A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Plan B: Job Ideas That Don't Require Lengthy Training - CMTx2

Posted: Jan 27, 2012

Before all the Debbie Downers and Eeyores come out of the woodwork, let me preface these 2 ideas with:  These will not appeal -- or even be possible due to family commitments -- to all.  BUT they will be viable solutions for some.  Both are in the medical field and do not require extensive training. 

1.  EKG monitor tech.  Requires just 8-10 weeks of training.  A quick check of pay for my region shows $17.65-$25.53 per hour, which is in keeping with what my employer pays.  Plus, there is always overtime available.  And don't forget about the shift diff.  Downsides:  Unappealing hours (lots of overnights, weekends, 12-hour shifts), and must get and maintain CPR certification.

2.  Sleep tech (a.k.a. polysomnographer).  Works for sleep centers.  Schooling is 6-12 months.  According to eHow.com, salary averages 33.8K to 54.1K.  Downside, obviously, is that you'd mostly need to work overnights.  There are day jobs available, but not many, and noobs won't get those slots.  Also must have CPR cert.

Both positions seem to have lots of p.r.n. work available.

Please feel free to add any other ideas.  It seems so many of us are scrambling to get into another field these days and don't have the time/energy/money to go to school for 4+ years while still working F/T.

PLEASE not the silly "Debbie Downer" stuff - NotIn3rdGrade

[ In Reply To ..]
Your post alienated many here right outta the box with the silly "Debbie Downer" garbage. Next time, you might consider leaving that infantile stuff out of your post.

Nevertheless, for the benefit of others here I wanted to chime in. I am almost 50 and tried to go back to school (with a double major) last summer while working 29 hours per week. Those were online classes, so I never had to leave the house since my job is telecommuting. Anyway, it made me VERY sick -- I almost killed myself. The classes were of a technical nature and required several hours daily (covering the material, studying, and completing assignments and quizzes), which was not a problem for me committment-wise. The problem was that I'm not 23 anymore and can't pull those "all-nighters" like I used to. BTW, I am in perfect health so that's not the problem.

I have talked with several friends about going back to school, some of whom are older than I. The consensus was that at our age it's best to go to work very VERY PT or just go to school and not work. I realize that not everyone can do this, but those of us past 40 in particular should probably make an effort to.

NotIn3rdGrade - Older MT

[ In Reply To ..]
May a offer a polite difference of opinion? I am over 60 and am launching a second career. I truly do disagree that people over 40 should just fold up their tents. How lame is that?

Care to share what you chose? - In the same boat. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
What I chose - Older MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I will be teaching foreign language and tutoring my native language.
Excellent. Best of luck with it and whatever you do, - ENJOY. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

THAT was neither stated nor implied! - NotIn3rdGrade

[ In Reply To ..]
May I suggest that you stop reading things into messages that were not there? NOWHERE did I state or imply that those over 40 should "fold up their tents!" That group would include ME, and I am still pressing on!

I was merely STATING MY EXPERIENCE, thinking that it may BENEFIT OTHERS.

Please, learn to READ and get a GRIP!
stated/implied j- Not in 3rd grade - Good for you
[ In Reply To ..]
Your post was very clear. Glad to see a poster stick up for themselves. Sick of the few on here that refuse to read a whole message, read into a message what is not there, then go off on others in a sarcastic, nasty, rude way. See the posts below where it was turned back on them, using their own words and the posters pulling that stuff did not like it much. (Loved it.) Maybe instead of spending so much time on this board, they should take reading/comprehension lessons. You go girl!

Plan B - Silly Sue

[ In Reply To ..]
You are right. I am 50+ and I have been taking on line classes for awhile. I just need 1 more class in Psychology to get my AA degree. I will have to wait awhile because my local community college does not offer the class I need on line. For me on line classes are a lot easier to manage while working. Good luck on your classes.

To CMTx2 - LeeLee

[ In Reply To ..]
Wanted to say it was really thoughtful of you to take the time to post this. I am sure this will benefit someone that may not have considered these options. Nice to see a positive outlook after reading so much nasty (especially on the politics board..LOL). Made my ulcer roar!

CMTx2 - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for a well-written and informative post. Nice to see someone on here is still positive!

Here is a video of what sleep techs do (sm) - CMTx2

[ In Reply To ..]
Sleep techs do have to interact with patients and touch them to put on monitor leads and C-PAP masks. I know this might not be up everyone's alley, so I'm just putting that out there.

See link to YouTube video below.

how to afford these things is the question... - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
it'd be great if there was job retraining funding available - something - so you could stay afloat while you trained. What if you don't have the money even for 8-10 weeks.

Same boat! - FlatBroke

[ In Reply To ..]
We MTs should be DEMANDING some type of federal or state job retraining program! Our entire profession is dying. As taxpayers, we should be entitled to at least retraining. You would think they would encourage this to keep us off the public dole and to keep those tax dollars rolling in.

I am calling my state senator tomorrow to schedule an appointment to go talk to him about this.

Seriously...YOU ARE WONDERFUL THANK YOU - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm going to do the same thing. I mean seriously, WHAT IS THIS - circle the drain but be cheerful Debbie Delightfuls in the process? I need help - I freely admit it - if you have crap pay how are you supposed to AFFORD THE TRANSITION TO SOMETHING ELSE? I remember those people chanting at the stadium after Hurricane Katrina - WE NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!

FlatBroke - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Ah, the Entitlement Generation. My daddy always said that the best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your arm. My family teetered near bankruptcy and I am doing what it takes (not easy, believe me) to keep us out. I have to go without things (sometimes dinner) but I am not about to ask some gummint official for my entitlement.
This is a real issue - that needs real solutions
[ In Reply To ..]
Good for you. Glad to hear the moral high ground is working out for you, but there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Name-calling, ridicule and self-righteous pontification is not a viable jobs plan. Survival of the fittest does not justify everyone for themselves at the expense of all for one and one for all. There is much more at stake here than honoring your daddy's colloquial catch phrase by using it to cast aspersions on folks who are living in a world of hurt.
Re: ''This is a real issue'' - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Excellent, intelligent response. A post that includes ''my daddy'' and ''gummit'' demonstrates the level of mentality.
LOL - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Thank you - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
Even if I scrub all the "glorious achievements" from my resume, apply for the job some might assume I assume is beneath me...I still might not get that job, due to my age, my work history, etc. GOOD GRIEF - do these people even know what is going on in the economy????
Flatbroke-Anon - Agree
[ In Reply To ..]
The people truly needing help, God bless them and help them all you can. However, I am sick of those that live beyond their means and then expect others to take of what they are too irresponsible to take care of themselves. HUGE DIFFERENCE. Too many wanting a hand out, and expecting everyone else to pay their way. There are always options, but too many people won't bother if the options are too difficult or cause them any discomfort. Too many people think so many jobs are below them--when was the last time you heard someone say, I am not working for that; I deserve more. Life can be very cruel, but it tells you quite a bit about someone's character as to how they handle adversity.
I have NO DEBT! - FlatBroke
[ In Reply To ..]
How EASY it is for you to sit there behind your screen and make sweeping asssumptions about someone whom you DO NOT KNOW about "living beyond their means," etc.

FYI (oh, THANKS for asking like an INTELLIGENT person would have done!) I have NO debt, use NO credit cards, pay CASH for everything! I have NEVER even had a collection agency contact me for some "outstanding bill." My wages as an MT have DROPPED PRECIPITOUSLY since 2008, when the outsourcing began (outsourced by not 1 but 2 local hospitals! Offered SLAVE JOBS working for Spheris and Accretive, and the latter REFUSED to tell us what they would be paying us! Oh, and we had 48 hours to accept or refuse their "offer.") at my local hospitals. I have NEVER, EVER been fired from any job, EVER (in 25+ years). I have worked my tail off, working as many as 3 jobs in my younger years. I have had drug reps and others ask me, "WHERE did you get your strong work ethic?" My quality of life has DECLINED as I cut out all kinds of "luxuries" (ha ha) from my budget.

For decades I have PAID MY TAXES. I have NEVER been "on the dole" of ANY government agency; I have always paid my way in this world. LOSERS who get FIRED qualify for unemployment benefits, yet I do not because I don't fit into the right "box!"

One of these days you will GROW UP and learn to ASK QUESTIONS before jumping to FOOLISH ERRONEOUS CONCLUSIONS.
Flatbroke -Anon - Agree
[ In Reply To ..]
Before you fly off the handle AGAIN. I was actually agreeing with your comment about the helping hand. Nowhere in the entire post was ANYTHING said about you personally or any comments made about YOUR PERSONAL situation. Nor did I ask you anything about your debt, income or how you spend your money. It was a statement in general as to how many people live. If this is how you behave when someone agrees with you, God help those that don't...this attitude and ridiculous outrage gives a glimpse of the 'tude. Good luck and GET A GRIP!
Communication. - FlatBroke
[ In Reply To ..]
We agree? That's good.

The onus of conveying info in a clear manner falls on the transmitter, not the receiver. Yes, you're right -- your post was full of vague statements without IDying WHOM you were referring to. Next time word your message CLEARLY to avoid misunderstanding.

Have a good night!

Signed,
On the Handle (LOL)
Communication - To Flatbroke
[ In Reply To ..]
When you posted that you have a helping hand at the end of your arm, I agree. Most people that hit the age of 50, at some time in their life, faced very difficult circumstances. How they weather those circumstances, what they learn and how they improve their circumstances tells you a lot about that person. When people (general term) get into the blame game and woe is me, it's everybody else's fault, somebody has to pay my way (as you see all over this board all the time), their time is not used to better their circumstances or get out of them. Self pity can be a very destructive loop to get into. I had several family members killed within seconds in a tornado. Yes, we were devastated, mourning for our loved ones, having lost everything we owned. Those remaining pulled together, pooled what they had, comforted each other, shared food, money, shelter, clothing and rebuilt. Those that were without family to help them, was helped by our family and other survivors until they could get on their feet. It was a horrible time. Thankfully, lives were rebuilt, although you never fill the void of the family lost. Since it took several days to locate the bodies, they could not even receive a proper burial. It took a long time, but we came through it. Our family did not focus on what we did not have or what the government would take care of, we took care of business on our own and have done much better as a result. I would not wish that on anyone. Incidentally, communication is a 2-way street. I believe there is equal responsbility for the reader and the writer. Enjoy your weekend.
I am totally against the entitlement mentality - and lean pretty far to the
[ In Reply To ..]
right, but I have to agree with the others on this. When I went through a medical program at a technical college, almost half my class was made up of people who had worked at factories that had gone under. They all received their education for free. The other half not including myself and one other person were young women who received regular government financial aid, not to mention government housing, food stamps, WIC, Families First, etc. I had to pay for my own, but I had absolutely no problem with the women that were displaced. They were there for the right reasons, and I still see some of them 10 years later. They are working in the field they went to school for. I don't think these people should be considered as the entitlement generation (all of which are over 50 now). They were and still are extremely hard workers.

I had a huge problem with the other group of girls, but that's what our country does. We reward the true entitlement people and could care less about the ones who are trying because we know that is what they will keep doing. They will keep on just like you somedays not eating dinner.

The government wants everyone to go EMR, and in that change over, a lot of hospitals/physicians have chosen programs that cut down, if not eliminate, transcription. I am a tax payer, and I see nothing wrong with the government providing training for them to enter another field as their laws are cutting down our jobs.

There are grants and loans available - through community colleges

[ In Reply To ..]
which also offer payment plans, especially for fast-track jobs market programs. Many classes are offered through the distance education curricula. The trick is to apply for financial aid well in advance of the registration deadlines. At Houston Community College, those deadlines do not necessarily occur every 4 months in the spring and fall, but rather are staggered in a variety of scheduling tiers that can be a narrow as every 8 weeks.

Even if you live in a rural area this can easily be a workable alternative. It may be worthwhle to check out on-line programs in various community college systems in your home state to avoid paying out-of-state tuition fees (though funding is available for that too) since many programs are associated/affiliated with local employers, who offer hands-on training in conjuction with classroom instruction, and in some cases, graduates cn become direct hires. These cooperative efforts in some ways function as a form of on-the-job-training that has been "outsourced" to the community colleges.

Nobody over 45... - Looking

[ In Reply To ..]
Good suggestions there. I would point out, though, that nobody I know over age 45 wishes to incur any debt.

Grants are hard to come by but certainly worth pursuing.

The only community college retraining programs like you mentioned in my area are for those on UNEMPLOYMENT. You don't qualify? Tough bananas!

Looking - LeeLee
[ In Reply To ..]
Saw your post about the unemployment. Not sure if this would benefit anyone, but the hospitals in my area post every job available on a community board. Even if you get in at the lowest entry job available, you are given the opportunity to advance to other areas. Most of the hospitals in my area also provide free training for many of the positions. My brother had been laid off (he did body work on cars). He took a shift at a local hospital where he received paid OTJ training. After a 2-year period, due to his work history, performance, etc., a higher up recommended him for a supervisory position, which he got, and has full benefits, as well. He had a rough patch of time there, but is doing very well. Hopefully, this will give someone else a ray of hope.
EXCELLENT ADVICE - CMTx2
[ In Reply To ..]
My hospital does the same. There ARE jobs throughout the hospital; they are not advertised other than on that board.

Once you are in (the department matters not), you can transfer over to HIM (or nursing, whatever) when a position opens. Be a model employee, work your butt off, take the odd shifts nobody wants, stay clear of the drama, and let the coding/nursing/? manager know you're as serious as a heart attack about becoming a coder/LPN/? and are saving up the money to begin school and you'd appreciate any OT that can be sent your way. The hospital will reimburse you for your schooling, including books. Some hospitals will even reimburse the cost of your certification exam (assuming you pass, that is).

It's the best deal going (and does not involve any government program).

Job description for EKG monitor tech (sm) - CMTx2

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure how other places handle training, but I've worked for 2 hospitals who've offered the training program for employees in the evenings for very little money. I know 2 people who took this program and then transferred into this telemetry job.

Note: - CMTx2

[ In Reply To ..]
To avoid possible confusion, I am talking here about EKG *MONITOR* tech -- a person who works in telemetry and watches a bank of monitors like a hawk. This is not the person who is applying the leads/performing EKGs.

Compared to being an MT.... - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
bring on the bank of monitors

I used to do this, and my mother actually - did this just recently

[ In Reply To ..]
We must live in different regions because the pay around here is much, much less. The top out pay is not even close to the starting pay in your area. For people in other areas, the pay is somewhat close to what someone would make as a phlebotomist, CNT, or registering. I actually made as much in registering than my mom did watching the monitors, and I think my top out was higher.

New Career - Sara

[ In Reply To ..]
I answered an ad in my local newspaper for a 9-1-1 calltaker/police dispatcher for the city. I have completed 8 weeks of academy training (paid) and am now on the floor learning...SO much fun and always something new to learn. And oh yes, I am 53 years old!

Similar Messages:

Ideas For New Comp Plan
Aug 15, 2012

Since it is obvious the new comp plan isn't done maybe we could give them help and point in the right direction.  I would love to hear what everyone thinks, good or bad.  Would you rather get paid hourly or by the line? How about a shift differential for the weekend? What about extra money per report for those accounts with multiple carbon copies and tedious demographic screens? Some companies consider FT and offer benefits at 32 hours, would that be something anyone would be ...

Your Lengthy Psychology Question
Aug 02, 2010

Now I can't even find the words for what I want to ask. I just want to talk about how your (editorial "your") confidence level has been affected by doing transcription. When I started doing this in 1990, I sort of thought transcription was "beneath" me, or I was over-qualified, and that it was a temporary job. Then I started noticing many of my (also very qualified) older coworkers who had been in the field many years, actually wanted to try something else, but ultimately see ...

Moving Lengthy Autocorrects Between Computers
Jul 23, 2011

I have run into this problem every time I have to switch to a new/different computer.  In Office 2003 I save autocorrect entires with the first four initials of the docs last name containing their usual physical exam spiel or sometimes a sample of their entire report.  There seems to be no limit to how many autocorrects can be saved or how long the save can be.  The problem comes when trying to move them to a new computer.  Does anyone have experience with this problem t ...

With New Plan STM Stated 35% Of Our Team Would C Increase With New Comp Plan
Dec 04, 2014

This means 65% will see decrease and/or paid minimum wage. They are touting this as the great new comp  (local Burger King is advertising job for $10/hour).  Anyone find out if the QC percentage is just for blanks or include all sent to QA including Audio issues, etc, and will EQA be included.  Also, trying to figure out our pay from week to week is going to be a pain.  I am going to see how this new comp plan works out, but since the conference call, I'm not feeling pos ...

Why Would A Co. Require IE 7.0 Instead Of 8.0?
May 12, 2010

I got a call today from HR at Sten-Tel (Springfield) saying that they were getting ready to make me an offer.  (Would consider taking it on only in addition to what I'm already doing due to hearing issues about lack of work.) I was, however, told that having Internet Explorer 8.0 was a problem and that I would need to uninstall this version and downgrade to IE 7.0.  I've never heard of this before and was wondering why the newer, more current version of IE would be a problem ...

Are There ANY Companies That Don't Require You To
Nov 05, 2009

do OP notes.  I hate 'em and for 2 days that's about all I've gotten.  So, I would love to find a company that does not require OP note transcription.  TIA. ...

Will Require 'ACU' Bed Postoperatively
Aug 15, 2013

I cannot confirm this anywhere - thanks ...

Does Anyone Know If It's Legal For Them To Require
Oct 09, 2014

us to download software that allows them full-time access to our personal computers, allows them to upload our info, track our history, etc.?  If it has nothing to do with our daily MT work, then is it even legal to require us to install their spyware permanently on our own personal property??  I've never heard of a company doing this.  ...

Are There Any Companies That Do Not Require A Quota?
Jan 20, 2010

I have 9 years' experience and can do about 150-180 lines an hour, but I hate having the feeling of I need to get to the particular quota and rushing myself along.  I want to do a quality report and would rather work for a company who represents that.  Anyone know of any companies out there like this?  TIA. ...

How Many Lines Per Day Does Your Company Require?
Jun 08, 2011

I'm curious, as this year my line requirement went way up and I was told what is required is "competitive" with what other companies require. I don't believe it is, and I work constantly to meet it. I wonder if this forum will let this message stay up--seems like anything that smacks of transcriptionists working together for anything like rights gets taken down, but... ...

If You Do VR All Day, What Line Count Does Your Co Require?
May 03, 2012

x ...

Companies Who Do Not Require A Schedule.
Sep 14, 2012

Big company or small, full or part-time, good or mediocre pay, are there ANY companies who do not require a schedule for an IC? I have searched and searched...to no avail. Thanks for any tips if you know of a company who fits this description! ...

Forbes: The Best Jobs That Don't Require
Oct 29, 2012

"A recent report by the McKinsey Global Institute found that while low-skill jobs are on the decline, by 2020 employers around the globe will need an estimated 45 million more mid-level workers who have a high school education and vocational training. Meanwhile, a highly citedstudy by the Harvard Graduate School of Education last year concluded that in the U.S. “we place far too much emphasis on a single pathway to success: attending and graduating from a four-year college ...

What Do Most MTSOs Require For FT SR Lines? Nm
Aug 23, 2013

nm ...

Coding Students, Does Your Course Require You...
Jan 27, 2014

to buy books with or without answers? Mine requires books w/o answers, which I find odd since there isn't an answer key posted or anything to find out if you've got the right answer. Pretty weird in my opinion.  ...

Does Nuance Require MTs To Purchase Their
Oct 31, 2014

If so, is it easy to get it onto MS Word?  Could anyone share which one use?     Thanks! ...

Alpha Transcription - Do They Require Set Hours?
Jan 06, 2011

Hi, I was wondering if any of you could tell me about Alpha Transcription.  Do they require set hours?  Do they pay decent?  How is their communication?  Do they have PTO?   Thanks! ...

Anyone Know Of A Company That Doesn't Require Testing?
Jul 09, 2013

Anyone know of a company that doesn't require testing? ...

Does Command Health Require A Set Schedule?
Jan 19, 2014

I have a friend that worked at MD-IT prior to the Command Health buyout. She is still with the MD-IT division (or whatever they call it now), is employee status but is able to work whenever she wants as long as she meets line requirement and doesn't go over 40 hours a week. Is this the way it is across the board for Command Health? I thought I needed an IC job for flexibility, but if I could have that flexibility as an employee that would be great. Thanks for the info. ...

Time Outside Production - Isn't It Illegal To Require This?
Feb 13, 2014

New to Nuance, swallowed up when they acquired my employer at the end of 2013.  I see they really expect you to spend a lot of time doing things outside your schedule, training, reading manuals, etc.  Other than a flat rate for installing and learning software (20 minutes, actually took twice that), they don't offer to pay for all this extra time.  Seems excessive.  Has anyone tracked this extra time and filed a complaint with DOL about it?  Or tried to clock into W ...

Patient Anemic....did Not Require S/l Oral Transfusion?
Apr 09, 2010

I know I learn something every day in this business, but I've never heard of this.  She's very, very clear, but I'd like to know for sure before I QA.  Thanks!  For context, this is the complete statement: She was found to have a hemoglobin as low as 7.8 and was sent to the emergency room.  This did not require an s/l oral transfusion.   ...

Doesn't Diskriter Require Background Checks?
Jul 10, 2010

NM ...

Any Companies Out There Who Leave You Alone And Do Not Require Specific Hours
Feb 19, 2013

Are there any companies out there who let you just do your work and do not require you to give them a time or if you leave your computer that they constantly harrass you? ...

I'd Like To Find A Company That Doesn't Require Me To Load Their Software.
Mar 18, 2010

I basically would like to grab my work from an FTP site, transcribe it in word, and upload it back.  Are there any companies that still do that? ...

Account Specifics Require SOAP Format For All Dictators
Aug 18, 2010

Okay, i have a doc that is dicating pretty much an H&P but account specifics require SOAP format for all dicators. Would most everything go under subjective heading such as social history, family history, no known allergies, etc.? I know PE will go under objective, but would the ROS go under objective as well or subjective? Thanks! ...

Any Ideas??
Feb 12, 2012

Help! I am transcribing from some tapes, yes tapes, and the sound quality is extremely poor.  Wondering if anyone knows if conference mode versus dictation mode makes any difference in sound quality.  Need to do something.  Digital would be best if I can convince them to change.  Thanks for any suggestions. ...

Need Some Ideas.
May 24, 2012

Well this whole transcription thing is not going well. Duh! With a really bad work schedule, an hour commute each way and now the threat of the hospital outsourcing our department, I am trying to think of something I can do from home besides work for peanuts for a MTSO. I am expecting my first child soon and really want to be home with him.  Does anyone have a friend or family member who has successfully implemented her own business (perhaps with a transcription background) and if so, ...

Any Ideas?
Dec 11, 2013

Tried testing for Accentus, but my foot pedal would not play the voice file.  It did absolutely nada.  I could not go backward or fast forward.  I was able to hear the test voice file just fine, so I went ahead and hit the tab to take the test.  I transcribed 4 words, went to back up, and I couldn't.  Any suggestions as to why my stinking foot pedal would not work?  It works fine when I am transcribing for my present service.    ...

Ideas??
Apr 07, 2015

Hi Guys/Gals,   I am dictating a doctor who sounds like he has a mouthful of marbles.  Under Physical Exam he states, "Abdomen is soft, no _____megaly.  It is not organomegaly because I have transcribed this doctor many times and it sounds nothing like it.  Any ideas on what else it could be?  ...

Any Ideas Of Another Career In Which I Can...
Apr 15, 2010

put all of this wonderful medical terminology to good use?  Don't want to be a nurse.  I hate needles and blood.  I am a very empathetic and compassionate person.  I really don't want to deal with the public/customers. ...