A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Any students in coding courses found mistakes? - cjjmt

Posted: May 21, 2012

I am almost done with a course that was put together by the credentialing organization.  Now that I am almost done, I have gathered my notes on the course inconsistencies and incorrect answers to submit my comments to them so this doesn't happen to the next student.  I would like to hear the coders' and students' thoughts on this. Doesn't someone take the entire course and fix/correct BEFORE it is offered as a course? 

Errors - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
There were errors in my coding course too, I'd rather not say the name of the school. I didn't wait until I was finished though; whenever I found an error, I documented it and sent it off immediately, as did others in the program. Sometimes it was necessary in order to get clarification on a coding problem. Many times the errors can't be corrected until the next version of the course is issued/published. If it's important enough, students can be notified by e-mail or through the program's web site.

Oh, that's it, thought I was losing my mind! - cjjmt

[ In Reply To ..]

Oh, I feel so much better!  I have found at least a dozen major mistakes and emailed them  as soon as I came across them.  It would be helpful if they gave us a list of errata ------ before we start the chapter.....now at (almost) the end of the course, I'm stressing more about it. Thanks for your reply. I'll see if can find info on the website about corrections.

Why there are errors - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
All educational material contains errors. It is much more difficult to eliminate them than you would think. Most educators and their staffs do not have the proofreading skills that MTs have.

It is fine to report errors that truly hamper your learning. Errors on tests are in that category. Typos and misspellings or formatting issues are things that you can overlook.

I agree, but - cjjmt

[ In Reply To ..]

I agree with you on typos; I didn't point them out; stint, etracannabinoid, calces, osteomeatal complex.  I was emailing in corrections about

Qualitative vs quantitative, for example, which were incorrect in reading material vs CPT book; that's a major mistake.

I pointed them out because, as you say, "It is fine to report errors that truly hamper your learning."  They were......

Similar Messages:

Coding :: Age Restriction On New Coding Students?
Apr 15, 2014

Anyone know if MM has an age restriction on new coding students? ...

Coding Students
May 19, 2013

I am just wondering if any other coding students sometimes feel so overwhelmed, especially trying to work full time and study. I knew going into this that it wasn't going to be easy. One thing I have learned through all of this is that, yes there is a code for that, but you need to learn how to find it (even if it doesn't make one bit of sense)! :) ...

Question For Coding Students
Jul 17, 2013

I'm looking into different coding programs. A local community college is teaching ICD-10, while Career Step, for example, is teaching ICD-9, but offering a "free ICD-10 FastTrack course to prepare you for the transition to ICD-10." Is it odd that Career Step is still teaching primarily ICD-9? What about Andrews? How are they handling this transition? ...

Andrews Coding Students
Dec 15, 2013

How long did it take you to finish the coding course? Thanks. ...

Coding Students, Does Your Course Require You...
Jan 27, 2014

to buy books with or without answers? Mine requires books w/o answers, which I find odd since there isn't an answer key posted or anything to find out if you've got the right answer. Pretty weird in my opinion.  ...

Online Coding Courses
Aug 07, 2012

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knew of or attended any good acredited online billing and coding schools. Right now we only have one vehicle so I need something that is online and offers financial aid.  My local college does offer it but not online and the classes are at times that I'm working so an online school is what I need. Thanks ...

Just A Note About Coding Courses
Sep 03, 2013

Coding courses do not all teach the same thing.  You need to be very aware of that when deciding on one.  A course that looks like a fantastic bargain will contain less. Some teach only outpatient "office" coding.  That does not require as much medical background or as much coding instruction.   They are shorter and less costly.  The AAPC  courses are outpatient only.  25% of these coders are unable to find jobs, especially without experience. Others teach bo ...

My Dream Job And A Question For Coding Students
Jun 08, 2010

I just found this listing for a coder in my area. I think this is the kind of coder position I want when I: A) enroll in a coding program, B) graduate, C) get certified and D) get enough experience. Here is my question: Are you learning software like what is mentioned below: Vision, Logician and Coding? Or would one probably learn those on the job at entry level? Advertised Position: This position will specialize in Primary Care. Consults with physicians and their practices on Coding protocol ...

Advising The New Coding Students Or Those Searching For Their First Job
Nov 07, 2012

Coders who post on this board need to remind themselves that it is basically for MTs who are networking.    A medical transcriptionist who is a coding student or has become a newly certified coder has now learned in the last couple of days that: 1.      MT experience, other than medical knowledge, means nothing in the coding world.  There IS a big difference between school coding and actual work. 2.      The ...

Getting Unsoliticed Spam From Coding For MTs Courses
Sep 13, 2012

Watch where you leave your name, phone number, and/or e-mail unless you don't mind getting spam e-mail (mostly) and unwelcome phone calls. I don't think you can get them to stop unless you want to get a reply with more pressure to enroll. In the future I will be very careful about putting my e-mail or phone number on anything. All I wanted was to be able to view the information online, no e-mail, no phone calls, no invasion of my privacy. What is this world coming to! Nobody respects t ...

AHIMA-approved Coding Courses
Dec 28, 2012

I was looking at going to Andrews School for medical coding, but many employers want those trained in AHIMA-approved courses, and Andrews is not.  I see that Career Step is, so I may go for that.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!!! ...

Has Anyone Very Successfully Finished Their Coding Courses Only To.....
Dec 02, 2013

Feel that it's not really what you want to do?  I finished my coding course at Andrews and truly don't feel that's what I want to do.  I feel disappointment in myself because I invested that much time in school and did very well, but I feel it's not really the job for me.  I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this or anything similiar? Did you just stick with it until you found a job and did your feelings change?   I kept try ...

Andrews Coding Grads/students: Questions
Feb 03, 2015

Okay, I wrote the previous post, but I have a few more questions. Any help is appreciated. How much does the coding program cost? How long did it take you to complete, full-time or part-time? Did you feel job-ready when you finished the course? Are there any hidden fees for exams, etc.? If you went the Andrews for MT as well, how would you compare the intensity of the two courses?   I did attend Andrews for medical transcription 8 years ago, and I loved the program then. That is why ...

When People Take The 'Shortcut' To Coding Courses, How Do They Reason It?
Sep 15, 2012

I would like to hear from some coding students who took shortcut coding classes about why they chose to do that? It seems purposeless if your goal is to get a job. It also seems entirely worthless if the goal is to become a professonal coder, because they won't be eligible for the credentials test that counts, the CCS.  Did I miss something? ...

100% QA - Mistakes
Mar 06, 2013

Iâve been an MT for 25 years. I consider myself pretty good. I do not consider myself âperfectâ. I never will be. I do make mistakes almost always small ones like leaving a word out. Iâve worked for this new company for over a year now. She is now doing QA to everything I transcribe. Iâve really been doubting my abilities as an MT now and wonder how/why my other clients have used my services for 20 years and not once complained. When you transcribe over 1,700 lines a d ...

SR Mistakes
May 16, 2013

Dictated: He takes Vyvanse SR put: He takes five aunts Dictated: He is going to the Florida Keys SR put: He is going to the floor of the knees I just had to find something to laugh at this week. Happy MT week in advance to all. If I could afford it, I would GIVE you something and not make you pay taxes on it or use your own free time to try and win something not worth playing for. ...

ADT Mistakes
Oct 21, 2014

Now we are going to be put on mgmt if we make a mistake in the ADT because the client is complaining about too many mistakes.  We don't even get paid for doing the ADT in which case I have to manually type patient name, MR # 3 times, DOB, DOS to which I don't get 1 red cent and they are going to put me on mgmt because I made a mistake.  This place just pisses me off so bad.  ...

Mistakes
Dec 09, 2014

How is it they get away with implementing actions against MTs yet never fix the constant mistakes on their part...ie most medications (generic and name brand) are wrong, mispellings in the dictionary, doctors names and specialities are wrong in the system, poor sound quality, there is nothing in place for doctor errors.  I could go on, but everyone knows what this company is about ...

Just Missed Mistakes
Aug 14, 2010

Have you ever realized that you made a mistake on a report that you just sent?  I wish DQS had a window of time before the report goes to the client that you could go back to it and fix the error.  I would think only 15 minutes would work.  ...

Mistakes Can And Will Happen...for EVERYONE
Feb 11, 2015

or how long you have been doing this.  Nuance uses this to their advantage.  They really don't CARE about the mistakes or quality.  This is a TOOL to keep pay nice and low, plain and simple.  The fair and just way to do this is how it used to be.  First of all, it depends on the DICTATOR reading his own reports when he/she gets them back--(like they are SUPPOSED TO DO) -- If there are mistakes, they are corrected.  Yes, if it was the MTs mistake, they are noti ...

Mistakes In Normal Dictations
Jan 20, 2010

At my company (a smaller one) there are a lot of mistakes in the normal dictations that the doctors request.  The way they are created in the first place is the transcriptionist types up the report and sends it to QA saying the doctor would like to use this in the future for his normal, but I don't think they get reviewed by QA.  I think they just get created the way they are.  So if it was a right eye, the word right is there all the way through it.  If a word is misspe ...

MTs And Unions, And Past Mistakes:
Nov 23, 2010

Regarding all the talk about unions below:        I once had a very good job, and was a very "Happy MT".  I worked inhouse.  I made great money.  I got vacations, 401K, paid sick days, good healthcare, etc.       So one day, while I was happily typing away on my Correcting Selectric, at my great little desk, at my great little job, a union organizer came to visit the department.  The hospital was actually considering ha ...

Fixing Doctors Mistakes
Dec 27, 2011

I am so TIRED of fixing doctors mistakes constantly. I dont get paid for that.  I get paid to pound out reports per hour.  Instead so far today, my first 3 hours have been fixing reports, leaving notes to the hospital....line 10 blank..dr stated..., line 24 blank..dr stated, etc.  These guys have to take some responsibility for their dictation.  They are so messy and haphazard in their dictations.  It would be different if we were getting paid by the hour, I would not ha ...

EditScript Keep Making Mistakes
Aug 11, 2013

I'm pretty new to editing and just wondering..  Why does EditScript keep making mistakes over and over, even with good and clear dictators ( I do have a few of them, though not many)? ES keeps printing "basil ganglia", for example.   Tearing my hair out - not much left now.  :p  Does it ever get any better?   ...

Mistakes Added To Reports By QA?
Oct 31, 2013

When I go into FIESA I see mistakes I cannot believe I have made, they don't make sense to me - like I would have questioned this and/or never typed it.  Anybody else?  TIA! ...

4 Mistakes Out Of 4100 Lines, How Is That Less Than 98% Accuracy?
Jul 09, 2012

Maybe I am not doing the math right, but if someone has 4 mistakes out of 4100 lines, how is that less than 98% accuracy? ...

RMT Study Guide - Mistakes In Answer Key
Jan 26, 2013

Hello, I am a fresh graduate from MTEC . I am currently preparing for AHDI's RMT exam. I bought the study bundle which consists of the RMT exam guide and an audio CD. Al in all, I have learned a great deal from the study guide... but... yes, there's always a BUT... While reviewing the entire RMT exam guide, I noticed some blatant mistakes as well as unclear questions. One example is a mixup between "affect" vs. "effect". The RMT study guide's answer key states that "effect" is a ...

Spelling/grammatical Mistakes: English First Language
Feb 23, 2013

I have noticed, when interviewing for certain companies, some obvious spelling and grammatical mistakes in the emails I receive from them. While these companies strive for perfection in accuracy (which includes spelling words right and marking possession with an apostrophe, mind you), sometimes it looks like their emails have been written by ESL employees. It's weird that after speaking with some of these people, their writing skills don't match their speaking skills. Maybe I'm j ...

Any VLC Students Out There?
Dec 22, 2009

Are any other VLC students out there hearing anything from VLC?  (See my earlier post...)  My emails don't seem to be getting through, I can't get hold of them on the phone - just voicemail - and they've not returned the message I left.  Two assignments I sent 9 days ago have not been reviewed.  $1500 for this course was way too much to be left in the air like this, never mind the 18 months of work for nothing!  Their forums are down so I� ...

How Many MT Students Do You Think There Are?
Mar 27, 2011

I know that there are a lot of programs, but does anyone know how many actual students there are or new graduates each year?  Will there be enough jobs to support that many students/new grads or will there not be enough new MTs to fill positions? I am very curious about this as I am considering medical transcription and the information out there is confusing. ...