A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

With the MT salaries STILL dropping to below minimum sm - SamMT

Posted: Jan 07, 2014

wage and at the same time that insurance costs & deductibles are rising, more and more MTs are now working only for some semblance of (overpriced) insurance ... There is virtually nothing left that can be called "salary".

MT Salaries - Supplement for retired

[ In Reply To ..]
This line of work is now only for MTs who are retired and are on Medicare. I would imagine the majority of MTs are getting to that point and if you need to supplement your SS, then this is the way to go, otherwise, it is not a good job any longer for employees who rely on a "salary" to live! So sad.

can't retire!! - still working

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh please, Medicare is not free. You have to purchase Part B of Medicare and also get a supplemental insurance just to see a doctor and pay for prescriptions. SS is not that much for most of us and we need to work just to exist.

Can't Retire - Still working too

[ In Reply To ..]
I had to take early retirement because I couldn't make it on just MT work. I am still pretty much working almost full time doing transcription with my SS, as it isn't enough to cover living expenses. What I do like though, even though I have to pay for it, is Medicare. No more worries about insurance or companies that provide it or that I have to make a quota to keep it. I agree with the post in the aspect that being an MT has to be a supplemental job in one form or another; not a primary job. It is hard no matter how you slice it, but I do feel a lot less pressure working than I used to. Getting old has to have some perks! Love the Silver Sneakers free pass to gyms and classes too. Hate that I am this age, but hey what are you going to do? Even Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones is 70!
Can never retire - SAME BOAT
[ In Reply To ..]
I also had to take early retirement 2 years ago, which just about covers my rent, nothing else. The recession years took whatever savings I had. I will be eligible for Medicare next year, so I'm not worried to much about insurance, since my low income also qualified me for Medicaid until then.

I started a nursing program earlier in my 30s which I did not complete. If I were younger, I might give it a stab to finish it in a year or 2 ... but WTH ... who would hire a new nurse hitting retirement age? I might get by with a NA or CNA to supplement SS ... but need to get out of MT, too. My hands are really tied (I mean "tired" ... LOL).

Still working - Still working2

[ In Reply To ..]
My SS is $1900 per month.

To cannot retire, purchase part B - I do not pay anything for it

[ In Reply To ..]
I get an increase in my SS this year of a little over $30.00 per month and that will raise it to 2,070 per month, also get $500 per month from former employer. I don't have Medicare, did not want as want to stay on my husband's insurance and do not pay anything for the part B.

Even if retired, do not have to have Medicare - or did you not know that?

[ In Reply To ..]
You can always stay on a private insurance and not accept Medicare with the exception - you have to have part B and that covers in case you are hospitalized and your insurance pays X amount, then the B part picks up what is left over.

I think you mean - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
Part A, which is the hospitalization part that you have paid for with payroll taxes all your working life and for which there is no additional cost to you once you retire/reach age 65.

Part B is the part you have to pay if you want it and which you can choose not to have if you want to continue with private insurance.

I am sure of this because I just finished signing up for Medicare Parts A and B.
I do not pay for part B, nothing - Really do not pay for any insurance
[ In Reply To ..]
I did not want Medicare. I have a PPO with my husband's job and one perk of his job is the free insurance. I had to take part B but I do not pay for it. So, nope do not have to take and nope do not pay for part B.
Medicare reply - Mugs
[ In Reply To ..]
The problem is, Medicare Part B, which costs 108/month does not cover medications. Therefore, you have to sign up for Part D, either HMO or prescription coverage. My prescription coverage went up $20/mo to $48/mo, so I opted for an HMO which is $80/m0. Total insurance is $180/mo. You have to have Part B in order to get Part D coverage. My SS is 1432/mo and I am a widow. Not much to live on.
After retirement age you have to have part B - but private insurance, no cost to you
[ In Reply To ..]
Your reply is IF you are on Medicare. I hope I never have to have it although if husband lost his job I could immediately pick it up. I have had a PPO for so long which is an extremely good insurance that I could not see being turned down for any particular thing I thought might be needed and I had heard Medicare could/would do that. So far have had part B now for about 3 years or so without a cost to me which is okay and would only apply should I be hospitalized and my private not pay all due to the hospital.

My sister gets 1000 a month and the state picks up the rest of her Medicare and supplement - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
it's covered by state Medicaid. She also gets an EBT card.

Similar Messages:

Why Is IC Pay Dropping So Low?
Sep 23, 2010

Traditionally, IC positions have always paid better than employee positions since the IC company doesn't have to bear the employer's cost of taxes, benefits, etc. But, I've noticed lately that companies hiring ICs are offering extremely low pay, usually somewhere between 7 to 8 cpl.  There's a company advertising on the board now for an IC at 7.5 cpl.  I've applied with a few companies recently and with the companies who hire employees, I've been offered ...

Dropping A Zero
Feb 15, 2013

In lab results, should the zero be dropped if dictated?  ex:  ANC 1.0, PST 3.0, etc. ...

Pay Scale Dropping
Oct 22, 2010

Does anyone else notice the pay scale is dropping for transcription to 7 cpl being standard now??? Was 8 cpl not low enough. Why are we accepting this??? Come on MTSO?  What's up with that?    ...

Score Just Keeps Dropping
Aug 21, 2013

No matter how hard I try these days I cannot get my accuracy back to what it has been for years. I always maintained 99% or higher, mostly always right at 100% but now I cannot even get to 98% with everyone they keep marking me off for.  It has gotten ridiculous.  I have never ever had this many reports audited and marked for not having an s at the end of a word.  So disheartening when I feel I am doing so good.  Been at this for a very long time and never had anything like t ...

Benefit Rate Dropping Again
Jan 12, 2010

For those of us that are still hanging on by a thread, did your benefit rate fall?  I just got my letter...lost another $1.  I know that doesn't seem much but over the last few changes I have lost $5...just keeps going down.  I guess I shouldn't care...I have had to use all of my PTO to make up time.  I am probably going to be performance managed (or fired, not sure) because my CCM said we could clock in and out all day to keep from putting in NJA tickets (so we wou ...

Monthly Bonus Dropping
Feb 26, 2010

Has anyone else been seeing a gradual yet substantial drop in monthly bonus amounts?  Anyone know what the "pool" amount is these days or is that still top secret? ...

Belkin Router/VPN Dropping Connect Help
Sep 17, 2011

I transcribe for a large hospital from home through their VPN connection.  I use a router at home, and keep getting disconnected from the VPN, am pretty sure it's the router.  Anyone have any luck with a particular brand of router and VPN, I've heard Linkskys might be better?  My broad band company nor my tech support at work "do not support routers" so if I want to use one, I'm on my own.  Have called Belkin, will call again, but just thought I'd ask on t ...

MT Salaries
Aug 15, 2010

I was looking at the job postings at the local hospital and noticed something very odd.  The hospital here is hiring kitchen aides with no experience or education and the pay offered is $700 a month more than what they are offering for their MT positions.  Kitchen helpers are starting at $2769/month while MTs are starting at $2069.  Something is wrong with that picture.  I was thinking of applying as an MT, but now thinking maybe I should just apply as a kitchen aide.  I ...

Salaries
Oct 13, 2011

I found out today that a local community pays teenagers $11 an hours for temporary summer jobs.  Are you making $11 an hour?  Does an MT with 20 years experience deserve more than a teenager with a summer job?  I still work for MQ because it's just a few hours a week to supplement SS.  If I were younger, I would do anything and everything I could to get the heck out of here. ...

SALARIES OF CCMs
Apr 07, 2012

Just curious but how much money do the CCMs make?  I've never been able to find an answer to this question.  Also, do you have to have a certain number of years transcription experience to be a CCM?  I'm not interested in the position, just curious.  I've also never understood why sometimes communcation with them is bad.  Why do they go for days without sending out emails to the MTs sometimes?    ...

Decrease In MT Salaries.
Sep 24, 2012

Husband just called, was listening to Dave Ramsey - A man called the show and stated his wife's income had decreased by $900/month.  Ramsey was astounded and asked why?  Man explained that his wife was a medical transcriptionist.  It's now been on national radio, not a secret anymore. ...

Coding Salaries
Jan 24, 2015

I say "sorry" in advance if this has been posted before, but I am new to the Coding forum. I plan to get out of MT and go into Coding.  I have decided on The Andrews School.  I have a contact who is the CEO of a remote coding business, and she highly recommended this school. When just quickly talking about salary, she said coders make between 50K to 60K, which would be wonderful.   What I am wondering is ..... are coders paid by production or hourly.  Thanks for any i ...

MT Salaries - Upping The Anty
Feb 28, 2011

I have been an MT for over 25 years - In 1982, I was making 10 cents a line. In 2011, I am making 10 cents a line, which doesn't even include Capital Letters! I have read many posting on this site complaining about lack of income....and what I've realized is WE have sold out our profession by being willing to not demand higher salaries; yes, we have competition from outsourcing companies around the world who are willing to work for peanuts, but with all the new HIPPA rules, etc., this ...

Line Rates - You Can Check Out Salaries Of The CEO, COO, And CFO
Jan 13, 2012

You can check out salaries of the CEO, COO, and CFO of publically traded companies at the securities and exchange commission website.   It will open your eyes and now that we are all working for what we did in the 80's, you will find we have more in common with the unwashed masses of the OWS movement than we thought.  ...

Nuance Exec Salaries (formerly Transcend)
Oct 02, 2012

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/858452/000119312512123549/d317599dex99d5.htm   ...

Check Out 2011 Executive Salaries
Aug 13, 2014

Poor Mr. Davenport only earned a little over 3 million.  So sad.  I guess my giving up eating was worth it.   http://www1.salary.com/MMODAL-INC-Executive-Salaries.html ...

Former Transcend MTs--don't Miss The Exec Salaries Posts Below
Oct 03, 2012

Doesn't this just make you sick--Sue Mc stays at Nuance for $295,000 per year plus bonuses, stock, and perks.  Larry G gets a severance package after end of year for $347,000 to include perks and 18 months of COBRA.  And we're making less than ever!!!!!   ...

Do You Think That As The Economy Improves That Industry Wide Salaries Will Begin To Improve?
Sep 22, 2010

I know and accept the fact (albeit grudgingly) that ASR and offshoring are the wave of the future, but do you think that as the economy improves that things will cycle and what we do will once again become valued with the recognition of our value being reflected in higher salaries?  Or do you think that the unhappy reality is that regardless of the economy salaries will either remain stagnant or continue to trend downward? Thanks in advance for your input. ...

New LPH Minimum
Dec 04, 2014

New (converted) LPH minimum is 100. Which means 200 lph if you do mostly editing. ...

Minimum Lph.
Apr 01, 2015

Does anyone know what the minimum lph is now? ...

Minimum Lines Per Day
Jan 11, 2010

I asked this question already on the company board, but I ask it also on this board: What do companies do if an MT turns in 98% accurate work, or above, but does not transcribe the minimum lines per day, as an employee? Does this MT always get fired, or how do companies handle this? TIA ...

What Happens When You Get Less Than Minimum Wage?
Mar 14, 2010

I'm worried if I suffer another .03 cent decrease I may drop below minimum wage.  How do we indicate that to somebody?  Is it calculated per pay period - or what? ...

Minimum Requirements?
Apr 21, 2010

I've worked for MQ before, just before CBay bought MQ, but I can't remember (and maybe it's changed) what is the minimum number of hours or lines required per week?  I thought it was something like 2000 lines per week.  Is the minimum per hour still 100 lph for PT? Also, what's the pay rate for VR now?  I think it was still 70% when I left.  Is it 50% or 60% of your regular line rate? I'm just looking for something very part-time, like 10 hours ...

LPH Minimum. Be Sure To Keep Track Of All Those
Jul 16, 2013

a job to upload. All those add up and if you don't clock out for them it will go against your LPH and make a difference in your assessments.  ...

Minimum Wage In MA And MUP
Nov 20, 2013

Massachusetts may well pass a minimum wage of $11 (over 3 years).  It's passed the state senate.  Parts of WA (Seatac) actually have a $15 minimum wage.  Wonder what Nuance will do about MUP now, since so many in those states will be getting it.  Could get interesting.  ...

DC Minimum Wage
Dec 18, 2013

Okay, so I read by 2015, DC wants minimum wage to be $11.50 an hour. I'm assuming by that time Nuance will make our minimum line count reflect this increase - approximately 280 lph, especially since WE NEVER GET A RAISE. ...

Help! Can't Make Minimum LPH
Oct 21, 2014

My primary account is a straight typing account. I can't consistently make the minimum line count of 150 lph in our 8 hours. I use my shorthand and as many normals as i can, but I'm making no money. How is everyone doing this? Plus for VR it's only 180 lph. Seems like actually typing the lph should be lower. Someone please tell me how to get enough lines in!! Would quit in a heartbeat if I could, but a little pay is better than no pay, though I am still looking. ...

Minimum Wage?
Oct 29, 2014

just wondering if anyone knows...is there any kind of rule for paying you a minimum wage if your income with MM drops below the minimum wage? ...

At Least Got Minimum Wage
Dec 17, 2014

Bottom line is, regardless of the new pay rules, it's hard to even make above minimum wage before or after the new rules. So at least federal law guarantees minimum wage. Beyond that, my goal is to get out of this field and leave this MTSO company ASAP, though it won't happen overnight. ...

Minimum Wage
Jan 25, 2015

A $15.00 minimum wage would equate to 375 lines per hour at .04 per line. That's 3000 lines a day for an 8 hour day! The best I have ever done was 2700 lines editing in an 8 hour day and that was only once and someplace where I had been doing the same doctors for 6 years. Guess I would get fired for always getting MUP. And by the way, that's 428 lines per hour (3424 lines per day) at .035 per line and 500 lines per hour at 0.03 (4000 lines per day). If more cities raise the ...