A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Earlier talk about keeping your office under - lock and key, investigating?

Posted: Jun 12, 2013

A few weeks ago there was talk about people thinking we should keep our work/office under lock and key, that someone was going to be showing up and because of the HIPAA law, we would be in big trouble, prosecuted, arrested, whatever. I have something to run past those that were posting. Ok, so today I take my husband to have a procedure done. I am called back to his room as he is awakening and there are 2 people sharing this room with a drawn curtain between them. The doctor comes in to talk with the patient in the next bed and goes over did you have anything to eat, drink, etc. and then starts over previous surgeries, allergies, meds they take, etc. I am sitting there gleaning information from this patient but hey, no one shows up to put the doctor behind the 8 ball. Can anyone tell me, why is this okay for the doctor to discuss another person's information out there and yet we are to put all under lock and guard because of us being MTers? What is the difference here? Okay for the doctors but OMG, we best tremble in our boots afraid of the law?

Hmmm - Good question

[ In Reply To ..]
I was so flipping sick the last time I was admitted about 9 months ago that I didn't read the mountain of paperwork I had to sign, but do you suppose somewhere in the admission papers you sign an agreement that "It is understood during the course of your admission your confidentiality cannot be 100% secured due to the nature of the facility" or something along those lines? ITA with your post, as I knew more about the woman I shared the room with than I ever needed to (facilities she had been at previously, procedures performed, current medications, social history info, the whole gamut, actually).

It's a really good point you bring up though. If I still had my admission paperwork, I'd dig through it and check but I pitched it all.

Hopefully someone knows for sure.

Answer - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The problem is with personally identifiable health information, not just health information.

You can hear or read about toenail fungus and warts, but if you can't identify the patient, that isn't a breach.

What happened in that office is kind of tacky, but possibly necessary due to the structure of the facility. However, unless you could tell who the patient was, there was no breach.

If you could hear a name, an address, DOB, demographics, next of kin, etc., then you should report it.

Well, it just so happens it was a small - outpatient procedure place

[ In Reply To ..]
and not only was I waiting outside when this person came to the window, gave her name, signed in, etc. but this was also the patient in the room with my husband so yes, I did hear more than just toenail fungus. As far as reporting it, not a chance on this end. I just thought how it sounded when the others saying no one can be in your room while you are working, never know when Joe Law is going to come and grab you and yet this was a doctor's office.

Duty to report - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There is absolutely nothing wrong with reporting. If you heard someone else's info, someone heard yours.

The law does not require absolute secrecy. It allows that some inadvertent disclosures may be inevitable, but requires that they be minimized.

Minimal info on sign in sheets, if used at all. Avoiding using SSNs where they can be overheard.

I would not go to a place where my privacy was not respected.

No, Joe Law is not going to come grab you if someone walks into your office. But, your family should not be able to see or hear your work.
And I say horse feathers to such - Just blows my mind
[ In Reply To ..]
Like anyone out there has the time, money and energy to come into all MTs office just to make sure no one is lurking around to "see or hear" what we are working on. If I showed everyone on my street my monitor, just how many do you think would be able to make 1 thought out of what they read (that is thinking they could even read in the first place). I am not turning anyone in, I am not paranoid like others on here that someone is coming to get me, I share my work room with my husband and who knows and who even cares. The above I posted was a come back on the postings before who thought we should be under cloak and dagger situation in regards to our work. Better to worry about someone trying to hack into your computer (or bank account) rather than someone "trying" to gain information from what is seen on a monitor.
Another point - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
I live in a small town. Our local hospital officially only has 25 beds, not including the ER and the outpatient surgery area. Anyway, I've been to the ER and outpatient surgery area with myself and various members having procedures done there. Often, we already know the person or persons who share the large preop room, separated only by curtains. All of their personal health information is freely discussed with no privacy. As a matter of fact, if I didn't already know their names, I may know them by the end of the visit, as the medical personnel do use patient's last names when speaking to them. As far as I know, I've never signed anything waiving my right to privacy; in fact, I was given a copy of the HIPAA rule and told who to contact if I had questions or concerns. I did contact that person in 2007, but was quickly brushed off. The hospital has a CYA policy and it is "understood" that they will kindly listen to complaints and do nothing about it, and most complainers will not spend the time, energy, and money to take it to the next step (court). So, it's a double standard. Seems pretty unfair to me. Frankly, if I were in my home office with my cat and someone came here to investigate and arrest me for allowing my cat to see the computer screen or whatever, I'd be the first one to contact the media, set up a website, engage social networks, etc., and use the experience to educate the public about just what happens with their personal health information, in reality.
Thanks for your insight. When we all know - well at least here in MT land
[ In Reply To ..]
where loads of the records are being sent and have been sent now for years, why be paranoid about your own home? Just keeps blowing my mind about the subject of how we need to be under lock and key in the privacy of our homes. Thanks again.

Privacy - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't lock my office, and I don't worry about the privacy police coming to my home. I do keep my monitor so it is not facing my open office door (not that my husband cares about what is on my screen) and I also use earphones and not the computer speakers, but I do know some at-home MTs who use the computer speakers. I did work for a local MTSO at one time who had the tech support person come to my home and check out my home office and load software onto my computer. I had it set up then as I do now, and it passed inspection. That was a few years ago.

Last week I had a doctor's appointment, and while I was sitting in the exam room waiting for my visit, I could hear one of the doctors dictating on a patient as clear as if she were standing right next to me. I heard the patient's name, DOB, and her entire report, which included her past medical history and medications, etc. I think that probably was a privacy violation since I heard the name and DOB along with the entire report.

Leaving MT - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope you reported it. That is a terrible breach of ethics. What if you were not the honest person that you are and had instead copied down her info and used it?

I agree! I hope you reported it. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, that's a violation. The office apparently hasn't noticed that people can hear the doctor dictating.

That should be reported.

To the people who say that facilities don't care . . . mine sure does. We have not one, but two privacy officers who conduct inspections, provide education, and have to log and report incidents. Every facility has them. If you think your doctor or your facility isn't responsive, and if you hear or see something that is wrong, or if you have a complaint, don't report it to THEM . . . report it to the people listed above.

The information you hear about others will be YOUR information as soon as that doctor dictates about YOU.

There is nothing wrong with a complaint. Those doctors and those employees have oodles of training. They are already supposed to know.

Locking office, privacy - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I was in this discussion thread, but I never ever stated or implied in any way HIPAA cops were going to come to your house to check. Ever. That is sheer ludicracy unless somebody reported you specifically, and even then I doubt that. You would simply be written up and possibly terminated. You could be sued though depending on the situation.

Just because you see somebody else violating HIPAA does not mean it is OK.

I am in a situation where I provide transcription services to several local facilities, of which my husband's employers (old and current) send their employees, and my neighbors (I kid you not) and friends are patients there. Patients at other physicians' offices where I obtain healthcare are too. To my horror, so were my own home healthcare nurses (there was a packet with their facility name on it containing tapes when they came over one day, but this was prior to me taking over from another service owner). I also transcribe on police officers, etc. When they came over in regard to a friend staying here temporarily (he was on probation), I told them they needed a warrant to enter my office, which they do. I do not tell anybody who I transcribe for, especially due to the nature of the reports. I live in a huge metro area. You would be suprised how small the world really is.

I highly doubt many or very few MTs are in this position, but it is always best to be safe than sorry and lose your job or clients and violate anybody's rights.

Privacy - sharing of information

[ In Reply To ..]
It seems like the only way there would be an investigation is if the information were shared with others, right? I think most of us are prudent about keeping the stuff we transcribe private, and some MTs, based on their personal situation, might need to keep their offices locked, for example, those with local accounts and teenagers or roommates in the house that could snoop around and find information on people they might know and share that information. I think the big violations really come from people working at the hospital snooping in medical records of people they know personally or famous people's records and then talking about that information.

Similar Messages:

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Need To Convert From Office 2013 To Office 2010
Apr 26, 2014

I'm starting with a new company next week.  My Windows 7 PC has Office 2013 Professional.  The new company's platform is only compatible with 2010 or earlier.  I don't have the money to spend on 2010, so I'll either have to decline the offer or try to find a way to install 2010 cheaply.  I thought I might be able to download a version for free, since it's not the newest version, but it doesn't look like I can do that.  Any ideas? ...

Hi Kiki, Your Earlier Post
Dec 08, 2009

I know I saw one of your earlier posts about the shareholder's meeting, I just can't find it now.  There are some very interesting things in there, which is why I recommended  to read it carefully.  You can Google these people for background before voting. ...

Finishing Andrews Earlier?
Mar 20, 2015

I see that on the Andrews website, the average time to finish the coding course is 12 months. I have lots of time to devote to the course, and it would be nice to finish it earlier. Has anyone here finished the course earlier? How long did it take you? How many hours a week did you devote to it? ...

Hyperhidrosis - S/l Any Inciting Earlier Factors
Apr 05, 2012

Not sure after or... Her episodes do not have any particular relationship to stress or s/l any inciting earlier factors... ...

Rumor Earlier In 2012 That Transtech Was Going To
Jan 15, 2013

be acquired.  Did that ever happen?  Is it going to?  Already been through 2 acquisitions and don't want to do it again, so want to know Transtech status before possibly applying.  Any info?  Thanks ...

TTS Keeps Advertising. I Applied Earlier This Year Sm
Apr 03, 2014

I took their test and passed.  I emailed them several times. They contacted me once and said they were filling full time positions first (I want part time to begin because I want to see before I commit to 40 hours a week if I can make money).  I have worked for a teaching hospital for 30 years. Oh well. If they contact me now, I'll say "NO, THANK YOU!!" ...

Keystrokers, Regarding Earlier Layoff Post
Jun 12, 2014

I do not know what I can mention here, but was the HR person’s first name who was let go start with a K?  I ask because I replied to their job posting that stated they were rolling back the clock and needed to hire 40 MTs.  I sent in my resume in response to the pediatrics account because a while back, I was an MT at a children’s hospital in a very large city.  I stated I knew my skills were old but that I was submitting my resume anyway for their consideration.  ...

Weird Ad Overlapping Dictation Earlier.
Oct 06, 2014

Before the crash, I was in the middle of a report when an ad for an animal shelter came on, encouraging adopting a pet.  It played over and over, drowning out the dictator's voice.  I thought I had triggered it somehow, but couldn't figure out how to get rid of it.  I tried to ignore it, but it was hard to hear the dictation, so I hit "Abandon."  Suddenly, the overlapping voice stopped.  Yay!  I was able to cancel the abandon and finish the report.  S ...

We Had A Discussion Earlier About Unpaid Work
Jun 07, 2015

And I was told that they "give" you extra in each report. I had a no dictation report and the line count is 0.02 of a line. Is that what you deem satisfactory for the unpaid work we do? ...

I Saw Him Earlier Because Of These Blisters On His Hand, Which I Felt Was S/l Pompholyx To Do (see M
Jan 01, 2012

I saw him earlier because of these blisters on his hand, which I felt was s/l pompholyx to do and he responded well to topical steroids. ...

To Clarify My Earlier Post, About Inquiring To Newspapers....
Aug 19, 2013

After reading the replies, seems what I meant to say was misconstrued. When I decide to inquire to e-newspapers about exposing MModal, I meant trying to get the message out about Americans' private information going overseas, as the main point.  Ragging on how horrible the company would be just a side thing.  If people don't speak out, things don't change.  American women would not be able to vote if those strong, outspoken women way back didn't fight for that ...

Keeping Our Coding In The US
Jan 20, 2011

Good news!  A while back I posted how the company I work for was sold to an Indian group.  I was concerned if that meant my coding job was going the way of my MT work.  i work for a company that is coding's equivalent to an MTSO.  Well, the hospital to which I am contracted has decided to not renew the contract with the company as they demand that their coding be done in the US by US coders.  The hospital will hire the coders directly a ...

You All Are Keeping Copies Of Everything Right?
Sep 11, 2013

Keep everything, I would love to know if the TSMs are sending out generic explanations of the new policies that are given to them by the company or if they are their own interpretations. It just doesn't make sense to me that I am supposed to be availabe around the clock for when there is work. I also don't understand how they FORCED me to take a shift and now are threatening to change my shift to when work is available. Something stinks and we need to stand together on this or we wi ...

To Keeping My Head Up And Other Newbies
Oct 25, 2009

There is good reason that these ladies sound a little negative.  It is not about you, your initiative, or your dedictation.  They do know what they are talking about, but they did not even begin to explain to you why, probably not enough room or time!  This industry has changed drastically.  You can not believe the ads you read about being an MT, great money, work your own hours, train in 2-4 months, blah, blah, blah.  None of that is true.  This has become a low in ...

Every Day Another Test...at Least I'm Keeping Up My MT Skills!!
Aug 08, 2010

Anyone noticed these tests are asking some of the same questoins?  My little answers keep popping up when I start typing in the answer.  The transcription portions are way too long though.  Some are super easy and others are the scum at the bottom of the barrel.  I'm beginning to think we're doing somebody's work for them!  Now I'm thinking about all the money I could have made by transcribing these stupid test reports.  I think one company test ...

Pay Rate Not Keeping Up With The Times
Jan 20, 2011

I have been an MT since 1986. I would like to know why the MT industry does not raise pay rates for MTs to keep up with the rising cost of living? Are we expected to just work longer hours in order to raise our pay? I see job openings offering 7 cpl! This is ridiculous! I have never made more than 9.5 cpl.  We all know the companies are raising their contract rates for clients and making a killing, so why is our industry becoming such a slave-driving industry and what can we do about it? Ye ...

Keeping Copies Of Emails
Sep 19, 2012

Does anyone know how to forward emails from Nuance's company email program to your personal email for documentation??  I've tried to forward them to mine and it refuses to recognize my personal email and address and won't forward them.  It's obvious I need to keep track of them and I'm afraid if something happens I will be blocked from the company email.  TIA ...

Keeping My Hands From Cramping
Sep 26, 2012

I'm delighted to be going back to straight transcription after 9 months of VR editing!! I'm getting nervous about my hands cramping up when I return to straight typing though -- suggestions on how to keep them limber??? ...

Keeping Company Computer?
Jan 15, 2014

I gave notice last week. I hate everything about this company EXCEPT I love their computer and monitor. Does anyone know if keeping it rather than returning it is an option?...and if so, if they ask a ridiculous amount of $$ to do so? ...

Thank You Mmodal For At Least Keeping Health
Oct 30, 2014

Rates are a pleasant surprise. ...

So Much For Keeping Fingers And Toes Crossed!
Nov 18, 2009

The only jobs that were actualy transcription for me today were the worst 4 doctors on the planet!  I am pulling my hair out today over the 10 reports that had to be sent to the MMEs with all of the holes! Also, to the MME who corrected 1 of my reports: I know that numbers are not spelled out, however, the doctor said "325 one or two a day"   He did not say milligram, therefore, you are not supposed to leave 2 numbers next to eachother, so I spelled it out.  If I knew we w ...

Keeping Track Of Time Typed
Aug 16, 2011

Is there such a thing available that keeps track of "at the keyboard" typing time? I am one that gets up and down frequently throughout my work day and its hard to keep track of exactly how many actual hours I am typing.  I want something automatic that I don't have to remember to click on/off because if I could remember to do that, I could remember to write it down :)  Anyone know of something like this? ...

Keeping Track Of Line Count
Jan 25, 2013

Is there any other way to know your line counts besides the metrics??  ...

Keeping Track Of Multiple Accounts/jobs
May 18, 2010

I recently quit my hospital MT job and started working for a mid sized MTSO. This was a big change for me, different platforms, different rules, different type of accounts. I have 4 accounts with this job, all with their own little rules and formats and things. On top of that I recently was hired and quit with another large MTSO for weekend work (didn't like the QA or managers; I was constantly being forgotten). Anyway, I quit them after 2 weeks and was just hired as an IC for small MTSO an ...

Some Seem To Think MQ Door Is KEEPING Them From Family Time, Decent
Oct 26, 2010

that door as an entry way to better things. Go through it to another job, one that fits you and your family better.  They are out there but it is not fun or easy to find them.  Some, it seems, would rather stay put and whine rather than go after what they want and deserve.  If it is worth having, be it a better job, better life, whatever, it is not gonna be handed to you and if it is worth it to you, it is worth working for. ...

I've Been Keeping Track Of The Time It Takes To Do ASR Reports.
Jan 04, 2013

Rarely are they taking 1/2 the time of straight typing. The majority are taking at least as long as it would to straight type and some more time. This is all due to the number of corrections and punctation and formatting I have to do! ...

How Is The Workload Today? I Have To Work In 3 Hours And Keeping My Fingers Crossed! Nm
Feb 01, 2013

.. ...

QA Talk
May 03, 2011

Over my many years in this industry, I have worked with tons of QA folks.  I was also one of them.  Most of them were great.  Also always wondered why everything does not go thru QA.  They QA all kinds of products in other industries like food products, toys, cars, etcetera.  ...

For Anyone To Come On Here And Talk About
Mar 20, 2014

yet unrealized position is just plain unprofessional. What reaction did you really expect? What was the purpose? Right now you have a piece of paper and a promise. Why not wait out the 6 months and then 2 long Mmodal years and then come back and share your journey of a lifetime. Don't forget, they once sold VR as the ticket to tripling your wages. Now that that train has run off the tracks, they need a new "dream" to suck you in. The promise of #30/hour is probably nothing more t ...