A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Employee paid per char per line? - Confused

Posted: Nov 16, 2012

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of being hired as an MT on an employee basis and being paid on a character per line instead of hourly basis?  with no benefits.   Thank you for any input....I appreciate it!

Welcome to the World of MT. Yes, have heard of this, we - live it everyday. Wanna join us? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

there's hourly pay? where? I want that. - always looking NM

[ In Reply To ..]
o

Some places still pay MTs an hourly wage - sm - RadMT2012

[ In Reply To ..]
Before I moved to a different state and had to switch jobs, I was being paid hourly typing radiology reports working from home. There are still places that pay transcriptionists hourly wages, maybe not so many that allow one to work at home, but it happens.

Not only has that become standard, it's also the biggest - scam ever perpetrated on med. transcriptionists. n

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

Are you familiar with M*Modal and Nuance? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If not, they have their own boards over to the left. IMO, they have definitely contributed substantially to the downfall of MTs unless, of course, you live in India.

The pay is $10 per hour, sound good? - Confused

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Doesn't sound like enough to me. - Lisa

[ In Reply To ..]
$10/hour doesn't sound like enough to me, especially with no benefits. I'm an IC and get paid cpl, which works great for me. If you're going with an hourly wage, I would shoot for between $13-$15/hour.

is the job per line or per hour?? - now I am confused

[ In Reply To ..]

If that's what cpl is equal to per hr, she needs - to get faster, thats all. confused too. NM

[ In Reply To ..]

clarification! - Confused

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry about the confusion, that's my usual state of mind! (smile) But yes, right now I get paid $10 per hour and I'm wanting to propose to get paid ...cent per line on a 65 cpl basis as I'd make more money than that, especially if I have a text program too. The question I have is that I'd like to remain being considered an employee, even though I have no benefits, and be paid on a line rate basis instead of hourly. Thus, I was wondering if this is ever done this way. Thank you all for listening and any input....I think I've driven myself crazy going over things!!!!! Have a great night!

My situation - Ayn

[ In Reply To ..]
As an example for you -- Yes, I work directly for a hospital as a full-time employee, I have benefits (insurance, fully vested retirement plan with employer contributions, PTO/sick days, etc), I work from home with equipment provided by the hospital, and I am paid by the line, not hourly.

However, we are soon going to move to speech wreck and I am sure at that time our pay will change in some way. Personally, I am asking them to move to hourly pay and keep it comparable to what we each make now because I refuse to take a pay cut to be an editor.

I think hourly pay is the way to go -- but I also think $10/hour is way way too low and I would not accept that. Depending on what part of the country you are in, etc, I personally would not accept anything less than $17 an hour -- with an incentive/bonus program (for doing more than the minimum lines required) & benefits.

Good luck to you!!

Similar Messages:

Being Paid By The Line As An Employee
Mar 07, 2012

If you are hired as an employee and are required to type a certain number of lines and are paid by the line, how come you cannot work over 8 hours a day.  Makes no sense to me.  ...

Sample Contract For Employee Status Paid Per Line
Dec 15, 2012

The company I transcribe for has agreed to pay me per character line now instead of hourly rate, which is much more productive for me!   Question being, do I submit my line count to them and how do they deduct my taxes still???  Where could I find a company contract for them so that we both understand that I'm still their employee but paid cpl and a flat rate when doing office tasks once in a while?  Thank you for any samples/help. ...

5 Cpl/43 Vbc Only = About 6 Cpl/65 Char W/spaces...sm
Apr 16, 2010

and the explanation is that they are trying to compete with other companies who pay their MTs 2 cpl.  Has anyone seen any companies who pay 2 cpl?  sad, sad, sad... ...

New At Being Paid By The Line
Feb 06, 2012

Just curious...what is a good average of lines for 40 hours of work?   I'm used to making at least $25-26 an hour but recently was outsourced and now am getting paid by the line.  ...

Compare Line Rates Between IC And Employee?
Aug 19, 2014

Can someone please tell me how to compare line rates between IC and employee?  I know IC pays less due to taxes and social security not paid by employer, but if someone could tell me what 8 cpl as an IC really pays, I would really appreciate it.  TIA. ...

I Would Like To Hear From QA Being Paid By The Line.
Jan 06, 2011

I've done QA in the past but it was for an in-house position, paid by the hour.  Production wasn't being monitored at that time and in that situation. Now that I've been working from home as an MT being paid by the line, I'm going back into QA. I'd like to hear your production averages per hour/day/week, what your current rate is or what that averages out to for you an hourly$ basis.  I know it can vary just the same as it does with MT.  Sometimes there ...

Do The Rest Of You Find, Being Paid Only Per Line,
Nov 06, 2009

Another poster stated they only get paid when they type (just like the rest of us).  Since going from per-hour to per line wages, I've been finding it nearly impossible to take any kind of a break whatsoever, whether it be a day off, or an hour break.  I make so little at this, that all I can think of while doing anything other than typing, is how much money am I losing.  Do you, too, start feeling guilty about unchaining yourselves from your desk for even the short ...

Is It Better To Get Paid Per Dictated Minute Or Per Line?
Jan 15, 2010

Have an interview on Wednesday and just noticed they pay per dictated minute.  Not sure how that works exactly.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Paid By Dictated Minute Or By Line? Sm
May 09, 2011

Can someone explain the difference to me and the pros and cons of be paid by dictated minute? ...

Been Paid By The Page As Opposed To By The Line?
Oct 13, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has been paid by the page as opposed to by the line.  If so, what do you think of $1.75 per 1.5 pages of typing and $2.25 for 2 pages of typing...is that too low?  and about what does that average out to, approximately.  (no good with math).  TIA.  ...

Nuance QA Editors Paid By The Line??
Mar 28, 2012

I just saw an ad for QA editor at Nuance.  It looks like they pay by the line, is this is typo or do they actually pay QC by the line? ...

65-char. With Spaces Excluding Blank Lines
Dec 06, 2010

I was offered a job by The Transcription Doctors, Inc. with the pay being 8cpl or 3cpl for editing, 65-characters with spaces excluding blank lines.  My question is ... Is the excluding blank lines part normal or is that super cheap of them?  I know 3cpl for editing is already cheap...Do most companies include even blank lines?  I hope someone knows...Thank you. ...

Does Anyone Work ONLY QA (no Typing, No SR) And Get Paid By Cents Per Line
Jul 26, 2010

This is probably a dumb question, but please no snide remarks.  If you do not have any constructive comments, please move on.   If you only do QA and are paid by cents per line (NOT hourly), how do you make any money or plan your day.  Are you not dependent on how many reports other Medical Transcriptionists send to QA?  So, if everyone is just spot on and only 1 or 2 reports make it to QA in an hour, how do you make any money?    I saw the ad on the Job Seeker& ...

Line Rate Not Documented In Contrac, Nor How Often Paid
Apr 18, 2011

Or is it just me.    I emailed them to let them know this, just in case they inadvertently left it out, but received email giving me the line rate (which is different from the rate I received from recruiter).  Would you go ahead and sign the contract? ...

Experienced MTs; Paid By The Line Or By The Audio Hour?
Jun 11, 2013

I've been an MT for over 5 years and have always been paid by the line. I would think that most MTs preferred wage is to be paid a set amount per hour.  If this were not an option, what has given you more of an income, paid by the line or by the AUDIO hour?  What I'm currently being offered per audio hour comes out to less than what I was paid per line at my previous job, but the reports are easier to understand so it may be worth it.  It is basically both ...

Before Nuance, What Was The Highest You Were Paid Per Line/digital Minute/etc.
Oct 07, 2013

I'm just curious, I've been in this business for a long time now and haven't seen a raise in QUITE some time, but I sure as he!! saw higher paychecks than I see here. So, I'm curious. What's the highest rate you've been paid to be an MT? What were your daily requirements too, if you can remember? I'll start, my highest was $2.05 per digital minute and we were only required to do 65 digital minutes per 8-hour shift.  ...

Anyone Heard Of Having To Post Line Count In Fiesa Daily To Be Paid?
Sep 18, 2013

I switched to a new account and this is how the TSM keeps track. Where do I post this?   Never had to do this before.  In fact, I never even looked at Fiesa. ...

Statutory Employee Vs. Traditional Employee Status Inquiry
Oct 10, 2013

I'm seeing more and more job postings for statutory employee status.  I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate line rate request equivalent would be since I would be responsible for withholding income taxes.  For example if the traditional employee line rate is 8 cpl for transcription what would I need to request for statutory status?  The same or more? ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...

Former Nuance Employee Now Has To Become Employee Again
Mar 11, 2014

Has anyone else left Nuance for another company only to have to return after acquisition? Were you just reinstated or did you have to start fresh from day 1 again? ...

MT Line Became A 65-character Line Instead Of A Gross Line?
Feb 21, 2015

Does anyone remember when, and why, an MT line became a 65-character line instead of a gross line? And what company was responsible for this, if any? ...

Is There A Difference Between A Sylvan 65 Character Line And Using The Line Count In Word - Sm
Jun 15, 2012

to divide by 65 to get the number of lines??? Thanks. ...

Okay, If You Were Making .04/line With VR But Offered 08/line With Transcription . . . Unlimited Amt
Apr 22, 2010

I do have some benefits with the VR job, but not good enough to even take them on right now.  After 3 months I will start accruing PTO up to 12 days a year.  Is it worth it?  I was thinking having benefits would be really nice for once in the last 16 years, but now I am thinking it may not be worth the struggle to make a living on VR.  They said the platform for transcription is chartnet or chartscript?  What do you all think? ...

LINE RATES - A Company That Offers 7.6 Cpl On A 50 Character Line
Nov 14, 2010

I am starting with a company that offers 7.6 cpl on a 50 character line.  Is this good and what does it equal money wise on a 65 character line rate?   Thanks in advance. ...

VR Line Count - What Kind Of Line Production Should I Shoot For
Mar 24, 2011

I was just hired on with a company to do strictly VR. I am only going to be working part time so about 4 hours a day. I am wondering from those who do VR what kind of line production should I shoot for in 4 hours of work? What is the normal VR line count for part time? I have read that most who are working full time or 8 hours a day are doing more than 1,000, even 2,000 a day. The company I will be working for wants a minimum of 10,000 lines in a payperiod which the lady said even with part time ...

Gross Line Versus 65 Character Line
Aug 19, 2010

Anyone know if 5 cents per gross line is good or not? Better than 10 cents a 65 character line??   A company is offering this to me & says that at least 1/2 of every report is templated but you still get paid for it.  I make 10 cents a 65 character line with the company I work for at this time.  Please advise so I can make a decision to test or not with them.  ...

Line Counting Software - 65 Characters Per Line
Sep 29, 2010

I need help with a software line counting program.  Excel is acceptable, but I am not sure how to use that aspect.  Any help would be appreciated.  This is for 65 characters per line with no spaces.  Can't that be done in Microsoft Word as well? ...

Line Rate For 65 Printable Character Line
Jul 19, 2011

When a company states a line rate for  a "65 printable character line" does that mean they do not pay for spaces?    I saw an ad saying they pay the highest in the business, which was about 8.5 cents for 65 printable character line.  That to me says without spaces, as it is not a printable character, so that would be a horrible rate surely not one of the best in the business.  Wonder why there is no respect for our thumbs !!!!   ...

IT And Line Counts Vs Other Line Count Programs
Oct 24, 2011

I would like opinions about the IT (Instant Text) line count program? Do you find it user friendly? Are there other programs preferred/easier? Any suggestions or opinions? TIA. ...

MTSOs - Why Anyone Would Do VR For 0.03 Per Line Or Straight Transcription For 0.07 Per Line
Mar 13, 2012

It's beyond me why anyone would do VR for 0.03 per line or straight transcription for 0.07 per line, even 0.08 stinks.  Are we all that desperate to let these companies get away with not paying a living wage?  It's outrageous.  As long as MTs send their resumes to these companies and apply for these positions, the longer it will take to bring us back to the pay level we deserve.   At this point, i'd rather starve then sell my soul to the devil. ...