A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Best Equipment/Software for Independently Owned MT Business - JT

Posted: May 09, 2012

I have an opportunity to do transcription independently for a physician.  Does anyone know what the best equipment and software would be to do this?  I've always worked for a company and have no clue where to begin.  Thanks!

Equipment - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
If it is just one physician, then he can purchase a digital recorder or you can use a low-price dictation system leasing the lines or "cloud" dictation. They charge a set up for each physician logging in and is relatively low cost. Then, you would need a foot pedal and software to play the digital files to transcribe and an FTP folder to send in your work and if using a digital recorder another FTP folder for the physician to upload his dictation in. There is a free program called Express Scribe. I use DigiScribe. You would need to invest in a good sound card and audio-enhancing software (I use SoundBlaster with Media Toolbox 6). Good luck.

Similar Messages:

Equipment/Software
Nov 08, 2012

Ok, so against my better judgement, I have accepted a position with Nuance for PT work.  I say that only because after reading all of the "bad" reviews I am a little nervous about it.  But, I am willing to see how it goes.  So paperwork is done and turned in and today I received a Kit with footpedal, headset, software including Stedman's spellcheck, medical dictionary, Quick Look drug book.  FOr those in the know, are these items paid for by myself at some point or is th ...

Is Sylvan Software Out Of Business? (SylCount)
Jan 02, 2015

I can't find their web site. I need to buy one of their programs I used to use on my old XP. My XP program isn't working with Windows 7. TIA ...

Is DSG Owned By MQ?
Jan 07, 2011

Is DSG owned by MQ? New employee, thought I was leaving the Q... DSG uses DocQScribe, and I notice when I log in it still says MQ. Also if there are problems with DQS, we are told to contact MQ? How is it that DSG has MQ work when MQ MT's are out of work? ...

How Long Has MQ Been OS Owned?
Dec 23, 2010

x ...

Owned By TransTech
Mar 07, 2014

Obviously we highly-skilled MTs were used as collateral in this "merger, " which I see as an acquisition since we are expected to submit our personal information to iMedX.  I really feel betrayed.  I am out of here.  Nobody owns me!!! ...

Possible Cooperatively-Owned MTSO
Jan 09, 2013

What if a bunch of us extremely experienced, practically-out-of-work-at-the-present-time transcriptionists created our own MTSO, cooperatively owned by all of us, and DONE RIGHT? Just an idea. No need to be greedy, emphasis on keeping that sensitive information at home, and, most of all, quality and accuracy. We are all looking bad these days because MT pays NOTHING any more, so the positions are filled by people who have no idea what they're doing. It just isn't right. I am just havi ...

Being Owned By An Indian Company
Mar 17, 2013

After reading about that poor Swiss woman who was vacationing in India with her husband and being gang raped by 8 men, does anyone else's skin crawl just knowing we work for a company owned by India and their total disregard for women ?? ...

MModal-owned Computers
Nov 23, 2013

What happens in April 2014 when Microsoft ends their support of XP? Will MModal send us a new computer? ...

OSI Transcription Is Owned By Another Company
Dec 20, 2013

Can someone tell me if OSI Transcription is owned by another company (Like Nuance or Precyse)  or are they on their own?  Any info on this company?? ...

Is Focus Infomatics Indian Owned?
Jun 13, 2011

nm ...

American Owned MT Companys?? Any Left??
Oct 27, 2011

Does anyone have a list of American owned MT companys??...or have all of them gone to connections with India.  I would like to work for an American Owned Company---any suggestions??? ...

This Board Is Owned And Registered In Pakistan?
Aug 20, 2013

I just followed some post on this board to a woman who has a medical transcription blog.  She has followed the domains all the way back to 2002 and claims that this board is now owned and registered to someone in Pakistan and she has copies of the documents showing it right there on the site.  Very interesting.  Link below http://www.mtexchange.com/medical-transcription-exchange/who-owns-mtstars-com/ ...

Medquist Is Owned By CBay, Based In India
Oct 28, 2009

Well this explains why all our work is disappearing to India.  Medquist sold out to CBay, which operates out of India.  Anyone know of any USA companies that are hiring?  This is just outrageous and disgusting.  http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=103x365279 ...

Poll: Is Your Work PC Your Own Personal PC Or Company-owned?
Jul 17, 2012

Click Like for yes, it is company-owned (and covered if it crashes, i.e., money does not have to come out of your pocket)   Click Dislike for no, it is your own personal PC (and not covered if it crashes, you get no money to cover it and have to shell out $500 for a new PC). ...

Do You Have To Use MQ's Equipment Or Will They Let You Use Your Own.
Nov 16, 2009

nm ...

Mt Equipment
Apr 13, 2011

I have been doing outpatient surgery reports for a small hospital for four years.  They are outsourcing with a company that does voice recognition.  The ophthalmologist has talked to the OR manager and wants to use me for some other transcription (the hospital pays for what he does there).  I need to know the cheapest and best route to go since I only have computers, printers, and an Infinity foot pedal, as well as two transcribers that use microcassette tapes.  In order to p ...

All This Equipment We Have To Buy
Feb 16, 2014

why do they keep gouging us for this crap even though it should be painfully obvious to anyone with half a brain that your average MT has hardly any money for it? Amphion had told me that my workstation was not up to snuff, and after they specified what I needed, they told me *where to buy it*. I ended up sinking almost 300 bucks into it. Then, after working there for a couple weeks, they micromanaged me intensely, and after a performance review where I missed the mark by probably about a fra ...

Trouble With MQ Regarding Equipment
Oct 12, 2009

Hi everyone. I am having trouble with MQ regarding equipment and I'm hoping someone could maybe help me out here. I used to work for MQ and had returned my equipment after leaving. I was re-hired a few months later, but used my own equipment, therefore, never took anything back or received anything from them again. The returned equipment was returned over a year ago and I no longer have the receipt from UPS, as I never heard anything and had no reason to think there was a problem. Any ...

Retuning Equipment
Nov 16, 2009

How soon after terminating from the Q, do they send you the necessary labels to return computer and monitor?   Thank you. ...

Medical Equipment
Nov 16, 2009

The patient should be on a s/l wearing program for his brace and s/l prayfolus.  Patient with flexion at the hips and knees and possible contractures. ...

Transcription Equipment
Nov 20, 2009

Hello.  I am looking for advice on equipment.  I need, well, almost everything,  I need a playback program, I don't like express scribe.  I am willing to spend money, I don't have a lot, but I want something good.  It doesn't have to be the best, but user friendly would be nice.  I also need a footpedal.  I have heard they are all the same, but I would like further input to the statement.  And, I must have a good pair of head phones.  ...

Company Equipment
Apr 29, 2010

Do you know of any companies who provide the equipment for MTs who work at home, such as the foot pedal and the headsets? ...

Returning Equipment To MQ
Apr 29, 2010

Recently resigned from MQ and received the mailing labels to ship back their computer and monitor.  However, per the letter, they don't require that you return the mouse, keyboard, and any other peripherals.  It doesn't say you will be charged for them -- it just says they want the computer and monitor. Has anyone left MQ and kept the keyboard and mouse?     ...

Equipment Meltdown - Help!
Aug 13, 2010

My headphones died on me right in the middle of a report - (ESL, lousy sound quality - great timing).  Suddenly I was hearing out of my right ear only.  In desperation I plugged in my iPod earbuds.  I need new headphones ASAP.  Any suggestions as to where I can find a decent pair, not too expensive?  I had been using the headset that I received when I took my Career Step course a couple of years ago.  Thanks! ...

ADVISE ON EQUIPMENT
Sep 17, 2010

Hello, Can someone please tell me the best digital transcription machine to buy. I really do not know anything about digital transcribers. I am used to the cassette transcriber. Also, I heard there was a way to have a 1-800 number and the doctor can call that number and do the dictation over voicemail. Does that require any other software or equipment. I am not familiar with any of this. I guess I just really need to know the different ways I can do transcription. Thanks ...

Post-op Equipment
Oct 16, 2010

after Roux-En-Y surg, pt put on s/l "Inspire-X"  Heard of it?  THANKS ...

Question About Equipment
Feb 14, 2011

equipment was delivered today.  It's all unboxed and hooked up.  there were no instructions about the CD that came with it or whether it was okay to turn it on and make sure it would boot up before training day.  Is it okay to do this, or do I need to wait until Monday's training? ...

MQ Equipment Versus My Own
Mar 01, 2011

I will be starting MQ soon too, and I was asked by MQ if I wanted to use my own equipment or theirs.  At the time, I told them theirs, but on thinking about it, I don't know how to connect a router and KVM box, if that's what's required.  Should I just use my own computer?  Any suggestions? ...

Stenoscriptionist--same As MT With Different Equipment?
May 28, 2011

Hey there all! Some community colleges offers a certificate program for Medical Stenoscriptionists, "Preparing medical records and reports using a stenograph machine" per 1 class catalog. Not finding a lot of info on it, just schools that office courses/certificates. Apparently the production of reports is similar to court reporting. Could this be the future for EHR, or is it the same as MT'g? Any opinions welcome. ...

Equipment Failure
Aug 20, 2011

Does the Q reimburse for equipment failure downtime or will I have to request PTO time for reimbursement?  Thanks... ...