A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

caliceal or calyceal stone, I have seen both ways, which is the - Nissi

Posted: Feb 20, 2013

preferred way.

do you have a dictionary? - documention versus preferred way

[ In Reply To ..]
Whey you look in the dictionary, you may see references to "SYN", meaning"
1. Together; with: synclonus.
2. United: syncephaly.
3. Same; similar: synteny.
4. At the same time: synesthesia.

That means one of the spellings you gave is documented as acceptable and the other is the correct use.

I could give you the answer today, but you would be a better MT tomorrow if you understand how to read a dictionary.

I give you the online Steadham dictionary to discover how to research words:

Believe me, the thrill of finding the correct answer that helps you be the MT in demand is greater than complaining that someone did the research for you instead of being unprepared for failure in the career you are/have choosing/chosen.

That dictionary requires a paid subscription. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

you can get one at a library for free - no excuse

[ In Reply To ..]
There is absolutely no excuse for working as a medical transcriptionist and not have access to a medical dictionary. None. Nada. Zilch. That was the link to one way to research the question to get documentation rather than opinions. No excuse.

omg! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
are you serious? I have never, ever subscribed to a dictionary. Even if you don't own a medical dictionary, online resources are abundant and free if you understand how to use them - which is more than unlikely if you don't know how to use a dictionary. I picked up my Dorland's Illustrated at a library sale for $1.00. You don't belong in this field if you scoff at dictionaries. What are you going to do, memorize every available word by rote?

try this for free - sm

[ In Reply To ..]

unbelievable - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you can go online but don't know how to research, get out of MT while you can.
The "paid subscription" post wasn't by the OP, if that's what you're - thinking. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your concern, but I have references and know how to research. I don't, however, guide people to any need-to-pay site when I supply help and links.

Nissi, I'd say go with caliceal. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
This is one of the more confusing preferred vs. acceptable medical spellings because the form calyx (vs. calix) often seems preferred (on Google, etc.), and even my own Stedman's GI & GU vs. Stedman's Electronic Medical Dictionary show conflicting results for caliceal/calyceal in terms of preferred, but SEMD does have this to say about calix.

"calix, pl. calices

This spelling, based on the Latin word derived from Greek kalyx, is prefered to calyx.

Syn: calyx."

I would recommend getting either a hardbound or electronic Dorland's (my preference, but don't have one myself right now) or Stedman's Dictionary since there are no longer any decent free medical dictionaries online after Dorland's/Merck went to paid only too. See below for about the only decent free online dictionary for MTs, at least for finding syndromes/diseases and such (wildcard search available), but not so much for telling preferred vs. acceptable, e.g.

milk-of magnesia or Milk-of-Magnesia, capitalized? NM - MT52

[ In Reply To ..]
thanks

capitalized, no hyphens - per Nursing 2010 Drug Handbook - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

milk of magnesia (not a brand name), Phillips' Milk of Magnesia - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Do not capitalize the generic MOM unless preceded by a brand name.

Sources:
Quick Look Electronic Drug Reference
Saunders Pharmaceutical Word Book

Pretty sad when someone asks for - help and gets

[ In Reply To ..]
everyone on a rant geeesh either answer her question or don't--get over it.

After all, isn't that what this board is supposed to be for "word help"

I can understand not answering test questions and those are always obvious and even then all you have to do is simply not answer the question, no need to belittle anyone for asking a question.

Similar Messages:

Renal Stone, Staghorn, And 6 Mm Low Stone Requiring...
Jun 12, 2010

Renal stone, Staghorn, and 6 mm low stone requiring s/l fis tell and right stent placed. ...

Looking For Ways To Make Sure You Don't Get 99%.
Jan 03, 2013

Mark me for missing the word "the" in a sentence??? - and on a dictator who mumbles 100 miles per hour? ...

Does It Work Both Ways?
Mar 28, 2014

Just wondering if those of you who oppose offshoring would work for a foreign company?  I know of some MTs who work for Australian company Ozescribe - they have MTs in Australia, USA, Canada and Israel plus probably a few other countries.  Isn't that the same as Indians transcribing for US companies? If not, what makes it different?  I'm trying to understand why it's okay for US workers to work for other countries but not the other way around?  Or would it be ...

What Are Some Ways To Increase Productivity? Nm
Apr 17, 2011

x ...

Laser Lithotripsy Of Stone
Aug 30, 2010

Could "purchase" be the correct word in this sentence? The stone break-up procedure took much longer than usual due to the positioning of the stone and the difficulty with getting (purchase) on the stone. Thanks so much! ...

ESL Doc - There Is Some Granulation Along The S/l Trach-eo-stone
Jan 31, 2011

x ...

Kidney Stone Pressure
Jul 18, 2011

The patient has known kidney stones. The doc says . . . . "He compalined of s/l thick-a-ties pressure and pain running down to his left testicle and left flank . . ." ...

S/L Gold Stone Mass...see More
Mar 25, 2014

Patient with tonsillar cancer.   A (gold stone) mass in the left angle of the jaw is smaller.  ...

What Ways Can The Images Be Said At The Start Of A Chest CT?
Jul 20, 2010

What are some ways that a doctor can dictate a chest CT?  I can't understand what she is saying.   It sounds like amiable mirror column images were obtained.  ...

What Are Different Ways To Calculate For Faxing Reports?
Oct 12, 2011

My employer has agreed to pay to have me fax reports to several different facilities.  I have to print out every report I fax (if someone knows a different way, I'm listening)...  so, we're talking time, paper, toner, wear and tear on equipment.....   How are people out there calculating to do that?  My employer hasn't a clue and I'm treading unfamiliar waters?  Any help?? ...

Ha Ha Winning Ways News Letter
Jul 29, 2013

Seriously who cares? Give me work and pay me a decent wage. I don't ask for too much. ...

Paging All Dr. MTs - Kidney Stone/prostatitis
Nov 12, 2009

My husband was having rust colored urine and suprapubic and abdominal pain.  He went to doc who said he had infected prostatitis.  Issue 1 is that he did have an affair some years back and I've read that his kind of prostatitis is kind of rare (about 20%) and this truly could be the case but it also said it could be caused by an STD.  Anyone know anything about this?   I hope it's not syphylis (I can never spell that word right) because symptoms ...

Urinary Tract Stone Procedure
Mar 30, 2012

Patient with urinary tract problems.  Doc says, "Patient has had percutaneous stone removal and s/l  "ESAB welll." I'm not sure if I'm hearing the ESAB part right or even the "welll" part. Don't know if it a procedure or a device or neither. Anyone know? ...

Woo Hoo! Employee Perks Has Rosetta Stone ...
Apr 17, 2015

Wonder if they have MD-SLUR, STAMMER and SLURP edition? Or perhaps ESL levels 1-999? ...

Pt Scores Himself As A 13 Out Of 15 On S/l AY-WAYS Score With Urinary Incontinence. Nm
Jun 10, 2010

:) ...

What Ways Can I Continue To Grow In Skills After Graduating?
Jul 13, 2010

Hello fellow MT's! I am almost finished with my MT course, and I would like some counsel from everyone on their experiences with continuing education after graduation. First I am going to go for my RMT as recommended by the ADHI. What tools and resources did you use that helped? Which ones do you recommend? Has anyone gotten a degree to enhance their knowledge, and if so, what degree? I have recently been discharged after 8 yrs in the Army and I have been studying in my ...

Is Rhomboid Flap Capitalized. I Can Find It Both Ways!
Oct 13, 2011

xx ...

I Wonder If The Two Year Coding Contract Works Both Ways?
Mar 16, 2014

After your six months of training, they put you on production and you are unable to meet their standards with accuracy or amount of charts?  Are you guaranteed to have a job for two years?  Yes, they are paying for your schooling, so you owe them two years, but you WILL be spending your time studying and supposedly the program is very intense -- do you get a guarantee for employment for that long? ...

However, By This Time The Stone Then Appeared To Be Very Lateral In S/l *kaylex*?
Apr 26, 2010

. ...

S/l Stone Fragments For Crystal Graft Analysis
Oct 08, 2014

Hi everyone I am doing a laser lithotripsy and stone extraction.  When the doctor mentions the specimen, it sounds like he is saying Specimen: stone fragments for s/l crystal graft analysis.  I would appreciate any input you may have.  this one is driving me nuts... ...

Oh My Dear Lord - 10 Nifty Ways To Pump Up Production?
Mar 24, 2010

Once again, whoever is writing this drivel needs fired and spread out their salary to those actually working.  Just when I think I can't get any more fed up. . . ...

Once And For All ... It Is Degenerative Disk Or Disc Disease? I Keep Getting Corrected Both Ways :)
May 12, 2010

Disk versus disc ...

Disc Versus Disk? Back In The Stone Ages When I First Became An MT
Jul 17, 2014

I was told disc when referring to optic discs and disk when referring to the spine.  Then I believe the standard was changed to disc for everything.  I just recently started a new job where I was pinged for using disc in a lumbar steroid injection report by my supervisor who told me to use disk for the spine.  So which is correct?  I can't keep up since they put a new book of style every other year. Thanks! ...

Patient Has Kohler's Disease Of The Right Foot. Whether This Is S/l(stone Na Claps) Stage Or O
Oct 31, 2011

Patient has Kohler's disease of the right foot.  Whether this is s/l(stone na claps) stage or on into the healing stage, it is difficult to ascertain at this point.   TIA ...

Stone Retrieval Resulting In Ureteral Or "furonicele" Rupture.
Jan 18, 2010

Hello :)  Traumatic rupture during stone retrieval resulting in fluid signal around ureter and "furonicele or ureteral rupture with retroperitoneal fluid." Thank you in advance for you kind help. ...

"kelsial" Stone? In The Bladder...
Nov 23, 2009

the word I can't figure out sounds like "kelsial" stone??? here is the sentence below...   However, a CT scan done today demonstrates no evidence of tumor disease and her kidney is completely stable. She felt much reassured. The CT scan does demonstrate a small, 3 mm, left pelvic possibly "kelsial" stone that is nonobstructing.   Any ideas??? Thanks!!! ...

Is It Cam Boot Or CAM Boot? I'm Never Sure And I Find It Both Ways!
Nov 18, 2014

xx ...

S/l Stone "burn"/"burr"
Oct 03, 2010

lots of static but it sounds like: She underwent lithotripsy and stent placement for stone burn/burr. ...

Is It Schedule II Narcotics Or Schedule 2 Narcotics? See It Both Ways...
Sep 19, 2014