A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Paid by dictated minute or by line? sm - qq

Posted: May 09, 2011

Can someone explain the difference to me and the pros and cons of be paid by dictated minute?

Getting paid by the minute is great! - NCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
You get paid for all the pauses, side conversations, burps, ums and uhs. If you can get $1.50 or better, you are doing great!

Getting paid by the line is not bad either, if you can get paid by the "gross line". That means, even if there is only one word on that line, you still get paid for it. You also get paid for all macros, disclaimers, etc. But in order to make good money doing by the line, you need to be making 0.09 or more.

My experience, not my opinion....

And getting paid by the report is great too, but usually only Radiology MTs are paid that way. But $1.50 or better is the only way to make any money that way as well.

Similar Messages:

Is It Better To Get Paid Per Dictated Minute Or Per Line?
Jan 15, 2010

Have an interview on Wednesday and just noticed they pay per dictated minute.  Not sure how that works exactly.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Radiology Paid Per Minute? Is $1/dictated Minute Good, Bad, Average?
Mar 01, 2010

Have 4 years experience.  Mostly acute care/basic 4.   Got a job offer for Radiology using Meditech platform and pay offered is $1 per dictated minute.  This is an IC job.  Haven't done radiology exclusively before and haven't been paid per dictated minute either.  Thoughts? Thanks! ...

Question Regarding Getting Paid Per Dictated Minute...
Sep 30, 2014

I have never gotten paid per dictated minute and just curious what is a good pay range for this.  The account would be straight typing.  Just trying to get an idea.  Thanks for your help! ...

Paid Per Dictated Minute? Can Anyone Shed Light?
May 22, 2012

Can anyone shed any light on getting paid per the audio minute? I have only been paid per line and I can't even fathom how this would compare? Anyone have any experience this way? Please help ladies! Thanks!! ...

Before Nuance, What Was The Highest You Were Paid Per Line/digital Minute/etc.
Oct 07, 2013

I'm just curious, I've been in this business for a long time now and haven't seen a raise in QUITE some time, but I sure as he!! saw higher paychecks than I see here. So, I'm curious. What's the highest rate you've been paid to be an MT? What were your daily requirements too, if you can remember? I'll start, my highest was $2.05 per digital minute and we were only required to do 65 digital minutes per 8-hour shift.  ...

Pay By Dictated Minute-sm
Apr 05, 2011

Anyone get paid by dictated minute -- How profitable is it for you?  Considering options?  is there a catch? ...

$1.20 Per Dictated Minute
Mar 21, 2012

Hi All:    I was looking at a job posting, but they pay as stated above.  I have never worked for anyone that pays like this.  Does anyone know what this would average out to be per line based on 65 space?  It is not Radiology. ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...

Does Anyone Get Paid By The Audio Minute?
Sep 01, 2010

Does anyone get paid by the audio minute?  I am thinking about charging a physician per audio minute because he doesn't want to pay per line.  I was just wondering what would be a good amout to charge for this.  ...

Paid By Audio Minute
Apr 26, 2012

Anyone have any experience being paid by audio minute? I have an offer and want to know the pros and cons if any. Thanks. ...

Being Paid By The Audio Minute Or Page
Oct 13, 2009

Does anyone have a clue on how much is a decent per page rate or per audio minute rate?  I've never been paid either way, so I don't know what is a decent amount.  I have 21 years of experience as an MT.  Thanks! ...

Is It Worth Being Paid By Audio Minute?
Aug 25, 2013

What does 80 cents per audio minute work out to be per line. ...

What Is A Fair Rate Per Audio Minute? Is 0.6 Okay? I've Never Been Paid That Way Before
Apr 05, 2014

nm ...

50 Cents Per Audio Minute? I Remember Being Paid $1.10
Nov 26, 2014

per audio minute (as an employee) and ending up making considerably less than my per line rate, so I requested off that account and back onto a per-line account.  I can't believe these MTSOs now.  I've seen others, 40 cents, 60 cents... as ICs no less.  Unbelievable. ...

Pay By Transcribed Minute Vs Line Rate
Mar 24, 2010

Any comments on compensation by transcribed time (i.e.$1.25/minute) versus per line (i.e. $.09/65 character line with spaces)?  Any actual experience being paid by transcription minute?  Advantages/disadvantages?  Thanks. ...

IC Line Rate Of 9 Cents Per Minute?????
Apr 02, 2010

I have never heard of being paid by minute of dictation. What would you say is fair for an experienced MT doing acute care as an IC? Is 9 cents per minute low, or is it just me? Anyone have any input on this or experience with this type of pay plan? Thanks in advance. ...

Rates Per Line Or Minute In 2012
Oct 29, 2012

What is the current (2012) appropriate rate to charge for medication transcription services, either per line or per minute? ...

Pay By Audio Minute Versus Per Line.
Apr 13, 2013

Good morning.  I am wondering if I should take a job that pays per audio minute or would I make more money doing cpl?  The audio job pays .70 cents per audio minute and the cpl pays .07 cpl.  The audio job will be very part time and I am not sure about the cpl gig.  Thanks so much for your input.  ...

Well, That's Just Great - My 25 Minute Job Is Not Showing Up In My Line Count.
Jul 27, 2013

It showed 3 tries. I thought it uploaded on the 3rd try and went on my dinner break. When I came back to work, I noticed a message that my settings and my job had not uploaded and to sign on again when uploading is back up! The job, of course, did not come back to me. I brought the job # up in the document search in FTT (DQM), but I can't see who the editing is attributed to. Anyone know how to see that? ...

Is $0.90/audio Minute A Good Rate? Always Worked Per Line So Not Sure.
Aug 02, 2013

NM ...

Curious For Those Paid By The "Minute Of Dictation"...
Jul 29, 2011

Just wondering what is the best we can do now days being paid "per minute".... which is not the most fair compensation... ...

New At Being Paid By The Line
Feb 06, 2012

Just curious...what is a good average of lines for 40 hours of work?   I'm used to making at least $25-26 an hour but recently was outsourced and now am getting paid by the line.  ...

I Would Like To Hear From QA Being Paid By The Line.
Jan 06, 2011

I've done QA in the past but it was for an in-house position, paid by the hour.  Production wasn't being monitored at that time and in that situation. Now that I've been working from home as an MT being paid by the line, I'm going back into QA. I'd like to hear your production averages per hour/day/week, what your current rate is or what that averages out to for you an hourly$ basis.  I know it can vary just the same as it does with MT.  Sometimes there ...

Being Paid By The Line As An Employee
Mar 07, 2012

If you are hired as an employee and are required to type a certain number of lines and are paid by the line, how come you cannot work over 8 hours a day.  Makes no sense to me.  ...

Do The Rest Of You Find, Being Paid Only Per Line,
Nov 06, 2009

Another poster stated they only get paid when they type (just like the rest of us).  Since going from per-hour to per line wages, I've been finding it nearly impossible to take any kind of a break whatsoever, whether it be a day off, or an hour break.  I make so little at this, that all I can think of while doing anything other than typing, is how much money am I losing.  Do you, too, start feeling guilty about unchaining yourselves from your desk for even the short ...

Been Paid By The Page As Opposed To By The Line?
Oct 13, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has been paid by the page as opposed to by the line.  If so, what do you think of $1.75 per 1.5 pages of typing and $2.25 for 2 pages of typing...is that too low?  and about what does that average out to, approximately.  (no good with math).  TIA.  ...

Nuance QA Editors Paid By The Line??
Mar 28, 2012

I just saw an ad for QA editor at Nuance.  It looks like they pay by the line, is this is typo or do they actually pay QC by the line? ...

Employee Paid Per Char Per Line?
Nov 16, 2012

Hey all, I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of being hired as an MT on an employee basis and being paid on a character per line instead of hourly basis?  with no benefits.   Thank you for any input....I appreciate it! ...

Does Anyone Work ONLY QA (no Typing, No SR) And Get Paid By Cents Per Line
Jul 26, 2010

This is probably a dumb question, but please no snide remarks.  If you do not have any constructive comments, please move on.   If you only do QA and are paid by cents per line (NOT hourly), how do you make any money or plan your day.  Are you not dependent on how many reports other Medical Transcriptionists send to QA?  So, if everyone is just spot on and only 1 or 2 reports make it to QA in an hour, how do you make any money?    I saw the ad on the Job Seeker& ...

Line Rate Not Documented In Contrac, Nor How Often Paid
Apr 18, 2011

Or is it just me.    I emailed them to let them know this, just in case they inadvertently left it out, but received email giving me the line rate (which is different from the rate I received from recruiter).  Would you go ahead and sign the contract? ...