A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Pay scale dropping - Jazzy

Posted: Oct 22, 2010

Does anyone else notice the pay scale is dropping for transcription to 7 cpl being standard now??? Was 8 cpl not low enough. Why are we accepting this??? Come on MTSO?  What's up with that?   

Regarding accepting pay cuts, Jazzy, some ARE not accepting. - Anon.

[ In Reply To ..]
and are training for other work or have left the field.

Many of us, though, are nearing retirement age (overall, MTs are an aging group) and are trying to hold on until it's time to get off. I'm in this group, and with the use of my expander I've been largely able to limit the hit--so far, so accepting the changes is still working well enough for me.

Of course, then there's the large group of people doing poorly who substitute outraged complaints for badly needed self-help. Why do some claiming to be making minimum wage come here and shout insults at their employers instead of serving notice? I don't know, but I wouldn't try rallying them to action--unless it's to launch a balloon.

dropping pay - curious

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi Jazzy, I am one who is not taking that rate. I am going to get out of this business. I am fast approaching retirement age myself, but I will start over at something else rather than working more but earning a salary that steadily goes down instead of up. I refuse to do this line of work at the same across the board pay that everyone is offered. I have almost 20 years in this business, but apparently it doesn't allow me to get a better rate than someone just starting. Granted, I am very fast and can earn a little more because of my experience, less looking up info., etc., but I have never seen an industry with continually lowering pay where everyone just accepts it. I will not stick with it just because of the convenience of working from home. There are other work from home jobs, and it may take me a while, but I will find the right one and move on.

Its sad - Jazzy

[ In Reply To ..]
It makes me so mad when these MTSOs are so controlling and demanding. They dont care about the transcriptionist. They work the transcriptionist like a dog, 24 hour or less turnaround??. And when they feel like it, some of them, they just take the work off your queue because you did not start it right away even though they say 24 hours turnaround? And we are doing this for what, just to work at home? I think doctors need to start hiring us in-house again but I know it won't happen. I have friends who work in an office and make anywhere from $20-$25 an hour, so how does that equate to .7 cpl? And with benefits. I have my own doctor and I refuse to work for an MTSO that will pay less than 8 cpl and even that is crappy. They treat you like you are not to have a life. Work holidays? weekends? Why? When I worked in an office, there were times when we were a week behind, the doctors lived you know. It was okay!!

Sad? - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I am one of those people who have an office MT job. We earn what you say but it's straight production and we work hard. There are also pretty strict line rate and QC requirements. 24-hour turn around is required there as well, 1-2 hours for radiology. We work weekends. My employer closes on the holidays, but we'd be working if it were not. Any hospital with on-site MTs requires weekends, evenings and holidays. I made the choice years ago not to work at home and in many ways it is probably better, but there are still many similarities in the job requirements. It seeems that the grass is always greener somewhere else.
The willful ignorance about what's happening in other industries - Anon.
[ In Reply To ..]
is astonishing. Grass is greener, indeed (for some apparently always, Anonymous). It's so obvious which posters don't read newspapers or news magazines at all; but don't MTs who are sure dropping wages, layoffs of the highest skilled and paid workers, "horrible" abuses by greedy evil employers, etc., are our own special problem have any input from friends or relatives about the devastation hitting many other fields?

Some of the posters here definitely aggravate my split personality. One part is so exasperated I want to see them hop straight into another frying pan. NOW they'll find out. Another is grimly aware that this kind of ignorance is all too likely to land them straight in the fire itself, and my bleeding heart takes over.

Jazzy, and others who do not read for information (you know who you are), for your own good, get a free e-mail subscription to a national newspaper or news magazine and READ just the parts that jump out and intrigue you each day.

New York Times
Christian Science Monitor
Newsweek Magazine
Dallas Morning News
USA Today
L.A. Times
Seattle Times
Salt Lake Tribune
Miami Herald
Boston Globe Online
Dozens of others

Take your pick. They're all FREE!

other industries - curious
[ In Reply To ..]
How do you know what we read or don't read? What in any above post says we are not aware of what is going on in other fields? I don't recall anyone mentioning that all of their friends and family are in fabulous positions with huge pay increases all the time and have not suffered. However, since you are so well read, you must be aware that some fields are actually predicting a shortage of workers in the future and big growth potential.

Yes I MAY jump into another frying pan! How do you know that if we leave what we are doing we ARE going right into another frying pan? Maybe we will find a very fulfilling career and maybe not. What are you saying, we should just stay in the frying pan forever and not even try to get out?

My salary has gone down, but I still work directly for a hospital, actually have great management and do not work for an evil employer. My salary has gone down some, but my income is secondary and I can make do. I just do not see any growth potential in this industry. I only see people with pay cuts and cannot find one post or have talked to one person in transcription that has received a pay increase in a very long time.

At this point, my hospital is potentially cutting more pay, so in the meantime I am taking my time and reading up on many different career options, calling and asking questions of the professional organizations I am interested in and looking into what classes are needed to go in these various career directions. Maybe I should just read a newspaper about how bad everyone else has it instead of researching what fields are expected to have growth in the next few years? If it means going into another frying pan, then how am I worse off than the frying pan I am already in?

willful ignorance - jazzy
[ In Reply To ..]
You sound like the ignorant one. Actually, you sound like you are the owner of an MTSO. Why don't you work for pennies an hour or maybe you do and just settle for staying in that frying pan. We have our opinions and you have yours. I REFUSE TO WORK FOR 7 CPL OR LESS. Good luck to your reading of your magazines. Stay depressed.

Similar Messages:

Why Is IC Pay Dropping So Low?
Sep 23, 2010

Traditionally, IC positions have always paid better than employee positions since the IC company doesn't have to bear the employer's cost of taxes, benefits, etc. But, I've noticed lately that companies hiring ICs are offering extremely low pay, usually somewhere between 7 to 8 cpl.  There's a company advertising on the board now for an IC at 7.5 cpl.  I've applied with a few companies recently and with the companies who hire employees, I've been offered ...

Dropping A Zero
Feb 15, 2013

In lab results, should the zero be dropped if dictated?  ex:  ANC 1.0, PST 3.0, etc. ...

Score Just Keeps Dropping
Aug 21, 2013

No matter how hard I try these days I cannot get my accuracy back to what it has been for years. I always maintained 99% or higher, mostly always right at 100% but now I cannot even get to 98% with everyone they keep marking me off for.  It has gotten ridiculous.  I have never ever had this many reports audited and marked for not having an s at the end of a word.  So disheartening when I feel I am doing so good.  Been at this for a very long time and never had anything like t ...

Benefit Rate Dropping Again
Jan 12, 2010

For those of us that are still hanging on by a thread, did your benefit rate fall?  I just got my letter...lost another $1.  I know that doesn't seem much but over the last few changes I have lost $5...just keeps going down.  I guess I shouldn't care...I have had to use all of my PTO to make up time.  I am probably going to be performance managed (or fired, not sure) because my CCM said we could clock in and out all day to keep from putting in NJA tickets (so we wou ...

Monthly Bonus Dropping
Feb 26, 2010

Has anyone else been seeing a gradual yet substantial drop in monthly bonus amounts?  Anyone know what the "pool" amount is these days or is that still top secret? ...

With The MT Salaries STILL Dropping To Below Minimum Sm
Jan 07, 2014

wage and at the same time that insurance costs & deductibles are rising, more and more MTs are now working only for some semblance of (overpriced) insurance ... There is virtually nothing left that can be called "salary". ...

Belkin Router/VPN Dropping Connect Help
Sep 17, 2011

I transcribe for a large hospital from home through their VPN connection.  I use a router at home, and keep getting disconnected from the VPN, am pretty sure it's the router.  Anyone have any luck with a particular brand of router and VPN, I've heard Linkskys might be better?  My broad band company nor my tech support at work "do not support routers" so if I want to use one, I'm on my own.  Have called Belkin, will call again, but just thought I'd ask on t ...

OSI Pay Scale - Sm
Oct 12, 2010

Can anyone give me a GENERAL idea of what OSI might start you out at per line?  I have a lot of experience but I know that doesn't matter much anymore.  I am not going through testing to find out the pay is 7-8 cents per line. Thanks for any help/suggestions. ...

New Pay Scale
Jul 10, 2011

So they took back that ridiculous and insulting "raise" of 0.001 cents per line I got a year or so ago and the 0.007 for speech wreck?  Figures.  I must have been making way too much now.  I shouldn't have even opened the E-mail.  ...

On A Scale Of 1 To 10
Feb 19, 2012

be specific.  Thanks!  ...

Pay Scale 3/6 - I Want A Job Like This...
Jun 04, 2014

Lets see if i make 3/6 a line that comes to   250 x 0.03 = 7.50 an hour  -- wow minimum wage. 150 x 0.06 = 9.00 an hour -- McDonald's wages. At 4/7 250 x 0.04 = 10.00 an hour  - Do you see the different 1 cents makes? 150 x 0.07 = 10.50 an hour   even if you did slightly better and could do 300 lines an hour editing you would only get 9.00 an hour.  So to make any money there, you would have to literally kill yourself.  TTS IS NO GOOD. period end of sto ...

FOCUS PAY SCALE
Feb 11, 2010

I posted this question below but fear it will be buried. To those of you just hired at Focus, how's the pay scale? I currently make 8.5 straight/4.5 editing. Is it comparable to, higher than or lower than that? I'd never ask anyone to divulge their pay scale but I'm trying to get a feel for if it's better than where I'm at.  TIA to anyone willing to give me a ballpark hint here! ...

Webmedx Pay Scale
Mar 19, 2010

Experienced MT looking for new position.  Reading posts seems like Webmedx might be a good choice.  Can anyone give me an idea of earning potential for someone like me with 25+ years experience. Have been working independently for almost 20 years for a private physician who is now retiring and sold the practice to a young computer oriented doctor. Obviously I can see I'll be on my own soon.  Any advice is welcomed! ...

Psych Scale
Jun 23, 2010

The patient completed a PHQ and a s/l lupus Functioning Scale.  Lucas?  Can't document anywhere.  TIA. ...

Pay Scale For Transcription Gone Down?
Sep 13, 2010

Is it just me or has the pay scale for transcription gone down?  More often I'm seeing 8- 8.5 cents per line for independent contractors and 7 cents per line for employees.  Is this just some freak thing lately or is it the norm?  ...

Incentive Pay Scale
Sep 19, 2011

I am wanting to submit a proposal to my company owner about implementing an incentive-based pay scale to help with some issues we are having with people not working consistently and to reward those who are putting in overtime, etc. I am having a hard time finding any information on this as far as like a sample scale. As far as I understand it you make your base pay say for example 7 cpl for the first x lines, then for the next y lines you make an additional 0.025 cpl and so on up the line... If ...

Transcend Pay Scale. Sm
Oct 10, 2011

I'm thinking of applying to Transcend, but while searching the archives I see posts saying that they only pay 8 cpl for transcription and 4 cpl for VR.  Is this true?  I have over 8 years of experience in acute care and don't want to waste my time if this is the case.  Thanks! ...

MedQuist Pay Scale
Nov 15, 2011

Just got an offer from MedQuist for Tier 2 but at a pay rate of 0.08/line with what is, in my opinion, a difficult work schedule for someone with a young family. Am going to see if they can sweeten the deal but wanted to find out from those of you currently working for them what your experience is with their pay rate.  I currently have 0.11 and 0.145 with other providers but need additional work to cover the nut. What is your experience with the shift work of 12-6 and 4-10? Do you physicall ...

Nuance QA - Does Anyone Know The Pay Scale?
Mar 08, 2012

Does anyone know if Nuance pays their QA staff hourly?  Does anyone know the pay scale? ...

MT Tier Pay Scale
Mar 29, 2012

Hello:   Can anyone tell me if there is a pay scale for each tier on the MModal MQCentral page?  I cannot find anything.    I am interested in having some concrete evidence when I ask for a raise as I am a Tier III being paid at a Tier I level according to what I read on a previous post.   Thanks in advance!! ...

Tier Scale
Jun 03, 2012

What does the Tier III mean for a MME or QA? How many tiers are there? ...

Pain Scale
Jul 05, 2012

Dictator says the patient has significant pain...._________ (s/l gallos) 7/10. Thanks! ...

Function Scale
Jan 31, 2013

For *pain* scale (1-10), i was taught to add the range if not dictated. Example: D: Pain was a 5. T: Pain was a 5/10. I'm not familiar with *function* scale.  This is a spine surgeon. This particular patient is having neck and shoulder issues (if that matters).  Is there a specific *function* scale?  If so, what is the range and do you add it like the pain scale, or do you guys just type as dictated without adding the range? ...

ORACLE PAY SCALE
Feb 01, 2013

Does anyone know what the current straight typing pay scale is?  ...

Indian MT Pay Scale
Mar 27, 2013

As best I can calculate, the Indian MTs are started at about $40/week. This is not an error. I looked at both the application from Nuance (which can be found by googling) as well as the exchange rate. So when you see all the "extras" they are offered, try not to be jealous; they can't buy groceries with those extras. Apparently they are as dissatisfied with the management of the MTSOs as are we Americans. The question seems to be how many will continue to work for such low salaries and ...

Pay Scale For IC A Bit Confusing......
Sep 26, 2013

Math was never my forte.  The pay is $1.15 per 1000 characters, 425,000 characters per pay period (part time) required.  I'll be working 20 hours per week.   ...

The Link -- New Pay Scale
May 16, 2014

October isn't going to work for me.   You need to give me back the pay you stole from me before October because the bank won't wait that long.   I will be homeless before that.   What would you like me to do?   Transcribe out of my car and use the gas pedal as my foot pedal?   Get real, Nuance!   How do you think we can make a living on what you pay us?   We were doing just fine until you started robbing us blin ...

French Scale
Jul 15, 2014

In transcribing 6 French something, is a hyphen required? ...

Merck Pain Scale?
Jan 14, 2011

He is saying some kind of pain scale - sounds like Merck?? ...

Medquist And Transcend Pay Scale?
May 13, 2011

I'm a current Webmedx employee and looking to work elsewhere, as I can no longer support myself with this company even with a second job. I'm wondering what the pay scales are for Medquist and Transcend. I've contacted many, many MT companies over the last few weeks and they are all slow to (or never) respond with pay inquiries, so I hope those experienced with these companies can help provide answers I'm looking for. What I'm looking for: Pay scale for manual, VR, ince ...