A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Coding study on one's own - Locust55

Posted: Apr 25, 2010

I'd like to begin studying medical coding on my own to see if it it's a match iin terms of learning and liking the field. I have 30+ years of transcription experience and usually learn fairly quickly.

What books/workbooks do you suggest as a start to see if this feels like it will work for me? And for people who have done this on your own, what did you include in a program of study for yourself? Are there some areas that you feel an in-house course is needed?  Replies greatly appreciated.

Coding study on one's own - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Isn't that a bit like self-taught dentistry?

Learning coding on your own - Locust55

[ In Reply To ..]
Some posters on here that I respect said that is how they learned.

Learning on your own - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
The people who are self taught have a lot of self-discipline and I would think must have had a mentor, coding seems pretty complex. I had started to learn a long time ago when I was an MT in a hospital with the help of their staff and I remember them checking everything I did. Unfortunately I put that on the back burner and pursued transcription instead. Without formal training, it might be more difficult to be hired as a new coder, I think employers look for education these days. I didn't mean to sound sarcastic, I only know it wouldn't work for me. I don't know what books others used when they trained but on the AHIMA web site under "coding basics" there is a list of the books they recommend. Good luck and best wishes.
Lots of great info on this on the MT Stars coding/billing - forum. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

DVT Study
Dec 27, 2011

In a DVT study, "Findings are most suggestive of chronic or past/passed?? clot" Thanks!! ...

Study Should Be Done
Jan 27, 2012

I think if a study were done, findings would show that the tediousness and repetitiveness and intricacy of the editing required for this particular ASR will slowly but surely drive you insane.  I am so nervous, I chew gum like a wild woman (and now need my second crown which I cannot afford), have developed tics and skin picking, and eat voraciously --- due to editing.  Flame away, but I have typed for 25+ years and never had a problem (actually enjoyed my job); however, after 5 or so ...

Study Hours
Jul 25, 2010

I am looking forward to enrolling in a medical coding class through Andrews School this fall.  I was curious as to how many hours a night or week a student puts in studying.  I work full time, and also have a prn evening job doing transcription in the community that I live.  Those hours are flexible.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

CMT Study Materials?
Sep 01, 2010

Does anyone know of a good study guide/review book for the CMT? ...

Shoulder Study
Jan 12, 2011

new to this account.....he says I also performed injection of her tendon sheath of her extensor tendon insertion origin with 1 cc of Lidocaine and 1 cc of Kenalog.  Her ?JMARS? are left 18, 21, and 21 and right 10, 16, 18. ...

Help With An Echo Study
Jul 17, 2012

This is a technically fair study. The left ventricle was normal within its end-diastolic dimension??? ...

SETA Study?
Jul 17, 2012

The patient comes with watery diarrhea and weakness.  He underwent a "SETA" study?  Thanks so much! ...

Study Time
Sep 16, 2012

I  know it varies from person to person, but how many hours per day/week do students estimate they put in for an on-line coding class?  Thanks in advance.  ...

RMT/CMT Study Material
Apr 16, 2013

Anyone have any good sites that have study material?   ...

SPITELY Study?
Jul 15, 2013

Is that correct? ...

S/l Torsion Of The Point On EP Study
Oct 15, 2010

Sentence in EP study:  The patient showed a pattern of (torsion of the point).  The arrythmia was terminated and patient continued in a stable cardiovascular status. ...

Personal Study Area
Dec 23, 2011

I am getting ready to enroll this week with Andrews for medical coding, and am really looking forward to this new challenge and learning opportunity!!  After 30 years as a state employee, I'm actually switching careers. With that being said, I was just interested to find out "where" people like to study in their homes when studying 4-5 hours a night and working assignments.  Do you sit at a desk with the computer in front of you, or do you use the dining room table, a comfortable ...

Possible To Get A Study Guide And Just Take The Tests?
Dec 24, 2011

Is it possible to get a study guide and just take the tests?  Do you really have to go to school? ...

EINSTEIN Study - All CAPs??
Sep 14, 2012

I am transcribing a report for the Einstein trials for a drug.  Everywhere I look, it has EINSTEIN (all caps).  I cannot find anywhere this is an acronym.  Should it be transcribed in all caps? ...

Opinions On Course Of Study And Job Outlook?
Mar 31, 2013

Usual story -- I loved MT, but I'm about to be laid off and know another MT job would probably pay minimum wage (if that!).  I'm lucky, in that I'll get enough unemployment to live on and will probably still have enough savings to pay tuition.  However, I have no preexisting college degree, and both unemployment and tuition money will only stretch to about 5 quarters. I've already passed the CPC exam once, can brush up and pass it again.  My local co ...

Sleep Study Paramater Studied: (s/l) MM8
Feb 18, 2010

On a sleep study/pulmonary somnography report, under the heading "Paramaters Studied" the doctor says "MM8."  Does anyone know if this is correct or should it be MM-VIII or other ?  I can't find anything on this with googling.   Thanks. ...

What Is The Proper Way To Transcribe IMEX Study?
Jul 27, 2010

What is the proper way to transcribe IMEX study?  ...

Additional Study Aids While Going Through School...
Apr 14, 2012

Im looking for additional ways to study for my classes while Im going through the coding course. Im interested in knowing what any of you have used in addition to what the school gives for study aids to help you obtain and keep the knowledge learned. I havent been to school in quite a while and I havent had to retain so much new information or take a test in all that time!!!! Ive heard and read comments about coloring books, laminated guides, crosswords etc. So what did you use and where ca ...

RMT Study Guide - Mistakes In Answer Key
Jan 26, 2013

Hello, I am a fresh graduate from MTEC . I am currently preparing for AHDI's RMT exam. I bought the study bundle which consists of the RMT exam guide and an audio CD. Al in all, I have learned a great deal from the study guide... but... yes, there's always a BUT... While reviewing the entire RMT exam guide, I noticed some blatant mistakes as well as unclear questions. One example is a mixup between "affect" vs. "effect". The RMT study guide's answer key states that "effect" is a ...

CPC Certification Study Guide - Anyone Want To Sell One To Me?
Jul 17, 2013

I would like to buy a copy of this book if anyone could sell me one for a good price?  I can pay through your paypal account.  I have seen some on Amazon but they are expensive and I am hoping to find a better deal.  I don't care what kind of condition it is in, written in, whatever. Thanks :) CPC Certification Study Guide (Paperback) by American Academy of Professional Coders (Author), et al.  ...

Is Self-study Through AAPC An Option To Become A Coder?
Sep 03, 2013

I have 15 years experience as a medical transcriptionist, have an AA degree, took anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, etc., and have taken one non-credit ICD-9 class, and one non-credit medical billing class, both at a local community college. My question is, if I purchase AAPC's study guide and do practice tests (yes, I know it will be very hard and take a LOT of studying), would I be allowed to test without having taken a specific medical coding program?  In other words, is ...

What Are Some Good Study Materials For The CCS Exam?
Aug 18, 2014

I graduated in 2013 and am just now getting around to having the money to take the tests.  I really want to take the CCS first. So, I wondered what are some good books or work books I should get to brush up and practice with? Thank you :) ...

Limited FTC On Myocardial Perfusion Study. Sm
Jan 30, 2015

Any idea what the "FTC" stands for?  It is in the tech's comments section.  Thank you! ...

MT Going Back To School. What Field Of Study Would You Pursue M
Feb 22, 2010

in this day and age?  Because of a chronic illness, being a WAHM MT is perfect for me.  Given the current state of things, I feel I may need to return to school and have a backup plan.  Looking for suggestions, insight, thoughts on what you think might be a good avenue to pursue if you had to choose something that isn't physical (like no nursing) but something our MT background might help with.   Hope this is the right place to ask this! ...

Patient Has Leg Pain; They Want Him To Be In The S/l Dionne Study/Deon? Dee-awn
Oct 07, 2011

xx ...

Folecodiagnosit Study? Henual Addhension Cardiolite Evaluation?
Nov 09, 2009

Ongoing care from an internal medical standpoint should include continued neurological evaluation with folecodiagnositc study, continued psychiatric counseling and possible medication and at least henual addension cardiolite evaluation for myocardial ischemia ...

Dr. Says..An MR Study Is Performed To Rule Out Avascular Necrosis Of The Left Hip
Nov 23, 2009

Does he mean an MRI? ...

S/l BOXA/boxel/voxel??? Plus Study Drug For Ovarian Carcinoma
Dec 15, 2009

thanks ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Today’s Study Is Done To Exclude Polymorphic S/l *cata-colon-anurgic* Ventricular Tachycardi
Mar 14, 2010

SM ...