A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Paging all Dr. MTs - kidney stone/prostatitis - Viking Fan

Posted: Nov 12, 2009

My husband was having rust colored urine and suprapubic and abdominal pain.  He went to doc who said he had infected prostatitis.  Issue 1 is that he did have an affair some years back and I've read that his kind of prostatitis is kind of rare (about 20%) and this truly could be the case but it also said it could be caused by an STD.  Anyone know anything about this?   I hope it's not syphylis (I can never spell that word right) because symptoms show only at the beginning and later on in life affects your brain.  I'm really angry about what he could have given to me (possibly a death sentence if the girl had AIDS) from that girl whose husband is a raging alcoholic and probably screws half of the white trash in town.  My God, why would he put my life at risk like that?  Argh.  He could have at least fessed up and we both could have gotten tested before resuming anything but instead, he was a coward).  I haven't had any signs or symptoms of anything, it has been about 5 or more years since the affair, and all of my GYN exams have been normal.  Should I be worried?  Perhaps this is a little payback for him - the large kidney stone and having to have his prostate milked my a male nurse practitioner.  Hee hee. 

Secondly, a recent X-ray showed he has a 9 mm. stone lodged in his kidney.  Is this large as far as kidney stones go?  His last one he passed was 4 mm and he said it hurt like crazy.  I assume the preferred method of treatment is still ESWL?  Anyone know specifically how they treat a stone this size?  He's in pain but won't let me call the doctor for any pain meds.  I don't care if he wants to suffer but guess who will be woken up at 3:00 a.m. to take himi to the ER if part of that stone starts to pass and he can't stand the pain?

Anyway, thanks so much for any info you have. 

kidney stones - France

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi - my husband had a few stones, but they passed in the shower, but he was in a lot of pain and had blood clots coming out - He also drinks and had an affair. I got tested for AIDS right away and other STDs that's about all you can do and use condums if you are not comfortable having sex with him. I agree they are cowards, especially when there are children involved. They cannot face their responsibility of having a family. Look and Jon and Kate, I would be a little pushy if I had 8 kids to organize too, he is so immature, trying to go back to his single days, it's too late! Anyway I sympathize and wish you the best for hanging in there, but if it doesn't work get out and don't look back. You deserve better, so do I.

Getting tested for AIDS right away is wrong way to go - Answers

[ In Reply To ..]
The HIV virus can be dorminant for years. It could be in your system and not show up if you decide to go "right away" and get a test, only fooling yourself. As far as the cheating husbands, they do not change, ever. You know the saying, once a cheater......

AIDS tests - Go Vikings

[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, I know the saying about "once a cheater" and he almost always goes out of his way to prove to me that he's been where he said he was going because his admission of the affair was just recent and I think he's trying to regain my trust but that is going to take YEARS, not days, weeks or months.

I know AIDS can lie dormant. My most recent test was at 5 years but I believe I can't consider myself safe until a negative test after 10 years, right?
I probably would be breathing a little easier after 5 years - Answers
[ In Reply To ..]
but to even think you are at risk is a catch your breath moment. I think most who are exposed take the mind of going immediately and having that test and like you and I both know, can be dormant. I probably would think at 10 you could take a really deep breath and consider yourself lucky. I just saw a movie that just came out and in the movie the mother of the teenage girl whose husband/father just died of AIDS saying to the daughter she did not need to be tested because she never had anal sex with her husband. She was just a little more graphic than that but I thought you id,,,,t.

you mean 'dormant'.......nm - aids

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Yes, know how to spell it as in second post but - Answers
[ In Reply To ..]
sometimes on this board just get in a hurry and no spell checker here as in work.

Thanks, France - Viking Fanatic

[ In Reply To ..]
For clarification because this is getting confusing: Hubby will be referred to as K, the girl he had the affair with will be referred to as L and L's husband, well, I don't know his name, so we'll just call him AH.

Thanks so much for your very kind reply, France. My husband rarely drinks. It's the husband of L who is a heavy duty alcoholic (that was their common bond - I was early in recovery with my alcoholism and L's husband was and still is an active alcoholic). L's husband drinks daily, so I have to wonder how often AH has gotten drunk and slept around, with who knows how much white trash, then came home and had sex with L (the one K had the affair with). Then K sleeps with her and comes home to me. Now, K has a genius IQ of 179 - I missed genius by 4 points at 136 but I can live with that. I'm sure the drinking I did lowered my IQ a few more points and some of the shows I watch like South Park and Family Guy lower it a little more but you gotta have fun - LOL. Anyway, I've actually seen his test score and K's IQ truly is 179 - his mother is a massive packrat and keeps EVERYTHING including brochures from our annual fair from decades ago! - eyeroll) Hubby is probably the smartest person I know. Yet he goes out, has an affair with L, where he could have picked up something deadly, passed it along to me without me having a clue, and killed me. Now, how smart is that?

I had suspected the affair (it was short-lived, L lives in another state a good distance away) for quite awhile but didn't know if it was with L or his ex-wife. You see - K went out of town for 2 weeks for work so I decided to do something nice and surprise him. We had just bought a house a couple of years ago and the wallpaper in the kitchen was hideous, and when I tried to pull it off, it came off in small strips. I had to steam the heck out of that stuff. Anyway, I got that off and found the plaster wall underneath was raw and rough, so I went on a hunt for the belt sander. I'm in the basement hunting thru boxes and I wasn't even looking for anything out of the ordinary. I find the belt sander and in the same box was (all gifts from L) a washed and worn pair of boxers with pink pigs on them (Gaudy as hell), one of those washcloth gloves with little puppets on them you would use on a kid, a sex coupon booklet (I didn't even think to look and see if any of them were torn out), and a trinket skeleton key that said "Key To My Heart". The last thing was the kicker - a card in which L referred to him as her lover. And what really sucked was I had taken 2 days off of work so I'd have a long weekend to get the kitchen done. I wanted to start immediately, and ended up finding all this stuff the day he left. I had 2 weeks to stew over it, which is probably good because otherwise, his testicles would probably be inside his body. I certainly was not going to confront him on the phone. I waited until he got home, walked in the door and sat on the couch. Then I threw all of it on his lap. He said L had just wanted to give him gifts and I told him they were inappropriate and asked why the boxers didn't still have the tags on them and had been washed? "Oh, she thought it would be sweet to have them washed and smelling nice for me." Gag. I referred to the card and what she wrote about K being her lover and he said that he had slept with her back in high school and that is why she referred to him as that. I told him I slept with a couple guys in high school and didn't consider either one of them my lover anymore. He refused to admit the affair. I finally did get him to admit it. I have been tested for AIDS, chlamydia and a couple of others but I'm not sure about syphylis. I'm due for my yearly. I think I'll have the entire panel run. If something comes back positive, I'm going to take him for everything he's worth and you know what? If it is syphylis, I ain't gonna tell him. Let him go insane in 25 years. I've remained faithful to him for 18.5 years while he was out at sea most of the year, pulling into exotic ports, spending $1,000 at a time at ports in Brazil, Argentina, Puerto Rico, Italy, etc., for one port call on booze, food, renting cars, renting hotel rooms etc. (we weren't able to have kids so we did have *some* extra money because I always worked full time too but what he spent was outrageous). We also got pics back from his submarine navy voyages and twice he's crap-faced with his arm around an extremely ugly prostitute (two different women, 2 different ports). I wonder what went on there. Dear God, the one in South America looked like a man. During all that, I stayed home, took care of every single problem, worked full time, anxiously awaited his phone calls and basically sat in the house and rotted. You were considered a BAD navy wife if you went out with a group of wives to have a couple drinks and people would start talking, saying you were cheating on your husband (which a relatively good proportionate of them were) so I stayed home, wanting to avoid that gossip. In the last few years, we've discussed divorce twice but went for counseling and we're doing our best to pull it together. And twice, recently, I've started thinking about hiding money again until I have enough to take care of me and my dogs. He loves those 2 pugs as much as I do but he'll never see them again.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I am a recovering alcoholic. I wasn't a practicing alcoholic for that long because along with drinking heavily for about 2-3 years, I was popping Aleve and Tylenol every night to try and avoid a hangover (never really worked). The combo of alcohol and the analgesics brought me down in less than 3 years before I ended up in the hospital with acute pancreatitis (pity patients when you type reports and they have this diagnosis) and alcoholic hepatitis. My blood alcohol level was 0.34. I was on morphine AND Demerol and was still in a lot of pain. I've been sober for 8 years now and I'm glad it was as brief-lived as it was.

I don't know how much your husband drinks but if you need someone to talk to about it, E-mail me. Feel free to ask any questions, even ones like why did I drink and things like that. I'm an open and honest person and like to help people if I can. I can tell you that nobody can despise an alcoholic or addict more than they already despise themselves and that's the reason we start abusing in the first place. I'd be happy to discuss things with you and give you some insight into his drinking, having been there, done that. I have no problem admitting I'm a recovering alcoholic. I had a problem, I fixed it and I maintain my solution by going to meetings every week. I would have a problem if I went out there and did the same stupid thing again.

I never watched Jon and Kate. Were here twins and sextuplets in vitro babies? I hear she came across as a witch but that in no way gives him the right to go and have an affair. I do know two things for sure - 1. I do want to try my darndest to make my marriage work because those bad things happened during some bad times. 2. If I ever get divorced, I will never ever marry again.

Again, thank you so much for your very kind reply and please feel free to E-mail me, even if you just need to vent.

Take care and God Bless!

Well, that is all pretty complicated and confusing but (sm) - Mushroom

[ In Reply To ..]
first of all I'm a Packer fan, but I won't hold that against you! Also have in common that my ex had an affair and of course that whole scenario got very ugly. I really understand you wanting to make your marriage work - I can remember in the distant past saying something to the effect of "if my husband ever cheated on me I'd kill him" or something to that effect - but when it really happened I just begged him to come back. So much for any pride! We actually did get back together for 3 years but then split again.. which was almost harder than the first time.. but you know what? Life goes on, better than ever! I met another guy that I've been married to for almost 20 years, without all the angst. Whatever you decide to do, remember that things always work out, one way or another; but it may not be the way you wanted them to. Best wishes to you, life really should not be so difficult.

Kidney stones - MargoMT

[ In Reply To ..]
That is very unfortunate that your husband had an affair! I am glad you have followed up with a GYN and continue to do so. Get tested for HIV as well! Please, just for your peace of mind. It sounds as though your husband is going to be unable to pass a kidney stone that is 9 mm without medical intervention. Has he been taking any nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories such as opiods, codeine or hydrocodone? If he wants to go the route of non-surgically being treated then he will have to be taking alpha adrenergic blocking agents such as Flomax, Uroxatral, terazosin or doxazosin to reduce muscle tone of the ureter to facilitate stone passage. If not, then medically would be the route for sure. Good Luck and God Bless You!

9 mm kidney stone or 9 mm bullet? LOL - Viking Fan

[ In Reply To ..]
I just had a 5 year HIV test. When should my next one be? Maybe I should just have them yearly or tell him to start wearing the hated condom every time.

My husband's last kidney stone was 4 mm and he passed it but was in agony. He woke up one morning (he was in the navy) with pain in his side. I took him down to the Naval Hospital in Charleston, SC. We waited about 3 hours, he was seen, they told him he had a stomach bug and sent him home (most military medicine is terrible). We're driving down Rivers Ave in Charleston which is something like 10 lanes and he starts punching and kicking the inside of my car. I had seen that behavior before - twice - once when my dad had a bad kidney stone and once when my uncle had one. I knew right then what was wrong. I'm cutting over several lanes of traffic so I can turn around and I was flying back to the NH and dropped him off at the ambulance entrance. He's arguing with me that he'll get into trouble for going in there and I told him I didn't care! They screwed up and now he was in agony. There were 2 paramedics sitting on the tailgate of their ambulance and bless their hearts, both of them got up and helped him into the waiting room while I parked the car. Then we sat in the ER waiting room for another 3 or 4 hours. A corpsman finally comes out to see me, tells me they're running tests, none of which would test for a kidney stone. I looked at him (I was very tired and haggard at the time) and said "Have you even considered doing an IVP? This could be a kidney stone, you know!" He started fumbling his words, saying something like they were considering it. After about hour 5, they finally let me back to see him and then he went for his IVP. He had stones. They sent him home with a massive amount - 90 I think (this was before the DEA started stepping on doctor's necks about prescribing narcotics) of Tylox. He threw up all weekend long and I didn't know better - I thought the Tylox was making him sick. I took him for his follow up appt. that Monday (this started on Friday) and he was literally gray. A real doc saw him and immediately admitted him. He was so septic. They tried to do a basket extraction but the doc said his ureters were so torn up from the stones that they were like tissue paper. They placed 2 double J's and he was in the hospital for about 2 weeks. They were finally able to remove the stone but for some crazy reason, they felt the need to keep a double J in there that was coiled in his bladder and stuck out his penis. He was constantly dribbling urine. The day after discharge, the stent came out on its own while he was voiding. OH, and I forgot - they discharged him on another 100 Tylox. I must have flushed about 170-180 of those down the toilet after he was better. Made the fishies happy!

I asked him yesterday if I could call the doctor for him to see if the doc would call in something for pain because he's been saying it's a constant suprapubic and kidney area pain that he rates at a 7/10. If any part of that stone breaks off and starts moving, he's going to be dying. But no, he said he can deal with it so guess who is going to get woken up to drive him to the ER at 3:00 a.m. if something does happen and he ends up in severe pain? I think I'll tell him to drive himself to the ER. Grrrr. I don't care if he can take the pain right now, he has a documented report of a 9 mm stone and a bad case of prostatitis. I don't think there's harm in calling the doc for a few "just in case" pills. He should at least have the doctor give him a few pain pills in case something happens over the weekend. We're both patients of the same doctor and have been for some time, so they know we're not narcotic seekers (well, I did ask for something for pain when I let that bladder infection go for 10 days without treatment other than OTC Pyridium and ended up with a severe bladder infection, a collection of bladder stones and some kidney stones and he had no issue giving me some Tylenol No. 3. That was a Godsend.

Anyway, I think they're going to do the ESWL. Could he really pass a 9 mm stone using one of the drugs you mentioned in your post? Keep in mind that he has a prostate infection/inflamed prostate so I wonder if that would cause any narrowing.

Thanks so much for all your info and for your blessings. God bless you too. He's already blessed me with all the wonderful, supportive people here!

P.S. Men are pigs!

kidney stone - Metoo

[ In Reply To ..]
Worked with a urologist for several years. I do not know the limit as to how big a stone could be passed, but probably would depend on the person's anatomy. After invasion up the urinary tract, it is not uncommon to leave a catheter or stent in. ESWL can help dissolve the stone so it can be passed. If nothing else, there is always surgery!

Similar Messages:

Kidney Stone Pressure
Jul 18, 2011

The patient has known kidney stones. The doc says . . . . "He compalined of s/l thick-a-ties pressure and pain running down to his left testicle and left flank . . ." ...

Renal Stone, Staghorn, And 6 Mm Low Stone Requiring...
Jun 12, 2010

Renal stone, Staghorn, and 6 mm low stone requiring s/l fis tell and right stent placed. ...

Paging Macro Diva
Jan 19, 2014

Would enjoy talking with Macro Diva about all things macro!  I've written one big macro with which I preprocess virtually all of my transcribed documents.  First, it identifies the document template type, e.g., office note, letter, hospital discharge, echocardiogram, PV study, etc.  It then displays a dialog box with drop-down lists from which I select the ordering physician, dictating physician, date of study, date dictated. etc.  (The date of transcription is, of ...

S/l Box Kidney/boxed Kidney
Feb 02, 2012

The patient was referred for left-sided hydronephrosis and a CT scan was dictated as consistent with a UPJ obstruction.  Upon my review of the films, the picture did not appear to be consistent with a classic UPJ obstruction (it was not a box kidney).   TIA!!! :) ...

Laser Lithotripsy Of Stone
Aug 30, 2010

Could "purchase" be the correct word in this sentence? The stone break-up procedure took much longer than usual due to the positioning of the stone and the difficulty with getting (purchase) on the stone. Thanks so much! ...

ESL Doc - There Is Some Granulation Along The S/l Trach-eo-stone
Jan 31, 2011

x ...

S/L Gold Stone Mass...see More
Mar 25, 2014

Patient with tonsillar cancer.   A (gold stone) mass in the left angle of the jaw is smaller.  ...

Urinary Tract Stone Procedure
Mar 30, 2012

Patient with urinary tract problems.  Doc says, "Patient has had percutaneous stone removal and s/l  "ESAB welll." I'm not sure if I'm hearing the ESAB part right or even the "welll" part. Don't know if it a procedure or a device or neither. Anyone know? ...

Caliceal Or Calyceal Stone, I Have Seen Both Ways, Which Is The
Feb 20, 2013

preferred way. ...

Woo Hoo! Employee Perks Has Rosetta Stone ...
Apr 17, 2015

Wonder if they have MD-SLUR, STAMMER and SLURP edition? Or perhaps ESL levels 1-999? ...

Paging "Siouxzq"....
Mar 06, 2013

In a previous thread titled "What do I do next?," you (Siouxzq) mentioned medical scribing as a possibility.  That thread is old enough that I didn't figure you'd see my question there, so I'm starting this new one. I'm wondering if you are currently working as a scribe, getting training for it, just considering getting the training...or were you just throwing that out as an idea for others?  I haven't seen scribes in popular use yet here in my area of the cou ...

However, By This Time The Stone Then Appeared To Be Very Lateral In S/l *kaylex*?
Apr 26, 2010

. ...

S/l Stone Fragments For Crystal Graft Analysis
Oct 08, 2014

Hi everyone I am doing a laser lithotripsy and stone extraction.  When the doctor mentions the specimen, it sounds like he is saying Specimen: stone fragments for s/l crystal graft analysis.  I would appreciate any input you may have.  this one is driving me nuts... ...

Disc Versus Disk? Back In The Stone Ages When I First Became An MT
Jul 17, 2014

I was told disc when referring to optic discs and disk when referring to the spine.  Then I believe the standard was changed to disc for everything.  I just recently started a new job where I was pinged for using disc in a lumbar steroid injection report by my supervisor who told me to use disk for the spine.  So which is correct?  I can't keep up since they put a new book of style every other year. Thanks! ...

Patient Has Kohler's Disease Of The Right Foot. Whether This Is S/l(stone Na Claps) Stage Or O
Oct 31, 2011

Patient has Kohler's disease of the right foot.  Whether this is s/l(stone na claps) stage or on into the healing stage, it is difficult to ascertain at this point.   TIA ...

Kidney Term
Feb 09, 2010

The cortices show "mamarioli" of normal appearance. Thank you ...

House Of The Kidney?
Dec 05, 2011

This is a kidney transplant report, and the doc says: "A 6 x 12 double-J stent was placed within the ureter up into the (s/)l house of the kidney."  I looked up this term, but I can't find it with Google.  Any suggestions? Thanks! :) ...

Pt Got Bit By Something, Now Is Having Acute Kidney Problems.
Oct 06, 2010

x ...

Kidney Transplant.. Please See Message
Mar 17, 2011

The doc is saying the patient is status post a pediatric s/l envelok kidney transplant.  TIA ...

Drug S/l My-o-the-ti-cal Pt Has Hx Of Htn And Cyst On Kidney
Jan 04, 2012

x ...

Kidney Transplant...please See Message...
Apr 24, 2012

The doc is saying:  The patient experienced a rejection, and we are very pleased that we were able to reverse this with the s/l phoresis/IKIG regimen.  TIA.... ...

Chronic Kidney Disease
May 27, 2013

Doctor is dicating what s/l:  patient was admitted to the (GEM) unit?; the patient has chronic kidney disease..thx ...

Q About Staging Of Chronic Kidney Disease
Jan 15, 2010

Doc dictates "The patient has a history of chronic kidney disease (stage 4 to stage 5) ?!?!  is that how it is transcribed per the BOS II ... I just moved and cannot locate my book for verification. ...

Dough/doh Polycystic Kidney Disease
Apr 08, 2011

Doctor is giving list of diagnoses and says "s/l dough polycystic kidney disease." Does anyone anyone know if there is a distinction among the types of polycystic kidney disease that might sound like dough/doh? I know there is a genetic type, but not sure about anything else.  This doc is notorious for adding nonsensical syllables here and there (why can' he say "um" like everybody else??). Any help would be greatly appreciated.   ...

Kidney Disease Class -- Roman Or Arabic?
Oct 29, 2009

I've seen kidney disease classifications both Arabic and Roman.  Which is correct?  I've been using Arabic, but I just had an editor change a report to Roman.  I'm confused and can't find it in BOS2.  Thanks! ...

A Test For Chronic Kidney Disease. S/l ''P-urea''
Dec 03, 2009

A 57-year-old woman with chronic kidney disease.  In the Plan, dr (soft spoken with heavy accent) says "We will do a (s/l) P-urea or (s/l) Fe-urea.'' ?   Thanks very much for any help. ...

Chronic Kidney Disease Consultation Report
May 15, 2012

which of the 2 is correct: a.) Lasix 60 mg present by EMF b.)Lasix 60 mg present by EMS? ...

Child W/chronic Kidney Disease On Enalapril And S/l SOO TA. Nm
Jul 11, 2014

x ...

OP Note For A Simultaneous Kidney-liver Transplant.
Mar 25, 2015

One patient was being kept alive until the organs could be harvested. The other patient was being prepped for a combined simultaneous kidney-liver transplant. Both reports were very detailed with tons and tons and tons of minutia that I had to ensure made sense. This was dictated by an East Indian man who speaks so fast he makes my head spin. I can guarantee the patient got a very good operative report placed into the chart. I made just over $10 per hour this pay period we signed off on ...

Cystoscopy Question...Position Of The S/l *chorme" Of The Kidney
Apr 29, 2010

and distal  s/l *chrome* of the bladder is working.    Also in same procedure....Patient will require a  s/l "neph" ureterectomy.  ...