Frank Turner guide was used to check alignment" ...

Just Missed Mistakes
Aug 14, 2010

Have you ever realized that you made a mistake on a report that you just sent?  I wish DQS had a window of time before the report goes to the client that you could go back to it and fix the error.  I would think only 15 minutes would work.  ...

Mistakes Can And Will Happen...for EVERYONE
Feb 11, 2015

or how long you have been doing this.  Nuance uses this to their advantage.  They really don't CARE about the mistakes or quality.  This is a TOOL to keep pay nice and low, plain and simple.  The fair and just way to do this is how it used to be.  First of all, it depends on the DICTATOR reading his own reports when he/she gets them back--(like they are SUPPOSED TO DO) -- If there are mistakes, they are corrected.  Yes, if it was the MTs mistake, they are noti ...

S/l Tornay Guide....ortho Term
Nov 09, 2009

The biceps tendon and all soft tissue overhanging the margins of the glenoid were removed with electrocautery and a pituitary rongeur.  The s/l tornay guide for the glenoid component was used to place the pilot hole.  ...

Cath Note, Guide S/l Kice
Nov 13, 2010

I have heard it several times, never found it.  It s/l kice here, but I have heard kyte and kites and mmm HELP!   Thanks in advance. ...

Godzilla Guide Liner Apparatus
Sep 02, 2013

Sounds like he is saying Godzilla guide liner apparatus, but cannot confirm.  It is for a cardiac report.  Thanks.   ...

Where Do I Find The Transcription Style Guide?
Apr 04, 2015

Thanks for any help. ...

Mistakes In Normal Dictations
Jan 20, 2010

At my company (a smaller one) there are a lot of mistakes in the normal dictations that the doctors request.  The way they are created in the first place is the transcriptionist types up the report and sends it to QA saying the doctor would like to use this in the future for his normal, but I don't think they get reviewed by QA.  I think they just get created the way they are.  So if it was a right eye, the word right is there all the way through it.  If a word is misspe ...

MTs And Unions, And Past Mistakes:
Nov 23, 2010

Regarding all the talk about unions below:        I once had a very good job, and was a very "Happy MT".  I worked inhouse.  I made great money.  I got vacations, 401K, paid sick days, good healthcare, etc.       So one day, while I was happily typing away on my Correcting Selectric, at my great little desk, at my great little job, a union organizer came to visit the department.  The hospital was actually considering ha ...

Fixing Doctors Mistakes
Dec 27, 2011

I am so TIRED of fixing doctors mistakes constantly. I dont get paid for that.  I get paid to pound out reports per hour.  Instead so far today, my first 3 hours have been fixing reports, leaving notes to the hospital....line 10 blank..dr stated..., line 24 blank..dr stated, etc.  These guys have to take some responsibility for their dictation.  They are so messy and haphazard in their dictations.  It would be different if we were getting paid by the hour, I would not ha ...

EditScript Keep Making Mistakes
Aug 11, 2013

I'm pretty new to editing and just wondering..  Why does EditScript keep making mistakes over and over, even with good and clear dictators ( I do have a few of them, though not many)? ES keeps printing "basil ganglia", for example.   Tearing my hair out - not much left now.  :p  Does it ever get any better?   ...

Mistakes Added To Reports By QA?
Oct 31, 2013

When I go into FIESA I see mistakes I cannot believe I have made, they don't make sense to me - like I would have questioned this and/or never typed it.  Anybody else?  TIA! ...

CMT Review Guide Versus Exam Question
Oct 09, 2010

I am going to sit for the CMT in December, and I've been going through the CMT Review Guide. What I am wondering is how indicative of the acutal test is it? Were the questions/dictation samples easier or harder than the actual test? I feel like I have a good handle on the material in the Review Guide, but I don't want to be blindsided in December and totally embarrass myself. TIA! And yes, I am not a big fan of AHDI, but I do get a pay incentive for this, so that makes it worth my t ...

4 Mistakes Out Of 4100 Lines, How Is That Less Than 98% Accuracy?
Jul 09, 2012

Maybe I am not doing the math right, but if someone has 4 mistakes out of 4100 lines, how is that less than 98% accuracy? ...

Any Students In Coding Courses Found Mistakes?
May 21, 2012

I am almost done with a course that was put together by the credentialing organization.  Now that I am almost done, I have gathered my notes on the course inconsistencies and incorrect answers to submit my comments to them so this doesn't happen to the next student.  I would like to hear the coders' and students' thoughts on this. Doesn't someone take the entire course and fix/correct BEFORE it is offered as a course?  ...

Spelling/grammatical Mistakes: English First Language
Feb 23, 2013

I have noticed, when interviewing for certain companies, some obvious spelling and grammatical mistakes in the emails I receive from them. While these companies strive for perfection in accuracy (which includes spelling words right and marking possession with an apostrophe, mind you), sometimes it looks like their emails have been written by ESL employees. It's weird that after speaking with some of these people, their writing skills don't match their speaking skills. Maybe I'm j ...

How To I Remove Duplicated Entry On Fiesa Log Sheet? Tried To Access User Guide But Nothing Happene
Mar 02, 2014

unfortunately, I have to report my daily lines on Fiesa log sheets in order to be paid.   ...

DVT Study
Dec 27, 2011

In a DVT study, "Findings are most suggestive of chronic or past/passed?? clot" Thanks!! ...

Study Should Be Done
Jan 27, 2012

I think if a study were done, findings would show that the tediousness and repetitiveness and intricacy of the editing required for this particular ASR will slowly but surely drive you insane.  I am so nervous, I chew gum like a wild woman (and now need my second crown which I cannot afford), have developed tics and skin picking, and eat voraciously --- due to editing.  Flame away, but I have typed for 25+ years and never had a problem (actually enjoyed my job); however, after 5 or so ...

Coding Study On One's Own
Apr 25, 2010

I'd like to begin studying medical coding on my own to see if it it's a match iin terms of learning and liking the field. I have 30+ years of transcription experience and usually learn fairly quickly. What books/workbooks do you suggest as a start to see if this feels like it will work for me? And for people who have done this on your own, what did you include in a program of study for yourself? Are there some areas that you feel an in-house course is needed?  Replies greatly app ...

Study Hours
Jul 25, 2010

I am looking forward to enrolling in a medical coding class through Andrews School this fall.  I was curious as to how many hours a night or week a student puts in studying.  I work full time, and also have a prn evening job doing transcription in the community that I live.  Those hours are flexible.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

CMT Study Materials?
Sep 01, 2010

Does anyone know of a good study guide/review book for the CMT? ...