A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

House of the kidney? - TK

Posted: Dec 05, 2011

This is a kidney transplant report, and the doc says: "A 6 x 12 double-J stent was placed within the ureter up into the (s/)l house of the kidney." 

I looked up this term, but I can't find it with Google.  Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

can you hear curl in there anywhere? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

No curl - TK

[ In Reply To ..]
Nope. He doesn't say curl anywhere. He's speaking really clearly, but it almost sounds like he says house (or hiaus). Was thinking it was a term similar to hilum.

I'm not sure but here is some good info on the kidney, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The outer skin of the kidney is called the renal capsule (renal refers to the kidney). If you were to slice through a kidney from side to side and open it like the pages of a book, you would see two main parts, a central part and an outer, peripheral part (Figure 2b). The peripheral part consists of the cortex and the medulla, with the medulla consisting of medullary pyramids; the inner, central part consists of a group of tubes (the calyx and the pelvis) that lead out of each pyramid and into the ureter (the tube that drains urine into the bladder).

Within the cortex and the medullary pyramids are found millions of tiny structures called nephrons (Figure 2c). The nephrons are responsible for filtering out of the bloodstream an estimated 43 gallons of water a day- about twice the body's entire weight in fluid - through an intricate network of tubules (little tubes

The shape of a nephron is unique, unmistakable, and admirably suited to its function of producing urine (Figure 2c).It looks a little like a big "mouth" hooked to a really long and winding neck. The "mouth" is filled with what looks like a round lawbreaker that is so big that the "mouth" cannot close! In reality, the nephron is composed of two main parts: the renal corpuscle (the mouth and the jawbreaker) and the renal tubule (the long and winding neck). The "mouth" of the renal corpuscle is actually called Bowman's capsule and the " jawbreaker" is actually called the glomerulus from the Latin word for "small ball" (the plural form is glomeruli). The glomerulus is a network of blood capillaries that is surrounded, first, by a double membrane (the glomerular capsular membrane) and then is surrounded by Bowman's capsule. The renal tubule (the long and winding neck) consists of the proximal tubule (the thick, winding part of the neck that extends just up to where it begins to make a U-turn); the loop of Henle (the thinner part of the neck that actually makes the U-turn); and the distal tubule (the last, thicker part of the neck that travels away from the U-turn, winds all around, and eventually leads into collecting tubules). Now that you are familiar with the structure of the kidney and, in particular, the nephron, let's see how the whole system works to produce urine so that waste products can be removed from the body.

calyx - NM

[ In Reply To ..]

calyx - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Thanks! - TK

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the info and help.
Calyx sounds like house? - Huh?
[ In Reply To ..]
Am I missing something here? Calyx doesn't sound anything like house and vice versa.
you are right about that - BUT
[ In Reply To ..]
having transcribed a lot of urology including transplants, I can vouch there is no such thing as a house in reference to the kidney. The OP's sentence in the original post was enough to decipher the answer as calyx. Sometimes dictation is like that. What you think you hear and what you can document by looking at an anatomy plate may sound different, but there you are. That plus the last part of house does sound like the second syllable in calyx depending on one's accent.
Must be a Yankee thing. - Huh?
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think "lyx" and "house" sound similar at all.

I'm a Southerner, so maybe I just don't have the right "accent."
yankee - ...
[ In Reply To ..]
Of course licks does not sound like house. As an MT, even from the south, certainly you are familiar with speech patterns and how the phonics kind of go soft when words run together.
say it out loud - ...
[ In Reply To ..]
If you say it out loud, you will notice that the throat has to do very similar things to produce the sounds needed to pronounce "the calyx" and "the house".

"house" of the kidney - mnmt
[ In Reply To ..]
Could it perhaps be hilus of the kidney?
Not my throat. - Huh?
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I honestly don't know what you're talking about. Saying "house" and "calyx" aloud produce two very different lingual, labial, and throat responses.
yes, your throat - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
In my post I recommended saying "THE house" and "THE calyx", as this maneuver tends to accentuate the glottal nature of the sound production.

You don't need your lips to pronounce either of these words, so I am astonished by your description of a labial response.

link for - calyx

[ In Reply To ..]
When a patient has a transplant, a stent is placed into the calyx (upper pole versus midpole) through the ureter to empty urine from the kidney to outside the body while the kidney has time to heal.

Similar Messages:

S/l Box Kidney/boxed Kidney
Feb 02, 2012

The patient was referred for left-sided hydronephrosis and a CT scan was dictated as consistent with a UPJ obstruction.  Upon my review of the films, the picture did not appear to be consistent with a classic UPJ obstruction (it was not a box kidney).   TIA!!! :) ...

Kidney Term
Feb 09, 2010

The cortices show "mamarioli" of normal appearance. Thank you ...

Pt Got Bit By Something, Now Is Having Acute Kidney Problems.
Oct 06, 2010

x ...

Kidney Transplant.. Please See Message
Mar 17, 2011

The doc is saying the patient is status post a pediatric s/l envelok kidney transplant.  TIA ...

Kidney Stone Pressure
Jul 18, 2011

The patient has known kidney stones. The doc says . . . . "He compalined of s/l thick-a-ties pressure and pain running down to his left testicle and left flank . . ." ...

Drug S/l My-o-the-ti-cal Pt Has Hx Of Htn And Cyst On Kidney
Jan 04, 2012

x ...

Kidney Transplant...please See Message...
Apr 24, 2012

The doc is saying:  The patient experienced a rejection, and we are very pleased that we were able to reverse this with the s/l phoresis/IKIG regimen.  TIA.... ...

Chronic Kidney Disease
May 27, 2013

Doctor is dicating what s/l:  patient was admitted to the (GEM) unit?; the patient has chronic kidney disease..thx ...

Paging All Dr. MTs - Kidney Stone/prostatitis
Nov 12, 2009

My husband was having rust colored urine and suprapubic and abdominal pain.  He went to doc who said he had infected prostatitis.  Issue 1 is that he did have an affair some years back and I've read that his kind of prostatitis is kind of rare (about 20%) and this truly could be the case but it also said it could be caused by an STD.  Anyone know anything about this?   I hope it's not syphylis (I can never spell that word right) because symptoms ...

Q About Staging Of Chronic Kidney Disease
Jan 15, 2010

Doc dictates "The patient has a history of chronic kidney disease (stage 4 to stage 5) ?!?!  is that how it is transcribed per the BOS II ... I just moved and cannot locate my book for verification. ...

Dough/doh Polycystic Kidney Disease
Apr 08, 2011

Doctor is giving list of diagnoses and says "s/l dough polycystic kidney disease." Does anyone anyone know if there is a distinction among the types of polycystic kidney disease that might sound like dough/doh? I know there is a genetic type, but not sure about anything else.  This doc is notorious for adding nonsensical syllables here and there (why can' he say "um" like everybody else??). Any help would be greatly appreciated.   ...

In-house Job
Oct 14, 2010

I applied for an in-house transcription job in August back at my old pre-MQ hospital.  They decided the work load was too light (they had lost Radiology) and we not going to fill it at that time.  Another position has been vacated and I got a call from a friend that they are definitely filling it this time.  There were only 2 qualified applicants in August.  I am hoping the other person found something great already.  I have my fingers crossed, am nervous, and need ...

In-house Pay?
Nov 09, 2011

I really have no idea if this is fair compensation or not, but I am looking at a job that is an in-house MT job, a 45-minute one-way commute, with full benefits, and the pay is 0.075 cpl.  The job will not come home, and the pay will only increase every year. Any opinions? ...

Does VR Get Better If Kept In-house?
May 16, 2012

Have any of your hospitals purchased a Nuance VR product that they've used for their in-house transcriptionists?  If so, does the VR quality get better and better since you have a limited number of MTs doing the editing?   It's not my hospital but one I know of that's starting with this new product, so I'm not sure of the exact product name.  I've worked for a huge MTSO where the VR never, ever improved in the 9 months I used it; but with soooo many MTs m ...

Kidney Disease Class -- Roman Or Arabic?
Oct 29, 2009

I've seen kidney disease classifications both Arabic and Roman.  Which is correct?  I've been using Arabic, but I just had an editor change a report to Roman.  I'm confused and can't find it in BOS2.  Thanks! ...

A Test For Chronic Kidney Disease. S/l ''P-urea''
Dec 03, 2009

A 57-year-old woman with chronic kidney disease.  In the Plan, dr (soft spoken with heavy accent) says "We will do a (s/l) P-urea or (s/l) Fe-urea.'' ?   Thanks very much for any help. ...

Chronic Kidney Disease Consultation Report
May 15, 2012

which of the 2 is correct: a.) Lasix 60 mg present by EMF b.)Lasix 60 mg present by EMS? ...

Child W/chronic Kidney Disease On Enalapril And S/l SOO TA. Nm
Jul 11, 2014

x ...

OP Note For A Simultaneous Kidney-liver Transplant.
Mar 25, 2015

One patient was being kept alive until the organs could be harvested. The other patient was being prepped for a combined simultaneous kidney-liver transplant. Both reports were very detailed with tons and tons and tons of minutia that I had to ensure made sense. This was dictated by an East Indian man who speaks so fast he makes my head spin. I can guarantee the patient got a very good operative report placed into the chart. I made just over $10 per hour this pay period we signed off on ...

IN-HOUSE RATE
Mar 25, 2010

Have not worked in-house in over 10 years.  What is the ongoing rate for in-house transcriptionist in California. ...

In-house Postings
Aug 06, 2010

I wonder why companies post on internet job sites for in-house employees?  Why don't they just advertise locally in their community paper, etc. ...

Transcription House
Aug 18, 2010

Does anyone know good or bad about Transcription House ? ...

In-house Job Not So Secure
Aug 23, 2010

My job could be in jeopardy because we might be merging with another clinic, and there are no other local in-house MT openings. I've been working in a specialty clinic (in-house) the past 5-1/2 years. Even though I have 5 years of acute care/radiology experience and 1 year of multi-specialty clinic, and even though I took the M-TEC course and graduated with 98% about 3 years ago, it doesn't matter because I don't have recent acute care experience. Okay, I can unders ...

In-house Clinic Pay
Nov 16, 2010

I have an interview with a local eye clinic (there are six surgeons).  Just wondering what kind of salary to expect to be offered or ask for (!), having been paid as a remote MT/VR Editor by production for many years and haven't a clue about salaries in clinics any more.  It is not as an IC but as member of their staff, permanent, full-time, 40 hours a week. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA.   ...

What Do In-house MTs Make?
Sep 09, 2011

Hi!  I was wondering if anyone knew what the going rate for a MT is in house (central KY)?  Do they get paid btl or hourly?     ...

Got An In-house Interview!
Jan 05, 2013

It's for third shift, which doesn't excite me, but from the second Nuance gave me a Christmas 25% pay cut I've been scouring jobs of all shapes and sizes. Imagine my surprise when I found an in-house job advertised looking for a CMT only. I really hope I get it so I can give Nuance the finger, which they will probably be glad about so they can give what little work I have left to India. I've been through several mergers and it's been relatively painless until the latest ...

Anyone In Houston Need F/T In-house? (sm)
Feb 22, 2014

MD Anderson Cancer Care in Houston, TX has an opening for MT F/T IN-HOUSE, with salary $39,500 to $47,400 ($19.53 to 24.68 per hour).  Oncology and CMT preferred.  Go to indeed dot com (illegal to post link on this forum) and search for "oncology transcriptionist" and it will come up with link to apply.  ...

Please, MTs That Still Have In-house Jobs. Do Know That
May 31, 2014

ANYTHING to make sure a sale goes through. They tell the hospital those lies so the hospitals can sell you down the river with no guilt. But those are lies. Things WILL change. Then your choice will be, is your compensation, in your opinion, adequate for the amount of energy you put into this job. ...

From In-house To Nuance
Jun 21, 2014

So, my in-house clinic job was outsourced to Nuance. We have been promised that we will work only on that clinic after moving to Nuance.  It is a huge clinic with a lot of doctors.   Has anybody gone through this that can tell me if they keep their promise on that -- where you continue to type your original clinic work?  ...

Cystoscopy Question...Position Of The S/l *chorme" Of The Kidney
Apr 29, 2010

and distal  s/l *chrome* of the bladder is working.    Also in same procedure....Patient will require a  s/l "neph" ureterectomy.  ...