A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Partial unemployment - work starts to dwindle - Me

Posted: Jun 01, 2013

If you are hired to work a 40 hour week and the work starts to dwindle, does anyone know when you can contact unemployment to collect partial unemployment...have also asked for a secondary account and have not heard a word back...am going on 3 weeks of not getting in my full 40 hours and am so frustrated...am in NJ, if anyone has any info...thanks so much!

UNEMPLOYMENT - PAL

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you an IC? If so, probably no unemployment insurance has been paid. I doubt seriously if you can collect anything. If you are paid hourly I still doubt it. Maybe in NJ the rules are different but here in florida, no way.

Must be employee status - work less than 40 hours

[ In Reply To ..]
I just filed in Oregon.
-- Have to work less than 40 hours a week.
-- Have to earn less than your weekly benefit. (mine is a whoppin 350 a week).

It is good to apply if you think you might need it. If you wait until you have a long time of low work, your benefit drops. You can apply and lock in a rate for 12 months (was told this by UE person when I called and was applying/inquiring).

I was an IC and collected UE - UE office felt I was misclassified

[ In Reply To ..]
So, it depends. Even as an IC, you can apply and see if they misclassified you.

who is "they"? - me

[ In Reply To ..]
What do you mean by they misclassified you. Please give more detail as to what you mean. thanks

Unemployment - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Here is my whopping unemployment check, 168/week. I worked at Nuance, hired to work full time, but because there was hardly any work, I had so little pay that when I got terminated after 3 years, (long story), I only qualified for 168/week (BEFORE taxes). Now, because of the sequestration, my second tier will only be about 150/week. I can't find a job and I can't afford to pay my "bundle" payment of 136.00 in order to find a job on the internet. They made me commit to two more years in order to take off 30 dollars when I was paying 173 dollars a month a couple of months ago.

??? - what???

[ In Reply To ..]
please explain more clearly. what "bundle" payment are you speaking of???
Probably means her cable bill with - internet as part of
[ In Reply To ..]
the "bundle" of services.

So go back to them and explain the situation - chances are good they will work with you

[ In Reply To ..]
Comcast has a unit, whose name escapes me right now (and I'm assuming you have Comcast, but probably TimeWarner has the same thing) which basically has the ability to keep customers no matter what they have to do. If you go to them, explain that you were laid off and need to keep the internet and cancel everything else, they will work with you, I'd be willing to bet.

Get rid of the TV, get rid of the phone. Get a Tracfone. They have phones you can buy for $10 and then get double minutes so every time you buy 30 minutes you get 60. I don't talk on the phone much so this was a godsend for me rather than a monthly payment. It wasn't the greatest phone on the planet, but it worked and it was CHEAP. You can live without pay TV for a long time - again, I did the same thing when I was laid off a couple of years ago. If you have internet, you can watch your shows on the network website or on Youtube or Hulu. There are lots and lots of options.

Good luck to you. I've been where you are and it's scary. Sending you best wishes for a job very quickly.
Thank you - me
[ In Reply To ..]
I will call them tomorrow, its Cox Cable, yes bundle is phone, internet and TV. At the time I got it, I was working but now all I need is the internet and hopefully no phone. But I doubt these people will help me. They won't believe me and probably won't do anything for me. If it was that easy to just tell them you lost your job or don't have enough money, everyone would be doing it. But I will persist. I will let you know what they say on tomorrow's posting after I talk to them.

Similar Messages:

Partial Unemployment?
Feb 16, 2010

Anyone had luck in getting partial unemployment as a PT employee?  I have a record of all NJA which does not happen every day but at least a few times each month. ...

Has Anyone Applied For Partial Unemployment
Jul 17, 2010

Has anyone applied for partial unemployment and if so, were you able to get it?  All I ever get is NJA and I'll be damned if I am going to use all my PTO or sit by this computer 24/7.  I do not get up and do things as I should - I sit by this computer and constantly log into  DQS.  I must be nuts but MQ made me this way.  Thanks for any info!! ...

Is It Really Possible To Qualify For Partial Unemployment?
Oct 10, 2010

By year's end, I will have made about half of what I normally make working the same number of FT hours.  I've read suggestions on here to apply for partial UI, which could probably save my behind - I'm not sure how much longer I can pay the rent and not sure where me and kids would go.  However, is it really possible to qualify for that considering the nature of our work, paid by production?  Could'nt it be argued (wrongly so!!) that we just slacked off and did ...

To Those Who Have Filed For Partial Unemployment
Nov 01, 2012

I briefly looked over the website for unemployment in my state (Texas) and find it very confusing.  Did you go to an office to do this?  Also what info do I need to have available for filing?  Believe me, I've been job hunting for 2+ years.  I've had a couple of interviews but so far no hire.  I'm almost to the point I would work in housekeeping just to get a steady job!!!!!!  Thanks for any help you can give. ...

Filing For Partial Unemployment
Mar 22, 2013

Any advice?  I was shy over 8 hours last week due to OOW (towards end of pay period, so no way to catch it up) and over 10 hours this week now (my last scheduled day was yesterday, and I'll be checking in to see if I can catch up some today on my day off, which won't be 10 hours, of course).   Is there generally a certain number of hours, rate of pay, etc., that one has to be shy of actual scheduled in order to qualify?  I understand it may be different from state to st ...

Is It Possible To Collect Partial Unemployment?
Jan 07, 2014

I've heard this before, but was unable to find anything about it ... I live in Georgia.  I went through all my PTO over the holidays because of NJA, and now it's the beginning of the week and I'm already 4 hours down.  What good does it do to "work" on holidays, when there's never any work?  I guess they just can't stand paying that holiday pay ... I'm so depressed right now and my first check of 2014 that I will get on Friday is going to be horrible. ...

Partial Unemployment In New York State?
Sep 06, 2012

Has anyone ever applied for and received partial unemployment in New York state? I looked at their unemployment benefits website and it looks like if you work at all in a day you are considered to have worked that day and you can only get partial unemployment if you work less than 4 days a week? I have been struggling with very low work or no work for weeks now. I was hoping that I could apply for partial unemployment, but I'm not sure how I would qualify. TIA! ...

Partial Unemployment - Company With Not Enough Work
Apr 22, 2013

I hope everyone at this company with not enough work is aware that you can file for partial unemployment.  I knew nothing about this until last year at another job.  You can file to receive partial benefits if you don't work all your hours due to lack of work.  ...

Punished For Filing For Partial Unemployment?
Jul 28, 2013

I'm thinking about applying for partial unemployment. The only thing holding me back is i'm afraid I will get retalation from the company or even get fired. I'm afraid that I will be out of a job completely without having anything else lined up. I've had maybe 2-3 hours a day of work if i'm lucky for going on a week now, and i'm really worried about paying my bills. I have been applying for other jobs in the meantime as well. I would love to hear anyone's exper ...

Partial Unemployment ? - If You Work For A Company In A Different State Sm
Aug 05, 2011

than you live in which state would you file for benefits in?  Thanks! ...

Any Partial UE (or Laid Off) MTs Having Trouble Getting Paid Unemployment?
Sep 13, 2013

CA just changed computer systems and 1000s of workers haven't been paid.  It's a mess and getting media attention now.  My paper claim was lost and payment is being delayed.  If you think MTs are grumpy on forums, you should see the UE forum crowd.  lol   Anyway, I'm not panicking yet, but hopefully it gets cleared and I'm paid by next month. ...

Is Filing For Partial Unemployment Due To Lack Of Work
Jul 23, 2014

A good way to just get yourself booted?  Would most companies tell you to get lost if you end up filing for partial? ...

Is MT Starts Not Well Known?
May 28, 2010

Currently it says there are 161 visitors online.  Of all the MTs in the US this just seems like such a smalllllll number.  I know it gets up to like 320 that is the most I have seen EVER, and I have been on this board for a couple years (with some longer periods of absence for some reason)... Just wondering why there aren't more people?  I mean, not that I think there should be, I never have enough time to read any of the posts as it is haha...   ...

And So It Starts
Jun 29, 2014

I have a bad feeling about this one.  Some of you may "know" me, i am here once in a while, have been for a few years.  I am coder at a very large facility in midwest and have been for years. Last year our hospital installed Computer Assisted Coding and we are implementing it in stages.  First we used the annotated fields just to help identifying things that may/may not need to be coded.  Then we started getting suggested codes to go with the annotated information.  Then ...

Can Anyone Tell Me When PTO Accrual Starts?
Aug 11, 2010

I thought in training I was told that it started accruing immediately (full time/full benefits), but looking back through my pay stubs, I didn't start accruing it until after I had been with the Q over 5 months. I've been looking on MQCentral, but I can't seem to find the answer.  I would love to know if they owe me back PTO...which would help a lot since I sit here for the third day in a row with no work! Thanks! ...

Here's How My Thursday Starts
Jun 11, 2015

ASR-a is-a stupid-a.  So-a I-a have-a to-a waste-a my-a time-a deleting-a every-a "a"-a because-a heaven-a forbid-a that-a MM-a make-a program-a that-a actually-a WORKS-a.  Hope you all have a better day than me! And that's just the first report-a!  ...

Dr. Starts With A Number At The Beginning, Does This Look Right?
Nov 05, 2009

Sixty percent of the symptoms are on the right, relative to 40% on the left. ...

What Happens When Obamacare Starts In 2014?
Apr 02, 2011

I was wondering what my fellow MTs think is going to happen starting 2014 when Obamacare kicks in.  I had read an article in the NY Post a while back that 74% of MDs surveyed plan to work part time, retire from medicine, or go in a new direction careerwise.  Do you think we'll see a decrease in work available, even SR editing work?  Do you think that if a great amount of MDs cut back or retire from medicine that would cause our profession to lessen in demand? ...

I Always Worry When A Doc Starts Spelling
Dec 07, 2011

He spelled cytoreduction for me tonight.  That makes me think that someone else misspelled it.    I just worry - in today's climate, if we make enough mistakes will they decide it 's easier to do it themselves if we can't do it right? It's late and I'm rambling, but I do think about this. ...

Since WebClock Starts On 12/22, Does That Mean Pay Week Is From Sat-Fri? Nm
Dec 18, 2012

nm ...

EditScript - Starts To Get Slow
Mar 01, 2014

Lately after I have done a few reports, EditScript starts to get slow.  I hit a key and there is a delay before it does anything.  Not much of a delay, but still delayed enough to slow me down.  Eventually, it gets soo slow that uploading the current report and downloading the next one becomes next to impossible and I have to close it out and reboot the program.  Anyone else experience this or know the problem and a fix?  TIA ...

Lockout Starts For Our Region April 7th-FYI
Mar 29, 2010

Just got the email today regarding the swap board and lockdown of schedule. ...

First Time Right Starts Working In My Area
May 07, 2010

When first time right actually starts working in my area, what kind of message will you get if you try to work outside of your schedule?  Will you be able to log in to DQS/DQM?  Thanks ...

Lockout Starts Tomorrow For Our CCM- North
Jul 12, 2010

I know some of you are on lockdown already and for that you have my utmost sympathy and empathy.  We are supposed to start tomorrow.  There are NO HOURS on the swap board and we have been running into NJA every day since MQ did the management shuffle.  I have my resumes out and took some tests this weekend.  Hopefully I will hear something soon so I can get off this merry-go-round that just isn't merry any longer.  I don't want to worry every wee ...

Doc Starts Sentence With An Abbreviation? How To Capitalize
Oct 11, 2010

The doc starts the sentence with p.r.n., how would this be capitalized? P.r.n. ? P.R.N. ? ("p.r.n. medications for anxiety.") ...

Anytime Mmodal Starts Advertising Job
Oct 18, 2012

openings heavily, repeatedly, on every job site, you can bet the next webcast is going to be a doozy.  They know they're about to deliver bad news & many will quit in disgust.  That seems to have held true this time again. ...

Please Read Another One Below That Starts Ask Your Supervisor If Your Work
Sep 24, 2014

Please read back some weeks and months to get a feel for where we have been with Nuance!  ...

My Personal Favorite Is The One That Starts Sure Don't Mean To Scare You
Sep 24, 2014

No conscience, this LG, hired to slash, and slash she is good at! l shudder to recount all the I.D. numbers I've seen come and go from her matrices. If you were just switched to one of her accounts, beware, there is only one reason for that! She is on the AB (COM) team last I knew.  ...

Nuance New Fiscal Year Starts Oct 1, That's Why They Sm
Sep 26, 2014

want all the accounts bottomed out over this weekend.  Work done prior to Oct 1 counts as revenue for current fiscal year. ...

Word To The Wise - If Your Work Starts To Trickle Down
Sep 19, 2014

You'd better be looking very quickly for a new job, because you may all of a sudden find yourself locked out of the system with no warning, no inkling of what's going on at all, no idea there is or was any sort of problem, nothing. No matter how nice you think your MTSO or manager is,  open your eyes if you notice anything amiss at all and do it fast.  Don't keep all your eggs in one basket,  I'm very glad I didn't.   If at all possible, pleas ...