A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Interested in MTing but no experience and no time or $$ to get any!!!!! HELP! - The Pope

Posted: Jan 21, 2012

I am disabled and on social security disability living with my mother and husband in my mother's house. My husband and I have been here for about 4 years, and it's about time to go. My mother is pressuring us to get out knowing that we can't afford to do so.She's become hateful and aggressive, causing unnecessary stress for not only me but my husband which can potentially effect his work performance.

For a few years now I have had the illusion of thinking that most, if not all, work at home jobs I might be able to do and be comfortable doing were scams or I just didn't qualify for them. I have had a small amount of income from social security which, I am thankful for, that I have been able to use to contribute to my husband's and my living expenses, but my husband has been basically having to do most everything at work and home due to my disability, and I feel it's unfair and too much for him. I've never been okay with it but didn't know what I could do. All I've known was that we needed to make more money.

So a few weeks ago I decided I needed to try looking again in the job market. Analyzing my personality, qualifications, and needs it seemed to me that a work at home job would suit me best. However, I didn't know what to look for or what I would even be qualified for. Eventually I came across information about medical transcription and became interested. I have done some research on the web, and I want to sit down with a local MT or two and interview them. But I still feel there is a lot I do not know; not to mention I have no experience or training.

Also, with my mother acting how she has been and pressuring my husband and I like she is, I cannot foresee me being able to do any courses or even affording any training at the moment. I guess this all comes down to the fact that I need to jump into this field asap, and I am thinking I need all the help I can get.

So basically after typing that long prequel I am asking any and all out there for anything and everything I need to know, learn, do, etc. Please help if you can. Anything you can tell me will be helpful and appreciated.

Here are somethings i would like to know more about or get advice/ tips on:

1. Companies to and not to work for (i know not many will hire someone with no experience or training)

2. Equipment (hardware and software) I need or will need

3. PC specs recommended for MTing

4. Any and all reference material needed (or just recommended) whether in book form or as software (or other)

5. Sites I can learn how to transcribe dictation and practice transcribing

6. Tips/ tricks (especially with hard to understand dictation)

These categories are just what I can think of at the moment that I want to know more about, but any information anyone can give me to help I will take. I am sure there is much more I should know that I haven't even thought of. Thank you everyone!

Interested in MTing - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I am truly sympathetic to your situation. I really and truly am. That said, I do not think the MT world is where you will be able to earn significant money. The market is flooded with people who have 10-20+ years of experience, and who graduated from the top school (Andrews) as well as people who trained in hospitals for YEARS. MT is not something you can learn overnight, nor are there "tips and tricks" that will work. This is a PROFESSION, not a job. That said, I am going to repost a summary of an article I once wrote for prospective MTs. (I am a recently retired MTSO/MT with 42+ years of experience.) I know pretty much who is hiring and who is not. For a person to want to enter the profession at this late date, with no education and no experience, I would have to say that it will not work. I think that by far the kindest thing you can do for a person in need is to tell them the truth. I think you are wasting your time. I personally would not even grant an interview to anyone with less than five years of verifiable acute care experience, including ESL experience. That said, here is the article. Perhaps something of it will be of help to you. I hope so.

Several people have asked me if I think MT is still a viable career. Coincidentally, today as I was cleaning out some files, I found notes from a seminar I gave and thought I would summarize a few of the thoughts, hoping they might be of value to someone out there. (Moderator, if you don't feel this is appropriate, please just delete the post.) First, there are three "myths" to consider: 1. The myth that medical transcription is easy money. Many of the not so reliable schools push this idea and use it to exploit people. It makes me really disheartened that many people who do not have much money to begin with get taken in by this. Shame on the schools who do this! 2. The second myth is that it does not matter where you go to school; you can get a good medical transcription education anywhere. Again, another myth. The old saying that "you get what you pay for" really applies. When I am counseling people face to face, I always advise that the two things they MUST have from any program are the SUM program and real, live instructors. 3. The third myth is that you can always learn "the old fashioned way--on the job." That was true up until perhaps the end of the 70s; it is surely not true now. The marketplace and its structure (and pace) have changed too radically. When interviewing schools, ask questions: 1. Where are your graduates working? Can you give me the names of 2-3 grads who would be willing to share their experience with me? 2. How long has the school been in business? Is it a private entity? A sole proprietorship? Who are the principals? How are your instructors chosen? 3. Do your financial homework. Call the BBB and the Department of Business Regulation for the locality in which the school is registered. Have there been complaints? Have the complaints been satisfactorily resolved? 4. What form of financial aid do you offer? 5. How accessible are your instructors and by what means? E-mail only? Are telephone calls permitted/encouraged? 6. Does your school use authentic physician dictation such as in The SUM program? Or does it merely use scripts read by actors? 7. What type of follow-up does your school offer? Can I "retake" any portions of the course with which I have difficulty? How many tries do I have to pass the final? 8. What kind of placement program do you have? What percentage of your grads get placed? (There should not be a fee for placement.) 9. Utilize the wisdom of the "old salts"--ancient MTs like yours truly who have been in this business for decades. Most older MTs are happy to help newbies. Many people helped me when I was starting out, and in gratitude, I try to help people just starting. Those are just some thoughts that I culled from the seminar I did. I hope something in here helps someone. Have a great week!

After all of that, if you are still determined to do this, I would recommend Andrews and ONLY Andrews at this point in the MT world. Please do not be taken by any of the programs advertised in the women's magazines. They are pretty much worthless, you will spend money, and still not have a job. Savvy MTSOs do not hire grads from them. I truly do wish you all the best and hope that you can find something to meet your needs. God bless you.

Interested in MTing - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a website you might look at called rat race rebellion. I learned about them from my local workforce office. They list all kinds of work on the internet jobs that they have checked out and pretty sure they are not scams. They also have a book recommended there that you might want to purchase. Good Luck!!!

not enough research - devilsadvocate

[ In Reply To ..]
I think if you had done some more research (perhaps read the archives here) you will find that being inexperienced with no education is probably not going to get you anywhere in this field. There are so many MTs with WAY more experience and education than you have that are struggling to find decent work.

It always amazes me the way a lot of people think that just because they can type they can do this type of work. It's not just a matter of simply sitting in front of your computer and typing all day. There is a lot of research involved, need for understanding treatments for various diseases, and much, much more. MT is not simply sitting at the keyboard and taking off.

I guess, simply put, it's not as "easy" as your research must have made it appear.

I might have a rude answer, but you asked for help - so here it goes

[ In Reply To ..]
1. I dont know a soul who has been hired by a company with absolutely no training or experience.

2. Your mother is correct in causing unnecessary stress, and I dont blame her one bit. You have a husband and you have social security. You have overextended your stay by over 3-1/2 years in my estimation. Your parents are not supposed to support you forever.

3. MT wages are about even with social security at this point.

4. If you still think you are capable of doing this work, go to school, learn the trade, get hired by a company, and then buy the materials/software needed for the job.

I am sorry if you feel I may have offended you, however, I feel that you have offended all MTs out there by implying that this is a no-brainer job that anyone can do. This is simply NOT THE CASE! I worked my behind off through school, struggled with 2 years of in house training before I went home, and it took probably 3 years after I went home before I became knowledgable enough. I still learn new things every day, and it is still a lot of work!!!

Amen - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I have to agree with the others. - Maggie May

[ In Reply To ..]
No matter how bad off your situation is, MT is not a magic bullet that you can use. NOBODY is going to hire you without training. Very few companies will hire without experience, and the ones who do require excellent training. If you can't afford the time and money for good training, you'd be better off looking for another option. Nobody can just "help you" get into this business unless you are well trained for it. Sorry for your troubles, and good luck to you.

Not only that but - maggie

[ In Reply To ..]
Even if you had gone to school, you would not want to jump into working from home alone with nobody to ask questions or have listen to something you can't make out- I would not have dreamed of it the first 2 years I was working. Even now I find I like to have others around to consult.

I remember a hospital i once worked at had a girl who came in to test who said she had not been through training but her father was a doctor so she figured she had the terminology down and would be able to pick up the rest. About a third of the way through the test she left, apologizing to the manager for even wasting their time, as she was now realizing transcription was SO much more than just knowing some medical terms. It was nice to hear her admit that.

Wannabe MT - Catholic MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
I am sorry for your difficulty, but you are NOT the Pope. I find your handle to be offensive. You should have more respect for things others find sacred.

I agree. It is a strange moniker. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

There is no need for such rudeness. I'm - sure when she posted SM

[ In Reply To ..]
she didn't set out to "offend" MTs. She just does not know the business, that's all. No one has any business judging her home situation either. To The Pope, things have changed drastically in MT over the past 10 years or so. India took a lot of our jobs, wages have been cut, voice recognition software again cut our wages, and the looming EMR mandate will be threatening a lot more MT jobs. Everyone here is very frustrated and I am sorry that they showed that by their rudeness toward you. I will say I would not recommend getting into this business. Stick around and read the forums. You will very quickly learn the reality. Some companies are now using "at home" customer service. Recently, someone posted that one of her family members worked for a company called Alpine Access. I suggest researching this type of job. Good luck to you.

Offended - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I actually find it kind of offensive that she thinks she can just be an MT because she wants to.

Like that post the other day by the person who wanted something "Like acute care that can be learned quickly." Really? You can learn acute care quickly? I've been typing acute care for 15 years and still haven't learned it all.

It bothers me that people think because MTs work at home it's an easy job that anyone with a computer and typing skills can do.
Offended - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I SO agree with you. I can't tell you how many people have asked me over my 25+ year career as an MT/supervisor/MTSO/QA how they could learn to "type" at home and "do what I do." In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing in this profession that can be learned "quickly."
MTing - curiousgeorge
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I tend to not know what I don't know, and when I thought of becoming an MT, I HAD NO IDEA how complex it is. I honestly loved keyboarding and thought it was a glorified typing job. So, I researched and resigned myself to go to school (one of the top 3). BUT, I finished a BS online so I knew how to research; otherwise, I may not have come across the correct (and wise) information.

I happened to stick with MTing (8 years ago)because it is really interesting, and I love learning new things every day. I am, however, in agreement with others here, that it is not a lucrative career and does not project itself as returning to one. Also consider business transcription, sermon transcription (an owner of one of these was just hiring). As far as I know, these may require testing, but not schooling.

Anyhow, best of wishes to you.
Never heard of - sermon transcription
[ In Reply To ..]
What is that?
Typing the Sunday or whatever day's sermon - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It's usually required back pretty quick, as they are putting it up on their (the church's) web site for those who cannot attend for various reasons. I've done it. It's super easy, you obviously need a Bible for reference if you are not versed in the Verse LOL. And any typist can do it. Always very clear and usually pretty good money. Not over an hour long either usually.
I'm going to look into that - for a part time job
[ In Reply To ..]
I work 12-hour days on the weekends so I have all week to do something like that. It sounds fun and I have a more than passing knowledge of the Book lol

Catholic MTSO - Use what you want

[ In Reply To ..]
So many people get their nose out of joint over ridiculous things. In this day and age when so many think anything goes, if you choose to identify yourself by a faith, good for you. In this secular society, carrying a Bible is treated with contempt, but if you want to dance around a pentagram, you are embraced in "tolerance". Too bad Christians do not get that same consideration.

your point? - is what?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Grandiose Thinking - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
OldPro noted that MT is a profession, not a job. That is correct. This is not something you can just "do" because you decided to.

You appear to have confused it with typing at home for doctors. You do not become able to do this by virtue of having the right kind of computer equipment or because you have decided that staying at home is best. Nor are there any convenient websites hosting assortments of free learning materials.

I have no doubt that you could learn MT quickly, but no one will hire you unless you were trained by the right school. That is the only thing that will overcome the lack of experience.

Overall, your post looked as though your thinking might be a little grandiose. The judgment you showed in it appears a little manic. You seem to feel that you can overcome all of the very considerable odds and that the limitations and realities that apply to others will not apply to you. If this is a recurring problem for you, you might need to contact your healthcare provider

I do not think MT would be profitable for you. It is costly and time-consming to learn. Jobs are hard to get. If you really do want to do this, see if your disability office will assist you. They often pay for training and equipment.

For an alternative, perhaps you could consider self-publishing. Your writing is good enough and you clearly have research skills. There is a very good market for that now with the e-reader market expanding. There are a number of free e-books explaining how to do this on Amazon. You can download free Kindle reader software for your computer that will enable you to read them. You could write blogs, recipe books, self-help advice, or novels.

Grandiose Thinking - Watcher

[ In Reply To ..]
I just find it interesting that, although this person asked for help, and many people did try to help her, never once did she say thank you. That just says a lot to me.

Not to me. - PassingThru

[ In Reply To ..]
If the OP had returned to this thread and made some remarks but had not thanked anyone for the info they had posted, THAT would say a lot to me.

Since she hasn't posted again to this thread, it's possible that she hasn't had a chance to come back to check it for replies. OR perhaps she was scared off by the gang who jumped her case over her moniker.

Armchair diagnosing. - Geez!

[ In Reply To ..]
You cannot assess someone's mental state -- or even their MOOD -- based upon one message board post. If that were the case, mental health profs wouldn't even have to go into their offices to see patients, they could just interact with them via IM or e-mail.

You have no idea what kind of mood this lady is in while typing out her message. Perhaps what you perceive as "grandiosity" is merely her excitement at the prospect of having a new career. Who knows.... YOU do not know, and that is the point.

I love how MTs think they can diagnose disorders - they are MTs not MDs or PhDs

[ In Reply To ..]
:)
That post was not by an MT and there was - No Diagnosis
[ In Reply To ..]
There was only a description of what appeared in the post.

Was that your post? - Geez!
[ In Reply To ..]
"Armchair diagnosing" is merely an expression. It was utilized to make the point. You can quibble about semantics, but the point remains unchanged. Besides, the poster went on to suggest seeking out the services of a mental health professional, which is yet another assumption and another layer of hubris on her part.

Was that your post? If not, then how do you know it wasn't made by an MT? If so, then IF you have any integrity you will retract what you said.
INTERESTED IN MT but no experience - willow
[ In Reply To ..]
It amazes me how people who can type think they can transcribe. I worked with a nurse who thought the same thing until she actually had to go to the interview and could not even get through the first paragraph of dictation. Right, it is a profession, not just a typing job!

To the OP - AM

[ In Reply To ..]
Please don't worry about "any and all reference materials" (you sound like a lawyer), or sites or tips and tricks. No one but no one will give you an interview without five years of experience in acute care and an EDUCATION from a good school. You might call Andrews. The woman there is very kind and will answer your questions honestly and with kindness. As to what you are asking, you are putting the cart waaaaay before the horse. Good luck to you!

It can't be done - Susan H.

[ In Reply To ..]
One sentence in your post strikes me: "I need to jump into this field ASAP." That more than anything else tells me that you either have not done your research as to what medical transcription is or you are very nearly engaging in magical thinking. Neither of these situations will serve you. Please, please, please do some careful research. There is no way to "jump in." If there were, do you think people would undertake long and arduous training? Time for a reality check, please.

Jumping In! - thediver

[ In Reply To ..]
I jumped right in!! I researched a bit and then signed up for school within 2 months. I was concurrently finishing up a bachelor's degree and had a job. I learned more on the job than I did in school, and I am an excellent MT. What...do most MTs ponder this career for a few years or something? LOL

As for the OP, who would come back here to thank us when people are now suggesting THERAPY to her. The audacity of some of us is unbelievable. Maybe THAT poster needs therapy. By the way, this is NOT a professional board. No-one on here acts in a professional manner. Professionals would answer this person with quality information, not belittle her because her assessment is incorrect.

I agree with you, diver. Perhaps she has not - been able to get back SM

[ In Reply To ..]
on the computer. If I were her and read these responses (with the exception of a few) I would think that these are the kind of people that I was so happy to get away from working in an office. I mean, come on, "I am offended by your moniker" ? I think a lot of people have lost their social skills from being isolated in their jobs, at least I would like to think this is part of the reason for such responses.
Arrogance of some people - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
What I see here is some of the people on this board think they are better than anyone else just because they happened to get into acute care and they seem to think they can put some down for asking a simple question and tell them there is no chance of you ever getting a job if you HAVEN'T WORKED IN ACUTE CARE. It's so obvious here. Let me tell you that you are no better than anyone else on his board or anywhere for that matter. It's just too bad that we cannot support one another here instead of condeming each other. You know we are all in this together and someone is watching how we treat others and it will come back on you. It's call karma. I realize I have said some things here that I will have to answer to but I'm getting a little sick and tired of all the derogatory remarks. We all need a job and need to pay our bills and that's all we are doing here.
Yes, I am offended by her moniker - Catholic MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
It is disrespectful of someone whom I hold sacred. Of all of the monikers she could have chosen, why does she call herself The Pope? Sorry, but to me that is not appropriate.
With you on that one. - anotherCatholicMT
[ In Reply To ..]
The moniker took me aback, also, although next to some of the really horrible stuff posted online about the Holy Father that's truly, and intentionally, offensive, it strikes me more as an unthinking and cavalier response to the "nickname/alias" field. As in, going with the first thing that pops into one's mind.

At the very least it was a very odd choice (and I'd have thought that if something like "Dalai Lama" had been used, too) which had me immediately skeptical of the post's content. I still am. I can give some leeway for genuine ignorance about this profession, but my overall impression of the OP is that there's a lot of cluelessness in a general sense ... which the nickname choice itself underlines.
Not a Catholic BUT - Amy
[ In Reply To ..]
I found it offensive, too. Also unprofessional. I would never hire someone who sent me an e-mail with such a handle. It reflects badly on the OP. Perhaps she did not do it intentionally. Still, invincible ignorance is reason not to want someone so naive on the team.
How upset are you now? - Jesus
[ In Reply To ..]
How upset are you now?

Do you tell men named Jesus and women named Mary that you find their name disrespectful?

Would you avoid posting a recipe for beef stew because it might offend a Hindu?

Would you avoid justifying your intolerances as Catholic beliefs because it might cause scandal about that faith?

What would be disrespectful for you is not disrespectful for a person who does not know about, understand, or ascribe to the belief.

It might just be that the OP's name is Pope. Theodora Henrietta Elena Pope, perhaps.

Perhaps that did not occur to you. Perhaps you thought that a statement of outrage would reflect well on your faith rather than present it as intolerant and judgmental. It isn't a sin if you do not know it is wrong.
Except that - maggie
[ In Reply To ..]
if your name was Pope then why "THE Pope?" You are trying to justify or excuse something that there is no excuse for.

Common sense is almost a freaking superpower these days
Mountain out of a molehill! - ChillOut
[ In Reply To ..]
It's hilarious to see all you folks getting all worked up over a moniker on an anonymous message board! Good grief, if this minutia is what you're concerned about then you must not have much to do.

It's possible that The Pope was on TV when she wrote that, The Pope was on the radio, etc. WHO KNOWS why she chose "The Pope?" She could have picked "Santa Claus," and a bunch of Christians would be offended because he's "satanic," Jews would be offended because he's a gentile, Muslims would be offended.... etc.

She doesn't know you personally so probably didn't intend to offend ANYONE here. Obviously she's not yet an MT so doesn't spend a lot of time here. Cut her some slack!

Jumping in vs jumping in - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Your definition of jumping right in is considerably different from that of the OP. You appear to have given it some thought, arranged training, and found a job. The OP appears to feel this is something she can do if she has the right equipment and a website with sample dictation. And she needs to do this RIGHT NOW for reasons which involve a mother with whom she apparently cannot get along and who wants her out of her house.

I missed where anyone suggested therapy, but I agree that there is an unrealistic, manic quality to the post. It is almost a flood of words. It strikes me as pressured. I think anyone suggesting professional help would have been doing so out of concern for her wellbeing.

Jumping in! - Diver - RR

[ In Reply To ..]
How long ago did you jump in and were you hired by a national for an acute care account? What school did you enroll in? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, You Need Training - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, you need training by professional instructors, period. A very long time ago, you could get a doctor or hospital to help you, but those days are gone.

You need a course in terminology, pharmaceuticals, disease processes, anatomy, etc., and let's not forget the ear training. Even the best of registered nurses can't just "jump into it." They, too, need ear training.

If you know some local MTs who will mentor you, that's great, but chances are they are clinic MTs and do not have the acute care experience one needs these days to stay in the business. Even if they are acute care, the teaching process would be time consuming. They are people you can bring in after you've taken a good course at a good school, to give you some support and an ear to bounce things off of.

As for equipment, it all depends on who you are working for. I would not purchase even a book until you know you are going to be able to do this.

If it hasn't been mentioned... - Nobody will even test you without schooling-nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

I find that hard to believe - - ...

[ In Reply To ..]
There are LOTS of skilled MTs who did not go to MT "school". Rather, we have the background and the smarts.
MT schooling OR good on-the-job Training - Small Message
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, should have said OR on-the-job training.
Schooling to test????? - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
I just was tested at the local hospital and I didn't go and spend $3800 for schooling. I learned most of it on the job and some classes.

Pope, and others thinking of entering this field, you - could enter without shelling out to a school. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
It is just a job, and there are various ways to start. BUT--don't do it.

1. It takes a LONG time to learn enough to make as much as you could stocking at Home Depot--many months. Then a lot longer to actually get good enough to make decent money--literally years. Almost all work these days is on a production basis.

2. As you've probably noticed, the industry's undergoing a lot of changes. Many people are finding themselves ground right out and having trouble finding new work. Newbies are especially vulnerable. I would never recommend anyone who actually needs an income, part time or otherwise, enter this field at this time--unless as part of an hourly pay job, for instance in a local medical office. Not at home. Too many people are investing many months of lost income that wasn't earned working at something else in trying to enter into this field--only to find themselves desperately in debt, unemployed, only half trained, and practically unemployable.

3. OP's English skills look on a glance above average, which is a much bigger asset than many trying to become MTs realize. They're related directly, not just to quality, but to the time needed to do even an adequate job and thus to speed and production. People who've gained adulthood and still aren't sure where the commas should go should question whether they have one of the basic talents needed for this narrow little line of work.

That said, the period of becoming skilled enough to make a living rquires a person to be:

Highly motivated. You're your own cheerleader and supervisor sitting all alone all day/all week/all month/all decade).

Very disciplined. Most companies let people who won't keep those hands busy, busy, busy just dwindle away. Among the people who come here complaining they have no work (a genuine problem for most of us now and then) are a lot who are in the process of being weeded out and don't know it. Nobody even tells them, just assigns more and more work elsewhere until they go away.

These days this is the last work a person wanting to make some money working part time should look at. It's become hard, intensive, grinding work and only worth it for people who already have the skills. Not for most of those who don't have the get-up-and-go to do just that. Getting dressed each morning and going to work for hourly pay almost anywhere in your neighborhood would be a lot easier, and far more lucrative for a very long time.

Plus, everyone wants to get rid of us these days, even though they do still need us, and abusing and exploiting MTs has become common practice. Right now there's always someone else who will take the job someone else has finally walked away from in disgust. I'd never enter this field as it is now.

Believe me.

I respectfully disagree - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not think people "make their way" in these days. Most MTSOs I know (and I know many) will not even test if you do not have school and at least 5 years of experience. One place I know requires 10 years. I am not saying this is right, I am saying that this is the way it is now. As for me, I would never trust my transcription to someone who did not have a good education(i.e., not an "institute" or a matchbook, but training from a school proven to know its stuff) and a lot of experience. The patient comes first. In my view, on the job training in MT went the way of the horse and buggy. Have a great day.

OldPro, MTSOs are not the only employers. I trained - in an office. But that is not the point. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x
My point is - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
can you do acute care?
Oh, yes. I started doing nothing but Kaiser clinics, then - moved on to 100% acute care. But, that
[ In Reply To ..]
is a very good point. I believe it's critical these days to get into acute care as soon as possible. I did it then because that's what I wanted.

on-the-job training - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
Sadly a thing of the past, but also waay better than a school. I started out in a large university hospital, a tertiary hospital. We were paid by the hour then, but we had access to a medical library, staff and residents, video tapes of operations and the actual OR itself. You cannot beat walking down the hall to ask the actual dictator what they meant and getting a thorough explanation and understanding. I started in 1972, am going strong at 60, and plan to do this until I am removed kicking and screaming. I have a BS, I NEVER bothered with a transcription school, and I'm making 65K/year.
you are an exception to the rule, but - maggie
[ In Reply To ..]
back in the 70s there was not all the training schools there are now and that was maybe a little more possible- now there IS training and it is foolish to think you can just jump in and start doing this without a knowlege base to draw from, especially now that you normally can NOT just ask the doctor what did he say and what did it mean.

R U actually an MT?? Because - maggie

[ In Reply To ..]
that answer was pure BS- how dare you say that someone could enter this job without any training? You honestly think just knowing proper English is enough?? You have to know medical terminology, not only what the words mean and how they are spelled but you often have to figure out the context of what the doctor is talking about and you have to know what you are talking about. It comes down to patient care and it is downright dangerous to be typing a person's medical records, which are referred to by other physicians and medical workers, if you do not have that knowledge base. Just by saying that you have just helped add to the idea that transcription involves nothing more than being able to type and spell and I am offended by it.

Sure, advise people not to go into it because of the reasons you gave, they are valid reasons not to, but the most valid reason of all would be NOT HAVING THE TRAINING. Now you could say don't waste your time going to school and getting trained, but don't say you could do it but don't because its not worth it. Total load of crap.

Similar Messages:

I Would Be Interested In Knowing How Many Part-time
Apr 04, 2013

employees did NOT lose their jobs today. ...

The Sad Part About It Is The Experience And Time Put
Mar 29, 2014

that has been put into this business and how the pay has decreased instead of increased.  MTs are smart and intelligent people that are excellent in research, spelling, and anything else they have to do and to think that all of the years of this is going down the tube is really horrible.  I hope that everyone finds something to subsidize their income, but in the mean time, we all need to stick together and stop all of this bickering and try and help one another.  That is what this ...

Anyone Have Experience With Turn Around Time Transcription Co? Or Medrite XL Platform?
Jun 12, 2013

Hi, I recently spoke to someone from Turn Around Time Transcription.  I had found their ad on mtjobs.com.  Does anyone have any knowledge of this company?  They use the Medrite XL platform and the owner told me all the transcriptionists said it was an easy platform to work on, but then I looked it up and MTs were complaining about the line counts being so low.  Any info on either the company or the platform?  Thanks, Kathy ...

Mting
Nov 21, 2009

I have been transcribing for 20 years, but most of it was Radiology and Pathology for hospitals. They were pretty laxed with errors. Now I am in the big leagues and I am getting QAed to death! But I am learning a lot. I also have ESLs to deal with now so it is taking time to build up my speed. I just started here 2 months ago. I am fast, but I need to learn also. It is challenging. I got spoiled doing specialties. ...

Need To Get Out Of MTing. What Do You Think...
Mar 13, 2011

is the best 2-year and 4-year degree to go after these days?  I can no longer support myself and my daughter on my wage as an MT.  Lost my house to foreclosure which was a huge wakeup call.  Decided to go back to school but don't want to waste my time on a dead-end career.  ...

Just My Take On What MTing Has Become
Jan 21, 2012

I used to make $50,000 a year also.  Then it went down into the 40s.  Now, I think it may be something like $35,000 to $38,000, depending on different factors.  I have given this much serious thought because I am in my 50s and would like to hold out for another few years and not have to start a new career this late in life. I think between the "AAMT" and the offshoring, this profession has been brought to its knees.  The offshoring has not worked out too well for many compan ...

How Much $ Would It Take For You To Leave MTing?
Oct 12, 2010

I love my job, I do well at it.  I am $45,000 give or take a couple thousand every year.  I am losing my account to VR, and I will have to switch accounts.  I will not be able to make as much on the new accounts, probably a 25% pay cut.  I have a job interview this afternoon for a job in a doctor's office doing routine front desk duties.  I don't know how much it pays.  What if they ask me how much I am looking for?  I don't know what to say.&nb ...

MTing In An RV On The Road
Mar 18, 2011

I'm interested in chatting with anyone who might be doing MT work on the road in an RV or motorhome.  This might be in my future soon and I am curious about the logistics of this.  I've been working at home for 19 years so would love to keep this great job while seeing some sights in the USA and still working. Please get in touch if you have any information! Thanks   ...

MTing NOT DEAD
Nov 22, 2011

MT'ers transcription may not be dead after all.  I had an interview with a local hospital that has many clinics and outside services.  They have had all of their transcription outsourced aside from various departments in the actual hospital.  However, they have discovered a better quality of work if they keep their work onsite.  They are pulling ALL of their services back to using on-site transcriptionists.  Some at home work after training, but there will be no MTS ...

I Want Out Of MTing, Question Though
Jun 04, 2013

I want to work in health care IT, but I'm not exactly sure which degree to go for.  I keep seeing health care informatics and I see programs for them, but it seems to me that these are degrees that prepare you to become a RHIA.  I already have an AA degree and have my RHIT certification, but I want to work more in technology, specifically health care technology.  Maybe a computer science degree or ......?? ...

Not Doing VR Yet, But Interested
Oct 19, 2009

I wonder which systems are the best to work on.  I know the pay is lower, but I think after 20 years, I would love to save some wrist power....  ...

Steno Machine And MTing
Oct 16, 2009

I have been using a steno machine to do this job since the year 2000.  I would have a difficult time returning to typing on a QWERTY board for MT'ing...way too slow and painful on the hands, etc.  On a good day on a familiar account, I can produce 250 lines an hour, no sweat.  I was trained in school to reach 225 words per minute, which I did back in 1992, to qualify to take the California state board exam.  I would encourage anyone to take the time and effort to learn s ...

What Happened To The Days When MTing Was An
Nov 16, 2010

enjoyable job instead of just a day-in-day-out headache listening to idiots blabber on? ...

Getting Out Of MTing, Looking Into Health Informatics
Aug 24, 2011

I am getting out of MT and looking into the Health Informatics program.  I have a 2 year degree in HIT, but my problem is I don't know where to look for a bachelor's degree in Healthcare Informatics.  When I research online I find only master's degrees in informatics or other universities require you to have an RN degree or IT degree.  I saw someone post here that they were getting their bachelor's degree in Informatics but cannot find that post.  Anyone k ...

Getting Out Of MTing And Going Back To College
Oct 13, 2011

Mting is no longer for me.  I'm 34, single mom, need a better career.  I can't seem to decide on which career path to take.  I want to get my bachelor's degree because it will make me feel like I have accomplished something, and I would like to have a degree and possibly get my master's someday.  I can't decide between healthcare information management and getting my RHIA, or something totally different and getting a BS in business-human resources man ...

The Saddest Part Of MTing
Oct 27, 2012

The saddest part of being an MT is that most of us have to maintain 2 or jobs at the same time, no just to make ends meet, but because of the fact that we don't know when they will be ready to fire us because we missed a comma or did not meet their high, ignorant, unreal expectations. How many of you have to work more than one MTSO, not only to make ends meet but because there is no work or because you fear being let go without notice or explanation?   ...

Since When Did MTing Become VOLUNTEER Work???
Nov 02, 2012

This field is PATHETIC. I once worked for TTD and every single payday, my check was either short or I did not receive it at all. When I questioned the owner about my pay, I was let go...simply asking for the money I made...A--- fired me. Come to find out a short time later that she had ditched every worker in the company...either shorting their pay or not paying them at all and above all, she even owed money to workers in INDIA as well. I thought this was just because TTD was sick company whose ...

Interested In Coding HIM
Jul 26, 2012

I have been working as a transcriptionist from my home for almost 20 yrs.  As most, I am losing my account due to EMR.  I am considering pursuing other avenues such as coding or HIM.  Is this a good idea.  How is the job market for this.  I am also a Certified Medical Assistant but have not worked in an office in over 20 yrs.  Any ideas??? ...

Not With Mmodal, But Interested...
Oct 15, 2012

would anyone care to give a synopsis of "the call"?  I am interested in the content and the rhetoric you guys were treated to.  What's this I hear about the "spot" award. Thanks in advance for anyone who could fill me in a little bit. ...

Just In Case Anyone Is Interested...
Sep 12, 2013

Very interesting article!   ...

Interested In Coding?
Oct 12, 2013

If you think you might be interested in coding or just want to get an idea of what it is and how it works, try the PDF at the link below.  It is quite good!  (It is free.) www.facs.org/ahp/codingmanual.pdf       ...

Home Depot, My Ticket Out Of MTing
Apr 21, 2012

Anyone wishing to start a new career, right now may be a good time to apply at Home Depot. They are hiring seasonal cashiers and I applied and I am on my way to being hired after a drug test next week. It's for 120 days with possible permanent employee. I will learn some customer service and cashiering which I feel is valuable since I have never done it with 30 years of being an MT. Hopefully, it will work into something else. It has been tough to find another job but this could just b ...

Interested In Applying At Keystrokes
Jun 09, 2010

Hi there, I'm interested in applying at Keystrokes.  Does anyone know what the current f/t requirement is?  I see they are hiring only FT right now.  Is this according to line count or a set schedule.  Thanks for any info!     ...

MT Interested In Becoming Biller/coder
Oct 06, 2010

Can anyone tell me if there is an online course, school, how long it takes, or what I need to do to find out how much it costs etc, to train in medical billing or coding. I have been an MT for 20 years and need to find a new and/or additional career. Thank you so much for your help.  ...

Interested In Possibly Going Into Coding
May 24, 2011

I am doing some research on medical coding. I have looked at Andrews Coding School and Career Step. Both seem to be close but Career Step states it takes much less time to finish, which I am guessing is to get you in to their school and not reality but that is only a guess. The cost is also a huge difference. Has anyone here gone through either school and would you recomend one over the other? Any advice is appreciated. ...

For Anyone Interested In Nuance TAA Petition
Sep 24, 2013

The petition was submitted early this year. This is the denial of TAA benefits and the reasons for denial.  If you feel the situation has changed it can be appealed by any employee, soon to be ex-employee or former employee per DOL. “The investigation was initiated in response to a petition filed on March 7, 2013 by a state workforce official on behalf of workers of Nuance Transcription Services, a subsidiary of Nuance Communications, Inc., Burlington, Massachusetts (subjec ...

Anyone Interested In IMedX Staffing?
Mar 13, 2014

Anyone you know?   ...

A Friend Of Mine Asked About MTing Recently ....
Dec 20, 2010

I told her to give it not a second thought, it was a waste of money and time for the schooling required, and, even as an IC, she'd be LUCKY to make $.09 a line and have zero benefits.  I told her she'd be MUCH better off working for McDonald's. Who is going to enter this profession of low pay and no benefits in the future?  Who will stay when, even the transcriptionists who are fortunate enough to be doing straight transcription now, are gone after the switch to VR and ...

Was Called This A.m. From Recruiting Asking If I Am Interested In Working For M.Q. I Think I Had Ap
Nov 04, 2009

How is the VR pay, flexibility for part time. ...

Found This Keystrokes Review If Interested
Oct 10, 2012

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Keystrokes-Reviews-E157011.htm ...