A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

100% QA - Mistakes - MT20

Posted: Mar 06, 2013

Iâve been an MT for 25 years. I consider myself pretty good. I do not consider myself âperfectâ. I never will be. I do make mistakes almost always small ones like leaving a word out. Iâve worked for this new company for over a year now. She is now doing QA to everything I transcribe. Iâve really been doubting my abilities as an MT now and wonder how/why my other clients have used my services for 20 years and not once complained. When you transcribe over 1,700 lines a day there is not enough time to sit and re-listen to all the voice files and re-read. It just depresses the hell out of me, working for 8 cents/line and having to do this. Iâm getting to the point of not wanting to do this anymore. Anyone else have everything they transcribe QAâd? Are other others who actually sit, re-listen, and re-read everything you transcribe? Just curious.

QA - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
I have made a small mistake here and there and had QA tell me to start going back to re-listen to the entire report. I honestly just can't do that, as the salary is not high enough these days.

Were you told they were doing 100% QA because of your constant errors? I worked for a company once for three years and never left 100% QA. I never even asked them why either, they never mentioned a problem to me, so I just figured they were OCD or something.

I know about how it lowers your self-confidence though, because I recently worked for a small company and the QA person found mistakes in every single report I typed! She just wanted it this way or that way and it changed daily on how she wanted things. She never complained to me or reprimanded me or anything to that effect, my reports were just marked up with her corrections. It got to the point where I was feeling bad about my own abilities and I even told her that if I can't get through a single report without a correction, then maybe I should move on and she should find someone more able. She said no, that it was fine, I "would get it." I still ended up quitting though and the next job I got, no problems with QA whatsoever.

I would talk to them and tell them of your concerns.

I dont even read my QA reports anymore - they're - just meaningless tripe with - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
made-up rules, and as you pointed out, those rules change almost daily - back and forth, back and forth. Ridiculous.

If QA can't take their jobs seriously enough to at least get on the same page, and maybe do a little research, themselves, once in a while, so as to be making actual CORRECTIONS to our work, instead of what I call "INCORRECTIONS", then why should we take it seriously, either?

As the other posters mention, it erodes my self-confidence, self-esteem, my general mood, and my desire to work hard(er). All reading that QA garbage does for me is makes me want to turn off the computer, turn on the TV, and grab a half-gallon of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream to chow down on.

So, I ignore them - deleting the daily QA edicts without ever reading them. I do my OWN QA. I look up grammar questions, spelling, and use whatever "style" garbage actually has some true meaning for patient care, readability, etc. The rest I ignore as well.

I never re-listen. The only time I've EVER done that is when testing. At 3-4 cpl, I'm not getting paid enough to re-listen or to re-read. I run a spell check, give it a glance for paragraph spacing irregularities, and then hit "send".

As for research, I have a 60-second rule: If I can't find it in 60 seconds, it gets a blank. Time is money. Even at only 3 cpl.

What really irks me no end - P

[ In Reply To ..]
We are MTers are expected to be so, so perfect and yet look what we are working with now days. I also am being QA'd endlessly, every time I work and I like you have innumerable years doing this. The dictators do not care how they dictate, what it sounds like and yet the person sitting there transcribing/editing is held 100% responsible. I do not relisten, reread ever. We are supposed to be churning out the work. I hate to see QA in my email, just hate it.

Oh I know! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This doctor that I have transcribed for recently cannot pronounce a medication to save his life! Really now, if you can't pronounce it, then you shouldn't be able to prescribe it, but anyway!

He will say...."She is on Baaaabbb ummmmm baaaallll, ummm babidkdisleidj or something like that" All of the time! I mean, come on, that doesn't even resemble a medication name! If you can't pronounce it at LEAST extend me the common courtesy to spell it. Even if he spells it wrong, I have a lot better chance of finding the correct medication than I do with him blabbing out his pre-school idea of what it sounds like! It makes me so mad, it's like he KNOWS I'm sitting here typing what he says, have some consideration for me! I don't get paid to Google every combination of what he may have been trying to say, then cross-referencing milligrams and conditions to see if I am in the ballpark of it.

Just my rant, lol.

Some will argue you do get paid to Google that - but girlfriend, I am with you on this one! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:o)
Agree. When paid hourly, will Google all day and - find info. Production pay...60 seconds
[ In Reply To ..]
As a poster said above - time is money. If I can't find it quickly, it gets blanked.

Doctors who can't pronouce this stuff and don't spell it make me CRAZY insane mad. Seriously. They get blanks every time. Jerks.

I have about 20 some odd years as well and - QA amazes me with their made up rules (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
especially to do with grammar and sentence structure, commas, etc. They seemt to make it all up as they go along.

I don't know what the answer is other than the fact that I personally think QA is highly overrated and they do this to MTs for job security and like to feel superior. They don't want to help you. It feels like they want to make someone's life miserable for no particular reason other than to pat themselves on the back or something. It makes no sense to me. Most QA are just MTs anyway and I don't know why when the get this title they feel so empowered.

Sorry you're going through this but, unfortunately, it seems to be the nature of the beast and someone somewhere is making a living at it for whatever reason. Cost effectiveness is in question with this "beating the dead horse QA'ing" in my opinion.

I think American MT will disappear entirely within a - couple yrs, then QAs will also be jobless.

[ In Reply To ..]
The whole transcription mess seems to be building to a head, doesn't it? I just feel strongly that something big is about to give. I personally can't wait.

I get that same random, no-rhyme-or-reason 100% QA sentence myself, usually about 2 or 3 times a year. If I'm really that crappy of an MT (with 38 years' experience - uh huh -) then why don't they cut their "losses" and fire me? Is it because I would make close to twice what I'm currently earning if I were on unemployment? Probably, and they'd have to shell it out.

I wish a plague and swarms of locusts on these evil companies, and the horned individuals who run them.

-Meerkat

100% QA - Mistakes - MT20 - Never right

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with every single one of you. I don't know where they get their QA people and if they need meetings a little more often because one person will say one thing and then I'll get marked off for doing it the way the boss says to do it.

What I think is so strange is that it is always the same companies listing for work on here. Where did the new ones go or aren't there any? They pay us as little as possible when I could be making a fortune working in house. Unfortunately I can't due to health problems and they act like they are doing us a huge favor by paying us 8 cents a line?

The other thing that is just a joke I think is this Speech Recognition and they want to pay 3 cents a line when you have to go through and retype the whole report anyways. It is so frustrating and I have been doing this for over 20 years and to think that even $250.00 bi weekly helps out is so sad.

Good luck everyone. I'm looking for something now to keep me busy because my son just committed suicide and I have to have something to keep my mind occupied. Good Luck and God Bless all....

I'm so sorry - MT20

[ In Reply To ..]
about your son. I pray that you will be given all that you need to get you through all of your pain.

QA - Clementine

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so sorry about your son. My son attempted it once. God bless you and get you through this difficult time.

this is my experience with being placed on 100% QA... - bansheeMT

[ In Reply To ..]
(it is a cautionary tale)

you can always insist on an evaluation (in writing) as to the job you are doing just in case, because I found out this particular company did that to people to whom they wanted to eventually weed out or get rid of. they would keep you on 100% indef with excuses, just gathering up justification to use for future firing (or even just to get people to quit). That was also confirmed in confidence by someone to me.

this was a bad company, though, and they were very underhanded in many ways.

This is just what I have thought bansheeMT - MT20

[ In Reply To ..]
myself. I figured they either were going to let me go or get me to quit. This is a small company with two ICs. The owner is the one who QTs.

not to say for sure, but it certainly is a 'red flag' - bansheeMT

[ In Reply To ..]
in my case, I just had a 'feeling' I had somehow fallen out of favor with a supervisor, for whatever reason (you know how you can kind of tell something isn't right?). Then finally I was told I needed to be on 100% QA indef for some lame reason, of course after having an average of 98% quality every month for years (by different QA people each time) and having raises and good evaluations as well! In the end, the job was such a living he#% (and believe me, I was TOUGH and took a LOT of crap) and when the axe came by then I was so relieved, I actually sat and cried tears of joy!

Later I was told in confidence by someone that my QA was NOT why I was let go - [edited to clarify - although it was told to me it was, and it was what I was being threatened with] and that there was another reason; and I never found out what it was nor do I now care. But I was hounded and harrassed so viciously - my guess, trying to make me quit, but I refused.

So it can be a trick of management to use if they so choose, for whatever their motives.

Sometimes I wonder, if healthcare is allowed to be federally regulated and money is no longer the motivation behind it, but rather the incentives are switched to better care and more efficiency, will MT ever come back in some way? I wanted to hang on to see but honestly I have pretty much walked away from it now and it feels like a blessing in so many ways.

I emphathize with all the MTs who come to this board with complaints because I know more often than not they are legit and true.

Not saying this is what is happening to you, but I say go with your gut feelings and keep doing your best no matter what. You know you are doing a good job - and 100% quality is impossible, period. We are not machines, just like doctors are not, nor is QA or even managers. If someone is trying to demand 100% quality on you, then something is not right.

Best regards,
yes that is happening right now - and I am in fear of losing
[ In Reply To ..]
losing the job, little it may be.
in that case, sometimes no matter what you do - bansheeMT
[ In Reply To ..]
it will play out however they want it. when I finally had enough and confronted outright my issues and asked where it was headed, it wasn't even 5 minutes later I was axed. For you, can you hang on until either they fire you or it passes? Then grab unemp?

Now imagine - SharingWhine

[ In Reply To ..]
How would you feel doing that SAME job for 1/2 the pay you get now?

Welcome to VR -- most of us are going through that daily. We feel your pain, but be thankful you have an 8-cents-per-line job, because VR is far worse.

Irked at 8, 4, 10, just uncalled for - P

[ In Reply To ..]
I answered and 99% of mine is VR. When I made really big bucks for doing this, did not have the constant QAing like now. I donât care what the pay is, makes no sense to micromanage when others need some kind of responsibility for the cra.... we have to put up with.

I just pretty much ignore QA, audits, etc. - I figure they hired me, and if

[ In Reply To ..]
if now after 30 plus years in this gawd awful piece of _____ job I am suddenly incompetent, they can fire me and I'll collect unemployment. I would actually welcome that.

It Could Be... - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
...that your acount is on full QA and all reports on those accounts get full QA'd.

I used to be in a QA Dept and did make some little changes on MTs reports when they were full QA, but heck, sometimes we just feel we're punching up the report for the client. Don't be getting all upset when QA makes little changes.

As to your comment about "missing a word" sometimes, that can actually be huge. Patient has heart disease versus patient has no heart disease.

If I were you, I'd ask why all your reports are now being full QA'd. And don't get all bent out of shape for constructive criticism.

100% QA - telluride

[ In Reply To ..]
Hello: That's a load of crap. Don't question yourself. I have 35 years experience and the same thing is happening to me for a small company I am working for, having never in 35 years happened before. There is obviously something else going on, like they are looking for an excuse to get rid of you. I hate to hear when seasoned transcriptionists begin to question their abilities!

Maybe we're working for the same company nm - MT24

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe we're working for the same company nm

Similar Messages:

SR Mistakes
May 16, 2013

Dictated: He takes Vyvanse SR put: He takes five aunts Dictated: He is going to the Florida Keys SR put: He is going to the floor of the knees I just had to find something to laugh at this week. Happy MT week in advance to all. If I could afford it, I would GIVE you something and not make you pay taxes on it or use your own free time to try and win something not worth playing for. ...

ADT Mistakes
Oct 21, 2014

Now we are going to be put on mgmt if we make a mistake in the ADT because the client is complaining about too many mistakes.  We don't even get paid for doing the ADT in which case I have to manually type patient name, MR # 3 times, DOB, DOS to which I don't get 1 red cent and they are going to put me on mgmt because I made a mistake.  This place just pisses me off so bad.  ...

Mistakes
Dec 09, 2014

How is it they get away with implementing actions against MTs yet never fix the constant mistakes on their part...ie most medications (generic and name brand) are wrong, mispellings in the dictionary, doctors names and specialities are wrong in the system, poor sound quality, there is nothing in place for doctor errors.  I could go on, but everyone knows what this company is about ...

Just Missed Mistakes
Aug 14, 2010

Have you ever realized that you made a mistake on a report that you just sent?  I wish DQS had a window of time before the report goes to the client that you could go back to it and fix the error.  I would think only 15 minutes would work.  ...

Mistakes Can And Will Happen...for EVERYONE
Feb 11, 2015

or how long you have been doing this.  Nuance uses this to their advantage.  They really don't CARE about the mistakes or quality.  This is a TOOL to keep pay nice and low, plain and simple.  The fair and just way to do this is how it used to be.  First of all, it depends on the DICTATOR reading his own reports when he/she gets them back--(like they are SUPPOSED TO DO) -- If there are mistakes, they are corrected.  Yes, if it was the MTs mistake, they are noti ...

Mistakes In Normal Dictations
Jan 20, 2010

At my company (a smaller one) there are a lot of mistakes in the normal dictations that the doctors request.  The way they are created in the first place is the transcriptionist types up the report and sends it to QA saying the doctor would like to use this in the future for his normal, but I don't think they get reviewed by QA.  I think they just get created the way they are.  So if it was a right eye, the word right is there all the way through it.  If a word is misspe ...

MTs And Unions, And Past Mistakes:
Nov 23, 2010

Regarding all the talk about unions below:        I once had a very good job, and was a very "Happy MT".  I worked inhouse.  I made great money.  I got vacations, 401K, paid sick days, good healthcare, etc.       So one day, while I was happily typing away on my Correcting Selectric, at my great little desk, at my great little job, a union organizer came to visit the department.  The hospital was actually considering ha ...

Fixing Doctors Mistakes
Dec 27, 2011

I am so TIRED of fixing doctors mistakes constantly. I dont get paid for that.  I get paid to pound out reports per hour.  Instead so far today, my first 3 hours have been fixing reports, leaving notes to the hospital....line 10 blank..dr stated..., line 24 blank..dr stated, etc.  These guys have to take some responsibility for their dictation.  They are so messy and haphazard in their dictations.  It would be different if we were getting paid by the hour, I would not ha ...

EditScript Keep Making Mistakes
Aug 11, 2013

I'm pretty new to editing and just wondering..  Why does EditScript keep making mistakes over and over, even with good and clear dictators ( I do have a few of them, though not many)? ES keeps printing "basil ganglia", for example.   Tearing my hair out - not much left now.  :p  Does it ever get any better?   ...

Mistakes Added To Reports By QA?
Oct 31, 2013

When I go into FIESA I see mistakes I cannot believe I have made, they don't make sense to me - like I would have questioned this and/or never typed it.  Anybody else?  TIA! ...

4 Mistakes Out Of 4100 Lines, How Is That Less Than 98% Accuracy?
Jul 09, 2012

Maybe I am not doing the math right, but if someone has 4 mistakes out of 4100 lines, how is that less than 98% accuracy? ...

RMT Study Guide - Mistakes In Answer Key
Jan 26, 2013

Hello, I am a fresh graduate from MTEC . I am currently preparing for AHDI's RMT exam. I bought the study bundle which consists of the RMT exam guide and an audio CD. Al in all, I have learned a great deal from the study guide... but... yes, there's always a BUT... While reviewing the entire RMT exam guide, I noticed some blatant mistakes as well as unclear questions. One example is a mixup between "affect" vs. "effect". The RMT study guide's answer key states that "effect" is a ...

Any Students In Coding Courses Found Mistakes?
May 21, 2012

I am almost done with a course that was put together by the credentialing organization.  Now that I am almost done, I have gathered my notes on the course inconsistencies and incorrect answers to submit my comments to them so this doesn't happen to the next student.  I would like to hear the coders' and students' thoughts on this. Doesn't someone take the entire course and fix/correct BEFORE it is offered as a course?  ...

Spelling/grammatical Mistakes: English First Language
Feb 23, 2013

I have noticed, when interviewing for certain companies, some obvious spelling and grammatical mistakes in the emails I receive from them. While these companies strive for perfection in accuracy (which includes spelling words right and marking possession with an apostrophe, mind you), sometimes it looks like their emails have been written by ESL employees. It's weird that after speaking with some of these people, their writing skills don't match their speaking skills. Maybe I'm j ...