A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MTSO and platform - new gal

Posted: Aug 18, 2010

Can someone tell me what MTSO and platforms are? I am obviously a newbie and don't know what these terms mean.  Thanks for your help in advance.

mtso - what I think

[ In Reply To ..]
Did they not discuss this at all in your school for MT training? Where did you get your training? What was your percentage on your final test?

MTSO - medical transcription service organization - national companies that have several hospitals they have contracts with to get the transcription done

platform - the type of transcription program they use to get the job done - some do VR (voice recognition), straight typing

What I'm wondering... - no1joe

[ In Reply To ..]
is WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU??!? Someone comes on here, states that they are new, posts a perfectly reasonable question, and you have to jump down their throat and drill them on what their final grade was? That was rude, and comments like that do nothing but scare new people off this site. You should cut it out.

For the original poster, I feel bad that someone responded to you in such an obnoxious way. However, you just got a lesson on being thick skinned which doesn't hurt in this line of work! You'll get answers like this one, but notice that she did eventually answer your question correctly. That's sometimes the way it works. The MTs on here are happy to answer questions if we have the time, even if some may be a little cranky about it.

Good luck to you : )

what I think - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 20 years as a full time MT and had never even heard of an MTSO until I discovered this board.

I never went to an MT "school", either. I have very refined language skills and huge aptitude with science and medicine.

The MTSO is not the be all and end all of medical transcription, and MT training, for what it's worth, cannot imbue someone with thinking or comprehension skills that they do not already possess.

Me too... - mtmtmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I went on an interview with 10+ years of experience, and they asked what platforms I had used, and I had no idea what they were talking about. I mumbled some nonsense, I'm sure. I got the job, though!

THANK YOU! - same boat

[ In Reply To ..]
I also am an experienced full time transcriptionist, working in-house. I seem to never know what people are talking about on here. I had no idea what MTSO stood for. I did go to school for transciption. I do well at my job and I know what I need to know to get the job done the right way. Some people on here act like they are way better than others....geessh!

A less snarky reply... - NewGradToo

[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps you are just researching this field? Anyway, it's no one's business re your school and grades! That same poster is putting that on everyone's post in the new MT section, even if it has nothing to do with whatever the question was. Preoccupied with who went where and what their grades were.

Anyway, the Book of Style for Medical Transcription (aka "BOS3" as you will see on this site) has a nice industry abbreviations list in the back. You might want to order this invaluable reference book from AHDI's web site at ahdionline.org.

Best of luck to you and don't worry about some of the negative and sharp people on this board. They aren't supposed to be harsh on newbies but somehow get away with it by just being inappropriately nosy. LOL

Similar Messages:

Is Webmedx The Only MTSO With The Enterprise Platform?
Sep 26, 2010

nm ...

My New MTSO
Oct 04, 2010

Hi, I hope this is the right forum to post this on. I have a few questions pertaining to my new MTSO business. Any input or advice would be helpful. First of all, I need help with pricing. I charge my clients .12 per 65 character line. I believe that is the going rate for my area. I am wondering what to pay my transcriptionists and editors. I originally thought to pay my transcriptionists .08 per 65 character line and my editors .04 per 65 character line but then I wouldn't be making any pr ...

MTSO?
Oct 24, 2010

Hello Everyone, I have just recently found this board and I have a couple of questions.  I don't know where else to post it, so I hope I've put this on the right forum. What does MTSO mean? Why is there a Medquist specific forum on this board?  Is this site operated by Medquist? Just curious. ...

Does Your MTSO Tell You This And Do You Believe Them?
Mar 31, 2011

"You are a valued team member and we want you to be as successful as possible." ...

MTSO
Jul 19, 2011

If I owned a MTSO company, and if I were monitoring this board in order to glean comments made about my company, and if I were unhappy with what I read, I would do the following:  I would send a company-wide e-mail to my people asking for their input on what I could do to make things better for them and correct the problems aired on this board.   I would realize that there are companies that would make life difficult for MTs who dare to complain about an injustice and that they ne ...

New MTSO
Apr 24, 2013

Simply put...I need help.  I am a single mother.  I am a CMT and been in this lousy business over 20 years.  I have been job hunting out of this business almost a year now with no bites.  I had a dream job but was bought out by M Modal.  I went from abundant work to none on a daily basis.  I am truly struggling.  I know people who work for great companies keep it to themselves, for the fear of over hiring and no work.  I am truly asking for help in seeking ...

Been Qa At Many MTSO. Have Never Had Anyone Tell Me
May 14, 2013

tied to qa, N qa wouldnt have to be told how to edit either. ...

QT MTSO
Mar 23, 2014

Just wanted everyone to know that that owned QT might be around again, so please stay clear of this company. There are bad news and have a pretty awful history of burning accounts and MTs. Not the most ideal company or couple for that matter. LOL ...

MTSO Rates
Nov 23, 2009

Do you think the MTSOs cut their rates to their clients who are now using VR just as they have cut their MTs rates?  Seems that some MTSOs are scrambling for some reason to cut everyone's pay down (even their MT pay, not just ME pay).  I wonder if they are in over their heads with this new venture into VR and losing their arses and realizing it isn't quite the godsend everyone is making it out to be.  One can hope, and would serve them right! As far as MTSO rates are co ...

Nonpayment By An MTSO
Jan 03, 2010

How does one go about collecting money from a small MTSO who still owes me $1,049 for transcription I had done for them?  I quit working for them in May 2009 when I hadn't received payment.  I sent them several e-mails and they did pay me some of the money owed me.  Originally they owed me $2,049; paid me with one check for $500, then two more checks for $200 each, which were sent to me every few months in between.  They kept telling me they would pay me off the com ...

How Much Do You Think The MTSO Makes
Mar 20, 2010

If they are paying 8 CPL how much are they getting paid per line? Any general ideas? ...

10 Suggestions For All MTSO's:
Mar 24, 2010

To all MTSO's:1. Show us the money. You make tons of it. We know it. You know it. Try paying us more of it, and cheating us out of less of it.2. Simplify your transcription platforms. Every time you "improve" them, for some STRANGE reason, it gets harder and harder to do a day's work on them. Some software salesman has sure taken advantage of whoever in your company buys transcription software. Please. Develop some sales resistance.3. Let MTs working on a primary account STAY on that a ...

Caring MTSO
Apr 15, 2010

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I'm curious to know if there are any MTSOs out there who you guys feel really and truly care about their MTs and not just the bottom line? I understand that business is business but it seems to me that if you have happy MTs then you have productive MTs, willing to accommodate and go above and beyond for the company, which in turn makes the retention rate of quality MTs high because they are happy.  They get to know the ...

MT Week And MTSO's
May 19, 2010

The little "trinkets" some of you have received is extremely comical and a so-called slap in the face to some, but some may view it as an actual good gesture, although I do not agree. When I worked at neurology they used to always acknowledge MT week with flowers or a $25 gift card to our local mall, but when they got a new office manager he combined Secretary's Week and MT Week into one. My coworker and I got acknowledged one year on Secretary's Week - now that is a slap in the face ...

Question For MTSO's
Sep 06, 2010

My question is regarding what you consider to be a fair split when contracting an IC. I have been approached about adding accounts and will need help from one or two IC's to accomplish everything. Can you share what you feel is a reasonable split? 50/50, higher, lower? I want to be fair but I also need to cover my costs as well. If you prefer, you may contact me privately by email quiet_type at hotmail dot com. Thank you. ...

Went To My MD Today And They Have No MTSO Or MTs?
Dec 18, 2010

It seems whenever I go to the doctor we get to talking about my profession, mainly because I am speak to them on their level (with medical terms, etc) because they are amazed that I am so informed. Anyhow, today when the RN was checking me in on their Epic system, she said they use strictly voice recognition (VR) and use "Dragon" (which I know nothing about) but I have seen posts on this board about it.  I told her that I was an MT editor actually for the VR, not so much transcribing anymo ...

Hey MTSO, Just Stop ...
Feb 14, 2011

assigning me the garbage work just because you "think" I can do it.  Had to vent, really sick of it!  Between the ESLs and the stuff where people say things that do not make sense I am really getting fed up!  Sorry, had to vent.  I know you read this and I know you know who is this. ...

What Does MTSO Stand For?
Mar 07, 2011

What does MTSO stand for? ...

MTSO's - Is This The Best I Can Expect?
Apr 05, 2011

After 20 years of hospital-based HIM transcription, they gave us away to Medquist.  I feel set up for failure by not getting consistent hospital accounts and never having a chance to learn a specific account.  Communication with management is - absent - unless they want something from you.  I also find the pay and line count methodology to be deplorable, to say the least.  I have VR experience, but find that Medquist just turns on literally EVERYTHING to VR, and most of it re ...

MT Versus MTSO
May 09, 2011

I have not been on this board in a few years but I can see a definite turn against medical transcriptionists.  The MTSO's have created a vulture type of attitude that has been passed down among many new transcriptionists in the business. I see the MTs being blamed for whining, complaining and for trying to voice their concerns about being treated badly by ROMs or team leaders or management in general. One statement is truly correct - MTSOs are in it for the money. That being said, let& ...

Working For More Than 1 MTSO
Jun 05, 2011

Does anyone work for more than 1 MTSO.  Will an MTSO consider an application if you already work for another one?  I would like to apply for a second part-time position to supplement my full-time income (or lack thereof) but am not quite sure if they would even consider me. ...

Here It Is, MTSO's: If You Don't Like The Bad Comments,
Jul 19, 2011

nm ...

MTSO Owners Or ICs
Aug 18, 2011

Taking a shot in the dark.  If you are working directly for a doctor how did you get started? ...

Other MTSO's And Keystrokes
Oct 16, 2011

Why is it when it comes down to Keystrokes, no one is to make any comments regarding the lack of work?  Get real people, Keystrokes doesn't have enough work in Radiology and I just heard from another person none of her calls or e-mails are being answered either.    ...

Applied For A QCE Job At An MTSO
Jan 06, 2012

I applied to a big MTSO as a quality control editor, editing already speech-recognized transcription, an hourly job, but they didn't tell me the wage until after the test that included the following:   SKILLS ASSESSMENT TEST SPECIFICSScreening:1) Spelling – Multiple Choice – 5-10 Questions2) Spelling – Fill in the Blanks – 5-10 Questions* 3) Sentences – Multiple Choice – 5-10 Questions4) Grammar/Usage – Choose Words – 5-10 Questions ...

I Really Think My MTSO Wants Us To All Quit
Feb 03, 2012

Is every MTSO in this field rotten, and do they really hate us? Does it bring them money to get people to quit and then rehire all the time? I am sure it is true.  I got a really high, close to perfect score on my QA all the time.  I type well above the standards.  I even went to part time so they would not have to pay me benefits and work all weekend every weekend to make sure I have work. Now again a hiring spree and even Friday  no work, except of course I get the worst ...

Question About MTSO's
Feb 05, 2012

If my team leader and never answers my questions anymore, doesn't tell me what's going on, and I can't get into my DA player now because it says client disconnected (yet I can get into the server itself), and the help desk doesn't call me back, could that mean I'm fired or something?  And is that legal to just not talk to me anymore if I'm an employee?  I guess I have to call Human Resources on Monday, but can the team leader just stop talking to you and f ...

HEY MTSO - GET A CLUE.
Mar 21, 2012

We all know you don't give a rat's ass but here it goes;  Pay us a decent wage for BOTH typing and editing with decent benefits.  At least 8 cpl both both instead of that crappy 4 cpl for editing.  With a decent wage, your employees would be happier.  They'd quit bitchin about your company.  They'd quit hopping from company to company.   They'd work harder at producing.  They'd turn out quality reports, not having to worry ab ...

RE: MTSO No Pay List
Jun 22, 2012

Perhaps they should require that MTSOs to keep an escrow account with at least one month's payroll intact. I keep hearing these horror stories of MTs not getting paid, what's going on out there? ...

MTSO's And Advertising
Jul 11, 2012

Why do these companies continue to keep job postings for open positions up if the position is already filled? Tired of testing just to be told that the position is filled. Is it that hard to take the ad down? ...