A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Before Nuance, what was the highest you were paid per line/digital minute/etc. - CuriousMT

Posted: Oct 07, 2013

I'm just curious, I've been in this business for a long time now and haven't seen a raise in QUITE some time, but I sure as he!! saw higher paychecks than I see here.

So, I'm curious. What's the highest rate you've been paid to be an MT? What were your daily requirements too, if you can remember?

I'll start, my highest was $2.05 per digital minute and we were only required to do 65 digital minutes per 8-hour shift. 

Highest paid - U. Wren

[ In Reply To ..]
The highest I was ever paid was $25.00 hourly. Things have changed quite a little bit, especially with this company.

Highest Paid - Fussy

[ In Reply To ..]
13 cents a line, spaces included. I sure miss it!

HIghest Paid - PasMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Highest was 10.5/line including spaces... It usually equaled out to about $21/hour.... I also had actual paid holidays without working, 6 sick days per year & 2 personal days... That all went to hell in a hand-basket. Now I can't afford anything. You get sick, you're out of luck, etc., etc. This profession sucks!
$3.50 page now - for radiology
[ In Reply To ..]
averaging $60/hr after Nuance (on same account just not working for Nuance any more). In 1995, $4.50 per referral letter, $5.00 per legal size sticky paper office notes and initial consultation reports.
HIGHEST PAID - ziggy
[ In Reply To ..]
To $3.50 page now for radiology - Where the heck do you get that much? That is awesome! I've been a radiology MT for 15 years and do not make that! Granted I've made pretty darn close sometimes in the past when the economy was good and standards were different but not recently! Wish I could join you - Kudos to you!!! :)
It's the hospital I worked at for years. - for radiology
[ In Reply To ..]
They were so disgusted with the poor quality of reports, "QA" who really didn't want to learn the specs and would forward everything to the transcription coordinator at the hospital and then disappear, that they called me back per diem. The person who recommended me is a manager and used to be an MT in the 80s and 90s and convinced them that's what I was worth. Definitely not the norm!
Benefits - CuriousMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, in addition to the rate I posted above ($2.05), I got full benefits (GOOD benefits that included profit sharing, etc.) Started out with 2 weeks of paid vacation and 1 week of sick time on top of that. If the clinic was closed, we were too (Holidays), but were actually paid for them. And our rate of pay for holiday, vacation, etc was usually quite good, as well! Oh, and if someone died, they gave you more than 1 day off! I had direct contact with the physicians I was typing for, and could get real feedback about my work instead of this crap where I get an e-mail because the doctor mumbled a weight of 182, or was it 192? and that's considered a MAJOR error. You know, because those 10 pounds could kill a patient. But I wouldn't have made that mistake because I was typing into the chart, where I had access to the intake sheet, etc.

Sorry, this has gotten off topic. My intention was just to see where we all were before becoming 4/8 or 4.5/9 CPL slaves.

I know one thing, though I had a really great wage before, I didn't see a raise for about 7 years before the end. I still find it funny that we get paid about 8 CPL as an industry standard for transcription... but how long has that been industry standard? Over 10 years for most people.

What are they going to do when minimum wage finally goes us again? Even if it's raised to $9 an hour, that would mean a minimum LPH of 225. There are quite a few people who struggle with 18 (which really depends on the account).

Just my 4 cents.

Cannot remember exact amounts but--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember being able to make $45K a year at Edix, I was working full time then at 37 hours a week. There was a weekend and evening differential. I rarely even had to work the full 37 hours because my line counts were high. One, I was motivated and I also had a good account. The problem is not only the line rate but crap work you do at that rate.

.0958 cpl for all straight transcription - nm - YD

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

About 0.0925 - however, ...sm

[ In Reply To ..]
was paid for CC's, headers, and 2 spaces; used a lot of templates because I had mostly the same dictators, not 100's like now; audio quality was better (pre cellphone usage). Making a decent line count was not a struggle as it is now for me. A clunky platform certainly does not help. Hard to make a living here, so looking to get out now.

12 cents a line per 65 characters - broke

[ In Reply To ..]
Also, I had another straight MT job that paid 17.65 an hour, then at the end of my performance year I got bonus depending on my overall performance scores which were usually between $400-$500. Man I loved that job, the insurance was wonderful and I was up to 3 weeks a year vacation...ah the good old days.

cannot remember the exact pay per line - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
But I averaged 22-23 bucks an hour, had great insurance, worked at home on MY OWN SCHEDULE. As long as you got 40 hours a week, didn't matter what hours you worked. HELPFUL feedback, great supervisor, always available, great company with paid time off, sick days, funeral days.

Those days are never coming back, but I miss them.

Been transcribing 20+ years and what a mess MTSOs have made out of this job.

HAPPY TO NO LONGER BE AN MT - ProMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Having been an MT for over 30 years, and having enjoyed every minute of it up until the last 5+ years, I have now happily resigned and am pursuing another career because I am BETTER than the pay and other harassment the MTSOs are doling out now. I have often wondered what the effects would be if all MTs were to "strike" for 1 day or demand higher wages and better benefits. After giving it some very intelligent and intellectual thought, my feelings are that all medical institutions and MTSOs would just pursue their option of outsourcing everything overseas. It has been a great career, again up until the last several years, and again I will not allow them to diminish my salary or chastise me on my ability. Good luck to all of you who wish to continue down the MT path or are stuck with no means of escape. Hopefully, one day, you will again be appreciated and respected for the type of work you do.

Would you be willing to share what you are doing now? I am still trying to figure out the best - Stuck

[ In Reply To ..]
area to move into that would use my skill set or at least be enjoyable. I cannot afford to retire any time soon, but I don't really have the luxury of going back to school for 4 years now either. I wish I could, so many other avenues I would love to explore.

14 cpl, as IC - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Those were the days! It was a hospital account, easy dictators, easy money, all info entered counted, spaces paid. That was in the early 1990s sigh,how far we have dropped.

11.5 c/line - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

When I worked for K-Force - Former Traveling MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I made $20-$25/hour plus $30-40 per diem (including travel days and weekends when on assignment.) My hotel was paid for (usually Marriott's or Hampton's) as well as my airfare, rental car & gas, plus medical, dental, PTO, disability insurance, etc. They would fly me home and back every 3 weeks so I could take care of personal business when on long assignments. I did this for several years, it dried up after Obama was elected and rammed Obamacare through. Things have definitely gone downhill since then.

Obama and Obamacare? Really? - CuriousMT

[ In Reply To ..]
You blame that on Obama and Obamacare? He was left with the biggest debt and budget deficit in the history of the US, has brought us out of both of those (while trying to tie up loose ends of a war costing us millions/billions each day), and he finally tries to take control of our out of control healthcare system where someone without insurance can go to the doctor and receive indigent care, but I'm barely making more than minimum wage, have a $2500 deductible, and still have to pay 20% of what's left after the deductible, but I can't apply for indigent or a discount because I "have insurance."

One of the reasons hospitals are having to cut costs and lay people off is to pay for all the people coming in with no health insurance. I'm not saying those people are mooching or anything of the sort, I understand that most of them genuinely cannot afford insurance... but we're talking basic human rights. If a child in your church has leukemia, do you not have a fundraiser to help that child's medical bills and such? What if a single mother of a child with leukemia was working 2 jobs, one of which meant she couldn't attend church because she HAD to work one weekend day, and Saturday wasn't an option, so she didn't have a church to rally behind her. But because her employers kept her just under the minimum amount to qualify for health insurance, or even if she did and had a huge deductible, then she'd be in the same place!

So, my point is that NONE of this has to do with Obama or Obamacare. It has to do with our world as a whole. Not one person, not one party. All of us in this together. Just like our crappy wages as transcriptionists. If we had all banded together somehow in the early days, we wouldn't have let them drive down our wages to that of someone who flips burgers at the local fast food joint!

And I asked how much was the most you were paid per line/digital minute, etc. The job you talked about does NOT sound like you were an MT at all!

NO DOUBT ABOUT YOU STILL DRINKING THE KOOL-AID - SAM

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Yes, I didn't have this bunion either before - Obama was elected

[ In Reply To ..]
Is that an impeachable offense?

it wasn't for an MTSO, that's for sure - braindead

[ In Reply To ..]
definitely when I was still at the hospital, before they outsourced us. About $22/hr with great insurances and low premiums, 3 wk vacation, sick pay, holidays off (or rotating), PM-nights-weekend differential pay, pension, 401B, annual reviews-raises, NOT having to be typing every second in order to be paid, the pleasure of having coworkers nearby, and periodic social events while on the clock - seems like a fantasy now!

Pay - Ed

[ In Reply To ..]
Can't remember, but since being outsourced from the medical center I had been working at for 19 years and offered a job with Nuance 1 year ago, my income has dropped $23,000!

Similar Messages:

Is It Better To Get Paid Per Dictated Minute Or Per Line?
Jan 15, 2010

Have an interview on Wednesday and just noticed they pay per dictated minute.  Not sure how that works exactly.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Paid By Dictated Minute Or By Line? Sm
May 09, 2011

Can someone explain the difference to me and the pros and cons of be paid by dictated minute? ...

Radiology Paid Per Minute? Is $1/dictated Minute Good, Bad, Average?
Mar 01, 2010

Have 4 years experience.  Mostly acute care/basic 4.   Got a job offer for Radiology using Meditech platform and pay offered is $1 per dictated minute.  This is an IC job.  Haven't done radiology exclusively before and haven't been paid per dictated minute either.  Thoughts? Thanks! ...

Nuance QA Editors Paid By The Line??
Mar 28, 2012

I just saw an ad for QA editor at Nuance.  It looks like they pay by the line, is this is typo or do they actually pay QC by the line? ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...

Highest Line Counts....
Jul 19, 2010

My highest line count in a day is 2012.... I am wondering what everyone else's record is and how long it took them to get it ?????  ...

Highest Line Counts
Nov 08, 2010

Please share highest line in 8 hour day with VR, but no normals.  My highest was 2300, but range from 1700 to 2300 usually.  I've been at for about 6 months now and need to know where I should be and where I can potentially be.   Thanks ...

What Is Highest Line Rate For VR???
Apr 14, 2014

I have been an MT for 35 years and just this year my company switched over to VR (M-Modal program).  I am making 4-1/2 cents per line.  Is this average.  How much is the highest line rate a company will pay???  Any help appreciated. ...

Does Anyone Get Paid By The Audio Minute?
Sep 01, 2010

Does anyone get paid by the audio minute?  I am thinking about charging a physician per audio minute because he doesn't want to pay per line.  I was just wondering what would be a good amout to charge for this.  ...

Paid By Audio Minute
Apr 26, 2012

Anyone have any experience being paid by audio minute? I have an offer and want to know the pros and cons if any. Thanks. ...

Being Paid By The Audio Minute Or Page
Oct 13, 2009

Does anyone have a clue on how much is a decent per page rate or per audio minute rate?  I've never been paid either way, so I don't know what is a decent amount.  I have 21 years of experience as an MT.  Thanks! ...

Is It Worth Being Paid By Audio Minute?
Aug 25, 2013

What does 80 cents per audio minute work out to be per line. ...

Question Regarding Getting Paid Per Dictated Minute...
Sep 30, 2014

I have never gotten paid per dictated minute and just curious what is a good pay range for this.  The account would be straight typing.  Just trying to get an idea.  Thanks for your help! ...

Paid Per Dictated Minute? Can Anyone Shed Light?
May 22, 2012

Can anyone shed any light on getting paid per the audio minute? I have only been paid per line and I can't even fathom how this would compare? Anyone have any experience this way? Please help ladies! Thanks!! ...

What Is A Fair Rate Per Audio Minute? Is 0.6 Okay? I've Never Been Paid That Way Before
Apr 05, 2014

nm ...

50 Cents Per Audio Minute? I Remember Being Paid $1.10
Nov 26, 2014

per audio minute (as an employee) and ending up making considerably less than my per line rate, so I requested off that account and back onto a per-line account.  I can't believe these MTSOs now.  I've seen others, 40 cents, 60 cents... as ICs no less.  Unbelievable. ...

Pay By Transcribed Minute Vs Line Rate
Mar 24, 2010

Any comments on compensation by transcribed time (i.e.$1.25/minute) versus per line (i.e. $.09/65 character line with spaces)?  Any actual experience being paid by transcription minute?  Advantages/disadvantages?  Thanks. ...

IC Line Rate Of 9 Cents Per Minute?????
Apr 02, 2010

I have never heard of being paid by minute of dictation. What would you say is fair for an experienced MT doing acute care as an IC? Is 9 cents per minute low, or is it just me? Anyone have any input on this or experience with this type of pay plan? Thanks in advance. ...

Rates Per Line Or Minute In 2012
Oct 29, 2012

What is the current (2012) appropriate rate to charge for medication transcription services, either per line or per minute? ...

Pay By Audio Minute Versus Per Line.
Apr 13, 2013

Good morning.  I am wondering if I should take a job that pays per audio minute or would I make more money doing cpl?  The audio job pays .70 cents per audio minute and the cpl pays .07 cpl.  The audio job will be very part time and I am not sure about the cpl gig.  Thanks so much for your input.  ...

Well, That's Just Great - My 25 Minute Job Is Not Showing Up In My Line Count.
Jul 27, 2013

It showed 3 tries. I thought it uploaded on the 3rd try and went on my dinner break. When I came back to work, I noticed a message that my settings and my job had not uploaded and to sign on again when uploading is back up! The job, of course, did not come back to me. I brought the job # up in the document search in FTT (DQM), but I can't see who the editing is attributed to. Anyone know how to see that? ...

Is $0.90/audio Minute A Good Rate? Always Worked Per Line So Not Sure.
Aug 02, 2013

NM ...

Curious For Those Paid By The "Minute Of Dictation"...
Jul 29, 2011

Just wondering what is the best we can do now days being paid "per minute".... which is not the most fair compensation... ...

New At Being Paid By The Line
Feb 06, 2012

Just curious...what is a good average of lines for 40 hours of work?   I'm used to making at least $25-26 an hour but recently was outsourced and now am getting paid by the line.  ...

I Would Like To Hear From QA Being Paid By The Line.
Jan 06, 2011

I've done QA in the past but it was for an in-house position, paid by the hour.  Production wasn't being monitored at that time and in that situation. Now that I've been working from home as an MT being paid by the line, I'm going back into QA. I'd like to hear your production averages per hour/day/week, what your current rate is or what that averages out to for you an hourly$ basis.  I know it can vary just the same as it does with MT.  Sometimes there ...

Being Paid By The Line As An Employee
Mar 07, 2012

If you are hired as an employee and are required to type a certain number of lines and are paid by the line, how come you cannot work over 8 hours a day.  Makes no sense to me.  ...

Do The Rest Of You Find, Being Paid Only Per Line,
Nov 06, 2009

Another poster stated they only get paid when they type (just like the rest of us).  Since going from per-hour to per line wages, I've been finding it nearly impossible to take any kind of a break whatsoever, whether it be a day off, or an hour break.  I make so little at this, that all I can think of while doing anything other than typing, is how much money am I losing.  Do you, too, start feeling guilty about unchaining yourselves from your desk for even the short ...

Been Paid By The Page As Opposed To By The Line?
Oct 13, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has been paid by the page as opposed to by the line.  If so, what do you think of $1.75 per 1.5 pages of typing and $2.25 for 2 pages of typing...is that too low?  and about what does that average out to, approximately.  (no good with math).  TIA.  ...

Employee Paid Per Char Per Line?
Nov 16, 2012

Hey all, I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of being hired as an MT on an employee basis and being paid on a character per line instead of hourly basis?  with no benefits.   Thank you for any input....I appreciate it! ...

Does Anyone Work ONLY QA (no Typing, No SR) And Get Paid By Cents Per Line
Jul 26, 2010

This is probably a dumb question, but please no snide remarks.  If you do not have any constructive comments, please move on.   If you only do QA and are paid by cents per line (NOT hourly), how do you make any money or plan your day.  Are you not dependent on how many reports other Medical Transcriptionists send to QA?  So, if everyone is just spot on and only 1 or 2 reports make it to QA in an hour, how do you make any money?    I saw the ad on the Job Seeker& ...