A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Shorthand license buy ourselves - Bobo

Posted: Mar 14, 2013

Just wondering how we are supposed to be able to afford a new shorthand license on the type of pay we have. I noticed that it is up in 17 days. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is having a problem with this. Just wanted to gripe.

shorthand license $29.95 a year sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You have various options. I chose the 1-year option for $29.95.

http://www65.pair.com/lim/shorthand/sh10reg.html

Anyone else have problems with Shorthand - zz

[ In Reply To ..]
I tend to have problems with SH. Sometimes it will take 3 or more times to get it to expand, other times no problems at all. Also, I am stunned that on top of rising price of health insurance and out of pocket costs, cut in pay, QA working overtime to make sure we can't get the bonus, now we have this added expense.

Stunned? We've known for a year that the license would expire - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

go in your email and - me

[ In Reply To ..]
type in your email search, shorthand. and your email when you first purchased your license should come up. Then you just email them and they will email you back and tell you how to fix it.
Yes. A quick adjustment of settings will likely fix. - And, no, 10+ years without those problems.nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

It's only $2.49 a month or roughly 8 cents per day. - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Plus, I will write it off as a business expense.

There is no room to gripe. In no way can you tell me you can't afford 8 cents a day for something that will increase your productivity.

$29.99 divided by 12 (months) is $2.50 per month. 250 divided by 30 (days) is 8.3 cents per day.

Shorthand - Bobo

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, what a difference. Someone had told me that they had to get it and it was over $100.

Sounds like the lifetime license. sm - Dewey

[ In Reply To ..]
The lifetime license is around $150, but can only be used on 1 computer.
Oops, that should be "non-expiring" license. nm - Dewey
[ In Reply To ..]
: )

Shorthand license - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I had the same exact problem, so then I downloaded Shortcut. It is so much easier, but its another 30 day trial. gives you a little time to save some money.

Hope you love Shortcut, but Shorthand is first class - I recommend that or IT to others.nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Shorthand License At Our Own?
Oct 25, 2012

Apparently starting in March, we will have to start paying for our own shorthand program. Does anyone have any idea what this would cost, and do you know if we have to renew it each year? At the rate I'm losing work, I'm afraid it will cost me one whole paycheck. ...

Shorthand License Won't Be Renewed
Sep 24, 2014

From my sup:  "I just received word that Shorthand licenses will not be renewed at the next expiration.  Most of you use the expanders in Fluency, so are not affected.  I believe there are still a few of you who use Shorthand still, you may want to use this advance notice to transition over to the word expander in Fluency." This so upsets me!   ...

Shorthand License Renewal, Should We Be Concerned
Jan 05, 2013

. ...

Oh, No! I Didn't Renew PC Shorthand License Before It Expired!
Apr 05, 2014

My PC Shorthand license expires 4/5, which is today.  I took that to mean I could renew today for my yearly license.  I was wrong.  Logged on to work today and see that PC Shorthand is expired.  Desperately trying to get hold of tech support at PC Shorthand.  In the meantime, anyone who uses PC Shorthand, can you answer my question?  If I go ahead and order a "new" license (instead of waiting on tech support to renew my old license), will I lose all of my expanders ...

Business License?
Aug 03, 2010

Under what circumstances would MTs need business licenses?  Are they only needed if the MT is running a home office?  Working for people in the same state?   ...

PROFESSIONAL LICENSE
Dec 03, 2010

We should really push for professional licensure for this job like RNs, Rad Techs, RTs, RD, and CNAs.    Hospital and clinics require these people to be licensed… then why not us?  May this will stop shipping work abroad.  ...

Do I Need A Business License?
Dec 27, 2011

If I offer my services as an IC to a company do I need a business license....I dont have others working under me, just tryin' to get the job as an IC.   I just noticed in their agreement that I am agreeing that I have a business license b/c I am "offering services to the public".  Thanks.  ...

Costs For An IC License ?
Jun 04, 2012

Hello again, everyone. Thank you SM for giving me some information on ScribeRight.   I am new at this type of position, and there is no guarantee they will call me or even want me, but if they do get in touch, does anyone here know how much an IC license will cost in Ohio and what the cost might be for a certificate for HIPAA ??    I searched several sites and I am not sure what I should be pricing.  Thanks everyone.  ...

Business License For ICs
Nov 20, 2012

I was informed that I need a business license to work for a company as an IC.  My city, county, and state do not require a home-based business that files a schedule C with their tax return to have a license if they do not sell items to the general public and the only employees are family members.  Can they cancel my contract for not having a license? ...

IC And Business License Or LLC
Jan 10, 2013

Has anyone working as an IC been required to obtain a business license or become an LLC to continue IC status? The company I IC with has been acquired by a new mgt company and they are requiring all IC to do this. ...

Business License/IC In WI
Feb 15, 2013

Good morning - I'm currently working in a small hospital in WI but looking at doing some work as an IC for the first time.  After much googling, emails that are getting me nowhere and phone calls with endless strings of menus to choose from and no real people to speak with, I am at my wit's end with trying to figure out if a business license is required in the state of Wisconsin in order to work as an independent contractor.  If it is required, do you know how to go about obt ...

Do You Need A Business License To Be An IC?
Dec 22, 2014

Are there any other legalities that need to be reconciled up front? ...

HOW DO I GET A BUSINESS LICENSE??
Feb 06, 2015

The company I'm going to work for wants me to get a business license.  Where do I get one and how much does it cost?? ...

License To Be Able To Work On Winscribe
Oct 17, 2009

I am looking for an license to be able to work on Winscribe.  Can anyone tell me where I  might locate this? ...

Tried To Log Into Benchmark, License Expired...
Apr 01, 2011

...anyone else?  Did I miss something here?  Just wondering.  ...

Business License Question
Apr 13, 2012

The company I work for is requiring the IC's to get a business license through our city we live in.  However, I live in a very rural area, not a city, so I have no idea how to obtain this license?  I contacted my county and they were clueless.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I don't want to lose my job! ...

IC And Requirement For Business License Or LLC
Jan 10, 2013

Has anyone by told by the transcription company where they are an IC that they are required to either obtain a business license or become an LLC? ...

IC Position - Obtaining A Business License?
Dec 22, 2011

I have been offered a position as an IC for a company who posted on this website. I was told by them that I needed to obtain a Business License through my State/County in order to work for them. Has anyone had to do this? Is this common practice now for ICs? If anyone has any information on how to do this and if I should do this, please let me know. Thank you so much! ...

License For Speedtype Was No Longer Valid
Feb 23, 2013

I am currently an Exact-Med student.  They give each student Speedtype.  I had been using it, but my husband updated our Soundcard and then it said that my license for Speedtype was no longer valid.  So I had to purchased a new llicense for a "new computer" since by updating the sound card it changed settings on our hard disk.  Then we went on vacation and turned our computer off for 2 weeks and when I restarted it, it says my license is not good anymore....don't know why, but apparentl ...

Kaspersky LANDesk License About To Expire - Anyone Else?
Feb 22, 2015

x ...

Anyone Ever Had An MTSO Request The MT Pay A 'deposit' For A Software License?
Nov 01, 2010

1.  I s/w an MTSO today for a potential job.  They told me that they are going to be switching platforms and that the new software comes with a 30-day free license but after that, they ask that all MTs pay a $250 license fee.  She said it was refundable after employment ended so long as I sign off that I will not use the software anywhere else.  This sounds kinda fishy to me, since it seems that this expense should be something paid for by the company.  2.&nbs ...

A Company That I Applied For Is Requiring Business License
Jun 03, 2014

A company that I applied for is requiring that I have myself and/or my company licensed in my municipality as a businessowner before they hire me to work for them as an IC.  I am wondering how do you go about doing this and is this now becoming the "new norm" for working as an IC?  This is the first I have ever heard of such other than having to get an employee identification number through the IRS, which I have already done so.  I contacted my township supervisor and he said he knew nothing ...

Augusta Coding And Transcription Charge A Monthly Fee For Their License
Dec 02, 2011

I have an offer to apply.  I noted they charge a monthly fee for their license free.  I have lots of acute-care experience and I have never paid for anything like that.  A little hesitant about that though.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  At the present time, I really need a job.   Thanks ...

Here's Another Shorthand Tip...
Oct 17, 2009

Someone recently had an issue with Shorthand and Autocorrect both operating at the same time, and they were apparently fighting with each other, because both of them had some of the same expansions/corrections, so the user was getting duplicate text. I finally worked out a system for myself where Shorthand is used for actual expansions, shortcuts, etc. Autocorrect is restricted to correcting misspelled and mis-capitalized words.If I have done it correctly, never the twain should meet, and I can ...

Shorthand V10 Help
Jun 16, 2011

I've been using Shorthand all along on my work computer and love it, particularly the fact that it works anywhere - email, Word, platforms, etc.    I recently downloaded the trial version for my home computer, but, while it works fine in Word documents, it won't work at all anywhere else.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? ...

ShortHand - What's So Different About It?
Feb 11, 2012

Ok, I downloaded Short Hand expander program but, for the life of me, it looks just like the standard auto expander/auto correct that comes with word. I've looked over the very brief tutorial that came with it and I don't see where this will increase my productivity anymore than my current Word-based AC/AE work for me. All those Short Hand experts out there (and I believe there are at least a few of you), can someone tell me how this works differently than what I'm already usin ...

Shorthand/MS-DOS
Jun 08, 2012

Does anyone know if Shorthand will work in MS-DOS?  Thanks. ...

I Need Shorthand 10
Feb 19, 2013

Do you have a Shorthand 10 program to spare me that's not limited only for 30 days?  I just updated to Windows 7 and badly needs a shorthand expander compatible for Windows 7.here's my email just in case:top_v_gun@yahoo.com Thanks!  ...

Are Any Of You Who Use Shorthand Getting
Dec 11, 2013

that message again about your Shorthand license will expire in ??? days?   Just wondering if it's just me ~ or they trying to tell me I will not have a job in 20 days?   ...

Shorthand 10 Help
Nov 17, 2014

Since I'm unable to use MS auto correct with my current platform I explored Shorthand, a program I used years ago.  They've gotten too smart for me.  All I want to do is add words on the fly.  The screen I get when invoking SH10 shows no way to save any entry I might make.  Surely I'm missing something here.  If anyone can point the way I'd appreciate it--enter text, save and move on.  Thanks.   ...