A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MTSO's removing spaces after periods? - magmed

Posted: Nov 04, 2011

Have worked for a couple different MTSO's over the last few years. When copying and pasting prior reports I have typed into a new blank document, I have noticed 1 space has been removed after every period, colon, etc.  Anyone else notice this?  If the MTSO's are removing that 1 space, on every report, for every MT, I can't fathom how much $ that would save them in compensation payout... (over a month, over a year!); yet still charging the client for those spaces?  I would think this to be a fraudulent practice.  Am I crazy?  Has anyone else seen this?  I appreciate your thoughts.

May be how platform formats job per client preference after - you upload it. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Word Client by Nuance does that automatically. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

That's a new one on me. - WordClient User

[ In Reply To ..]
That's news to me. I transcribed into WordClient for years (love it!) and it did not do that.
In the later versions, if you watch it, you can see it do it. - dontknowboutearlyversions
[ In Reply To ..]
The more current versions do that, and their VR does it, too.
SETTINGS - WordClientUser
[ In Reply To ..]
Unless the entire WordClient program has been reconfigured, that is a SETTINGS issue and can easily be changed by the MT.
Not true. - Workedat2hospitalsusingit
[ In Reply To ..]
When the document uploads, it deletes all extra spaces. It is not a personal setting, though it might be an administrative setting by now. We were told it is part of the program at both places I worked using Word Client.
You were lied to. - WordClientUser
[ In Reply To ..]
Irrespective of what you were told by the higherups, it is a setting in MS Word that can be altered by the user at any time. UNLESS -- as I stated earlier -- for some mysterious reason they have changed ExText so draastically that it does not run on Word anymore, which I seriously doubt.
Maybe YOU were lied to. We could not change it. - personalsettingsdonotoverrideglobalsettings
[ In Reply To ..]
Like I said, it does it behind the scenes, and we didn't see it unless the system was very slow.
I have PERSONALLY changed the setting. - WordClientUser
[ In Reply To ..]
It is NOT done behind the scenes; it is merely a MS WORD SETTING that you can do yourself.

Familiarize yourself enough with the software so you can figure out where it is. I did. The last time I did it was in 2009, only 2 years ago.
Let it go; don't drive yourself over the edge about it. - notworthit
[ In Reply To ..]
The Nuance trainers told us this when they came in for training, but really, why have you stuck with the argument this long? Was it worth it? I remain unconvinced. You might consider giving up. After a day or 2, the frustration you feel will pass. Good luck!
Because I'm CORRECT, that's why. - WordClientUser
[ In Reply To ..]
Despite your inflated sense of self worth, you are not capable of reading other people's minds -- or moods.

I don't give a crap what some Nuance person told you. Or whether or not you're "convinced." Because what you believe/think does not change the FACTS.

And the FACT is that one can easily change the settings in Word. Ask any competent person in your hospital's IT department. (Our hospital IT guy was the one who showed me how in '09). Or look it up online.

The only reason I haven't posted the details (location, etc.) here is because I don't do favors for twits.

Obviously you're the one who needs luck -- and LOTS of it -- since you're too lazy to check things out for yourself.

removing spaces after periods - reply - AnnieOakley

[ In Reply To ..]
I think that is one reason my line count took a dive. Could not figure it out but finally did. It should be illegal in my opinion. We were never told, but I realized what was happening.

Easy enough to figure out. C&P body of report in word document - & compare cts on that and MTSO count. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

AnnieOakley, you don't lose money if you format the way - the clients request to begin with. Just

[ In Reply To ..]
If no one has issued an instruction, or if the way the initial report comes up doesn't show the desired spacing, check the final version to see how the client has decided to have its reports formatted. More and more these days are choosing to not pay for 2 spaces, and this is not a new thing--it's been going on for some time.

Before autoformatting here, I watched in amazement those at my company who insisted on "correcting" single spaces to double throughout every report for literally years (and megabucks lost), in spite of instructions to single space. The company finally put a stop to most of this pathology, though, by autoformatting to single space on final send so nobody pays for extra strokes they don't want.

Aaww. I thought everyone wanted extra strokes now & then. - I could use some today. Big Sigh. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Gooood one, good girl! :) - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

It differs - KCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
My MTSO says 2 spaces after periods and colons. However, the normals I pull up all have 1 space. Since it's an MS Word-based platform, I have a macro that I run to change the highlighted text to 2 spaces after a period so my report is consistent when I submit it. Not sure what's done on the backend. So far my line counts match up with my MTSOs, so I'm not concerned. They may say type 2 spaces globally across the company and then change it to 1 on the backend for some accounts and leave it for others.

To KCMT - How do you program your macro to - Wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
not space twice after drug dosages and lab values - or just not highlight those sections.

You could google programing macros and probably - get instructions nm

[ In Reply To ..]
fg

macros - KCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been using it for quite a few years. Found it on the Productivity Talk message board. I just tweaked it a bit.

Similar Messages:

VR Not Consistently Putting 2 Spaces After Periods??? Anyone Else?
Oct 30, 2013

have been noticing over the last 3 or 4 weeks that the sytem is not consistently putting 2 spaces after periods.  Used to not have to worry about this, but just one more thing to have to watch.   Also having to now watch auto expansions and change them back to the accepted short form.  Anyone else? Or have I just been here wayyyyyy to long?    Make it a great day everyone!  A lot of times y'all make mine!  ...

S/l Varatensinar Device - He Is Removing A Previously
Nov 18, 2013

nm ...

10 Cpl With No Spaces, Is That A Good Wage Or No? I Have Always Been Paid With Spaces, Thx, Nm
Jun 03, 2011

nm ...

Does Anyone Know What 0.08 Line Without Spaces Equals Out To With Spaces?
Nov 25, 2010

Does anyone know what 0.08 line without spaces equals out to with spaces? ...

When To Use Periods
Jul 20, 2010

I am curious if anyone can offer advice.  I was recently corrected  for not using periods after Mr/Mrs Dr etc.  In my BOS 11 it says it is correct to use/not use periods as long as consisent.  However,  I thought in BOS III periods were elimiated.  Can anyone advise?   Thanks! ...

Pay Periods
Apr 20, 2011

I am new to Medquist and trying to navigate around MQ Central.  I cannot seem to find out where it talks about pay days?  Did I miss something? ...

The Last 2 Pay Periods, I Have Been At 97%. S/m
Oct 29, 2012

Am I on the road to getting fired? ...

Keytrokes Pay Periods
Dec 30, 2010

Keystrokes pays on the 1st and the 15th.  Technically they do not have to pay until Monday, Janaury 3, 2011.  I was wondering, however, if maybe it was the 31st because of holiday etc. Not here last year so do not know.  Thanks if anyone knows.   ...

To Nn...What Are The Pay Periods At Aero?
Feb 09, 2011

x ...

Help? ASR Spacing After Periods?
Oct 21, 2011

I have always double spaced my reports when I transcribed unless the client profile told me otherwise.  I have noticed most of my ASR reports are single spaced and some are double, even on the same client.  What is the standard for spacing regarding ASR?  Thanks guys!  I couldn't get any email back on what is what! ...

Forgotten Periods!
Apr 22, 2014

Anyone else having issues with the speech engine just randomly forgetting periods.  As in, it knows the sentence has ended, has capitalized the next word or put in a paragraph carriage return, but there is no punctuation to be found. It used to be there'd be a missing one every now and again at the end of a paragraph, but this morning it's every other sentence.  Happy Earth Day!  ...

Transcend And WebM Pay Periods
Dec 29, 2009

Can someone enlighten me as to how the pay periods run for these 2 companies? Is it every other Friday, every 2 wks, maybe someone can tell me when the first pay period in January is for each, I am trying to make a decision and the pay dates are going to make a difference, don't like getting paid twice a month, would prefer every other week on a set date. Thanks ...

Question About Quotes And Periods
Mar 26, 2010

I'm doing a psych clinic report and the doctor uses the patient's words in quotes often, and he always dictates it with the period after the quotes, which I learned is wrong, but I am wondering if the entire sentence isn't a quote, only the last part, does that still hold true, such as: The patient states he is tired, doesn't sleep and is "run down" Does the period go before or after the quotes? Thanks ...

Precyse Pay Periods--Question
Feb 28, 2012

Hi All! I just signed with Precyse and I know they will fill me in on all the details, but it's 8 at night and I was just curious about the dates of their pay periods. I know that they pay every 2 weeks. Can someone tell me the next pay date, please? Thanks! ...

AutoCorrect Not Expanding After Periods. Help!
May 07, 2013

I started using AutoCorrect for my expanders. The problem is when I use them followed by a period they won't work. So "t" doesn't turn into "the" just "t." They work after any other punctuation or a space. I've scoured the internet and Microsoft forums and I can't find a thing. I've tried turning off the auto-caps and that doesn't work. Help? ...

OK This Spacing After The Periods Is Getting To Be A Pain
Feb 25, 2014

I would just leave it as is,,but there is no continuity within the reports, sometimes 1 sometimes 2. Same with colons. Now I have to check every single period, if it is at a margin, it is a real pain. This is why I firmly believe we are sll editing some foreigners work on a regular basis. I never too the editor test, I want no part of it. ...

Confusion Over Start And End Of Pay Periods With Nuance
Dec 29, 2012

Okay, got the shift differential figured out but now I am totally confused as to the pay periods start and end dates. I have an email from Cathy Jones with Nuance that says this pay period runs from 12/22 to 1/4, which I think would be correct as it is 2 weeks.  My TL sent us an email this morn saying we have until 1/2 to approve our timecards and the pay period ended last night at midnight!!! What?  Don't we work two weeks and then get paid???? Please explain.  Also, have no ...

How Many Pay Periods Not Meeting Line Count Before Action Is Taken? Sm
Dec 13, 2013

I just don't know what else I can do without really doing any proofreading.  I never ever had this problem before.  I am lucky enough to still do straight typing but the program is slow and I do have several accts in my pool which we all know is not the best way to work when you work on production.  I am looking for another job and actually had 2 interviews outside of MT and I am just hoping and praying, but in the meantime I have never been so frustrated and downright angry ...

Without Spaces
May 31, 2010

How are you supposed to be able to count characters without spaces? This just seems odd to me.  Guess you learn something new every day. ...

Pay For Spaces
Sep 15, 2010

Does anyone know if Diskriter, Amphion, Etransplus pay for spaces?  Need help asap so I can accept or reject offer.  Thanks in advance. ...

Pay Without Spaces Is...?
Jan 10, 2011

If a position offers pay without spaces, would that pretty much cut pay in half when compared to pay with spaces? ...

Does Acusis Pay For Spaces, Or Only By VBC?
Nov 21, 2009

X ...

Just Saw A New Ad ... .07 Cpl, Without Spaces, IC, No Benefits And Want (sm)
Jan 16, 2010

Five years experience and especially experience in basic 4.  Surely you jest! ...

5 Cpl/43 Vbc Only = About 6 Cpl/65 Char W/spaces...sm
Apr 16, 2010

and the explanation is that they are trying to compete with other companies who pay their MTs 2 cpl.  Has anyone seen any companies who pay 2 cpl?  sad, sad, sad... ...

K&R Consulting Don't Pay For Spaces?
May 02, 2010

Does anyone know anything about K&R, other than they don't pay for spaces?  Do they pay more per line to compensate?  I was thinking about picking up some extra work and have done VA work in the past, so was just wondering.  Thanks. MJ ...

Who Uses Two Spaces After Punctuation Other Than Me?
Sep 07, 2010

I was reading and found it is okay to use one space after punctuation.  This is going to be a hard habit to break.  I am old school and was taught to use two spaces after punctuation in typing class.   Thanks for any comments.   Mel ...

Does It Matter If There Are 2 Spaces After A
Sep 08, 2010

this one of those fabulous things that is taken care of on the back-end?  That would save me a few strokes.  ...

Does Anyone Know What 8 Cpl W/O Spaces Is Comparable To?
Nov 12, 2010

TIA :-) ...

VBC Pay Versus With Spaces Pay
Jun 15, 2011

What would 4.4 cents editing VBC average out to if compared to transcribing with spaces? ...

NOT GETTING PAID FOR SPACES
Jan 22, 2011

Ithinkitisnotfairtonotpayforthespacebarkey!! ...