A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is it really possible to qualify for partial unemployment? - Kiki1

Posted: Oct 10, 2010

By year's end, I will have made about half of what I normally make working the same number of FT hours.  I've read suggestions on here to apply for partial UI, which could probably save my behind - I'm not sure how much longer I can pay the rent and not sure where me and kids would go.  However, is it really possible to qualify for that considering the nature of our work, paid by production?  Could'nt it be argued (wrongly so!!) that we just slacked off and didn't produce as much, which it WOULD look like on paystubs...produced less lines.  Not sure how to get around explaining it's because of tons of unfamiliar work/NJA and so on.......it's not so cut and dry.  Any advice from anyone who knows anything about this would be so GREATLY appreciated. 

YES! I did it...sm - mb

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in Michigan. I got so frustrated back in January that there was no work, so I went online and applied for unemployment. All I had to do was put down how much money I had made for X number of months before then (sorry, I can't remember the exact time period) and it showed that indeed my income had gone down and a couple weeks later I got a letter in the mail saying I was approved! I work part-time and they approved me for $160 a week but I don't actually get that much after reporting my earnings, it's more like $40 a week but every little bit helps at this point.

Yes, it is. - And depending on the state you

[ In Reply To ..]
live in, MQ may be REQUIRED by law to file a claim FOR you.

I live in North Carolina. The only way for me to get partial unemployment is for MQ to file on my behalf as I am considered an "attached worker." Each state will vary as to if you can file yourself or if MQ will have to do it on your behalf.

This should have been done some time ago (it is the law) and it was never done. I took it upon myself to send a lengthy email to HR explaining this with documentation from the Employment Security Commission website. Then, I sent an email to the director of Unemployment Insurance informing him that my employer was violating my state law and that I was not certain that they would be quick to act to rectify the situation so I wanted to make the ESC aware. I am probably owed back UI benefits, in fact, I know I am.

As far as proving that your hours have been cut due to NJA, you have proof of that. Ticket numbers, emails, and so on and so on. I have documentation in droves. Getting partial unemployment (or full benefits if they decide to fire me because they get sick of me since they owe me PTO they have neglected to pay me) will not be an issue because I can prove that my reduction in production is NOT my fault.

Any and all emails regarding tickets due to NJA, lack of work, communications to/from CCM, HR, payroll, etc. regarding low work, etc. I always forward to my personal email account so I can print them out if/when I need to and/or forward them on to any government agency that needs to see them.

Good luck!

Thank you.. That gives me hope.... I do have - Kiki1

[ In Reply To ..]
plenty of ammo in the form of emails stating no work, low work, and to please make up your time later only to find there is still no work.......

I got it in Minnesota--nm - pattypan

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Do You Qualify For Unemployment Compensation?
Jan 12, 2012

The other day I was getting a bit nervous, so I checked - there's certain dollar amounts required over a certain time period, so this is something you might want to check into - I get the feeling the next couple of years might be a bumpy ride (bumpier ride) for a few of us, transitioning "out."  And I want out.  So the time to check into all this is well before you get laid off (if possible).  Or you have to quit, but are still eligible for unemployment because of the REASON ...

Qualify For Unemployment If Taken Over And Decline Offer?
Aug 20, 2010

If a regular employer decides to outsource you to an MTSO and you are offered a position but declined to go, does that make you ineligible for unemployment becuase you were offered something? i.e., not a straight layoff?  I don't think they will "guarantee" our old pay of course...since it is production....Or is that all up to the company that is letting you go (what they say when unemployment contacts them?)  ...

Partial Unemployment?
Feb 16, 2010

Anyone had luck in getting partial unemployment as a PT employee?  I have a record of all NJA which does not happen every day but at least a few times each month. ...

Has Anyone Applied For Partial Unemployment
Jul 17, 2010

Has anyone applied for partial unemployment and if so, were you able to get it?  All I ever get is NJA and I'll be damned if I am going to use all my PTO or sit by this computer 24/7.  I do not get up and do things as I should - I sit by this computer and constantly log into  DQS.  I must be nuts but MQ made me this way.  Thanks for any info!! ...

To Those Who Have Filed For Partial Unemployment
Nov 01, 2012

I briefly looked over the website for unemployment in my state (Texas) and find it very confusing.  Did you go to an office to do this?  Also what info do I need to have available for filing?  Believe me, I've been job hunting for 2+ years.  I've had a couple of interviews but so far no hire.  I'm almost to the point I would work in housekeeping just to get a steady job!!!!!!  Thanks for any help you can give. ...

Filing For Partial Unemployment
Mar 22, 2013

Any advice?  I was shy over 8 hours last week due to OOW (towards end of pay period, so no way to catch it up) and over 10 hours this week now (my last scheduled day was yesterday, and I'll be checking in to see if I can catch up some today on my day off, which won't be 10 hours, of course).   Is there generally a certain number of hours, rate of pay, etc., that one has to be shy of actual scheduled in order to qualify?  I understand it may be different from state to st ...

Is It Possible To Collect Partial Unemployment?
Jan 07, 2014

I've heard this before, but was unable to find anything about it ... I live in Georgia.  I went through all my PTO over the holidays because of NJA, and now it's the beginning of the week and I'm already 4 hours down.  What good does it do to "work" on holidays, when there's never any work?  I guess they just can't stand paying that holiday pay ... I'm so depressed right now and my first check of 2014 that I will get on Friday is going to be horrible. ...

Partial Unemployment In New York State?
Sep 06, 2012

Has anyone ever applied for and received partial unemployment in New York state? I looked at their unemployment benefits website and it looks like if you work at all in a day you are considered to have worked that day and you can only get partial unemployment if you work less than 4 days a week? I have been struggling with very low work or no work for weeks now. I was hoping that I could apply for partial unemployment, but I'm not sure how I would qualify. TIA! ...

Partial Unemployment - Company With Not Enough Work
Apr 22, 2013

I hope everyone at this company with not enough work is aware that you can file for partial unemployment.  I knew nothing about this until last year at another job.  You can file to receive partial benefits if you don't work all your hours due to lack of work.  ...

Punished For Filing For Partial Unemployment?
Jul 28, 2013

I'm thinking about applying for partial unemployment. The only thing holding me back is i'm afraid I will get retalation from the company or even get fired. I'm afraid that I will be out of a job completely without having anything else lined up. I've had maybe 2-3 hours a day of work if i'm lucky for going on a week now, and i'm really worried about paying my bills. I have been applying for other jobs in the meantime as well. I would love to hear anyone's exper ...

Partial Unemployment ? - If You Work For A Company In A Different State Sm
Aug 05, 2011

than you live in which state would you file for benefits in?  Thanks! ...

Partial Unemployment - Work Starts To Dwindle
Jun 01, 2013

If you are hired to work a 40 hour week and the work starts to dwindle, does anyone know when you can contact unemployment to collect partial unemployment...have also asked for a secondary account and have not heard a word back...am going on 3 weeks of not getting in my full 40 hours and am so frustrated...am in NJ, if anyone has any info...thanks so much! ...

Any Partial UE (or Laid Off) MTs Having Trouble Getting Paid Unemployment?
Sep 13, 2013

CA just changed computer systems and 1000s of workers haven't been paid.  It's a mess and getting media attention now.  My paper claim was lost and payment is being delayed.  If you think MTs are grumpy on forums, you should see the UE forum crowd.  lol   Anyway, I'm not panicking yet, but hopefully it gets cleared and I'm paid by next month. ...

Is Filing For Partial Unemployment Due To Lack Of Work
Jul 23, 2014

A good way to just get yourself booted?  Would most companies tell you to get lost if you end up filing for partial? ...

No Self-esteem, What Else Do I Qualify For?
Aug 23, 2013

I was laid off in March after 6 years subcontracting with a small MTSO.   The drop in work was sudden, when the main client switched to a point and click system.   I am mad at myself that I had not gone ahead and started planning for another career.  I have found a part-time manual labor job, and have gone back to school and get financial aid, but it is not enough.  I am a single mom and have had to ask my parents for help several times, and my step father told me y ...

I Can't Qualify For Health Insurance With A VR Job
May 03, 2011

This is my first VR job. I cannot make enough lines to qualify for health insurance on it. This is the first time I have ever had this problem. I could easily exceed my line count with a straight typing job. The only way I could meet line count now is if I blaze through the jobs without proofreading and put out bad-quality jobs. I wouldn't even be able to get up to stretch my legs ever. I'd have to cut my lunch down to 30 minutes. And even then I'd be about 1000 to ...

For The First Time, I Qualify For EIC Because Of MM Wages
Mar 30, 2013

Guess I have sunk to a new low. With ASR and NJA, I have joined the working poor. Can't wait until I finish school and get out of here. My wage is less than when I started MT 25 years ago. Just trying to hold on until I finish school. ...

Has Anyone At SS Ever Had Enough Work To Qualify And/or Stayed Long Enough Sm
Mar 13, 2011

to receive the 3-month and 6-month installments of the signon bonus?   I could not get enough lines so I never qualified for benefits or the bonus.  (It actually is based on hours worked, but if you do less than 135 lines/hour you get fired, so if you work 8 hours and only have 200 lines that shift, you have to lie and say you only worked an hour or whatever.)  I'm just curious.  I see they are still advertising, although at least they no longer promise they ha ...

Did Anyone Qualify For Or Get Notice Of The Quartery Bonus Yet?
Apr 05, 2013

I asked HR and was told that we would get an email by the end of this week regarding the quarterly bonuses. It's Friday afternoon. Anybody get an email yet? ...

Apparently I Qualify For Their Health Insurance.
Jul 03, 2013

I also am wondering how much would be taken out of my check for the health insurance for just myself. Thanks! ...

FIESA - Was Able To Qualify For The Quarterly Bonus
Jul 11, 2014

and in spite of every obstacle known to man thrown in my face, I was able to qualify for the quarterly bonus. Does anyone know when it will be paid out? ...

I Qualify For Unemployement Due To My Line Rate Being Reduced.
Apr 15, 2015

Took copies of all documentation in to local state employment office and it is fair grounds for quitting since my overall pay has been reduced again.  Doing a happy dance and getting ready to have time for a full time job search andtesting. :D ...

Independent Contractor - Must Have Flexible Schedule To Qualify For IC Status
Mar 11, 2010

I am thinking about pursuing a job as an independent contractor as I am retired and want something to do more than the money (retired hospital transcriptionist). It is my understanding that an IC must have flexible schedule to qualify for IC status, yet the job ads specify second and third shift as well as weekend days. Can they do this? I know the government is cracking down on ICs to make sure they are truly ICs (we all know the transcription companies will do everything to preserve their bo ...

Making So Little With N That I Qualify For $121 A Month In Food Stamps As Individual. In FL. NM
May 30, 2014

xxxx ...

Partial UE - Let's Try This Again
Jan 24, 2013

I just got off the phone with our local UE office, and the rep informed me that there's no such thing as partial UE in my state (Louisiana). She advised me to ask you all how you answered certain questions when filing your claims, such as "what was your last work date" and "when were you separated from your employer," etc. In other words, did you have to file a regular UE claim, or does your state provide a separate application process for partial UE? I'd hate to file a claim ju ...

No More Partial UE
Aug 28, 2013

Am I correct here that we can no longer collect partial UE because our NJA option for release from work with no pay has been taken away, leaving us ONLY the option to work or take PTO?  How clever of them. ...

Question About Partial UE
Jan 27, 2013

Is there a certain number of hours you have to be out of work each week to qualify for partial UE, or can it be for 6-8 hours per week of NJA?  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Anyone Getting Partial UE And Working At MD-IT?
Feb 22, 2013

I have not had any lines in days after the company I work for swtiched to a rapid reponse team format. My supervisors have not emailed me about the fact that I have not worked at all. I applied for unemplyment insurance the other day to help either until the lines comes back in, I can find another job or they fire me. Has anyone else gotten partial unemployment while still being officially employed by an MT company, although making zero dollars while employed? ...

Got My First Partial UE Today
Apr 01, 2013

It is in the form of a debit card and if you don't need the money, you can just leave it on the card or you can dd into a bank acct.  It is not much but I am greatful I have it since I am only part time. It helps out ...

Partial Lack?
Jul 24, 2013

doctor dictates what s/l : Likely left thumb EPL partial lack, does that sound right? ...