A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Disc versus disk? Back in the stone ages when I first became an MT - SM

Posted: Jul 17, 2014

I was told disc when referring to optic discs and disk when referring to the spine.  Then I believe the standard was changed to disc for everything.  I just recently started a new job where I was pinged for using disc in a lumbar steroid injection report by my supervisor who told me to use disk for the spine. 

So which is correct?  I can't keep up since they put a new book of style every other year.

Thanks!

which BOS does the company for whom you work use? - BOS III says

[ In Reply To ..]
Disk/disc: Most medical lexicographic resources as well as The AMA Manual of Style 10th edition indicate the use of disk for all anatomical terms other than ophthalmologic use. However, Terminologia Anatomica retains the use of disc in reference to spinal terminology. Transcriptionists should be aware that the preferred trend is for use of disk; however, many orthopedists still prefer the guidelines outlined in Terminologia Anatomica and may direct an MT to use disc in transcription of spinal terminology. This same rule applies to terms like orthopedic vs. orthopaedic; the Old English spellings are still referenced in Terminologia Anatomica, and therefore some orthopedists still defer to that usage. The preferred trend, however, is to use the modern spellings.

References to disks should be expressed with hyphens in similar fashion to the corresponding intervertebral spaces.

Example
C7-T1 disk
L5-S1 disk

It's a small hospital and they don't really ascribe to any BOS. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Basically, there is a staff of MTs here who have been here for most of their careers and they just do things they way they've "always done it." There have been other things they have done differently and I thought I would just make sure I'm not losing my mind. But I will do it however they tell me because I like this job. I'm a tree, I can bend!

Thanks!

Similar Messages:

Disk Versus Disc - Degenerative Disk/disc Disease?
Sep 26, 2014

I work with an MT who insists that it is degenerative disk disease, but we have an ortho doctor who insists it is degenerative disc disease.  He is so annoyed that in his latest dictation he says "humor me and just spell it d-i-s-c" and then proceeds to spell the word every single time he says it throughout the report. Now, I will say that I always typed it "degenerative disc disease" because I worked for an ortho office and was told that was the preferred spelling.  When I start ...

Disk Versus Disc
Jan 16, 2010

Cervical disk versus disc, which is the preferred?  I thought it was disk, but in speech jobs lately it is spelled as disc.  TIA ...

Disc Versus Disk
Jun 07, 2011

Can someone please clear this up for me as in C3-4 disc or disk? ...

Disc Or Disk? Degenerative Disc Disease?
Jun 03, 2010

Just wondering... I know AAMT is saying use "disk" for all, but what about DDD?  Do you use degenerative "disc" or "disk" disease?  ...

Disk Or Disc
Jan 19, 2010

Does anyone have a trick on how to know which is the right form to use?  When I look them up in the dictionary I am thinking disc is for eyes and disk is for spine??  Any help appreciated!  ...

Disk Vs Disc
May 11, 2012

I am curious as to the correct way to use this word when talking about the spine.  I have seen it both ways in my references and back in the day it used to be disc when talking about the eye, but it seems now ortho is using it.  Can someone enlighten me please as to the current preference? ...

Disc Or Disk?
Feb 25, 2015

what is the preferred spelling of disc/disk?  The way I learned was that it doesn't totally matter as long as the spelling is the same throughout the report.  But now I am getting feedback that it does matter.  Thoughts? ...

Age Old Question: Disk Or Disc
Jan 22, 2010

I know it's been asked before -- and answered before.  BOS 2nd likes DISK.  I still like it too.  I also like DISC for anything optic related.  Unless definite client preference, is there any updated consensus on using one or the other these days?   Thanks. ...

PIC/PICC And Disk/Disc
Apr 11, 2015

ASR always used to type out PICC (not PIC) and disk (not disc).  I just did a long report and throughout the report it had both disc and disk even in the same sentence.  Also, we were told PICC is the correct abbreviation, not PIC -- so why all of a sudden can't ASR get these abbreviations/words correct?  Why is it getting worse?  How is it getting worse? ...

Disk Or Disc?? What's The Final Verdict?
Apr 18, 2013

Once upon a time, many years ago, I was taught "disk" for eye, "disc" for vertebrae. These days, QA is contraindicating themselves like crazy.  If I type disc for vertebrae, they change it to disk.  If I type disk for vertebrae, they change it to disc.  What gives?  Same goes for eye.  This is driving me nuts.  What do you do here? ...

Once And For All ... It Is Degenerative Disk Or Disc Disease? I Keep Getting Corrected Both Ways :)
May 12, 2010

Disk versus disc ...

Lumbar Disc Or Lumbar Disk- Which Is Correct-- Sm
Jul 09, 2011

Which is the correct way to transcribe this -- lumbar disc or lumbar disk -- I have been transcribing 4-ever and typed it disc but was recently told it is disk??  ...

Bulging Disc Or Bulging Disk?
Dec 14, 2010

Don't know whether to use "c" or "k" ...

Disk Or Disc - Also....grade 2 Or Grade II
May 04, 2012

Two questions that I need clarification on please.  (1)  Is it disc or disk and also (2) is it grade 2 or grade II? Thanks.   ...

Back Surgery: A S/l Pixel Four Was Placed Into The Disc Space For Better Visualization....??
Mar 29, 2010

n/a ...

Renal Stone, Staghorn, And 6 Mm Low Stone Requiring...
Jun 12, 2010

Renal stone, Staghorn, and 6 mm low stone requiring s/l fis tell and right stent placed. ...

At L4-5, There Is S/l (disc-a-zation) Of The Disc Representing Loss Of Water Content.
Mar 07, 2012

TIA :-) ...

Ages 1-10
Oct 30, 2014

Is it the new AAMT/BOS guidelines now that a child's age 1-10 be numerals now like "A 9-year-old girl"?? ...

Is It "disc" Or "disk"?
Nov 13, 2009

I am seeing it spelled both ways. Which is it? Thanks for any replies! ...

Laser Lithotripsy Of Stone
Aug 30, 2010

Could "purchase" be the correct word in this sentence? The stone break-up procedure took much longer than usual due to the positioning of the stone and the difficulty with getting (purchase) on the stone. Thanks so much! ...

ESL Doc - There Is Some Granulation Along The S/l Trach-eo-stone
Jan 31, 2011

x ...

Kidney Stone Pressure
Jul 18, 2011

The patient has known kidney stones. The doc says . . . . "He compalined of s/l thick-a-ties pressure and pain running down to his left testicle and left flank . . ." ...

S/L Gold Stone Mass...see More
Mar 25, 2014

Patient with tonsillar cancer.   A (gold stone) mass in the left angle of the jaw is smaller.  ...

Paging All Dr. MTs - Kidney Stone/prostatitis
Nov 12, 2009

My husband was having rust colored urine and suprapubic and abdominal pain.  He went to doc who said he had infected prostatitis.  Issue 1 is that he did have an affair some years back and I've read that his kind of prostatitis is kind of rare (about 20%) and this truly could be the case but it also said it could be caused by an STD.  Anyone know anything about this?   I hope it's not syphylis (I can never spell that word right) because symptoms ...

Urinary Tract Stone Procedure
Mar 30, 2012

Patient with urinary tract problems.  Doc says, "Patient has had percutaneous stone removal and s/l  "ESAB welll." I'm not sure if I'm hearing the ESAB part right or even the "welll" part. Don't know if it a procedure or a device or neither. Anyone know? ...

Caliceal Or Calyceal Stone, I Have Seen Both Ways, Which Is The
Feb 20, 2013

preferred way. ...

Woo Hoo! Employee Perks Has Rosetta Stone ...
Apr 17, 2015

Wonder if they have MD-SLUR, STAMMER and SLURP edition? Or perhaps ESL levels 1-999? ...

However, By This Time The Stone Then Appeared To Be Very Lateral In S/l *kaylex*?
Apr 26, 2010

. ...

S/l Stone Fragments For Crystal Graft Analysis
Oct 08, 2014

Hi everyone I am doing a laser lithotripsy and stone extraction.  When the doctor mentions the specimen, it sounds like he is saying Specimen: stone fragments for s/l crystal graft analysis.  I would appreciate any input you may have.  this one is driving me nuts... ...

Disk Formatting
Oct 17, 2011

I got a new computer.  I do work for a local doc the old fashioned way (tapes) and would like to save his work on disks (used 3.5 on old computer).  I tried to format the disk and things were going well until the last few seconds when a window popped up saying format could not be completed, but no reason why.  I have tried several times since and the same thing happens.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  I am using CD-RW disks.  Thanks. ...