A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

PROFESSIONAL LICENSE - RADTRAN

Posted: Dec 03, 2010

We should really push for professional licensure for this job like RNs, Rad Techs, RTs, RD, and CNAs.    Hospital and clinics require these people to be licensed… then why not us?  May this will stop shipping work abroad. 

That's what CMT is for - and look how that is supported

[ In Reply To ..]
They've tried for years to "professionalize" us with the CMT and most MTs, especially on here, will do little more than villify it.

BTW, I work in another field where I *am* licensed and it doesn't guarantee anything regarding work conditions or where the work goes. Also, ask how many RNs have been replaced with Philippino nurses. Licensure doesn't offer job protection.

CMT is "villified" because it gets us nothing, -sm - Wanted: $$$

[ In Reply To ..]
benefits an organization that champions offshoring, and is given at great discount to offshore MTs.

Yup but still no different than what licensing would do - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
x
I agree. Licensing off-site MTs all over the map - would be pretty useless.
[ In Reply To ..]
Xx

Be careful what you wish for - because

[ In Reply To ..]
it can turn into a nightmare.

Licensing would almost certainly end up being within state jurisdiction. Each state would come up with different requirements. Devising testing and maintaining the licensing bureacracy would require spending money states don't have right now, so the fees for the MTs needing the licenses would be astronimical. I would not be surprised at fees of $2000 to $3000 each. Seriously. States are looking for any way they can increase revenue right now. What if you work for a big national with clients in different states? You would likely have to be licensed in all those states. Who is going to pay for those licences? Not the MTSO. The MT will pay. And licenses will have to be renewed periodically. What if they have to be renewed yearly? Do you want to go through the stress and expense of renewing your license every year?

I really doubt that requiring US MTs to hve licenses would stop offshoring at all. The big nationals have too much clout and enough money to make sure that doesn't happen. There would be all kinds of loopholes and exceptions. Mandatory licensing would never benefit the individual American MT (i.e. you or me). It would more likely make it harder to get jobs, expensive to keep jobs, and actually accelerate offshoring since MTSOs would be looking for any way to avoid the hassle and expense of ensuring their US MTs had licenses.

The nurses and other patient care specialties you mentioned are directly involved in hands-on patient care. There is a compelling reason for licensing that overrides the issues of expense and logistics. MT work is offshored because an MT does not have to be physically present here to perform the job. That would not change with licensing. U.S. x-rays are now being read by radiologists in places like India and Australia because they don't have to be physically present here to do it. They are apparently able to meet the licensing requirements from their locations, what makes you think foreign MTs wouldn't be able to do the same?

Requiring MTs to be licensed would not solve any of our current problems and would likely create so many more that MT would no longer be a viable profession for Americans.

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

The MTs abroad are posted in the AHDI magazine (sm) - OTE

[ In Reply To ..]
obtaining the CMT as well. ..

Similar Messages:

Business License?
Aug 03, 2010

Under what circumstances would MTs need business licenses?  Are they only needed if the MT is running a home office?  Working for people in the same state?   ...

Do I Need A Business License?
Dec 27, 2011

If I offer my services as an IC to a company do I need a business license....I dont have others working under me, just tryin' to get the job as an IC.   I just noticed in their agreement that I am agreeing that I have a business license b/c I am "offering services to the public".  Thanks.  ...

Costs For An IC License ?
Jun 04, 2012

Hello again, everyone. Thank you SM for giving me some information on ScribeRight.   I am new at this type of position, and there is no guarantee they will call me or even want me, but if they do get in touch, does anyone here know how much an IC license will cost in Ohio and what the cost might be for a certificate for HIPAA ??    I searched several sites and I am not sure what I should be pricing.  Thanks everyone.  ...

Shorthand License At Our Own?
Oct 25, 2012

Apparently starting in March, we will have to start paying for our own shorthand program. Does anyone have any idea what this would cost, and do you know if we have to renew it each year? At the rate I'm losing work, I'm afraid it will cost me one whole paycheck. ...

Business License For ICs
Nov 20, 2012

I was informed that I need a business license to work for a company as an IC.  My city, county, and state do not require a home-based business that files a schedule C with their tax return to have a license if they do not sell items to the general public and the only employees are family members.  Can they cancel my contract for not having a license? ...

IC And Business License Or LLC
Jan 10, 2013

Has anyone working as an IC been required to obtain a business license or become an LLC to continue IC status? The company I IC with has been acquired by a new mgt company and they are requiring all IC to do this. ...

Business License/IC In WI
Feb 15, 2013

Good morning - I'm currently working in a small hospital in WI but looking at doing some work as an IC for the first time.  After much googling, emails that are getting me nowhere and phone calls with endless strings of menus to choose from and no real people to speak with, I am at my wit's end with trying to figure out if a business license is required in the state of Wisconsin in order to work as an independent contractor.  If it is required, do you know how to go about obt ...

Shorthand License Buy Ourselves
Mar 14, 2013

Just wondering how we are supposed to be able to afford a new shorthand license on the type of pay we have. I noticed that it is up in 17 days. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is having a problem with this. Just wanted to gripe. ...

Do You Need A Business License To Be An IC?
Dec 22, 2014

Are there any other legalities that need to be reconciled up front? ...

HOW DO I GET A BUSINESS LICENSE??
Feb 06, 2015

The company I'm going to work for wants me to get a business license.  Where do I get one and how much does it cost?? ...

License To Be Able To Work On Winscribe
Oct 17, 2009

I am looking for an license to be able to work on Winscribe.  Can anyone tell me where I  might locate this? ...

Tried To Log Into Benchmark, License Expired...
Apr 01, 2011

...anyone else?  Did I miss something here?  Just wondering.  ...

Business License Question
Apr 13, 2012

The company I work for is requiring the IC's to get a business license through our city we live in.  However, I live in a very rural area, not a city, so I have no idea how to obtain this license?  I contacted my county and they were clueless.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I don't want to lose my job! ...

IC And Requirement For Business License Or LLC
Jan 10, 2013

Has anyone by told by the transcription company where they are an IC that they are required to either obtain a business license or become an LLC? ...

Shorthand License Won't Be Renewed
Sep 24, 2014

From my sup:  "I just received word that Shorthand licenses will not be renewed at the next expiration.  Most of you use the expanders in Fluency, so are not affected.  I believe there are still a few of you who use Shorthand still, you may want to use this advance notice to transition over to the word expander in Fluency." This so upsets me!   ...

How Professional Doc
Jun 11, 2013

I can still her you and really is unprofessional. ...

IC Position - Obtaining A Business License?
Dec 22, 2011

I have been offered a position as an IC for a company who posted on this website. I was told by them that I needed to obtain a Business License through my State/County in order to work for them. Has anyone had to do this? Is this common practice now for ICs? If anyone has any information on how to do this and if I should do this, please let me know. Thank you so much! ...

Shorthand License Renewal, Should We Be Concerned
Jan 05, 2013

. ...

License For Speedtype Was No Longer Valid
Feb 23, 2013

I am currently an Exact-Med student.  They give each student Speedtype.  I had been using it, but my husband updated our Soundcard and then it said that my license for Speedtype was no longer valid.  So I had to purchased a new llicense for a "new computer" since by updating the sound card it changed settings on our hard disk.  Then we went on vacation and turned our computer off for 2 weeks and when I restarted it, it says my license is not good anymore....don't know why, but apparentl ...

Kaspersky LANDesk License About To Expire - Anyone Else?
Feb 22, 2015

x ...

Professional Transcrptions Of NW FL
Mar 29, 2010

Compensation is .05 cents for every 43 black characters.  Who would want this job?  Maybe they will get a lot of applicants from India.    Saw this advertised on an MT related job board.  ...

Anyone Ever Had An MTSO Request The MT Pay A 'deposit' For A Software License?
Nov 01, 2010

1.  I s/w an MTSO today for a potential job.  They told me that they are going to be switching platforms and that the new software comes with a 30-day free license but after that, they ask that all MTs pay a $250 license fee.  She said it was refundable after employment ended so long as I sign off that I will not use the software anywhere else.  This sounds kinda fishy to me, since it seems that this expense should be something paid for by the company.  2.&nbs ...

Oh, No! I Didn't Renew PC Shorthand License Before It Expired!
Apr 05, 2014

My PC Shorthand license expires 4/5, which is today.  I took that to mean I could renew today for my yearly license.  I was wrong.  Logged on to work today and see that PC Shorthand is expired.  Desperately trying to get hold of tech support at PC Shorthand.  In the meantime, anyone who uses PC Shorthand, can you answer my question?  If I go ahead and order a "new" license (instead of waiting on tech support to renew my old license), will I lose all of my expanders ...

A Company That I Applied For Is Requiring Business License
Jun 03, 2014

A company that I applied for is requiring that I have myself and/or my company licensed in my municipality as a businessowner before they hire me to work for them as an IC.  I am wondering how do you go about doing this and is this now becoming the "new norm" for working as an IC?  This is the first I have ever heard of such other than having to get an employee identification number through the IRS, which I have already done so.  I contacted my township supervisor and he said he knew nothing ...

Professional Transcription Services
Mar 31, 2010

Any info on this company?  TIA! ...

Professional Dictation Associates?
Apr 07, 2010

Hello, Does anyone have any updated info on this company?  I couldn't find much in the archives, aside from one post by someone else looking for info.  Anything will be appreciated.    Tx!  :) ...

Lack Of Professional Etiquette
Mar 22, 2011

Has professional business etiquette really slipped so far?  I can't tell you how many times I have applied to a posting for a job on here or have emailed my supervisor/authority figure at work and never even received an email back acknowledging my email was received. How hard is it to say....Thank you for your concerns. I know that we need to discuss them, and I will get in contact with you shortly to do so.  OR  Thanks for applying to the position or thanks for sending your ...

No So Professional Regarding Shower Gifts
Feb 28, 2012

I just do not think its professional to send out emails regarding gifts for a baby.  If so many people asked why not just send them an email via their own personal email or a phone call.  Why do we all have to know where we can register for gifts.  They are not so employee friendly with us in other ways.  Think about it.  ...

TTS - Friendly, Polite, Yet Professional
Mar 10, 2012

Earlier this week TTS contacted me asking if I was interested in working with them (I had applied back in 2010 and due to various working conditions offered, I had declined the position). However, this offer, I must say, was most attractive. I read the post below; however, after talking with the recruiter I found: a.  She was most knowledgeable and helpful with my questions, friendly, polite, yet professional. b.  Pay offered was close to 10 cpl (straight text) and close to 5 cpl (VR).  ...

Professional Dictation Associates
Aug 19, 2012

This is some of the worst audio I have EVER heard in my 30+ years in this business.  I have sent emails and IM's but "apparently, the problem is on my end, becuase everything is as clear as a bell."   NOT!  Short, clippy, clinic notes, and QA pickier than all get out.  I notated a tempate where I thought there was an incorrect spelling and was called on the carpet was that -- actually QA was wrong.  With the amount of lines they expect as an IC per day, it is ridiculous and of course, ...