A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

A company that I applied for is requiring Business license - MT51

Posted: Jun 03, 2014

A company that I applied for is requiring that I have myself and/or my company licensed in my municipality as a businessowner before they hire me to work for them as an IC.  I am wondering how do you go about doing this and is this now becoming the "new norm" for working as an IC?  This is the first I have ever heard of such other than having to get an employee identification number through the IRS, which I have already done so.  I contacted my township supervisor and he said he knew nothing of any ordinances where I live that I would even have to license myself or obtain any type of permit.  Thanks!

I have been IC for 16 years. Never a tax license as my CPA - said not necessary for just me. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

totally not necessary. SSN is all that is necessary. - MTSO is misinformed and

[ In Reply To ..]
personally, someone that NOT-in-the-know, is not a good candidate for boss. Either that stupid or manipulating you and/or the system in some way for God only knows what reason.

I would keep looking.

I know who you applied with sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for them if the first letter is M and not MModal of course. I did not submit my invoice correctly and they did not pay me so I told them they could not withhold my pay and they ended up letting me go. Was not that thrilled with them anyway. Maybe your experience will be better. Very simple to get an ID#.

My past experience is: - oaf

[ In Reply To ..]
Some states make you pay a Business and Operations tax. When I looked into having to have a business license - the rule they go by most places is if you have clients coming to your home you need to have one. I think that is a liability thing. I would just get a letter from your township supervisor and sent it to them... Lord knows we don't make enough money to be spending it yet something else!

Similar Messages:

Requiring A Business Name
Mar 11, 2015

I have applied to a transcription company that requires me to register for a business name.  I have been in transcription for 15 years as an independent contractor just with a 1099 and my accountant says that it is not necessary for me to register for a business name.  Does anyone have any information on this.   Thank you. ...

Business License?
Aug 03, 2010

Under what circumstances would MTs need business licenses?  Are they only needed if the MT is running a home office?  Working for people in the same state?   ...

Do I Need A Business License?
Dec 27, 2011

If I offer my services as an IC to a company do I need a business license....I dont have others working under me, just tryin' to get the job as an IC.   I just noticed in their agreement that I am agreeing that I have a business license b/c I am "offering services to the public".  Thanks.  ...

Business License For ICs
Nov 20, 2012

I was informed that I need a business license to work for a company as an IC.  My city, county, and state do not require a home-based business that files a schedule C with their tax return to have a license if they do not sell items to the general public and the only employees are family members.  Can they cancel my contract for not having a license? ...

IC And Business License Or LLC
Jan 10, 2013

Has anyone working as an IC been required to obtain a business license or become an LLC to continue IC status? The company I IC with has been acquired by a new mgt company and they are requiring all IC to do this. ...

Business License/IC In WI
Feb 15, 2013

Good morning - I'm currently working in a small hospital in WI but looking at doing some work as an IC for the first time.  After much googling, emails that are getting me nowhere and phone calls with endless strings of menus to choose from and no real people to speak with, I am at my wit's end with trying to figure out if a business license is required in the state of Wisconsin in order to work as an independent contractor.  If it is required, do you know how to go about obt ...

Do You Need A Business License To Be An IC?
Dec 22, 2014

Are there any other legalities that need to be reconciled up front? ...

HOW DO I GET A BUSINESS LICENSE??
Feb 06, 2015

The company I'm going to work for wants me to get a business license.  Where do I get one and how much does it cost?? ...

Business License Question
Apr 13, 2012

The company I work for is requiring the IC's to get a business license through our city we live in.  However, I live in a very rural area, not a city, so I have no idea how to obtain this license?  I contacted my county and they were clueless.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I don't want to lose my job! ...

IC And Requirement For Business License Or LLC
Jan 10, 2013

Has anyone by told by the transcription company where they are an IC that they are required to either obtain a business license or become an LLC? ...

IC Position - Obtaining A Business License?
Dec 22, 2011

I have been offered a position as an IC for a company who posted on this website. I was told by them that I needed to obtain a Business License through my State/County in order to work for them. Has anyone had to do this? Is this common practice now for ICs? If anyone has any information on how to do this and if I should do this, please let me know. Thank you so much! ...

Company Requiring Set Hours For IC
Nov 05, 2014

I thought ICs could not be required to work specific shifts and hours, but one company is dogmatic that they WILL do as they say or hit the road.  The hiring person says that you contract to work specific times, which SHE specifies, not your choice.  Doesn't that make you an employee?  Or am I reading the BOLI laws wrong? ...

Contract Requiring Transcriptionists To Work For Only One Company
Apr 27, 2010

Does anyone know if it is legal (it could vary from state to state, I know) for a company to require you in their contract to work for no other company?  I have seen this in two different contacts for two different companies in the last few months.  Thanks for any knowledgeable input on this. ...

Applied Online Today For This Company
Nov 19, 2013

I wasted an hour this morning applying online for this company. I thought their online application was a bit extensive. What happen to just sending a résumé.  I wish I would've read all these posts first. Doesn't sound like a good company to work for. I've worked as an IC for many years contracted directly with a hospital (no middle man) so working for a service will be a big change.  ...

M-Modal. I Have Not Applied To This Company. I Have Gotten 4 E-mails Thanking My For My Applicatio
Feb 21, 2012

nm ...

Excuse Me, Back To Company Board Business. Any Info On All Physician's Trans?
Apr 25, 2012

TIA!   ...

What Is With Most Jobs Requiring XP?
Dec 07, 2011

XP is outdated and no longer available to purchase or supported by Microsoft as per my understanding.  Isn't Windows 7 the norm now?  I can understand not wanting 64-bit systems for their platforms.... but ONLY XP ?? ...

Landmark Now Requiring.....
Apr 09, 2014

....line requirements per hour. Did anyone receive this e-mail this morning? It said she will let us what the requirements actually are forthcoming. I know this is the norm with most MT companies, but one of the reasons why I have stayed with Landmark so long was I could basically name my own quota and own hours. Since this was my secondary job, I could fit it in when I had free time throughout the day. Oh well....not really complaining, just surprised a little. ...

Requiring Email Response In 5 Min
Jun 01, 2010

Got to thinking about this, wouldn't this be something agreed upon (contract?) before starting with the company?  Otherwise, threatening to fire you for not responding to an email sounds like a ripe labor law violation.  Wrongful termination?  Bait and switch?  Plain unethical.     ...

Jobs Requiring Windows 7
Feb 23, 2015

In scanning the job wanted board, I noticed that many companies only use and accept Windows 7.  Is this pretty typical?  I have Windows 8.1 so I'm wondering how limiting this will be.   ...

Companies Requiring EHMR - A Question
Sep 05, 2013

So where do you get the experience for this. Is it worth taking some type of course? I love transcription, but the future does not look good. I would love to learn something that would include my experience. Thanks for any info. ...

New IC Contract Requiring Response To E-mails In 5 Minutes
May 29, 2010

Got a new kind of rudely worded in places contract from company I've been with a little bit.  I don't care about agreeing to 98% on quality audits, or agreeing to provide a certain number of minutes/lines of work a day and specifying which days, or agreeing to 24-hour TAT, but there is a section that we must respond to e-mails or any other form of communication within 5 minutes during active work hours, otherwise without an acceptable excuse (power/internet outage or emergency) af ...

Perirectal Tissues Requiring CT S/l (thick Headed Drainage)
Aug 29, 2010

Perirectal tissues requiring CT s/l (thick headed drainage) ...

PROFESSIONAL LICENSE
Dec 03, 2010

We should really push for professional licensure for this job like RNs, Rad Techs, RTs, RD, and CNAs.    Hospital and clinics require these people to be licensed… then why not us?  May this will stop shipping work abroad.  ...

Costs For An IC License ?
Jun 04, 2012

Hello again, everyone. Thank you SM for giving me some information on ScribeRight.   I am new at this type of position, and there is no guarantee they will call me or even want me, but if they do get in touch, does anyone here know how much an IC license will cost in Ohio and what the cost might be for a certificate for HIPAA ??    I searched several sites and I am not sure what I should be pricing.  Thanks everyone.  ...

Shorthand License At Our Own?
Oct 25, 2012

Apparently starting in March, we will have to start paying for our own shorthand program. Does anyone have any idea what this would cost, and do you know if we have to renew it each year? At the rate I'm losing work, I'm afraid it will cost me one whole paycheck. ...

Shorthand License Buy Ourselves
Mar 14, 2013

Just wondering how we are supposed to be able to afford a new shorthand license on the type of pay we have. I noticed that it is up in 17 days. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is having a problem with this. Just wanted to gripe. ...

Pt Developed Acute S/l Fleitus Requiring Emergent NG Tube Placement And A 3 Day Stay In The ICU Wher
May 31, 2010

xx ...

License To Be Able To Work On Winscribe
Oct 17, 2009

I am looking for an license to be able to work on Winscribe.  Can anyone tell me where I  might locate this? ...

Tried To Log Into Benchmark, License Expired...
Apr 01, 2011

...anyone else?  Did I miss something here?  Just wondering.  ...