A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

license for Speedtype was no longer valid - Exact-Med Student

Posted: Feb 23, 2013

I am currently an Exact-Med student.  They give each student Speedtype.  I had been using it, but my husband updated our Soundcard and then it said that my license for Speedtype was no longer valid.  So I had to purchased a new llicense for a "new computer" since by updating the sound card it changed settings on our hard disk.  Then we went on vacation and turned our computer off for 2 weeks and when I restarted it, it says my license is not good anymore....don't know why, but apparently something changed on our hard drive again and I will have to repurchase a replacement license again for Speedtype.  So I started looking and found Instant Text (actually from a recommendation on this forum) and tried it with the 30 day free trial.  I loved it.  I contacted Exact-Med (my training school) and asked them if they could get a discount on Instant Text for their students and explained my frustration with Speedtype to them, and they recommended that I speak with Betsy at Speedtype (which I did and was told I would have to purchase a replacement license AGAIN), because ALL the employers that they place their students with REQUIRE Speedtype.  Is this true, that employers require only certain expansion programs????  I really like Instant Text, but I can't shell out $180 on a program to use only during my training and then when/if I find employment cannot use it and have to purchase another one.  Thanks for any help!

Total BS - you can use whatever expander you - sm - XXX

[ In Reply To ..]
want to use. Of course depending on the job it will depend on if your expander will work with their platform (if you are working in a platform that is). IT is very versatile though and works with most I believe. I use Smartype (Stedmans), never heard of Speedtype though. I have IT too but so used to Smartype don't really like the IT. I do my work in Word and paste into a platform that way, so ways around it. I would never have paid for a new license after the sound card issue, sounds like a major scam to me. Most companies will reactivate your program when weird things happen on your computer. Hard to believe they are trying to get a third license fee out of you. I would just go with IT, another expander (my first) was Shorthand,not too expensive and very versatile too.

Key phrase: All employers THEY PLACE THEIR STUDENTS WITH - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
That's the key phrase right there, which, if it's accurate, leads me to believe that they only have one employer that they funnel people to.

The fact that they have made you re-purchase the license once and are saying you have to do it a second time makes them look very dodgy, IMO. Any company worth their salt should be able to look in their records and see if you are a legit license holder and give you a new key to re-install it. I've done it before with a couple of different softwares. The fact that it "resets" itself like that is just nuts.

If IT works for you, then buy it. You won't regret it. Most platforms are compatible with IT in one way or another, so it won't be a waste of your money.

never even heard of Speedtype - and Ive been around

[ In Reply To ..]
Stop throwing good money after bad. You're going to have a difficult enough time even finding a job doing this, no way I'd be putting out money again and again. Pick what program YOU like. Most employers don't care what expander you use.

I use SpeedType...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
A MTSO I interviewed with right after my hospital job got outsourced recommended it, and she put me in touch with Betsy Ertel. I had tried IT but hated it. ST is an okay expander; works for me.

Basically the same as Shorthand, just more expensive. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
see link

I would call Betsy back - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You had to purchase a license for a product that is not working for you, and the only recommendation the company has is for you to purchase it a second time? That's totally unacceptable, and Betsy did a very poor job, in my opinion.

You need to contact her a second time and request that she fix the problem or return your money. That's how commerce works in the real world. Even Walmart wouldn't tell you to buy another toaster if the first one didn't work!

If Betsy will not stand by the product, you should report this to consumer affairs - particularly since this software is part of a course you are paying for!

i would bet she will stand behind her product - bph

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You can get the student discount price of IT - when purchasing..sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Just mention in the Comments section of the order form that you are a Exact-Med student and include your student ID number and we will automatically apply the student discount price to your order.

Kind regards,
Kristen
Textware Solutions

Similar Messages:

DQS - Ip Configuration Not Valid
May 22, 2013

Does anyone get knocked out of the internet while on DQS and get a message IP configuration not valid or cannot find server?  This has started happening to me since last Thursday.  Thank you ...

CareerStep A Valid School Or Is There Another One
Feb 27, 2014

So, I am wanting to go to school for MT, I need some feedback please. Is the online school better than going to an actual college to do the at home work? Is CareerStep a valid school or is there another one I should consider. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. ...

Does Anyone Have A Valid Email Address For Nuance HR?
Nov 20, 2013

I applied for the Multispecialty Clinic position 2 wks ago and have not heard back yet. I received notification that they received my app and testing, but nothing since. I assume I did not get the job, but since I have more than 20 yrs doing multispecialty clinic work and more than 10 yrs doing specialty work, I am wondering why I was not at least interviewed. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Valid/invalid Blanks - Totally Insane
Jun 25, 2013

Totally ridiculous this valid blank and invalid blank.  It is invalid if I don't understand it and leave a blank (which is what I am trained to do) but it is a valid blank if they however cannot understand it.  I am marked off for my INVALID blanks but not for their VALID blanks.  I do not now and never have left blanks without trying to fill them in.  These were not post audit (at least yet) but it still upsets me in that I always maintain a high level of accuracy and n ...

SpeedType Question
Jun 01, 2010

Hi All.   I have an opportunity to purchase SpeedType and have been reading about it some.  Currently I use just the expander or Autocorrect that comes with Word to make little handy helpful hints for words I use lots.  Can anyone tell me the advantages of Speedtype versus what comes with Word, pros and cons, etc..   Thanks ...

SH10 And Speedtype 10
Sep 22, 2011

I have used   shorthand (various editions for years).  I had problems with it on my new computer and switched over to Speedtype 10.  I had trouble getting SP10 to accept the files I switched from Shorthand.  Now, shorthand is acting like a child.  When I close it out, I get a message that says ST10 .exe not functioning and it freezes my computer.  The same goes for Speedtype.  Has anyone else had this problem?  It started on both all of a sudden and t ...

Editscript 9.12 And SpeedType 10.01b
May 17, 2012

I am working on EditScript 9.12 and SpeedType 10.01b on my PC with Windows XP Pro and Word 2007 with very few problems.   I bought a new computer which uses Windows 7 and Word 2003 and cannot get SpeedType to work on the new machine.  I have talked to SpeedType and they say it is the Editscript platform causing the problems because SpeedType works in Word, wordpad, email, everything except Editscript.  Is anyone out there using Windows 7, Word 2003 and EditScript 9.12.  ...

SpeedType Question?
Oct 03, 2012

I just installed SpeedType & I am FRUSTRATED!  Could someone pleeeeease give me the specific steps to copy a block of text that you have just typed into the SpeedType dictionary?  I work for a company that promised 90% editing, 10% transcription, but so far it has been 100% transcription, and there are no templates for the big 4!  And since we're not supposed to cut & paste anymore, I got SpeedType so I could make my own templates, ONLY I CAN'T MAKE IT WORK!!!&nb ...

Speedtype Vs Smartype
Oct 16, 2013

Since the old Smartype does not support Windows 7 or 8, only XP, I bought the new (not Stedman's anymore) Smartype.  It is not very good at all.  I contacted Speedtype, which looked really great, similiar to the old Smartype (I can macro large blocks of text for OP reports) and spoke with the CEO!!! REALLY?? She was fabulous and told me there was a shortcut to get your old blocks of text into Speedtype without cutting and pasting.  I have not tried the 15 day trial period yet ...

Instant Text V - C:/InstTextGlossaryclare2.glo Is Not A Valid Win32 Application
Jan 28, 2010

When working today, I went to expand, it didn't expand and noticed my IT was no longer along my taskbar. I checked the Start for the shortcut and it was gone as well. I lost Internet connection and received a warning of a "Banker" threat, which my PC Doctor handled. This all happened about the same time frame. I have Windows XP.   Anyhow, I found my glossary on my C drive, but when I click to open it I get this message, "C:/InstTextGlossaryclare2.glo is not a valid Win32 application ...

Instant Text Or SpeedType?
Mar 16, 2010

I just got a new computer, Windows 7 64-bit and my SmartType does not work.  I need a new program and I was looking at Instant Text and SpeedType.  Does anybody have those and which one is better????  Appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!! Lori ...

Shorthand Versus Speedtype
Sep 06, 2013

I'm trying to decide on an expander and already eliminated IT as beyond my capabilities.  I'm looking now at SH or ST. Can anyone explain to me what differences there are between these 2 programs?  I'm flipping back and forth between the 2 websites and am I missing something or are they essentially the exact same program but one is less expensive? Also, can anyone tell me if either or both of these programs allow identical names for abbreviations or do they require dis ...

Can SpeedType Be Used In EMDAT Platform?
Jul 31, 2014

I am thinking about taking a position using an EMDAT platform.  This is not a big company, just a nice woman who works from home and employs a number of transcriptionists.  I have never worked in a platform, so really have no clue what this entails.  My biggest concern is being able to use SpeedType, as I have thousands of entries and rely on it heavily to do my work.  The thought of using another word expander, building a dictionary, etc., does not thrill me.   The ...

Business License?
Aug 03, 2010

Under what circumstances would MTs need business licenses?  Are they only needed if the MT is running a home office?  Working for people in the same state?   ...

PROFESSIONAL LICENSE
Dec 03, 2010

We should really push for professional licensure for this job like RNs, Rad Techs, RTs, RD, and CNAs.    Hospital and clinics require these people to be licensed… then why not us?  May this will stop shipping work abroad.  ...

Do I Need A Business License?
Dec 27, 2011

If I offer my services as an IC to a company do I need a business license....I dont have others working under me, just tryin' to get the job as an IC.   I just noticed in their agreement that I am agreeing that I have a business license b/c I am "offering services to the public".  Thanks.  ...

Costs For An IC License ?
Jun 04, 2012

Hello again, everyone. Thank you SM for giving me some information on ScribeRight.   I am new at this type of position, and there is no guarantee they will call me or even want me, but if they do get in touch, does anyone here know how much an IC license will cost in Ohio and what the cost might be for a certificate for HIPAA ??    I searched several sites and I am not sure what I should be pricing.  Thanks everyone.  ...

Shorthand License At Our Own?
Oct 25, 2012

Apparently starting in March, we will have to start paying for our own shorthand program. Does anyone have any idea what this would cost, and do you know if we have to renew it each year? At the rate I'm losing work, I'm afraid it will cost me one whole paycheck. ...

Business License For ICs
Nov 20, 2012

I was informed that I need a business license to work for a company as an IC.  My city, county, and state do not require a home-based business that files a schedule C with their tax return to have a license if they do not sell items to the general public and the only employees are family members.  Can they cancel my contract for not having a license? ...

IC And Business License Or LLC
Jan 10, 2013

Has anyone working as an IC been required to obtain a business license or become an LLC to continue IC status? The company I IC with has been acquired by a new mgt company and they are requiring all IC to do this. ...

Business License/IC In WI
Feb 15, 2013

Good morning - I'm currently working in a small hospital in WI but looking at doing some work as an IC for the first time.  After much googling, emails that are getting me nowhere and phone calls with endless strings of menus to choose from and no real people to speak with, I am at my wit's end with trying to figure out if a business license is required in the state of Wisconsin in order to work as an independent contractor.  If it is required, do you know how to go about obt ...

Shorthand License Buy Ourselves
Mar 14, 2013

Just wondering how we are supposed to be able to afford a new shorthand license on the type of pay we have. I noticed that it is up in 17 days. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is having a problem with this. Just wanted to gripe. ...

Do You Need A Business License To Be An IC?
Dec 22, 2014

Are there any other legalities that need to be reconciled up front? ...

HOW DO I GET A BUSINESS LICENSE??
Feb 06, 2015

The company I'm going to work for wants me to get a business license.  Where do I get one and how much does it cost?? ...

License To Be Able To Work On Winscribe
Oct 17, 2009

I am looking for an license to be able to work on Winscribe.  Can anyone tell me where I  might locate this? ...

Tried To Log Into Benchmark, License Expired...
Apr 01, 2011

...anyone else?  Did I miss something here?  Just wondering.  ...

Business License Question
Apr 13, 2012

The company I work for is requiring the IC's to get a business license through our city we live in.  However, I live in a very rural area, not a city, so I have no idea how to obtain this license?  I contacted my county and they were clueless.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I don't want to lose my job! ...

IC And Requirement For Business License Or LLC
Jan 10, 2013

Has anyone by told by the transcription company where they are an IC that they are required to either obtain a business license or become an LLC? ...

Shorthand License Won't Be Renewed
Sep 24, 2014

From my sup:  "I just received word that Shorthand licenses will not be renewed at the next expiration.  Most of you use the expanders in Fluency, so are not affected.  I believe there are still a few of you who use Shorthand still, you may want to use this advance notice to transition over to the word expander in Fluency." This so upsets me!   ...

IC Position - Obtaining A Business License?
Dec 22, 2011

I have been offered a position as an IC for a company who posted on this website. I was told by them that I needed to obtain a Business License through my State/County in order to work for them. Has anyone had to do this? Is this common practice now for ICs? If anyone has any information on how to do this and if I should do this, please let me know. Thank you so much! ...