A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Lack of professional etiquette - Sickofit

Posted: Mar 22, 2011

Has professional business etiquette really slipped so far?  I can't tell you how many times I have applied to a posting for a job on here or have emailed my supervisor/authority figure at work and never even received an email back acknowledging my email was received.

How hard is it to say....Thank you for your concerns. I know that we need to discuss them, and I will get in contact with you shortly to do so.  OR  Thanks for applying to the position or thanks for sending your resume, we are glad you are interested in working for our company and will get back to you shortly about the position.....and then follow through with what they say?

I think when you take the time to apply, send an email for a job, or ask your boss a question, they should at least have the professional decency not to ignore you....its completely rude and totally unprofessional.  When I was a manager, I never EVER did that....I might not have answered the question right away but I at least validated that the person sent the email..

Heck, I had to threaten to quit a job once just to get someone to respond to my emails.  Sad...Yell

The same goes both ways. Make sure that you follow them too. - Sickofit2

[ In Reply To ..]
When someone is applying for a job, make sure that you fit the description and the requirements. You would be surprised at how many resumes we get from MT's who have no eScription experience or cannot work weekends, when the ads clearly state those items.

Same goes for emails. Don't go directly to the big boss; he's not going to answer you because you shouldn't be going to him. If you don't follow protocol, which you have been given many times, and ask the HR person for payroll information or the payroll department about scheduling, why should those people respond?

Courtesy goes both ways. Maybe there is a reason you USED to be a manager.

Still.... - Sickofit

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not saying that companies don't...but couldn't you respectfully reply that the person isn't qualified so they aren't sitting around waiting for an answer and wondering why no one bothered to even email them back?

And, yes, I agree you shouldn't email the BIG BOSS...I think I simply states SUPERVISOR...which means supervisor, QA lead, whoever is the person that you would report to. Of course, its pretty ridiculous to email the owner or CEO of a company.

And as for why I USED to be a manager...I'm not now out of no fault of my own actually and it has nothing to do with my etiquette. I was in customer service for many years before MTing and I know that no one who has ever been on a team of mine felt shut out or ignored as MTs do everyday at tons of companies...I actually was commended on it at all of my positions as manager or even QA lead.

I'm glad though...that you decided to attack someone posting something that a lot of people feel is an issue to make yourself feel better...too bad its unfounded and malicious...says a lot about you.

Agree in theory - AnonToo

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe it's not so much about etiquette as it is a little sense of entitlement? If I got upset about every potential job lead, resume and email that never got responded to I wouldn't have energy for anything else. Emails within the company you work for is a different issue. Expect NOT to hear back then you won't be disappointed. LOL

On the job board, someone got that acknowledgement - and ran here to complain about the grammar.
[ In Reply To ..]
What was that saying someone used about those who can't be satisfied, "they'd complain about being hung with a new rope?"
Yeah sure blame the MTs. - Too easy.
[ In Reply To ..]

I agree, has nothing to do with 'entitlement' - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
I get offended, too, if a resume is sent for a job and I hear nothing. But then I choose *not* to take offense or take it personally.

Instead, I consider how many people have likely applied before me, how many MTSOs have insufficient management teams to deal with administration, etc. etc.

In other words there could be many legitimate reasons not to respond. THAT SAID, I make a note of those companies who have not figured out how easy it is to set up an AUTOMATIC reply to all emails replying to a job ad. Something that says "we got your resume" is all an applicant is really looking for...

Often have to go over supe's head to the Boss - cuz Mgr. wont give us the time of day.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

2 different issues - mtmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you with regard to your supervisor not replying but I disagree with regard to sending in a resume. I've applied for jobs in many fields and employers do not routinely hold your hand through the application process. You often don't know if your resume is received let alone considered. Perhaps it's lack of etiquette or perhaps it IS the etiquette. Especially in today's employment environment, I don't think companies have the manpower, time, or inclination to babysit someone thru applying. Send in your resume, follow up in a few days to see if it was received and keep moving.

No reply - Missing the old days

[ In Reply To ..]
I think maybe all the original poster is looking for is some simple common courtesy, a quality in people that seems to have gone by the wayside these days in pretty much all aspects of our sorry, I'm-the-only-one-who-counts, lives.

Exactly my point...thanks! - Sickofit

[ In Reply To ..]
That was exactly my only point here...that at some point, its not professional to pretend that someone didn't email you...especially when they work for you...and while I understand about not enough manpower, I don't care..I took time and effort to apply and would at least like to know the position has been filled...

I'm not all worked up about it..I just don't know where professionalism and customer service mentality went to...especially when its your own employees.

Something I learned the hard way.......... - Blue Sky - (s/m)

[ In Reply To ..]
When you apply for jobs you find ads for on an online job-search engine, don't do it by clicking on the "apply here" button. Even though it will usually bring up the employer's application form, and it appears to be working just fine, it MIGHT NOT SEND PROPERLY. I lost an excellent job opportunity because I thought my application had been received, when in fact, it had NOT.

Instead, leave the job-search engine, and go directly to the employer's website yourself to fill in the application. That way it'll have a better chance of getting through.

Same thing happened to me recently sm - soulshine

[ In Reply To ..]
didn't lose the job, still waiting to hear. So glad I called to see if they received it.

sick of it - ep

[ In Reply To ..]
You said exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you.

lack of etiquette - - totally tired of it

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been with my company for 6 years and my supervisor avoids returning emails to avoid confrontation of any kind. Not going to be happy when I have to e-mail her that I am leaving! Won't be for the first company that wanted to interview me though, waited for them to call at the appointed time and no call, no e-mail saying what happened, nothing. Worked well, the second job is local and I will be an employee with benefits and no more self employment taxes!

An Example - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
In response to an ad, I went to the employers website to apply, was directed to a test site, completed the testing. Upon completion of the testing, I received a message that stated I would be contacted by a recruiter within 5 business days. Nine months later, they contacted me to discuss a position. I really did consider this to be rude, as I had not heard a peep from them, not by email or any other method, since the day I had submitted my completed tests nine months earlier. I had fully expected to hear from them within the 5 business days that their system indicated.

Did I accept a position when they called? No.

Similar Messages:

MTSO Etiquette
Aug 15, 2012

When applying for a job and sending a resume as requested by the ad, is it not good etiquette to receive at least a confirmation email stating the resume has been received?  How many days should one expect to wait for a confirmation email?  I sent out 2 resumes, 2 days ago, to 2 different companies, and received no confirmation whatsoever from either.  The second day, I sent them both another email, asking for confirmation of receipt of resume, and still no reply.  Are they r ...

What Is The Proper Etiquette In Most Settings If You Don't
May 20, 2010

You can challenge them if you feel certain they are wrong, yes? Is it not koshur to question them too often?  How about 2 challenges that you prevailed on, but by the third question are they sick of you anyway, never mind you were right the first 2 times. ...

How Professional Doc
Jun 11, 2013

I can still her you and really is unprofessional. ...

Work Or Lack Of
Jul 22, 2010

Is work extremely slow for everyone? I've never seen it this bad. ...

Lack Of Work.
Aug 01, 2011

Is anyone else at MxSecure slow right now?  I have a scheduled work time like everyone else but am having to work horrible hours to get my line count in.  ...

Lack Of Work
Jul 06, 2012

Has anyone noticed less work in your queues lately? Has anyone had a hard time getting in to a new transcription company? I have 12 years experience, and had an easier time finding a job as a newbie than I do now. Think maybe this has anything to do with the cheap labor from India that is replacing American workers? I'm thinking about finishing my coding classes, but they give American jobs to India also. What does it take to earn a living in America now? ...

Lack Of Funds
Jan 17, 2013

Need to go to doctor but cannot afford to with consistent lack of work.  Hoping things pick up so that I can go and get my prescriptions refilled.  Made too much money last year to benefit from community medical care.  Stuck between a rock and a hard place. ...

Partial Lack?
Jul 24, 2013

doctor dictates what s/l : Likely left thumb EPL partial lack, does that sound right? ...

Lack Of Planning
Dec 12, 2013

You know that saying - A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine? Perfect picture of the North region this week. Apparently we were supposed to be upgraded to the newest version of Fluency except that due to the spectacular communication in the company no one received that information, including installation instructions and now there is a scramble to get everyone upgraded. Do I have all the tools to do my job? No. ...

Professional Transcrptions Of NW FL
Mar 29, 2010

Compensation is .05 cents for every 43 black characters.  Who would want this job?  Maybe they will get a lot of applicants from India.    Saw this advertised on an MT related job board.  ...

PROFESSIONAL LICENSE
Dec 03, 2010

We should really push for professional licensure for this job like RNs, Rad Techs, RTs, RD, and CNAs.    Hospital and clinics require these people to be licensed… then why not us?  May this will stop shipping work abroad.  ...

VR Quality....or Lack Thereof (sm)
Dec 17, 2009

I have no problem with new technology.  I am often the first to buy a new electronic device or gadget. I was the first person in my little circle to get an iPhone, Slingbox, Wii and even a Magic Jack.  I bought all these devices with the knowledge that there would be bugs, installation problems and usage nuances, not to mention a learning curve of some sort on my part.  The transcription industry across the board has rushed to embrace VR technology with what seems like very little ...

TT And Work Or Lack Thereof...
Mar 25, 2010

If you are short lines/hours at TT, do you make up the time?  I find myself working 7 days a week there now and I am not able to log on at night when they send out emails that there is work now and we need to log on to make up the time.  I am worried they will cut me down to part-time, even though I am now making part-time pay but work full-time, or they might not give me health insurance.  I can't sit here every day for 16 hours! ...

Lack Of Work At Webmedx
Aug 01, 2010

So, for weeks, probably months now I sign on faithfully early morning for my shift and every, single day....no work on my primary, secondary, and sometimes even my third account.  It would last perhaps a few hours.  Now, lasting almost the entire day.  What in the world is going on with this company?  Told work is being held for in-house employees in one breath, but in the other oh new account started you will have work soon.  Ok, that was last month.  So I am finan ...

Let Go From Acusis For Lack Of Work
Jan 13, 2011

I worked part time for Acusis.  I always got in my lines every day. Was let go because I was told they needed to preserve the work for full-time employees.  I was there for 2 years (1-1/2 years as full time).  I really hope the work picks up for those staying on. ...

No Wonder We Suffer From Lack Of Self-esteem...
Jan 22, 2011

Has anyone ever noticed that if you make an error while entering a date in a mandatory field in the demographics, the error message that comes up starts off with "YOU FAILED!!!"??? Don't you just love the positive, uplifting attitude of our company towards its workers?  No wonder they didn't make the "Best 100 companies to work for" list yet again... ...

Low Work And Lack Of Communication From Above
May 13, 2011

As an MT who has recently had a pay cut (or "new pay structure") and has consequently upped my game in terms of trying to get more lph, now I find there just seems to be not enough work to even get the 8 hours a day in. As per usual, when this happens I check on here and many other MTs have the same situation, are even more bitter when they see their company is hiring, etc. I am just wondering why we never seem to be offered any explanation from the higherups, or even a guess as to why this is. ...

FutureNet Job Ad & Lack Of Work
Sep 21, 2011

I just don't get FN's logic.  The latest ad is looking for VR editors from Friday through Monday afternoon and night shift.  The work statistics show minimal to NO work on all accounts over the weekend.  The weekends are the slowest times for all work.  Everyone must work a shift on a weekend day.  Most weekends, you would be lucky to get enough work to finish your shift.  Yes, they send e-mails begging for help when there are 5 reports to be done in an a ...

Lack Of Important Communication
Oct 22, 2013

There really needs to be a change in the level of meaningful communication.  A couple of weeks ago all of a sudden, there were no status updates.  It went from 2 a day even on the weekends to nothing for a week.  When I finally got one, the supervisor explained they were trying to determine how the work flowed without the status updates.  If I was a supervisor, that would scare me because it sounds like they are looking at ways of having less management personnel.  But, ...

Keystrokes Lack Of Work
Apr 12, 2014

Anyone out there work currently for Keystrokes 2014 in the Chicago, IL area? I am experiencing a drastic slowdown in work available and wondering if it is the hospital or if Keystrokes is singling me out. I am not sure I trust what they have to say about things, seems a bit scripted to me, but I want to trust them as the work is good and interesting. ...

Professional Transcription Services
Mar 31, 2010

Any info on this company?  TIA! ...

Professional Dictation Associates?
Apr 07, 2010

Hello, Does anyone have any updated info on this company?  I couldn't find much in the archives, aside from one post by someone else looking for info.  Anything will be appreciated.    Tx!  :) ...

No So Professional Regarding Shower Gifts
Feb 28, 2012

I just do not think its professional to send out emails regarding gifts for a baby.  If so many people asked why not just send them an email via their own personal email or a phone call.  Why do we all have to know where we can register for gifts.  They are not so employee friendly with us in other ways.  Think about it.  ...

TTS - Friendly, Polite, Yet Professional
Mar 10, 2012

Earlier this week TTS contacted me asking if I was interested in working with them (I had applied back in 2010 and due to various working conditions offered, I had declined the position). However, this offer, I must say, was most attractive. I read the post below; however, after talking with the recruiter I found: a.  She was most knowledgeable and helpful with my questions, friendly, polite, yet professional. b.  Pay offered was close to 10 cpl (straight text) and close to 5 cpl (VR).  ...

Professional Dictation Associates
Aug 19, 2012

This is some of the worst audio I have EVER heard in my 30+ years in this business.  I have sent emails and IM's but "apparently, the problem is on my end, becuase everything is as clear as a bell."   NOT!  Short, clippy, clinic notes, and QA pickier than all get out.  I notated a tempate where I thought there was an incorrect spelling and was called on the carpet was that -- actually QA was wrong.  With the amount of lines they expect as an IC per day, it is ridiculous and of course, ...

Cornerstone Professional Services
Jun 04, 2013

I am greatly disheartened that you still have comments from when an old supervisor was there and that is hurting our company.  We place adds with you all on occasion and would like to know how to reply to some of these nasty comments.  At least give a company a chance to defend themselves from old disgruntled transcribers.  Seems a bit one-sided.  Some of these comments are borderline slanderous. ...

Windows 7 Premium Vs. Professional..please Help....
Aug 16, 2014

The computer I just bought has Windows 7 premium.  Now I'm wondering if most companies want the professional edition?  Ugh, then I'd have to buy that separately.  Can anyone tell me if companies mean premium home version or professional version when they say Windows 7 required?  TIA! ...

Anyone Know Of Professional Medical Transcription, INC
Sep 14, 2014

Have searched everywhere on this company but have found nothing but job opportunities.  Anyone know anything?  Are they good to work with?  Pay scale?  Thank you ...

Professional Medical Transcription, INC
Sep 16, 2014

I have searched archives, not finding anything.  Does anyone have any information on PMT please?  Thank you. ...

Where Does Someone Buy MS Word Professional 2007
Oct 25, 2014

It seems like it is impossible ???? Looked on ebay and Amazon.  The only thing I see is a home use only version, a student version, etc.  Is it even possible to buy this by itself anymore?  Sigh..... Most companies require you to have this or 2010 (which I can't find either), but how do they expect us to have it when it's so difficult to find? Can anyone help?    ...