A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Indian MT pay scale - old and burned out

Posted: Mar 27, 2013

As best I can calculate, the Indian MTs are started at about $40/week. This is not an error. I looked at both the application from Nuance (which can be found by googling) as well as the exchange rate. So when you see all the "extras" they are offered, try not to be jealous; they can't buy groceries with those extras. Apparently they are as dissatisfied with the management of the MTSOs as are we Americans. The question seems to be how many will continue to work for such low salaries and to which country will the work go next? You can see why, with that kind of wage, these companies can put the work through layer after layer of off-shore MTs and still pay less than they would to an experienced and qualified MT. Too bad; this used to be a good job.

Perspective - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Keep in mind though that the cost of living difference is about 65%. It is much less expensive to live in India than the US. The average monthly salary is approx 450 dollars in India as compared to 3500 dollars in the US. (not that I in any way am close to meeting what they consider to be US average of 3500 dollars/month working at MM).

Plus they get free healthcare - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

So that is equivalent to a US MT making - $7.78/hour

[ In Reply To ..]
That is, about 38.5% of the country's average wage.

As others have pointed out, our beef isn't (or at least SHOULDN'T be) with our fellow screwed-over MTs in India. Our beef is with the greedy robber baron MTSOs!

No - old and burned out

[ In Reply To ..]
The starting MT in India is making $160/month. If you were making 100% more - you'd be making $320/month. The Indian govt provides the healthcare.
Huh? I know lots of people hate math, but - I think you're missing the point
[ In Reply To ..]
You say, "If you were making 100% more - you'd be making $320/month."

What does that have to do with the comparative average wage calculations above?

If the AVERAGE wage in the US is $3500 and the AVERAGE wage in India is $450, that's not double -- it's closer to 8 times!

India: $173 (MT wage of $40/week) is 38.5% of $450 (India average wage).
US: $1348 ($7.78/hour if working 40 hrs/wk) is 38.5% of $3500 (US average wage).

Pay Scale - CA worker

[ In Reply To ..]
I recently read where the middle class is expanding in other countries while in the US it is declining. How did that happen?

Simple. Capitalism run amok. - Nothing to curb them here in the US. (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Pay For The Indian MTs
Dec 01, 2011

There was a question about MTs pay in India. It is generally dependent on the line count and quality. Direct upload MT transcribing 800 lines per day - Rs. 1.2 (nearly 3 cents)  - 22 working days - Rs. 21,120 (around $600  per month) - greater than 98% accuracy (supposed to be) Only professionals like engineers, doctors, some software guys, etc. get more salary than this. Things are a little different in CBay (Medquist) India.  Irrespective of experience, the MT ...

Indian Vs US QA On ASR
Feb 05, 2012

I just saw a post from last month wondering about what the accuracy level is that Indian MTs have to maintain. On Editscript, expected accuracy is 99% and tolerated accuracy is 98.5%. If your job is marked by QA  as below 98% accuracy, you do not get paid for that job.  Critical/grave/major/minor errors are all assessed per job and factor into accuracy calculations. If you have more than 5 major errors per 2000 lines, you lose the right to work on an account.  Most Indian MTs prod ...

Indian MTs
Jul 03, 2012

Would someone please explain to me exactly why there are so many people in India that can to American transcription? How in the heck are they so proficient in the English language? Heck, 99% of Indian doctors I get couldn't speak a grammatically correct sentence if their life depended on it. I'm not kidding, I would really like to know. ...

Indian QCs
Sep 25, 2012

Does anyone have problems with Indian QCs (scores are good with US QCs), such as thinking that they may be deliberately marking errors where none existed originally?  I've tried to copy my reports to check against them when I get Indian QC feedback, but the platform won't allow it.  How does anyone else handle this?? TIA ...

OSI Pay Scale - Sm
Oct 12, 2010

Can anyone give me a GENERAL idea of what OSI might start you out at per line?  I have a lot of experience but I know that doesn't matter much anymore.  I am not going through testing to find out the pay is 7-8 cents per line. Thanks for any help/suggestions. ...

New Pay Scale
Jul 10, 2011

So they took back that ridiculous and insulting "raise" of 0.001 cents per line I got a year or so ago and the 0.007 for speech wreck?  Figures.  I must have been making way too much now.  I shouldn't have even opened the E-mail.  ...

On A Scale Of 1 To 10
Feb 19, 2012

be specific.  Thanks!  ...

Pay Scale 3/6 - I Want A Job Like This...
Jun 04, 2014

Lets see if i make 3/6 a line that comes to   250 x 0.03 = 7.50 an hour  -- wow minimum wage. 150 x 0.06 = 9.00 an hour -- McDonald's wages. At 4/7 250 x 0.04 = 10.00 an hour  - Do you see the different 1 cents makes? 150 x 0.07 = 10.50 an hour   even if you did slightly better and could do 300 lines an hour editing you would only get 9.00 an hour.  So to make any money there, you would have to literally kill yourself.  TTS IS NO GOOD. period end of sto ...

MMEs On Indian MTs
May 04, 2010

Are any other MMEs out there coming across Indian MTs who conveniently leave out portions of dictation, because they don't understand it?  I'm finding words or phrases left out that are completely clear, but a lot of the time is American slang.  Other times, it seems that they make up phrases to fit dictation they don't understand.  Anyone else? ...

Acusis - US Or Indian ?
Aug 03, 2011

Is this company Indian owned or a US company? ...

Has Anyone Actually Seen Indian Work? Is It Really That Bad? Sm
Sep 10, 2011

In the past, it was stated by editors that the work was exceptionally good, except for some terms used more commonly in the US.  I suppose they have more problems on the consults, which is why I've been receiving 15 minute typed consults lately, but at least I have work.  Can anyone objectively state quality of Indian MTs work?  How many here have actually seen the work they produce?        ...

Just A Note On The Indian MTs
Jul 04, 2012

Have been working for a couple of months for a local clinic and there are 2 large hospitals in our area --- one uses in-house transcriptionists and one uses an MTSO.  I can tell without a doubt which reports come from which hospital.  The ones from the in-house MTs look like a user-friendly, readable report, and the MTs initials are readily available at the end of the report.  The quality is exceptional.  I know most of those MTs personally and they all have more than 10 year ...

Indian Accents
Oct 22, 2012

Does anyone have any suggestions to help with transcribing Indian accents?  Are there any special settings on Express Scribe that might help?  Thanks!  ...

Why Can't The Indian MTs Do These Crappy- Sm
Oct 04, 2013

Indian dictators and give me some jobs I can understand that don't have to go to QA!!!! ...

FOCUS PAY SCALE
Feb 11, 2010

I posted this question below but fear it will be buried. To those of you just hired at Focus, how's the pay scale? I currently make 8.5 straight/4.5 editing. Is it comparable to, higher than or lower than that? I'd never ask anyone to divulge their pay scale but I'm trying to get a feel for if it's better than where I'm at.  TIA to anyone willing to give me a ballpark hint here! ...

Webmedx Pay Scale
Mar 19, 2010

Experienced MT looking for new position.  Reading posts seems like Webmedx might be a good choice.  Can anyone give me an idea of earning potential for someone like me with 25+ years experience. Have been working independently for almost 20 years for a private physician who is now retiring and sold the practice to a young computer oriented doctor. Obviously I can see I'll be on my own soon.  Any advice is welcomed! ...

Psych Scale
Jun 23, 2010

The patient completed a PHQ and a s/l lupus Functioning Scale.  Lucas?  Can't document anywhere.  TIA. ...

Pay Scale For Transcription Gone Down?
Sep 13, 2010

Is it just me or has the pay scale for transcription gone down?  More often I'm seeing 8- 8.5 cents per line for independent contractors and 7 cents per line for employees.  Is this just some freak thing lately or is it the norm?  ...

Pay Scale Dropping
Oct 22, 2010

Does anyone else notice the pay scale is dropping for transcription to 7 cpl being standard now??? Was 8 cpl not low enough. Why are we accepting this??? Come on MTSO?  What's up with that?    ...

Incentive Pay Scale
Sep 19, 2011

I am wanting to submit a proposal to my company owner about implementing an incentive-based pay scale to help with some issues we are having with people not working consistently and to reward those who are putting in overtime, etc. I am having a hard time finding any information on this as far as like a sample scale. As far as I understand it you make your base pay say for example 7 cpl for the first x lines, then for the next y lines you make an additional 0.025 cpl and so on up the line... If ...

Transcend Pay Scale. Sm
Oct 10, 2011

I'm thinking of applying to Transcend, but while searching the archives I see posts saying that they only pay 8 cpl for transcription and 4 cpl for VR.  Is this true?  I have over 8 years of experience in acute care and don't want to waste my time if this is the case.  Thanks! ...

MedQuist Pay Scale
Nov 15, 2011

Just got an offer from MedQuist for Tier 2 but at a pay rate of 0.08/line with what is, in my opinion, a difficult work schedule for someone with a young family. Am going to see if they can sweeten the deal but wanted to find out from those of you currently working for them what your experience is with their pay rate.  I currently have 0.11 and 0.145 with other providers but need additional work to cover the nut. What is your experience with the shift work of 12-6 and 4-10? Do you physicall ...

Nuance QA - Does Anyone Know The Pay Scale?
Mar 08, 2012

Does anyone know if Nuance pays their QA staff hourly?  Does anyone know the pay scale? ...

MT Tier Pay Scale
Mar 29, 2012

Hello:   Can anyone tell me if there is a pay scale for each tier on the MModal MQCentral page?  I cannot find anything.    I am interested in having some concrete evidence when I ask for a raise as I am a Tier III being paid at a Tier I level according to what I read on a previous post.   Thanks in advance!! ...

Tier Scale
Jun 03, 2012

What does the Tier III mean for a MME or QA? How many tiers are there? ...

Pain Scale
Jul 05, 2012

Dictator says the patient has significant pain...._________ (s/l gallos) 7/10. Thanks! ...

Function Scale
Jan 31, 2013

For *pain* scale (1-10), i was taught to add the range if not dictated. Example: D: Pain was a 5. T: Pain was a 5/10. I'm not familiar with *function* scale.  This is a spine surgeon. This particular patient is having neck and shoulder issues (if that matters).  Is there a specific *function* scale?  If so, what is the range and do you add it like the pain scale, or do you guys just type as dictated without adding the range? ...

ORACLE PAY SCALE
Feb 01, 2013

Does anyone know what the current straight typing pay scale is?  ...

Pay Scale For IC A Bit Confusing......
Sep 26, 2013

Math was never my forte.  The pay is $1.15 per 1000 characters, 425,000 characters per pay period (part time) required.  I'll be working 20 hours per week.   ...

The Link -- New Pay Scale
May 16, 2014

October isn't going to work for me.   You need to give me back the pay you stole from me before October because the bank won't wait that long.   I will be homeless before that.   What would you like me to do?   Transcribe out of my car and use the gas pedal as my foot pedal?   Get real, Nuance!   How do you think we can make a living on what you pay us?   We were doing just fine until you started robbing us blin ...