A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

OP note for a simultaneous kidney-liver transplant. - sm

Posted: Mar 25, 2015

One patient was being kept alive until the organs could be harvested.

The other patient was being prepped for a combined simultaneous kidney-liver transplant. Both reports were very detailed with tons and tons and tons of minutia that I had to ensure made sense. This was dictated by an East Indian man who speaks so fast he makes my head spin.

I can guarantee the patient got a very good operative report placed into the chart.

I made just over $10 per hour this pay period we signed off on today. Is it really worth it? I've been doing this for over 25 years and used to make approximately $25-30 per hour. I am now reduced to feeling like you know what. Nuance, am I really this worthless?

No, you're absolutely not worthless - Ex-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
and as you realize, you're not getting paid for what you are worth. Only you can decide if all of that aggravation and hard work you put into that report is worth you staying in a job that makes you feel bad about yourself, because Nuance doesn't care one way or the other I'm betting.

Making less than a sandwich shop employee - something very wrong.

[ In Reply To ..]
A local sandwich shop here pays 9.50 an hour and I'm sure there is no reduction in pay if you forget to put the pickles on or leave the tomatoes off.

So wrong what this job has become.

Such a sad profession - CINDY

[ In Reply To ..]
The great thing is that all us MTs are noticing how disgusting it is and realizing we can do a much easier job for more money. We don't have to use our knowledge of medical terminology, computer, typing fast, to get 9-10 an hour at a much easier job. This job is a sweatshop job. We have to put the voice recognition on so fast it will make our head spin just to get those lines in.

Also this voice recognition was supposed to help the MTs when it all started help us make more money, just like our macros did when we had doctors that said the same thing over and over in reports. But the MTSOs had to step in and intercept all the extras we could make and give it to theirselves. Would we be on this board complaining if we were making a decent wage, I think not. But now we are on here complaining because we can't even pay our bills.

This was my final day with Nuance and sitting up all night typing for them, going to be working in a grocery store with good hours and good pay. I am not going to donate my knowledge to this field any more. It is so disgusting.

No, you are not worthless - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You are not worthless, but you are in a career field that is being replaced by front-end SR, and you do work for an employer which is developing that FESR, so they do not see value in your skills.

If you are no longer able to earn a viable income in MT, learn something new NOW before you find yourself completely out of a job. Get into a training program while you still have some income to pay for it.

Over on the coding board, there are posts from MTs whose incomes dropped to minimum wage and others who were laid off. They now need training, but have no way to pay for it. A year ago, they could have paid for it, but now they are limited to programs that teach less and cost much more, but have student loans, which eliminates choice and will leave them with iffy job prospects and a devastating loan burden to pay back.

No, your employer does not care about you, other than as a way to train the SR that will replace you. It is sad, but maybe it is time to close that chapter in your life and move on. It can be done. I did it and am very happy with my choice.

Similar Messages:

Kidney Transplant.. Please See Message
Mar 17, 2011

The doc is saying the patient is status post a pediatric s/l envelok kidney transplant.  TIA ...

Kidney Transplant...please See Message...
Apr 24, 2012

The doc is saying:  The patient experienced a rejection, and we are very pleased that we were able to reverse this with the s/l phoresis/IKIG regimen.  TIA.... ...

Kidney Tranplant.....s/l "living Muraya Transplant"
Dec 21, 2009

. ...

S/l Box Kidney/boxed Kidney
Feb 02, 2012

The patient was referred for left-sided hydronephrosis and a CT scan was dictated as consistent with a UPJ obstruction.  Upon my review of the films, the picture did not appear to be consistent with a classic UPJ obstruction (it was not a box kidney).   TIA!!! :) ...

Renal Transplant
Nov 25, 2009

MD dictated ?canabaric? renal transplant --- Any ideas? ...

Does Anyone Know A Good Site For Ophthalmology Or Bone Marrow Transplant Info. TIA. Nm
Mar 09, 2010

nm ...

Liver Reference
Feb 09, 2010

"Pychmial" widening of the sinusoids in the central zones. ...

S/L Shaft Liver
Apr 21, 2010

...resulting in patient shedding microemboli through the kidney, liver, and bone marrow, resulting in acute renal failure, shaft liver,... Does anyone have a suggestion as to what he may be saying about the liver? ...

Liver Biopsy
May 13, 2010

The patient underwent transjugular liver biopsy.  Corrected s/l "sign-u-sorto" gradient was not significantly elevated and was less than 5. ...

Shock Liver
Jan 03, 2013

Hi.  Has anyone heard of shock liver.  Thanks.  Carol. ...

Isoconic Liver Biopsy?
Apr 14, 2012

Any help would be appreciated! ...

CT Abdomen ..... Fatter Big Liver
Feb 27, 2014

the doctor states,   .....fatter big liver, , and gallstones on CT abdomen.  tia ...

"ANBL00P 0532 " Trial For Stem Cell Transplant. ??
Jun 09, 2011

PT with metastatic neuroblastoma placed on peripheral blood stem cell transplant, as enrolled on the ANBL00P 0532 and randomized to the single transplant arm.  ...

S/l Coryzal Chronic Liver Disease..help Please
Jun 11, 2010

scheduled for upper endoscopy to rule out s/l "coryzal" chrinic liver disease???   TY ...

Liver Biopsy Results....please See Message
Mar 28, 2011

Her liver biopsy showed cirrhosis of the liver with marked s/l rozating perinodular ballooning and Mallory bodies, and lymphocytic cholangitis, suggestive of autoimmune hepatitis and PBC overlap syndrome.   TIA ...

Test For Liver Cirrhosis Or Failure?
Apr 05, 2011

I think he's referring to a liver test of some kind. s/l sivian pearson TCs performed at daily, weekly intervals Any ideas at all? janet ...

Yin-yang Phenomenon Of Liver??? On Doppler
Apr 14, 2011

on doppler sounds like yin-yand phenomenon in liver???? ...

Mass Within The Right Sub-*difurmatic* Portion Of The Liver? Thanks. Nm
Apr 17, 2011

nm ...

Serology Test On Liver Abscess
Feb 21, 2014

patient has liver abscess and physician is asking for s/l 'ekanosis' serology and amoeba serology... ...

S/L "hypo Spicular Auto Transplant"
May 05, 2015

some kind of treatment for recurrent Hodgkin disease... ...

Kidney Term
Feb 09, 2010

The cortices show "mamarioli" of normal appearance. Thank you ...

House Of The Kidney?
Dec 05, 2011

This is a kidney transplant report, and the doc says: "A 6 x 12 double-J stent was placed within the ureter up into the (s/)l house of the kidney."  I looked up this term, but I can't find it with Google.  Any suggestions? Thanks! :) ...

Liver Function Test S/l Serumelous And Normal
Jan 15, 2010

any ideas what serumelous could be? ...

Drug S/l Fec-ta-vic...pat Has Colon Mets And Liver Tumor
Sep 02, 2010

. ...

The Liver Is Four Finger Breaths Below The Right Coastal Margin
Nov 26, 2010

Is this the correct sentence? The liver is four finger breaths below the right coastal margin and tender to percussion? ...

I Inserted A S/l Kathy And Elevated The Liver To Take Down The Adhesions
Oct 18, 2011

x ...

Liver Lesions Felt To Be Adenomas Or S/l Zeph/en/H ??
Feb 22, 2012

Patient had pelvic ultrasound done which showed some liver lesions.  She then had a CT scan done that confirmed the lesions.  They were heterogeneously enhancing, not felt to be consistent with hemangiomas.  Differential diagnosis include adenomas or S/L ZEPH/EN/H ??.  sef/en/h  I clearly just hear "H" at the end so maybe a word dash H ?? ...

Liver Segments Numeric Or Roman Numeral?
Apr 16, 2012

Does anyone know if it matters if the liver segments are roman numerals or numeric?  If you know the answer, give reference to where you find it.  Thanks ...

Pt Got Bit By Something, Now Is Having Acute Kidney Problems.
Oct 06, 2010

x ...

Kidney Stone Pressure
Jul 18, 2011

The patient has known kidney stones. The doc says . . . . "He compalined of s/l thick-a-ties pressure and pain running down to his left testicle and left flank . . ." ...