A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

IC Position - Obtaining a Business License? - mom12599

Posted: Dec 22, 2011

I have been offered a position as an IC for a company who posted on this website. I was told by them that I needed to obtain a Business License through my State/County in order to work for them. Has anyone had to do this? Is this common practice now for ICs? If anyone has any information on how to do this and if I should do this, please let me know. Thank you so much!

you are only required to do that if - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
your state or county requires it. You can usually find out if you need one by searching those websites if they have one. Where I live, I am not required to have a business license by either entity. I suppose I could obtain an EIN (Employer Identification Number) from the IRS to show I am filing taxes as an IC, but still, no licensing is required where I live. Whether or not you work for this particular company or another company, having a business license, if required, is complying with the laws where you live.

business license - IC

[ In Reply To ..]
I file a schedule C with the IRS and always retain 1099s from all my clients.

With that said, by obtaining a business license, I believe you are possibly subjecting yourself to far more financial paperwork and reporting and paying higher taxes. Most IC transcripitionists are not required to have business licenses and unless you make over $50,000 yearly and have a workforce of subs, it is not cost effective.

However, as a licensed business entity, the company "hiring" you as an IC is contracting with you and not you with them. Therefore, they should sign your contract and not you sign theirs. You will need to provide detailed invoicing based on your line counts and not what the company says is your line count and can include incidentals such as higher rates for STATs, hourly rates for your attendance at company online meetings as well as any duties outside your regular transcribed line production, such as responding to e-mails and IMs. The invoice should not have to be approved but only verified and paid according to your terms and not theirs.

Business license - Susan B.

[ In Reply To ..]
In my city you are only required to have a business license for a work at home business if people are actually coming to where you live. And my homeowners insurances requires it, but only if I have actual clients coming here. (I obviously don't, since I work for a national.)

Company requires it - mom12599

[ In Reply To ..]
I always thought it was up to the IC to decide if they wanted to get a license or not, and I actually worked as an IC for several years and never had a license. The company I got contacted by says they REQUIRE all of their ICs to register as a business or sole proprietorship in the state they live in. Not sure about the sole proprietorship either, as far as registering for that. But they say that filing for an EIN/FEIN with the IRS would be okay too, so I am even more confused! Guess I'll be looking into all of this over the holiday weekend! Thanks so much for all of the responses I have received! Happy Holidays!
I was told.... - alias
[ In Reply To ..]
that you only need an EIN if you have employees of your own that you subcontract work to. Your SS# is what you file your taxes with and that constitutes your EIN. This company is misleading you. It sounds like you would be an employee and not an IC. Check with a tax accountant who understands what an IC truly is.
ask them if you can work for them for 30 days without it..sm - former IC
[ In Reply To ..]
I had to do that same thing, I went through the process of getting my license for the county and I live in the city limits so had to get a license for the city also. Each license was $15. I only worked for them for 15 days. The biggest waste of $30, but I thought I HAD to have it. Just see if they will let you do your trial period without it and if you make it through yoru trial period of 30 days, then you will go get your license. Don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try.

If this is the company I think it is... - IC

[ In Reply To ..]
This company is requiring their ICs to obtain business licenses in order to keep away from labor disputes due to their MTs filing for unemployment compensation due to being misclassified as an IC versus an employee. They've even threatened to hire more Canadians over US MTs for this very reason.

Similar Messages:

Obtaining A Transcription Position
May 13, 2013

I am trying to figure out why I cannot not obtain a transcription position when I have 15 years experience. ...

Business License?
Aug 03, 2010

Under what circumstances would MTs need business licenses?  Are they only needed if the MT is running a home office?  Working for people in the same state?   ...

Do I Need A Business License?
Dec 27, 2011

If I offer my services as an IC to a company do I need a business license....I dont have others working under me, just tryin' to get the job as an IC.   I just noticed in their agreement that I am agreeing that I have a business license b/c I am "offering services to the public".  Thanks.  ...

Business License For ICs
Nov 20, 2012

I was informed that I need a business license to work for a company as an IC.  My city, county, and state do not require a home-based business that files a schedule C with their tax return to have a license if they do not sell items to the general public and the only employees are family members.  Can they cancel my contract for not having a license? ...

IC And Business License Or LLC
Jan 10, 2013

Has anyone working as an IC been required to obtain a business license or become an LLC to continue IC status? The company I IC with has been acquired by a new mgt company and they are requiring all IC to do this. ...

Business License/IC In WI
Feb 15, 2013

Good morning - I'm currently working in a small hospital in WI but looking at doing some work as an IC for the first time.  After much googling, emails that are getting me nowhere and phone calls with endless strings of menus to choose from and no real people to speak with, I am at my wit's end with trying to figure out if a business license is required in the state of Wisconsin in order to work as an independent contractor.  If it is required, do you know how to go about obt ...

Do You Need A Business License To Be An IC?
Dec 22, 2014

Are there any other legalities that need to be reconciled up front? ...

HOW DO I GET A BUSINESS LICENSE??
Feb 06, 2015

The company I'm going to work for wants me to get a business license.  Where do I get one and how much does it cost?? ...

Business License Question
Apr 13, 2012

The company I work for is requiring the IC's to get a business license through our city we live in.  However, I live in a very rural area, not a city, so I have no idea how to obtain this license?  I contacted my county and they were clueless.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I don't want to lose my job! ...

IC And Requirement For Business License Or LLC
Jan 10, 2013

Has anyone by told by the transcription company where they are an IC that they are required to either obtain a business license or become an LLC? ...

A Company That I Applied For Is Requiring Business License
Jun 03, 2014

A company that I applied for is requiring that I have myself and/or my company licensed in my municipality as a businessowner before they hire me to work for them as an IC.  I am wondering how do you go about doing this and is this now becoming the "new norm" for working as an IC?  This is the first I have ever heard of such other than having to get an employee identification number through the IRS, which I have already done so.  I contacted my township supervisor and he said he knew nothing ...

Obtaining Own Accounts
Dec 09, 2013

Okay:  Regarding getting own accounts, how would I propose to do the transcription, if a doctor's office does not have anything set up for on-line transcription?  Or through a phone system?  Are there companies that offer an on-line platform to use for an individual transcriptionist and the office she serves?  What is the cost?  Can the doctor's office just send me voice files and if so would they be secure? ...

PROFESSIONAL LICENSE
Dec 03, 2010

We should really push for professional licensure for this job like RNs, Rad Techs, RTs, RD, and CNAs.    Hospital and clinics require these people to be licensed… then why not us?  May this will stop shipping work abroad.  ...

Costs For An IC License ?
Jun 04, 2012

Hello again, everyone. Thank you SM for giving me some information on ScribeRight.   I am new at this type of position, and there is no guarantee they will call me or even want me, but if they do get in touch, does anyone here know how much an IC license will cost in Ohio and what the cost might be for a certificate for HIPAA ??    I searched several sites and I am not sure what I should be pricing.  Thanks everyone.  ...

Shorthand License At Our Own?
Oct 25, 2012

Apparently starting in March, we will have to start paying for our own shorthand program. Does anyone have any idea what this would cost, and do you know if we have to renew it each year? At the rate I'm losing work, I'm afraid it will cost me one whole paycheck. ...

Shorthand License Buy Ourselves
Mar 14, 2013

Just wondering how we are supposed to be able to afford a new shorthand license on the type of pay we have. I noticed that it is up in 17 days. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is having a problem with this. Just wanted to gripe. ...

License To Be Able To Work On Winscribe
Oct 17, 2009

I am looking for an license to be able to work on Winscribe.  Can anyone tell me where I  might locate this? ...

Tried To Log Into Benchmark, License Expired...
Apr 01, 2011

...anyone else?  Did I miss something here?  Just wondering.  ...

Shorthand License Won't Be Renewed
Sep 24, 2014

From my sup:  "I just received word that Shorthand licenses will not be renewed at the next expiration.  Most of you use the expanders in Fluency, so are not affected.  I believe there are still a few of you who use Shorthand still, you may want to use this advance notice to transition over to the word expander in Fluency." This so upsets me!   ...

Shorthand License Renewal, Should We Be Concerned
Jan 05, 2013

. ...

License For Speedtype Was No Longer Valid
Feb 23, 2013

I am currently an Exact-Med student.  They give each student Speedtype.  I had been using it, but my husband updated our Soundcard and then it said that my license for Speedtype was no longer valid.  So I had to purchased a new llicense for a "new computer" since by updating the sound card it changed settings on our hard disk.  Then we went on vacation and turned our computer off for 2 weeks and when I restarted it, it says my license is not good anymore....don't know why, but apparentl ...

Kaspersky LANDesk License About To Expire - Anyone Else?
Feb 22, 2015

x ...

Anyone Ever Had An MTSO Request The MT Pay A 'deposit' For A Software License?
Nov 01, 2010

1.  I s/w an MTSO today for a potential job.  They told me that they are going to be switching platforms and that the new software comes with a 30-day free license but after that, they ask that all MTs pay a $250 license fee.  She said it was refundable after employment ended so long as I sign off that I will not use the software anywhere else.  This sounds kinda fishy to me, since it seems that this expense should be something paid for by the company.  2.&nbs ...

Oh, No! I Didn't Renew PC Shorthand License Before It Expired!
Apr 05, 2014

My PC Shorthand license expires 4/5, which is today.  I took that to mean I could renew today for my yearly license.  I was wrong.  Logged on to work today and see that PC Shorthand is expired.  Desperately trying to get hold of tech support at PC Shorthand.  In the meantime, anyone who uses PC Shorthand, can you answer my question?  If I go ahead and order a "new" license (instead of waiting on tech support to renew my old license), will I lose all of my expanders ...

Augusta Coding And Transcription Charge A Monthly Fee For Their License
Dec 02, 2011

I have an offer to apply.  I noted they charge a monthly fee for their license free.  I have lots of acute-care experience and I have never paid for anything like that.  A little hesitant about that though.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  At the present time, I really need a job.   Thanks ...

The VLC - Are They Still In Business?!
Dec 22, 2009

I'm a student with The VLC online school.  I sent in 2 assignments 9 days ago and haven't heard back from them.  They've never been particularly swift reviewing assignments but this is getting ridiculous.  I emailed both the instructor and the general contact address and got Mail Delivery System messages to say that "delivery has been delayed.  Error: unable to reach nameserver on any valid IP."  Their forum site is down although the main web site is still ...

New Business
Apr 05, 2010

I have started my  own medical transcription business and it is going great!  I decaled my vehicle, designed a website and distributed a professional-looking brochure to all medical offices in my city.  How many of you out there are MTs that started their own business?  I would like some feedback on how it is going for you. ...

Going Out Of Business?
Jun 21, 2010

I hate the way things are going, MTSO lost their largest account.  I was promised the same amount of work with the 'other' accounts.  Had all but 7 short notes today.  I think I should just jump ship and find another job.  I am NOT liking the way things are going...Been doing this for a LONG time and I can tell when something is up.  Of course, I asked, they won't tell me the truth, they SELDOM do tell the truth of what is really going on. ...

DIT Is Still In Business?
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know if DIT is still in business?  They do not return phone calls and do not respond to emails.  Just wondering. ...

Why Is It Anybody's Business?
Nov 18, 2010

I really resent the fact of being critiqued on how i transcribe/edit a report.  Why is it anybody's business if I use the mouse, keystrokes, or type it with my toes, as long as the report gets done?  I'm sure we all have different styles that work for us - so what's wrong with that?  This is carrying micro-management way too far.  ...