A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

All talk about lawsuits cause of VR crap in jobs. But does anyone - have solid evidence that has happened? SM

Posted: Sep 01, 2012

I havent seen any real evidence of a lawsuit brought on by bad VR (is there any other kind?)  I dont think anyone even cares enough to bring a lawsuit.

No lawsuits - Inquiring minds

[ In Reply To ..]
No lawsuits to my knowledge but Medicare has withheld reimbursement in some cases because there were too many errors.

Interesting. They obviously dont do that enough. Certainly not - enought for it to make a difference. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:( $$

No lawsuits-Inquiring minds - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
That is very true. My friend is a compliance officer and said that it is considered FRAUD when mistakes are made and payment is then withheld. Doesn't seem to be hitting the hospitals hard enough to care. Again, they are just interested in the money they save by cutting down on Full-time personnel! Sad!

Money is the bottom line for everything. Health care, education, g'ment - manufactureing etc. Everyone wants SM

[ In Reply To ..]
to get as much $ as they can for themselves. Too bad for everyone else, let me get mine first, THEN you can get yours. Greed is killing this country. Heck, it is killing our world.

That is not accurate - Compliance here, too

[ In Reply To ..]
The statements that you and Inquiring Minds made that errors lead to withheld payments and that they are fraud are no correct. I hear what you are saying, but you seem to be misinterpreting things in the context of MT issues, resulting in erroneous beliefs and statements.

I also think your compliance friend was correct in what she told you, but you rephrased it in repeating it here, so that it is now misleading.

The problem stems from a difference between what MTs call an error, i.e., bad VR, spelling and grammar errors, mistyped words, incorrect dosages, and what Medicare or insurers call errors. Medicare errors that result in denial of payment are things like incorrect entries on a claim, not in the doctor's note. For instance, some services cannot be performed in certain places of service. Brain surgery will not be paid if the claim says it was performed in a doctor's office. Hospital admissions for conditions that do not require hospitalization will not be paid.

Other "errors" include incorrect use of codes, like using two procedure codes that cannot be used together, or using a diagnosis code that does not justify performing the procedure.

When MTs here talk about "errors," they are talking about THEIR types of errors and about things that annoy them.

Medicare and insurers are not concerned with typos and bad grammar or incorrect drug names because they do not even see them most of the time. They see the electronic claim. In the event they do see the documentation, they look for CONTENT, not MT errors. Auditors do not fault MT errors- they look to see that the content of the documentation justified what was coded.

When MTs hear error they think about the errors they get dinged for by QA. That is not the kind of error that affects payment. It is definitey NOT fraud.

Also, errors in coding are not fraud. Fraud is intentional and criminal. It is an intentional attempt to deceive, to obtain payment that was not warranted. Coding errors can result in incorrect or undeserved payment, but errors are unintentional. They are considered to be "abuse," not fraud.
Thanks for explaining this. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Didn't say they were fraud - see message - Inquiring minds
[ In Reply To ..]
I said I experienced a situation first hand where Medcare payments were withheld because of errors, I didn't say MT errors. Thanks for clarifying.
The entire discussion had been about VR errors. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It is a little misleading to come in on a thread about VR errors with a comment about some other kind o errors without making it clear that you were talking about something else, don't you think?

You did not say it was first-hand experience, either.

You did not say fraud, but Anon did. If you will read her post correctly you will see that Compliance referred to both of your posts.
Would you say it is accurate to say, then, that nobody but us gives a rip - about this stuff? long message/thought
[ In Reply To ..]
If insurers don't really care about the quality of the wording, writing, etc., i.e. transcription style, then who besides us does? Some doctors complain bitterly about style issues, but then they are part of an overall clueless and inconsiderate bunch anyway. They catch themselves in a dictation error and chuckle at themselves while remaining completely clueless to the fact that, for every error they chuckle at themselves over, they miss a dozen, and if the transcriptionist doesn't catch and correct them, their butt(s) could be in a boat load of hurt, not to mention the problems the patient could experience as a result of the inaccurate health care documentation that came out of their doctors' mouths.

My point is and always has been that, if no one else but us cares about grammatic and style accuracy, why do we as a profession continue to beat ourselves up over this stuff. Style books have been written, paychecks docked, jobs terminated, etc., all because we are trying to present a superior-appearing product and service to people who ultimately don't give a rip one way or the other if it doesn't impact the bottom line. Sure, "they" complain about style issues to some extent, but only so as to assert their authority or personal preference. It makes the whole thing a joke because basically no one cares about this stuff but us, and the joke is, therefore, on us.

When I say no one cares, I say that in the sense of caring for the sake of being correct. We care about doing it right. Doctors only care about having it (the transcription) their way and getting it (the dictation) over with, and don't try and confuse them with the facts. Medical records personnel seem to only care to the extent that their personal preferences are followed, and don't try and confuse them with the facts, either.

These are legal documents and should reflect that level of importance in their grammatic and formatted presentation, and they should definitely read like someone with at least a highschool education wrote them. Alas, nobody cares. Why? Because it doesn't add to the bottom line.

My point is, if everyone else is happy with the current approach, then we should stop beating each other up over this stuff and just start transcribing exactly what the doctor says and not fix anything. If he/she said it, he/she gets it. I personally think doctors deserve the impression such an approach would leave of them and their profession over time. Of course, the patients would ultimately be the ones that suffer, but at this point I tend to feel like if their own doctors don't give a rip then why should we? If they don't feel it important to handle health care documentation in a professional and accurate manner, then why does that continue to be our montra? Perhaps it is time to set industry pride aside for the moment in an effort to promote industry survival.

End result of our failing as a profession to organize and lobby for doing things according to a set standard that applies across the board to everyone regardless of personal preference is obvious - transcription industry disintegration. AAMT failed us miserably because, once again, their focus seemingly was also "the bottom line," making that organization and whatever name they now choose to go by a waste of skin and our time. They actually could play a key role in turning our industry around, but there wouldn't be any money in it for them on the front end, so I wouldn't hold my breath when it comes to counting on their support. They are bought and paid for at this point.

We could still try and organize, and if successful we could definitely redirect what seems to be the inevitable course our profession is currently doomed to. If it's truly all about the bottom line, then realize we have complete control over that, too. Do we not collectively realize that? If we don't produce these reports, no one gets paid, including the MTSO's and CEO's as well as the doctors and the institutions they work for. So, if that's all everyone is interested in, then that is where they should all be impacted. "You wanna' get paid, then you need this dictation transcribed. You want me to transcribe it, then this is the way it's going to be. And don't tell me you have any other preferable/viable alternatives to turn to if I don't play ball, because if you did you would be doing that already on a much larger scale than is currently being utilized." Can't have that kind of attitude and control without being organized, though, and yet the response to the idea of organizing continues to be negative and nonsupportive. Just look at the responses to the recent post about unionizing. Collectively, we seem to have resigned ourselves to the notion that it is too late, and yet that is definitely not the case. The leverage that we have had all along as a profession is still in place, and as long as it exists, our ability to determine our own futures rests squarely in our hands. Only if you don't understand what that leverage is do you conclude it is too late to act.

The key to applying that leverage is organization, and the only way I know of to do that is through unionizing. We don't have to unionize on a national level, people. It can be done on a company-by-company basis governed by a national standard, which laws are basically already in place. We don't have to reinvent the wheel. Laws already exist that could be used to force companies to make employee lists available for unionization purposes. But no one will take this step if they are not assurred of having the support they will need to give the idea collective and fair consideration in their specific place of employment. It's not too late, but the clock is definitely not ticking backwards. My suggestion is either support a given idea or offer an alternative or keep silent so as to keep the "it can't be done" thoughts to ourselves.

Unionizing has been brought up many times, always with the same negative, nonsupportive response. However, our only hope as a profession, I believe, is through organization. If anyone has a better idea of how to collectively organize or what we can do alternatively to take control of our own profession, then now would be a good time to make that idea known. We're burnin' daylight.
Besides being too long, in skimming it, there are too many issues - to correct. But one I noted SM
[ In Reply To ..]
you said if nobody cares about quality, just type what you hear. But that would lose you your job. MTSO doesnt want to pay for good reports but they cannot let crap through on the off chance that new Records manager at the facility decides to check a few reports.
Yep, just skimmed it all right. Word "hear" doesn't occur anywhere in my post. Also - you missed it!
[ In Reply To ..]
Shouldn't just skim and then presume to comment so as to correct or refute or discourage. Point is organization. All of the "issues" can be addressed in that fashion. Are you another one who is suggesting we just roll over and die, or do you actually have a better idea?
Didnt want to address all the issues, just that one. Do what you - want, I will retire before too much longer. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Nobody gives a rip but us?? Heck, most of us dont give a - rip any more. Not for 3-4 cpl. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
c

Insurance companies always settle out of court - if possible. In this case,

[ In Reply To ..]
just what's happening, I don't know. Long ago I worked for years in commercial liability insurance, and if a SR goof results in serious injury to a patient (the technical term is "proximate cause") everyone involved with that mistake is at fault for the injury. However, many laws have been passed since then limiting our right to seek redress of grievance. Just how large a factor this is beats me, but it has to be huge.

Note that when it comes to putting a dollar amount on settlements, most patients are elderly, and their lives and disability on an economic basis have much, much less value than, say, a young parent and wage earner. Plus, many laws limit or bar altogether patients' ability to sue for special damages, like for turning their lives into a nightmare of intractable pain.

BTW, medical errors may be as high as the 8th leading cause of death in this country. Even with these "necessary" limits on lawsuits, shouldn't we be hearing of hospitals being shut down and insurance companies being driven out of business by the payments resulting from this stunning level of negligence? Even, gasp, new efforts to restore patients' rights to sue for redress of grievances?

"Hello, my name is Susan. I'll be your nurse today. May I interest anyone in our latest strain of VRE today?"

Commercial liability/medical insurance 2 different things. MTs - are not responsible for errors. Dr. is. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

You mis-read rather completely. Practitioners' malpractice insurance - IS commercial liability insurance. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Insurance post seemed to imply MT can be sued. Drs only - are responsible for errors. Not MTs. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

But the medical errors causing harm are not typos. - Your reports have nothing to do with it

[ In Reply To ..]
MT errors and VR errors have nothing to do with the "medical errors" causing harm to patients!

They are talking about medication administration errors, wrongful surgery, neglect, errors in ordering, and errors in medical judgement.

What you type has absolutely nothing to do with that.

What kind of lawsuit do you think should be filed? - Wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously, what kind of lawsuit could be filed over VR errors?

You don't file a lawsuit if you dislike the work someone does . . . you just fire them and find someone else.

I think MTs have an exaggerated impression of the effect their documents have on medical care. They seem to think that a misspelled drug name or formatting error will cause harm to a patient, but they don't seem to realize that there is no way they could.

Your reports are not the only things in a medical record. The orders, daily progress notes, and the rest of the record are what people follow.

Your reports arrive too late to be relied upon and nobody is so stupid that they cannot make out what you transcribe even if it contains some errors.

Perfection is nice for its own sake, not because patient care will suffer.

VR is good enough and that is why your pay is dropping.

Which is exactly why E&O insurance for MTs is - a big scam (NM)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

A Reason Not To Complain About Crap (hard) Jobs
Dec 29, 2009

Don't you get it...these cannot be done by ILPs or by machine alone.  In 3-4 yrs these so-called crap jobs will be the ONLY reason a few MTs will even be needed; all else will be totally automated, and even ILPs will not be required, unless they learn to do crap jobs. Learn to live with it or train for something else.  It's just the writing on the wall.  Don't bash me, I don't love it, I'm just being realistic.  I'll do them because I'm n ...

Speaking Of Lawsuits
Aug 24, 2012

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/illinois/ilndce/1:2012cv05571/271621/   Found this on a Google search.  Is this old news?  It doesn't seem as though you can get any information about it anywhere. ...

Speaking Of Lawsuits, What Happened To The One That
Jun 18, 2011

nm ...

Waiting For The Lawsuits To Start
Sep 28, 2012

I'm no longer an MT, but I wanted to share this with everyone to maybe brighten someone's day.  I was talking to a client the other day who is being treated for cancer.  We got to visiting and I told her I used to be a transcriptionist.  She mentioned she obtained copies of her medical record and it was full of mistakes!  Wrong meds, incorrect anatomy, etc.  Apparently the doc tried to blame an MT.  Come to find out an MT had never typed, seen, or edited t ...

Precyse Lawsuits? Someone Mentioned "wait
Nov 28, 2012

until the lawsuits hit."  What lawsuits?  I'd love to get in on one of them..... ...

Class Action Lawsuits Against VR Cancers Would Start To Turn The Tide....
Jul 04, 2012

Many continue spinning their wheels in misdirected anger at the MTSOs who are the secondary byproducts/bottom feeders of the much larger metastatic VR software giants currently monopolizing this industry. Start hacking at the heads of the snakes & the tide will start to turn for MTs.  This below was posted on another thread and the first suggestion is spot on.    4cpl - Roda Posted: Jul 3rd, 2012 - 1:00 pm In Reply to: The abuse won't stop - Until we ...

I Cannot Believe This Crap, It's Like They Had Not One MT
Oct 03, 2012

before they sprang it on us..and why?? It's not a program for MTs..it's a database and billing program.THAT is the primary reason for this.  So far I have not utilized the quick report look up ONE time..and as for google..I already had my google browser opened at the ready.  I cannot capitalize first words in new sentence  in paragraph.  and yet my toggle is on.  but at the start of a new paragraph your space bar does not work.  I cannot easily look up r ...

I Don't Know How Old This Is But Holy Crap!
Apr 16, 2012

The US Department of Justice has confirmed that it is conducting an antitrust investigation of Nuance Communications. The investigation is looking at Nuance's acquisition of Philips Speech Recognition Systems from Royal Philips Electronics for $96.1 million in October 2008. There has been concern since the purchase that Nuance has essentially taken control of the world's medical transcription market. Nuance's acquisitions, which have sometimes been preceded by submitting target co ...

I Can Barely Sit Here And Do This VR Crap.
Jun 26, 2012

I have been at this for nearly 3 hours now.  I am so close to just walking.  I have never hated a job as much as I hate this one.  Last pay period, 80 hours, I made $8.51/hour.  Unfricken believable.  After 20 years of making twice that.  Time for another Xanax, seriously. ...

ABOUT THIS MONITORING CRAP
Jun 30, 2012

About this monitoring crap.  Why aren't the docs monitored?  Why do we have to change our ways and they don't have to.  On ASR there are a couple of docs who dictate in the "wrong order" and I have to move everything around, cut and paste, do the caps thing, etc.  Almost all of them dictate in the order of the standard headers.  Some of these dictators change their mind 2-3 times in the same sentence not to mention they change their mind and you do not kno ...

Holy Crap, I Can't Believe What I Just Did....
Jul 05, 2013

I quit!! Nicely, but said today was my last and I was moving on with my career choices.  bah!!!  Just waiting for my first day at Amphion. ...

Fiesa CRAP
Nov 19, 2013

I just love all these minor errors of missing an - "of" or "a" at 0.25.  This does not change the meaning of the sentence, and I bet if you put them in when they are NOT there, you would get marked off for that too.  This is crap, especially if you have a small report and it all adds up, knocking your score down.  I have been doing this for 25 years and have never seen anything so petty.  Especially now with Voice Rec, how would they like it if we weren't here and they w ...

Crap! I Received A Virus.
Jun 01, 2010

So, I am working on MQ computer and wanted to ask a question on MTstars and before you know it, a virus started downloading.  I freaked out and tried to stop the virus from scanning.  I got out of MTstars and tried to get out of report I was on and nothing, my computer froze.  I turned off computer and waited for 10 minutes, got back on and I cannot get into DocQscribe or Schedulesource because a warning window pops up stating I have a virus.  I cannot even get into Schedule ...

Oh Crap, Group Transcription, Now What?
May 05, 2011

My company just told me they were trying to bring on some projects where there would be multiple people speaking, like in a conference/meeting, about healthcare. They said they wanted me to transcribe it and to include time stamps every 5 minutes. How do you keep track of who is speaking? Sometimes trying to keep up with 1 mubbling doctor is hard enough, but now 5+ people? Is there some program or something I can get that will automatically put in timestamps, or am I going to have to keep lookin ...

Gee....glad Someone Likes This VR Crap.
Jun 29, 2012

"Richard Gwinn, MD, director of urgent care at Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Group in San Diego sings voice recognition's praises: "It took me less than one-half hour from the time I first opened Dragon Medical to the time I was using it. It’s been a life changing application. I go home earlier. I don’t have stacks of charts on my desk and the swelling has gone down in my fingers (from typing).” This was taken off Nuance's FB page. ...

Venting On Crap Dictators
Jul 12, 2014

I am so sick of logging on in the morning and getting the same crap dictator day after day after day.  With his mmmmmmmmmmmmah before every other word (like he's trying to think of what to say), saying "next paragraph, next paragraph, next paragraph" and he has no idea whatsoever of where a new paragraph should start, and saying "period, period, period" like I don't know where a period should go, is it any wonder I'm going nuts in this job?  I won't even mentio ...

HEENT/HENT Crap
Jan 08, 2015

When I requested reversal over getting gigged on this I spelled my thoughts out pretty thoroughly but don't know how far up the chain of holiness that goes.  Has anyone else shot off their opinions on this?  Hoping if we get enough of us to make an issue they might reverse this idiotic ruling.   ...

FedEx In Hot Water Because Of IC Status Crap!
Oct 21, 2009

I was laughing my butt off reading the news this morning because FedEx is in exactly the same kind of trouble that a lot of these MT companies should be in.  They have been classifying their drivers as IC status to "save money."   Sound like a familiar tactic?  Here's the article I cut and pasted: Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 @04:01pm CDT   (New York, NY) -- Attorneys general from three states will file suit against FedEx for alleged labor laws violations. Officials fr ...

You Guys Need To Cut The Crap. If There Is No Work Consistently
Nov 17, 2009

I've been in this business 30 plus years.  When my company dries up for whatever reason, or if I find myself unproductive.  I pack my grip and move on. Stop complaining if you're planning on staying there.  Get up off your behinds and search, research, put out applications, take the tests that are required.  Do I like going to the MTTEST site for every other company?  No, but I do it if that is the requirement.  Go ahead and flame on. ...

OrgPublisher?? We Dont Want This Crap. We Want Higher
Aug 27, 2012

grrrrr ...

Can't Get This STUPID ComAgent Crap Off My Computer.
Aug 12, 2013

and gives an error "cannot open uninstall.log".  I contacted "AltN" company that makes this ridiculous piece of crap and they sent me some solution of creating an unstall text document and that didn't work either.  I  want everything to do with Nuance OFF my computer.  Grrrrrrrrrr ...

QA Is So Confusing With All That Color Coded Crap
May 17, 2014

when you click on an error,  I would logically have assumed that would take you to the spot where the error is in the text.   Nope.  It may,  maybe,  go to the spot in the voice job, but not in the text. How in the world does anyone learn from their mistakes here????  This color-coded crap is way too confusing, the screen in Emdat is way too small to see anything properly, and I have a laundry list of other complaints but that would take too long to print here ...

Pooling Nothing But Crap Dictators For 3 Hours Now!!!
Apr 18, 2015

You know, never mind that they hose your line count.....to top it off, they are NOT on the QC exclusion list!  I asked last week what happens if they are a crap dictator or have crappy audio but they are not on the list.  My message got forwarded to some dark underlord some place; I've never heard back. My solution - roll the dice.  I refuse to send something to QC for issues that are outside of my control!  8 cents is better than 7, right?  I either send them back ...

QA Talk
May 03, 2011

Over my many years in this industry, I have worked with tons of QA folks.  I was also one of them.  Most of them were great.  Also always wondered why everything does not go thru QA.  They QA all kinds of products in other industries like food products, toys, cars, etcetera.  ...

For Anyone To Come On Here And Talk About
Mar 20, 2014

yet unrealized position is just plain unprofessional. What reaction did you really expect? What was the purpose? Right now you have a piece of paper and a promise. Why not wait out the 6 months and then 2 long Mmodal years and then come back and share your journey of a lifetime. Don't forget, they once sold VR as the ticket to tripling your wages. Now that that train has run off the tracks, they need a new "dream" to suck you in. The promise of #30/hour is probably nothing more t ...

I Quit Due To Crap Sound Quality And Hellish ESLs
Mar 26, 2015

I quit in early 2014 because there was a sudden switchover of doctors in the acct I was typing, and they were the worst I've ever encountered. The sound quality was atrocious at Nuance. It was like scraping the bottom of the barrel. I work for a different company now that doesn't make you jump through stupid FIESA hoops, etc, and it's nice. Just wondering if the same crap dictation continues at Nuance. I liked Transcend. ...

All This Monitoring Talk
Jun 24, 2010

I realize we work on production and that we're not making money when our fingers aren't moving, but I don't think there are too many jobs where you're actually actively working for the entire 8-hour shift.  There's always downtime.  I understand it being a problem if people aren't producing a reasonable amount of work during their shift, but come on!  Being chastised for stepping away from the keyboard for a bathroom break or to grab a cup of coffee i ...

Please Talk Me Down From Self-destruction
Apr 28, 2011

To make a long story short, I don't agree with QA scores I was given at my job.  I received an e-mail about it and need to reply nicely and suck it up, not unleash and possibly get fired. lol. I have to keep this job and need the money. Please talk me down. It's sad how medical transcription companies expect you to be 100% perfect. It seems like the MT is always wrong. Not QA, not the supervisors, not the presidents of the company. Whenever things go wrong, the MT alway ...

Let's Talk About The Pay We Deserve, Shall We?
Dec 01, 2011

Just for the sake of simplification, let's say there are 3 kinds of MTs: 1.  The MT who does absolutely any work type; operative notes, radiology, hematology, cardiology, neurology, and all the hard stuff, including difficult ESLs.  Good audits and production.  Good at VR. This MT is also certified. 2.  The MT who is not certified but has at least 10 years experience, many specialties, ESLs, good audits, VR, and excellent production. 3.  The newbie who ...

I Have To Thank All Of You Who Talk About Law Suits
May 14, 2012

You've made this board so completely boring that I no longer feel the need to come here every day.    ...