A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Line rate not documented in Contrac, nor how often paid - Does that sound suspicious

Posted: Apr 18, 2011

Or is it just me.    I emailed them to let them know this, just in case they inadvertently left it out, but received email giving me the line rate (which is different from the rate I received from recruiter).  Would you go ahead and sign the contract?

What difference does it make what WE would do? - contractural MT

[ In Reply To ..]
What will YOU do? Are you comfortable signing a contract that doesn't have this in it? Are you an employee or a contractor? If you're a contractor, write up your own contract and submit it to them and include the information you need it to.

Gooood night, take a Prozac and Chill out - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

No, I wouldn't sign it. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I would not sign a contract that did not include pay rate and pay period information. I certainly wouldn't sign with a company whose recruiter told me one thing and then someone else told me something different. If they straighten it all out and put it in writing, I would consider it - but I'd read the rest of the contract pretty closely. Too many companies out there cheating the MTs.

If I liked their line rate, yes. If it were lower than - the recruiter stated, I'd

[ In Reply To ..]
use that to negotiate their offer up. I would then e-mail them my understanding of the line rate we agreed on (and the pay period) as of the hire date, asking to them to let me know if these were not correct and printing out a copy. That's all--just enough to confirm you're all on the same page going in. As for the future, they have the right to change both at any time, and you have the right to quit if you don't like the new terms.

I wouldn't touch this job with a 10-foot pole. - sweetgirlsmom

[ In Reply To ..]
Honest companies are specific up front. You know exactly what the pay is and when it will arrive. Dishonest companies are vague and can say later "That's not what you agreed to."

Actually, it's standard not to write a rate into the - contract, for employee MTs anyway. That is becaus

[ In Reply To ..]
as I mentioned before, companies have, and cherish, the right to change rates "at will." My own employee contract is posted on the company website and is the same for all people doing my job. In my desk drawer is only the letter they sent after I accepted their offer on the phone.

In any case, OP's company apparently covered both items in discussion. OP can always request a letter confirming the accepted offer if they don't automatically send one themselves, just probably shouldn't require they contract to hold that rate for the duration of her employment if she wants that job.

I have always been an employee. - sweetgirlsmom

[ In Reply To ..]
My current job and previous job both hired "at will" with a rate agreed on by phone followed by a paper confirmation of the same rate. Both jobs later lowered my pay rate. That amounts to a change in contract.

My research at a legal library (for another matter) showed that any contract can be changed at any time with consent of both parties. (There are probably exceptions for specific situations, but generally it is legal to change a contract). I don't know what would happen if the employee said no to the lower rate.

My concern is that the initial offer was vague with no set rate and no set payday. That's why I would avoid that company.

Your last line was very interesting. Our experiences are different and I appreciate learning something new.

wow, never had pay go down as employee, that is strange. never had - a contract as employee, only as an IC.
[ In Reply To ..]
~

Similar Messages:

Line Rate Pay Versus Audio Minute Rate Pay
Mar 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me if line rate pay is comparable to getting paid by the audio minute? Is 0.50 or 1.00 normal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Piece Rate/line Rate
Apr 19, 2012

Would someone please tell me what the "piece rate" is on the check stub - and where does it show line rate?  Thank you. ...

Getting Paid 10 Cpl To Edit. Is This A Good Rate?
Jul 01, 2013

I'm getting paid 10cpl to edit. Is this a good rate? Spaces are not included. Thanks! ...

Line Rate For 65 Printable Character Line
Jul 19, 2011

When a company states a line rate for  a "65 printable character line" does that mean they do not pay for spaces?    I saw an ad saying they pay the highest in the business, which was about 8.5 cents for 65 printable character line.  That to me says without spaces, as it is not a printable character, so that would be a horrible rate surely not one of the best in the business.  Wonder why there is no respect for our thumbs !!!!   ...

Do We Get Paid Our Full Hourly Rate For Down Time
Jan 12, 2013

Do we get paid our full hourly rate for down time? ...

What Is A Fair Rate Per Audio Minute? Is 0.6 Okay? I've Never Been Paid That Way Before
Apr 05, 2014

nm ...

What Is Average Hourly Rate Paid By Major Healthcare System
Oct 26, 2011

for transcriptionists.  Always been paid by line count production and now I am looking at an hourly rate.  Company won't tell me pay rate until interview.  Afraid that it will only be like $10 an hour and don't want to bother with interview if it will be too low.  ...

New At Being Paid By The Line
Feb 06, 2012

Just curious...what is a good average of lines for 40 hours of work?   I'm used to making at least $25-26 an hour but recently was outsourced and now am getting paid by the line.  ...

I Would Like To Hear From QA Being Paid By The Line.
Jan 06, 2011

I've done QA in the past but it was for an in-house position, paid by the hour.  Production wasn't being monitored at that time and in that situation. Now that I've been working from home as an MT being paid by the line, I'm going back into QA. I'd like to hear your production averages per hour/day/week, what your current rate is or what that averages out to for you an hourly$ basis.  I know it can vary just the same as it does with MT.  Sometimes there ...

Being Paid By The Line As An Employee
Mar 07, 2012

If you are hired as an employee and are required to type a certain number of lines and are paid by the line, how come you cannot work over 8 hours a day.  Makes no sense to me.  ...

CBC Documented Total White Count Of 14.4 ...
Dec 29, 2012

with a predominance of neutrophils.  *Beta count* normal.  Hemoglobin in the normal range. Serum electrolytes completely unremarkable ...

Per Line Rate
Oct 13, 2009

Is it typical to be paid a higher per line rate with a clinic account or a hospital account? ...

PT Line Rate Cut
Nov 25, 2009

I  know a lot of us wonder what the reason is for PT status MTs to lose 1/2 cpl.  We have been told that it is because at some point we could possibly switch to FT.  If our bank, where we have our checking and savings accounts would send us a letter telling us that starting next month we would have to start paying $200 per month for our house payment, even though we do not own a house, but this was just in case some day we might, I think we would all tell that bank they were nuts ...

LINE RATE FOR VR?
Nov 03, 2010

Hi.  I used to work for MQ when they started VR.  The original pay cut was 20% of CPL.  I know it is much lower now.  What are they currently paying for VR.  Not interested in coming back but just curious.  I left when they took away our primary accounts and started to send us reports from God Knows Where...Each report from a different account.  Do they still do that also?  Thanks in advance. ...

Rate Per Line
Nov 09, 2010

does anyone know what the going rate for line count (not character) is?  someone is wanting to hire me for $.03 per line and i thought that was robbery ...

ASR Line Rate?
Feb 04, 2012

I was told that if they have to keep supplementing your paychecks to get you to mini wage then they will have to take action.  What is the logic here?  On the accounts that I work on I have yet to break 160 lines an hour and mostly stay around 150. I swear it just can't be done.  All I get is ASR.... so here is the math... 150X.04 (I think) = $6.40 The requirement to keep my job is only 120, so really I am doing 40 more lines than I should.  Here is what I need to ...

VR Line Rate
Apr 05, 2012

The company is moving over the VR.  Currently I am paid 9.5 cents a line for straight typing.  Can anyone tell me what would be an equivalent line rate in VR? I appreciate any input.  Thank you. ...

$$ Line Rate For VR?
Feb 25, 2013

Can someone please tell me the variables for VR line rate?? Highest amount per line anyone is making? I have been offered .045, is this average or low? ...

Line Rate?
Mar 20, 2014

I just got laid off after 9 years of getting paid by the hour.  At the end I was making $12.50 per hour that was with a large pay cut I got last year.   I have no clue of what is a good line rate and how much that approximately equals per hour.  I have read posts saying people are making mininum wage.  What rate should I look for and how much per hour would that be for part time work? ...

QA/QC 0% And 0.07 Line Rate? Why?
Dec 17, 2014

I am Ambulatory.  My time card says my QA and QC are 0% and my line rate is 0.07.  What???  Like someone else who posted on here, I only have 1 score in FIESA from back in the beginning of December, and that score was 100%. Does anyone have any insight into why my line rate is 0.07 and why my QA and QC are 0%??  Anybody else in Ambulatory seeing the same on their time cards??     ...

QA Line Rate
Jan 01, 2015

Does anyone know what the going pay rate is for QA lines?  Is it normal to get hired into a company as QA, or could it possibly be an MT position and they just want to pay me slave wages?  I do have 15 years' experience, but wanted to make sure this is possible. ...

What Is The Line Rate At SS?
Feb 08, 2015

I'm down to 2 companies left and SS is one of them. Tried all the rest I care to. I've always hesitated to fill out their application because I thought it was ridiculous for just an application. I'm surprised they don't ask when you were weaned or potty trained! Anyway, I'd appreciate an honest answer. Thanks. ...

TTS Line Rate
Feb 18, 2015

The last I heard TTS was paying .0342 CPL for editing.  Is this still the case?   I tried to calculate extra for headers that I understand TTS pays for, but that would only amount to about $1.65 per day, not even enough for a box of Top Ramen!   I'm curious if anyone has insisted on more.   Also interested in what you think of the platform used for oncology. Thanks for any info!  ...

Do The Rest Of You Find, Being Paid Only Per Line,
Nov 06, 2009

Another poster stated they only get paid when they type (just like the rest of us).  Since going from per-hour to per line wages, I've been finding it nearly impossible to take any kind of a break whatsoever, whether it be a day off, or an hour break.  I make so little at this, that all I can think of while doing anything other than typing, is how much money am I losing.  Do you, too, start feeling guilty about unchaining yourselves from your desk for even the short ...

Is It Better To Get Paid Per Dictated Minute Or Per Line?
Jan 15, 2010

Have an interview on Wednesday and just noticed they pay per dictated minute.  Not sure how that works exactly.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Paid By Dictated Minute Or By Line? Sm
May 09, 2011

Can someone explain the difference to me and the pros and cons of be paid by dictated minute? ...

Been Paid By The Page As Opposed To By The Line?
Oct 13, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has been paid by the page as opposed to by the line.  If so, what do you think of $1.75 per 1.5 pages of typing and $2.25 for 2 pages of typing...is that too low?  and about what does that average out to, approximately.  (no good with math).  TIA.  ...

Nuance QA Editors Paid By The Line??
Mar 28, 2012

I just saw an ad for QA editor at Nuance.  It looks like they pay by the line, is this is typo or do they actually pay QC by the line? ...

Employee Paid Per Char Per Line?
Nov 16, 2012

Hey all, I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of being hired as an MT on an employee basis and being paid on a character per line instead of hourly basis?  with no benefits.   Thank you for any input....I appreciate it! ...

Fair Line Rate For SC
Jan 04, 2010

I am starting up my own MT Business and want to make sure I am not over/under charging.  I was thinking 12 cents a line.  Is this too much/too little? I am currently working for a MT business and I am making 8 cents a line but that company is located in Virginia so I cannot really use them as  comparison of what to charge the doctor's offices.  Please advise! ...