A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Possible Cooperatively-Owned MTSO - enigma

Posted: Jan 09, 2013

What if a bunch of us extremely experienced, practically-out-of-work-at-the-present-time transcriptionists created our own MTSO, cooperatively owned by all of us, and DONE RIGHT? Just an idea. No need to be greedy, emphasis on keeping that sensitive information at home, and, most of all, quality and accuracy. We are all looking bad these days because MT pays NOTHING any more, so the positions are filled by people who have no idea what they're doing. It just isn't right.

I am just having an idea here. I don't think it's totally impossible, though...

ya gonna trust this bunch of MTs - not me

[ In Reply To ..]
I think any one of them could ruin your livelihood in no time.

I trust MTs as much as I trust MTSOs.

wow... - uncalled for

[ In Reply To ..]
there are some very experienced, quality driven, knowledgeable MTs that frequent this board and I find it rude and insulting that you would even suggest such a thing!

to the OP, the cooperative MTSO has been brought up and discussed here in the past, but many think it is not possible...no need to not kick it around again though. keep thinking! :-)

I don't think it was uncalled for - dejavu

[ In Reply To ..]
It is the truth. The single biggest reason this has never gotten off the ground is because of lack of trust. Someone doesn't want to accept someone else's suggestion of how to do things, wants it done there way instead because they trust themselves more than someone else...and the wheel keeps spinning and nothing gets done.

This is why it won't work ... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Because if someone offers an opinion that differs from your own or the norm for this board, then it is "uncalled for" or shouted down.
I only stated - "uncalled for"
[ In Reply To ..]
because the poster who was talking about not trusting any MTs on this board I felt was rude and insulting to the MTs on this board. I was not saying "uncalled for" to the OP who posted a suggestion of a cooperative MTSO, which I think is a good idea... don't start putting words in my words, either and read the posts carefully before jumping to conclusions. I still think the not trusting of any MTs on this site was rude and uncalled for. There are some really great MTs on this site...and then there are others who should not have forgotten to take their meds this morning and definitely need counseling, and anger management courses.
ok, so you can say that some need meds, counseling and - anger management, but
[ In Reply To ..]
I cant say that I wouldn't trust them?

I think your comments are RUDE AND UNCALLED FOR. YOU ARE THE INSULTING ONE!

And this poster is precisely why no one should TRUST all MTs on this board.
please don't feed that troll - dejavu
[ In Reply To ..]
Obviously that person only wants to stir up trouble. Have a blessed day!
I think the troll here is the one - that said "ya gonna...
[ In Reply To ..]
trust this bunch of MTs on this site...not me.

THATs the troll.
No, she got it right. - uncalled for is the troll
[ In Reply To ..]
You saying that some MTs need medication and counseling is totally uncalled for. You need help. This is why "ya gonna" is saying NOT TO TRUST MTs.

First of all.... - me

[ In Reply To ..]
You would have to raise a significant amount of start-up capital, including monies for legal setup of corporation or whatever, dictation systems, TASPs (transcription application service providers), phone lines (including 800 numbers), staff for hiring/training/recruiting, marketing/advertisements, website, IT, bank account for such business, payroll, insurance, accounting, etc., and figure out office locations, etc. That is just the beginning. Financing for startup? You would have to figure out how much each person would need to put in and a ROI. Clients: How would you split this up and profit/expenses of each? Setup expenses: Some clients have a very simple setup while others can cost a small fortune, and you might not see a return on your investment for several years. Funding: It is very difficult to obtain financing for a new business, even the Small Business Association or banks. If only a certain amount of MTs are bringing in the clients, how would you divide any profits? Things to ponder...

you think? sm - enigma

[ In Reply To ..]
I really think all that is not quite as necessary as you seem to think. Just because that's "the way it's been done up to now" doesn't mean that's the ONLY way. Unless you've actually looked into it. This is coming at the idea from the old paradigm, the one that is NOT WORKING, if you hadn't noticed.

p.s. s/m - enigma

[ In Reply To ..]
The idea of cooperative business ownership has been gaining ground recently. I'll try to find some links after work.

What is involved in an MT business... - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I definitely know what is involved in at least a small MTSO. There are also a lot more expenses and work in obtaining, setting up clients, and keeping them than most people think.

I would be interested in info...sm - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I have access to plenty of clients but am limited on how much I can work and expensive setups.... Having to turn down lucrative work, work that would offset some of my overhead now, as I am set up to take on a lot more but disabled. There are only so many hours in a day.

this is not what the OP asked for - IMHO

[ In Reply To ..]
I think the OP is talking about MTs who have their own clients working together to help each other. For example, if the OP poster needs off for maternity leave, there would be others in the cooperative to fill in while she can't work. Or if I have the flu for a week, someone would reciprocate for me. Or if I have a client who refers me to an associate and my hands are full, I would like to have someone to hand that client to, maybe for a referral fee or a percentage of the income for a year, or something like that.

As an IC, I already have my system set up, a very simple system. I am able to set up anyone using the same system for very little investment (less than $100). If I felt I could trust someone not to steal my clients, I would be open to the idea. But I'm paranoid.

I think Fist of also.... - me has taken things over the top and blown it out of proportion.

no, she stated creating an MTSO.... - me

[ In Reply To ..]
She states creating an MTSO, so...what you are describing is along the lines of networking.
I can just program in dictators without cost, but if you are speaking of setting up large enough clients to provice everybody with work, let me tell you... some clients, especially surgery centers and hospitals, can be a very large setup and very expensive, just now paying off. I have several as well as several office clients. I already have what you described above--called networking. It sounds as though the OP was stating creating an MTSO for those who have no work.

Yes, then you have to be able to trust them with your clients.....

I think it sounds great - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it is a great idea. Who better to run a MTSO than MT's that know what they are doing. Good thinking!! I would do it in a heartbeat.

I've wondered about this myself before - Aussiemate

[ In Reply To ..]
I have sometimes wondered about something along these lines myself. I work part time for a company and have a couple of my own clients as well but work mostly via email. I'd like to get some sort of server going, but can't justify that kind of cost as I work currently, so would love to set up something where maybe we share "cloud-type space" but not information about each other's clients and then once I felt more confident about the other MT/MTs then would perhaps ask for and provide backup for each other's holidays etc.

Nice in theory, at the very least.

Similar Messages:

Is DSG Owned By MQ?
Jan 07, 2011

Is DSG owned by MQ? New employee, thought I was leaving the Q... DSG uses DocQScribe, and I notice when I log in it still says MQ. Also if there are problems with DQS, we are told to contact MQ? How is it that DSG has MQ work when MQ MT's are out of work? ...

How Long Has MQ Been OS Owned?
Dec 23, 2010

x ...

Owned By TransTech
Mar 07, 2014

Obviously we highly-skilled MTs were used as collateral in this "merger, " which I see as an acquisition since we are expected to submit our personal information to iMedX.  I really feel betrayed.  I am out of here.  Nobody owns me!!! ...

Being Owned By An Indian Company
Mar 17, 2013

After reading about that poor Swiss woman who was vacationing in India with her husband and being gang raped by 8 men, does anyone else's skin crawl just knowing we work for a company owned by India and their total disregard for women ?? ...

MModal-owned Computers
Nov 23, 2013

What happens in April 2014 when Microsoft ends their support of XP? Will MModal send us a new computer? ...

OSI Transcription Is Owned By Another Company
Dec 20, 2013

Can someone tell me if OSI Transcription is owned by another company (Like Nuance or Precyse)  or are they on their own?  Any info on this company?? ...

Is Focus Infomatics Indian Owned?
Jun 13, 2011

nm ...

American Owned MT Companys?? Any Left??
Oct 27, 2011

Does anyone have a list of American owned MT companys??...or have all of them gone to connections with India.  I would like to work for an American Owned Company---any suggestions??? ...

This Board Is Owned And Registered In Pakistan?
Aug 20, 2013

I just followed some post on this board to a woman who has a medical transcription blog.  She has followed the domains all the way back to 2002 and claims that this board is now owned and registered to someone in Pakistan and she has copies of the documents showing it right there on the site.  Very interesting.  Link below http://www.mtexchange.com/medical-transcription-exchange/who-owns-mtstars-com/ ...

Medquist Is Owned By CBay, Based In India
Oct 28, 2009

Well this explains why all our work is disappearing to India.  Medquist sold out to CBay, which operates out of India.  Anyone know of any USA companies that are hiring?  This is just outrageous and disgusting.  http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=103x365279 ...

Best Equipment/Software For Independently Owned MT Business
May 09, 2012

I have an opportunity to do transcription independently for a physician.  Does anyone know what the best equipment and software would be to do this?  I've always worked for a company and have no clue where to begin.  Thanks! ...

Poll: Is Your Work PC Your Own Personal PC Or Company-owned?
Jul 17, 2012

Click Like for yes, it is company-owned (and covered if it crashes, i.e., money does not have to come out of your pocket)   Click Dislike for no, it is your own personal PC (and not covered if it crashes, you get no money to cover it and have to shell out $500 for a new PC). ...

My New MTSO
Oct 04, 2010

Hi, I hope this is the right forum to post this on. I have a few questions pertaining to my new MTSO business. Any input or advice would be helpful. First of all, I need help with pricing. I charge my clients .12 per 65 character line. I believe that is the going rate for my area. I am wondering what to pay my transcriptionists and editors. I originally thought to pay my transcriptionists .08 per 65 character line and my editors .04 per 65 character line but then I wouldn't be making any pr ...

MTSO?
Oct 24, 2010

Hello Everyone, I have just recently found this board and I have a couple of questions.  I don't know where else to post it, so I hope I've put this on the right forum. What does MTSO mean? Why is there a Medquist specific forum on this board?  Is this site operated by Medquist? Just curious. ...

Does Your MTSO Tell You This And Do You Believe Them?
Mar 31, 2011

"You are a valued team member and we want you to be as successful as possible." ...

MTSO
Jul 19, 2011

If I owned a MTSO company, and if I were monitoring this board in order to glean comments made about my company, and if I were unhappy with what I read, I would do the following:  I would send a company-wide e-mail to my people asking for their input on what I could do to make things better for them and correct the problems aired on this board.   I would realize that there are companies that would make life difficult for MTs who dare to complain about an injustice and that they ne ...

New MTSO
Apr 24, 2013

Simply put...I need help.  I am a single mother.  I am a CMT and been in this lousy business over 20 years.  I have been job hunting out of this business almost a year now with no bites.  I had a dream job but was bought out by M Modal.  I went from abundant work to none on a daily basis.  I am truly struggling.  I know people who work for great companies keep it to themselves, for the fear of over hiring and no work.  I am truly asking for help in seeking ...

Been Qa At Many MTSO. Have Never Had Anyone Tell Me
May 14, 2013

tied to qa, N qa wouldnt have to be told how to edit either. ...

QT MTSO
Mar 23, 2014

Just wanted everyone to know that that owned QT might be around again, so please stay clear of this company. There are bad news and have a pretty awful history of burning accounts and MTs. Not the most ideal company or couple for that matter. LOL ...

MTSO Rates
Nov 23, 2009

Do you think the MTSOs cut their rates to their clients who are now using VR just as they have cut their MTs rates?  Seems that some MTSOs are scrambling for some reason to cut everyone's pay down (even their MT pay, not just ME pay).  I wonder if they are in over their heads with this new venture into VR and losing their arses and realizing it isn't quite the godsend everyone is making it out to be.  One can hope, and would serve them right! As far as MTSO rates are co ...

Nonpayment By An MTSO
Jan 03, 2010

How does one go about collecting money from a small MTSO who still owes me $1,049 for transcription I had done for them?  I quit working for them in May 2009 when I hadn't received payment.  I sent them several e-mails and they did pay me some of the money owed me.  Originally they owed me $2,049; paid me with one check for $500, then two more checks for $200 each, which were sent to me every few months in between.  They kept telling me they would pay me off the com ...

How Much Do You Think The MTSO Makes
Mar 20, 2010

If they are paying 8 CPL how much are they getting paid per line? Any general ideas? ...

10 Suggestions For All MTSO's:
Mar 24, 2010

To all MTSO's:1. Show us the money. You make tons of it. We know it. You know it. Try paying us more of it, and cheating us out of less of it.2. Simplify your transcription platforms. Every time you "improve" them, for some STRANGE reason, it gets harder and harder to do a day's work on them. Some software salesman has sure taken advantage of whoever in your company buys transcription software. Please. Develop some sales resistance.3. Let MTs working on a primary account STAY on that a ...

Caring MTSO
Apr 15, 2010

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I'm curious to know if there are any MTSOs out there who you guys feel really and truly care about their MTs and not just the bottom line? I understand that business is business but it seems to me that if you have happy MTs then you have productive MTs, willing to accommodate and go above and beyond for the company, which in turn makes the retention rate of quality MTs high because they are happy.  They get to know the ...

MT Week And MTSO's
May 19, 2010

The little "trinkets" some of you have received is extremely comical and a so-called slap in the face to some, but some may view it as an actual good gesture, although I do not agree. When I worked at neurology they used to always acknowledge MT week with flowers or a $25 gift card to our local mall, but when they got a new office manager he combined Secretary's Week and MT Week into one. My coworker and I got acknowledged one year on Secretary's Week - now that is a slap in the face ...

MTSO And Platform
Aug 18, 2010

Can someone tell me what MTSO and platforms are? I am obviously a newbie and don't know what these terms mean.  Thanks for your help in advance. ...

Question For MTSO's
Sep 06, 2010

My question is regarding what you consider to be a fair split when contracting an IC. I have been approached about adding accounts and will need help from one or two IC's to accomplish everything. Can you share what you feel is a reasonable split? 50/50, higher, lower? I want to be fair but I also need to cover my costs as well. If you prefer, you may contact me privately by email quiet_type at hotmail dot com. Thank you. ...

Went To My MD Today And They Have No MTSO Or MTs?
Dec 18, 2010

It seems whenever I go to the doctor we get to talking about my profession, mainly because I am speak to them on their level (with medical terms, etc) because they are amazed that I am so informed. Anyhow, today when the RN was checking me in on their Epic system, she said they use strictly voice recognition (VR) and use "Dragon" (which I know nothing about) but I have seen posts on this board about it.  I told her that I was an MT editor actually for the VR, not so much transcribing anymo ...

Hey MTSO, Just Stop ...
Feb 14, 2011

assigning me the garbage work just because you "think" I can do it.  Had to vent, really sick of it!  Between the ESLs and the stuff where people say things that do not make sense I am really getting fed up!  Sorry, had to vent.  I know you read this and I know you know who is this. ...

What Does MTSO Stand For?
Mar 07, 2011

What does MTSO stand for? ...