A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Since when did MTing become VOLUNTEER work??? - Overworked and NOT paid

Posted: Nov 02, 2012

This field is PATHETIC. I once worked for TTD and every single payday, my check was either short or I did not receive it at all. When I questioned the owner about my pay, I was let go...simply asking for the money I made...A--- fired me. Come to find out a short time later that she had ditched every worker in the company...either shorting their pay or not paying them at all and above all, she even owed money to workers in INDIA as well. I thought this was just because TTD was sick company whose owner was a theft. Nope, I was wrong...this seems to be a universal practice among MTSOs nowadays.

Then I went to work for 3 other companies. Yes, I was working 3 different jobs at one time and in the beginning, the pay was ok. It was on time and correct...but soon, I noticed the pay was once again being short cutted or not paid at all and every single time I asked about it, I was given some cockameme story about what happened.

Now, I thought I was working for a decent company. For 8 months, they always paid me exactly what I am owed and invoiced. My pay was ALWAYS on time...and BAM again....my check is missing/short today....and I am not talking about simply a couple of dollars....I am talking hundreds of dollars.

Is it just me or are these MTSO companies making it a habit to use their workers and rip people off? Is the practice of not paying or short paying becoming a norm with all these MTSOs? By them not paying us what they owe us...on the day that it is owed is actually not only STEALING OUR MONEY...BUT ALSO STEALING OUR SERVICES AS WELL...and somehow, this has to be punishable by law....don't you think?

They expect us to be on working long, hours....12+ hours a day for most of us. They expect the reports we do to remain in TAT and be 98% correct or better...but when it comes to paying us the correct amount on time..IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHY? SINCE WHEN DID WE AGREE ON BEING VOLUNTEERS? It is one thing to be paid such low, pathetic, insulting salaries....but to not be paid on time, the correct amount is absolutely PATHETIC.

As MTs, we need to pull together and go after these MTSO companies. They have their high expectations of us of 98% or better 100% of the time. They expect us to stay in TAT and produce tons of reports....SO WHY CANT WE EXPECT THEM TO PAY US ON TIME AND 100% CORRECTLY 100% OF THE TIME?

Finally, I used to love doing this job, but nowadays I HATE IT WITH A PASSION. It just makes me sick to think that I sat and worked 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week...I did the best work I could possible do. High quality, high quantity...only to wake up this morning to find out that I do not even have enough money to buy food because once again I have been shorted and probably will not be paid at all.

Today is the day I am officially leaving this job. If I wanted to volunteer, I would do more meaningful work other than working to make someone richer. BY NOT PAYING US...THESE MTSOs ARE STEALING OUR MONEY AND OUR SERVICES....Since when did it become okay to stealing other's people's money in this country?

When I complained. . . - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
(when I worked for a small mom and pop MT service) about having to do more and more paperwork that I was not being paid for, the boss put her husband on the phone to bawl me out and threaten to take away my most productive account. And these people bragged constantly about what good Christians they were. No raise in 4 years. No benefits (no PTO, no paid holidays, no insurance).

COMPETE! - TMSOA.com

[ In Reply To ..]
If you don't have some sort of non-compete agreement with them then I suggest you start your own outfit. Any good MTSO is going to employ some sort of tech that is going to lighten your workload so that you can generate more revenue by doing less/no work that doesn't translate directly into CPL

If MT you would know every contract and/or employee agreement - has a no compete clause. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Have never seen a contract/agreement without a - non-compete clause

[ In Reply To ..]
Non-compete is standard in almost all MT contracts or employment agreements. Let me guess - your company is just the sort of vendor that could set this MT up with just what she needs to have her own outfit and be productive and happy, right?
Non-compete clauses don't mean squat - very easy to get around it - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
They have to PROVE you took their account. I have never heard of someone going after an account, getting it, and then the account ratting off to the former employer that their former employee solicited the account. It is SO easy to get around these clauses. It's nearly impossible to prove it. Really. They use it as a scare tactic. I personally haven't done it, but the MTSO I work for had it happen to them - how do I know? I went to work for a company, not knowing right away that they used to be a partner with company number one. Once I was trained, I saw the contract that was no longer with company number one show up on the list of company number two. I brought it up to company number one and was told their atty said don't bother - it's nearly impossible to prove. All the account has to do is say they no longer need your services and then start with the "new" account. There is no way to prove solicitation took place.
probably so, but I don't see that as ethical. That's just me. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Volunteer Transcription-where Did The Ad Go?
Sep 20, 2010

Hi Folks.  Sent in a resume'.  Then went in to review the ad again and it is gone.  Does anyone remember what they were paying for the IC position?  How can I get to the original ad? ...

Volunteer Work
Jul 14, 2013

The thread on another board about letters to newspapers sparked an idea.  I am putting together a letter that I will initially be sending to HR.  My objective is to get, in writing, the rationale/justification behind not being compensated for the various daily tasks we are REQUIRED to do.  A few minutes here and there, throughout the day, every day, over days, weeks, months and years...well, that really adds up!.  If anyone is willing to take a moment to list those thing ...

Volunteer Transcription Out Of Tennessee?
Nov 02, 2009

Does anyone work for Volunteer Transcription out of Tennessee?  Is the workflow consistent?  ESLs?  QA issues?  Pay issues? Thanks for your input. ...

Anybody Ever Work For Volunteer Transcription?
Dec 01, 2009

I had sent my resume, tested, and received an e-mail back asking about when I would like to start working last week.  Time goes by and nothing.  I figured it was because we had the Turkey Day holiday.  I have sent followup e-mails and even called and left a couple of messages and still nada.  Anyone have any experience with Volunteer Transcription they would like to share? ...

Volunteer Transcription Good, Bad Or Otherwise
May 28, 2010

Just wondering if anyone can give me any details, good, bad or otherwise.  I searched the archives but found nothing.  TIA!  ...

Volunteer Transcription Job Openings
Sep 18, 2010

There are job openings on the job seekers board with Volunteer Transcription.  Anyone know anything about this company?  Also says pay is "biweekly."  Doesn't that mean twice a week?  Sounds like a typo.  ...

Volunteer Transcription - Good Or Bad About This Company?
Jul 01, 2010

I have an opportunity to test and be hired by them but it seems it is taking them so long to get back to me for the next step.  Anyone else having this trouble.  Anyone know anything good or bad about this company? ...

Info Volunteer Transcription Out Of Tennessee
Aug 05, 2010

Can anyone who current works for or have worked for in the past give me any info on Volunteer Transcription out of Johnson City, Tennessee. Please feel free to E-mail me if you prefer. Any info would greatly be appreciated, in particular pay issues, work load, communication. They seem really nice, but I just got that "sinking feeling." TIA ...

Resume Help - How To Make Volunteer Items
Sep 23, 2012

I am looking for anything in HIM (but not finished with HIM classes yet) - how can I make it look like I've done more with my life than transcribed for 15 years?  I've had offices in many local organizations, etc and taught youth groups.. I just feel like when recruiters see my resume they see "15 years sitting and typing"... ...

Attention Employees... We Need Friday Hours. If You Do Not Volunteer,
Mar 19, 2010

Good thing I signed up for those Friday hours, only to get NJA.   What a bunch of Butt Face Jerks. ...

Mting
Nov 21, 2009

I have been transcribing for 20 years, but most of it was Radiology and Pathology for hospitals. They were pretty laxed with errors. Now I am in the big leagues and I am getting QAed to death! But I am learning a lot. I also have ESLs to deal with now so it is taking time to build up my speed. I just started here 2 months ago. I am fast, but I need to learn also. It is challenging. I got spoiled doing specialties. ...

Need To Get Out Of MTing. What Do You Think...
Mar 13, 2011

is the best 2-year and 4-year degree to go after these days?  I can no longer support myself and my daughter on my wage as an MT.  Lost my house to foreclosure which was a huge wakeup call.  Decided to go back to school but don't want to waste my time on a dead-end career.  ...

Just My Take On What MTing Has Become
Jan 21, 2012

I used to make $50,000 a year also.  Then it went down into the 40s.  Now, I think it may be something like $35,000 to $38,000, depending on different factors.  I have given this much serious thought because I am in my 50s and would like to hold out for another few years and not have to start a new career this late in life. I think between the "AAMT" and the offshoring, this profession has been brought to its knees.  The offshoring has not worked out too well for many compan ...

How Much $ Would It Take For You To Leave MTing?
Oct 12, 2010

I love my job, I do well at it.  I am $45,000 give or take a couple thousand every year.  I am losing my account to VR, and I will have to switch accounts.  I will not be able to make as much on the new accounts, probably a 25% pay cut.  I have a job interview this afternoon for a job in a doctor's office doing routine front desk duties.  I don't know how much it pays.  What if they ask me how much I am looking for?  I don't know what to say.&nb ...

MTing In An RV On The Road
Mar 18, 2011

I'm interested in chatting with anyone who might be doing MT work on the road in an RV or motorhome.  This might be in my future soon and I am curious about the logistics of this.  I've been working at home for 19 years so would love to keep this great job while seeing some sights in the USA and still working. Please get in touch if you have any information! Thanks   ...

MTing NOT DEAD
Nov 22, 2011

MT'ers transcription may not be dead after all.  I had an interview with a local hospital that has many clinics and outside services.  They have had all of their transcription outsourced aside from various departments in the actual hospital.  However, they have discovered a better quality of work if they keep their work onsite.  They are pulling ALL of their services back to using on-site transcriptionists.  Some at home work after training, but there will be no MTS ...

I Want Out Of MTing, Question Though
Jun 04, 2013

I want to work in health care IT, but I'm not exactly sure which degree to go for.  I keep seeing health care informatics and I see programs for them, but it seems to me that these are degrees that prepare you to become a RHIA.  I already have an AA degree and have my RHIT certification, but I want to work more in technology, specifically health care technology.  Maybe a computer science degree or ......?? ...

Steno Machine And MTing
Oct 16, 2009

I have been using a steno machine to do this job since the year 2000.  I would have a difficult time returning to typing on a QWERTY board for MT'ing...way too slow and painful on the hands, etc.  On a good day on a familiar account, I can produce 250 lines an hour, no sweat.  I was trained in school to reach 225 words per minute, which I did back in 1992, to qualify to take the California state board exam.  I would encourage anyone to take the time and effort to learn s ...

What Happened To The Days When MTing Was An
Nov 16, 2010

enjoyable job instead of just a day-in-day-out headache listening to idiots blabber on? ...

Getting Out Of MTing, Looking Into Health Informatics
Aug 24, 2011

I am getting out of MT and looking into the Health Informatics program.  I have a 2 year degree in HIT, but my problem is I don't know where to look for a bachelor's degree in Healthcare Informatics.  When I research online I find only master's degrees in informatics or other universities require you to have an RN degree or IT degree.  I saw someone post here that they were getting their bachelor's degree in Informatics but cannot find that post.  Anyone k ...

Getting Out Of MTing And Going Back To College
Oct 13, 2011

Mting is no longer for me.  I'm 34, single mom, need a better career.  I can't seem to decide on which career path to take.  I want to get my bachelor's degree because it will make me feel like I have accomplished something, and I would like to have a degree and possibly get my master's someday.  I can't decide between healthcare information management and getting my RHIA, or something totally different and getting a BS in business-human resources man ...

The Saddest Part Of MTing
Oct 27, 2012

The saddest part of being an MT is that most of us have to maintain 2 or jobs at the same time, no just to make ends meet, but because of the fact that we don't know when they will be ready to fire us because we missed a comma or did not meet their high, ignorant, unreal expectations. How many of you have to work more than one MTSO, not only to make ends meet but because there is no work or because you fear being let go without notice or explanation?   ...

Interested In MTing But No Experience And No Time Or $$ To Get Any!!!!! HELP!
Jan 21, 2012

I am disabled and on social security disability living with my mother and husband in my mother's house. My husband and I have been here for about 4 years, and it's about time to go. My mother is pressuring us to get out knowing that we can't afford to do so.She's become hateful and aggressive, causing unnecessary stress for not only me but my husband which can potentially effect his work performance. For a few years now I have had the illusion of thinking that most, if not a ...

Home Depot, My Ticket Out Of MTing
Apr 21, 2012

Anyone wishing to start a new career, right now may be a good time to apply at Home Depot. They are hiring seasonal cashiers and I applied and I am on my way to being hired after a drug test next week. It's for 120 days with possible permanent employee. I will learn some customer service and cashiering which I feel is valuable since I have never done it with 30 years of being an MT. Hopefully, it will work into something else. It has been tough to find another job but this could just b ...

A Friend Of Mine Asked About MTing Recently ....
Dec 20, 2010

I told her to give it not a second thought, it was a waste of money and time for the schooling required, and, even as an IC, she'd be LUCKY to make $.09 a line and have zero benefits.  I told her she'd be MUCH better off working for McDonald's. Who is going to enter this profession of low pay and no benefits in the future?  Who will stay when, even the transcriptionists who are fortunate enough to be doing straight transcription now, are gone after the switch to VR and ...

Every QA That I Have Talked To Says They Are Sicking Of QAing And Wished They Could Go Back To MTing
Oct 14, 2010

that you find working as QA?  I know I have heard a few say that the MTs apparently do not look at their corrections and continue to make the same mistakes over and over which the QA continues to correct over and over regardless how many times the MT has been told. Who loves QAing and who doesn't.  Why for each? p.s. been asked to be QA, but I am undecided.  ...