A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Getting out of MTing and going back to college - sm

Posted: Oct 13, 2011

Mting is no longer for me.  I'm 34, single mom, need a better career.  I can't seem to decide on which career path to take.  I want to get my bachelor's degree because it will make me feel like I have accomplished something, and I would like to have a degree and possibly get my master's someday.  I can't decide between healthcare information management and getting my RHIA, or something totally different and getting a BS in business-human resources management.  What do you think?

suggestions - loa

[ In Reply To ..]
You might look into health care administration. It's a combination of management, business, and healthcare. Their industry is expecting a big need for new workers as a lot of people in administration are older and getting close to retirement. I recently went to our state hospital association meeting and at 36 I was one of the youngest in the room full of executives, so I think there is truth to that.

Another one I would recommend looking at is health informatics (or healthcare information systems). There aren't a lot of programs out there yet for this, and some people do a different undergrad and then do a master's in this. This has to do with EMR management, database administration, systems analysis, etc. Very high demand field.

I personally would stay away from HIM just because I think that long term it is going to shrink in need, particularly if you look at how automated things are becoming due to meaningful use requirements.

My suggestion is not to build up huge loans that you won't be able to pay back - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
That's the only caution I would have. Other than that, I don't have any recommendations. No job fields are very good right now, so take your time. Don't jump into something if you run into an aggressive salesman as I did a couple of weeks ago.

Respectfully disagree. Lots of job fields are GREAT right now, and - just as people can live with a mortgage,

[ In Reply To ..]
or more appropriately in amount payments on a car, they can live with student loans from state and community colleges--as long as the monthly income is high enough to fit them into the budget. And it is for most once they have a couple of years on the job, with raises, etc.

OP, in the middle of this recession/depression, the unemployment rate for people with 4-year degrees or more is only about 5%. It's always lower.

At the same time many jobs are disappearing permanently at our level, many more are being created for higher-skilled people.

Over the past 30 years, while wages have stagnated and even dropped for non-degree work, jobs requiring 4-year degrees have seen generally steady increases in pay. Increase in base salaries and raises.

By all means, rush to put yourself on the winner's side of this widening gap. As to what to do? I'd really strongly recommend looking for a work within a field that gets you enthused, even if it's not the most lucrative. After all, you'll be working a long time; grab this chance to make sure you can enjoy and feel good about what you're doing. It should be something you can build on or transition from as times continue to change.

Lucky you.

Anything IT related - is a good bet

[ In Reply To ..]
At least in my opinion it is. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the RHIA specific areas, though. I am uncomfortable with anything that is "certified" by AHIMA or AHDI or whatever they decide to call themselves. They are too changeable and too specific to one industry. If something in that industry changes, then you're sort of stuck...sort of like being an MT some days. Ha!

If you like computers, I'd try for something that is more systems management or computer science oriented. That can translate to any industry or business that has computers and they always need IT people.

I am in total agreement with the other poster about the school loan situation. Try to do this with grants or whatever, but really try to avoid getting into debt for it. I've been through a rocky year for other reasons and the thought of taking on new debt on a "maybe" scares the you-know-what out of me.

Good luck.

More importantly... - alan

[ In Reply To ..]
what are YOU interested in doing with your life?

I have no idea! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I really have no idea what I want to do with my life. I am 34 years old and stuck. I do know that I am going to college (all done with grants) but can't decide!

Suggestions - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
I am just about the same age as you and feel the same way. I would also like to go back to college but not sure of the logistics/money to do it/exactly which path to take. I would suggest doing some self-discovery to find out what would be a good fit for you. There are some good books on the subject, like "What Color is Your Parachute?", etc. It might be a good idea to visit a career counselor to get some help. Another thing that you can do is sort of "sample" different fields online through the open courseware consortium. Some colleges, like MIT, etc., have placed some of their courses online and you can access them for free. You don't get any credit, of course, but it might help you get a feel for some different things and whether or not it would be a good fit for you. I'm trying some computer science classes on for size to see if it would be a good fit for me or not before investing in a degree program. Good luck with your decision! I know that it can be nerve wracking.
Thanks for the ideas - Rainy
[ In Reply To ..]
I had no idea about free online courses. Will look into that as I also am interested in the computer/IT field but am afraid to commit too much money and time only find it is not a good fit. At 48, the prospect of starting over is terrifying, but I need a change.
Everyone needs a change every few years to avoid getting stale - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
We all get burnout after a few years. It's good to change jobs occasionally.

Right! - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Go for it - cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
I just started back to school also. Once you start with one class, you'll find more that interest you. Just start and get out there. I've started and now I found a field to go into in the medical field, the pay is better than MT and you get treated like a real person. You don't get treated like a production assembly line. What if grocery store cashiers only got paid when they scanned an item. One cashier gets 50 cans of tuna to scan and the other get 30, 40 and 50 pound bags of dog food. The one that has the harder job gets paid less and the tuna scanner makes out like a bandit. I compare our jobs to that. If we get a hard report and waste time we get paid less than the ones that get good reports with no problems. This field is the biggest crock ever. I have been doing it for 30 years and I just realize how we are getting so ripped off. At least cashiers get their hourly rate no matter how many customers come through their line. Their not treated like a useless worker with no brain. We are not getting paid for our knowledge and I am so disgusted with this field. I can't wait till I can get a better job. Just go for it. Its really worth it in the long run.

The treadmill - Hampster

[ In Reply To ..]
Go to college to learn and better yourself but don't bet on it finding you a good job with good pay. The hoops one has to jump through may prove to be too challenging for older MTs and even some younger ones. Even if you do succeed, who knows how long it will last. Don't mean to be "debbie downer" but a little reality check of the economy we are is worth knowing about before investing in expensive education with high expectations.

Just what I was thinking - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Every QA That I Have Talked To Says They Are Sicking Of QAing And Wished They Could Go Back To MTing
Oct 14, 2010

that you find working as QA?  I know I have heard a few say that the MTs apparently do not look at their corrections and continue to make the same mistakes over and over which the QA continues to correct over and over regardless how many times the MT has been told. Who loves QAing and who doesn't.  Why for each? p.s. been asked to be QA, but I am undecided.  ...

Welp, Im Going Back To College At Age 50!
May 20, 2010

I waited as long as I could, but my income has dropped by 30% at least, and I can't pay my bills...........so fortunately I just got awarded a Pell Grant (thanks to my low MT income), so Im going back to school! ...

Mting
Nov 21, 2009

I have been transcribing for 20 years, but most of it was Radiology and Pathology for hospitals. They were pretty laxed with errors. Now I am in the big leagues and I am getting QAed to death! But I am learning a lot. I also have ESLs to deal with now so it is taking time to build up my speed. I just started here 2 months ago. I am fast, but I need to learn also. It is challenging. I got spoiled doing specialties. ...

Need To Get Out Of MTing. What Do You Think...
Mar 13, 2011

is the best 2-year and 4-year degree to go after these days?  I can no longer support myself and my daughter on my wage as an MT.  Lost my house to foreclosure which was a huge wakeup call.  Decided to go back to school but don't want to waste my time on a dead-end career.  ...

Just My Take On What MTing Has Become
Jan 21, 2012

I used to make $50,000 a year also.  Then it went down into the 40s.  Now, I think it may be something like $35,000 to $38,000, depending on different factors.  I have given this much serious thought because I am in my 50s and would like to hold out for another few years and not have to start a new career this late in life. I think between the "AAMT" and the offshoring, this profession has been brought to its knees.  The offshoring has not worked out too well for many compan ...

How Much $ Would It Take For You To Leave MTing?
Oct 12, 2010

I love my job, I do well at it.  I am $45,000 give or take a couple thousand every year.  I am losing my account to VR, and I will have to switch accounts.  I will not be able to make as much on the new accounts, probably a 25% pay cut.  I have a job interview this afternoon for a job in a doctor's office doing routine front desk duties.  I don't know how much it pays.  What if they ask me how much I am looking for?  I don't know what to say.&nb ...

MTing In An RV On The Road
Mar 18, 2011

I'm interested in chatting with anyone who might be doing MT work on the road in an RV or motorhome.  This might be in my future soon and I am curious about the logistics of this.  I've been working at home for 19 years so would love to keep this great job while seeing some sights in the USA and still working. Please get in touch if you have any information! Thanks   ...

MTing NOT DEAD
Nov 22, 2011

MT'ers transcription may not be dead after all.  I had an interview with a local hospital that has many clinics and outside services.  They have had all of their transcription outsourced aside from various departments in the actual hospital.  However, they have discovered a better quality of work if they keep their work onsite.  They are pulling ALL of their services back to using on-site transcriptionists.  Some at home work after training, but there will be no MTS ...

I Want Out Of MTing, Question Though
Jun 04, 2013

I want to work in health care IT, but I'm not exactly sure which degree to go for.  I keep seeing health care informatics and I see programs for them, but it seems to me that these are degrees that prepare you to become a RHIA.  I already have an AA degree and have my RHIT certification, but I want to work more in technology, specifically health care technology.  Maybe a computer science degree or ......?? ...

Steno Machine And MTing
Oct 16, 2009

I have been using a steno machine to do this job since the year 2000.  I would have a difficult time returning to typing on a QWERTY board for MT'ing...way too slow and painful on the hands, etc.  On a good day on a familiar account, I can produce 250 lines an hour, no sweat.  I was trained in school to reach 225 words per minute, which I did back in 1992, to qualify to take the California state board exam.  I would encourage anyone to take the time and effort to learn s ...

What Happened To The Days When MTing Was An
Nov 16, 2010

enjoyable job instead of just a day-in-day-out headache listening to idiots blabber on? ...

Getting Out Of MTing, Looking Into Health Informatics
Aug 24, 2011

I am getting out of MT and looking into the Health Informatics program.  I have a 2 year degree in HIT, but my problem is I don't know where to look for a bachelor's degree in Healthcare Informatics.  When I research online I find only master's degrees in informatics or other universities require you to have an RN degree or IT degree.  I saw someone post here that they were getting their bachelor's degree in Informatics but cannot find that post.  Anyone k ...

The Saddest Part Of MTing
Oct 27, 2012

The saddest part of being an MT is that most of us have to maintain 2 or jobs at the same time, no just to make ends meet, but because of the fact that we don't know when they will be ready to fire us because we missed a comma or did not meet their high, ignorant, unreal expectations. How many of you have to work more than one MTSO, not only to make ends meet but because there is no work or because you fear being let go without notice or explanation?   ...

Since When Did MTing Become VOLUNTEER Work???
Nov 02, 2012

This field is PATHETIC. I once worked for TTD and every single payday, my check was either short or I did not receive it at all. When I questioned the owner about my pay, I was let go...simply asking for the money I made...A--- fired me. Come to find out a short time later that she had ditched every worker in the company...either shorting their pay or not paying them at all and above all, she even owed money to workers in INDIA as well. I thought this was just because TTD was sick company whose ...

Interested In MTing But No Experience And No Time Or $$ To Get Any!!!!! HELP!
Jan 21, 2012

I am disabled and on social security disability living with my mother and husband in my mother's house. My husband and I have been here for about 4 years, and it's about time to go. My mother is pressuring us to get out knowing that we can't afford to do so.She's become hateful and aggressive, causing unnecessary stress for not only me but my husband which can potentially effect his work performance. For a few years now I have had the illusion of thinking that most, if not a ...

Home Depot, My Ticket Out Of MTing
Apr 21, 2012

Anyone wishing to start a new career, right now may be a good time to apply at Home Depot. They are hiring seasonal cashiers and I applied and I am on my way to being hired after a drug test next week. It's for 120 days with possible permanent employee. I will learn some customer service and cashiering which I feel is valuable since I have never done it with 30 years of being an MT. Hopefully, it will work into something else. It has been tough to find another job but this could just b ...

A Friend Of Mine Asked About MTing Recently ....
Dec 20, 2010

I told her to give it not a second thought, it was a waste of money and time for the schooling required, and, even as an IC, she'd be LUCKY to make $.09 a line and have zero benefits.  I told her she'd be MUCH better off working for McDonald's. Who is going to enter this profession of low pay and no benefits in the future?  Who will stay when, even the transcriptionists who are fortunate enough to be doing straight transcription now, are gone after the switch to VR and ...

Okay Everyone. I Went To College Today
Mar 17, 2010

I spoke with a counselor/advisor who was extremely helpful.  They gave me a couple of tests, personality and skill tests to see what I want do in life.  I scored pretty high on counseling and criminal justice and even showed medical transcription.  Here is what it says about being a medical transcriptionist in Oregon. Wages   Location Pay Period Entry Median Top Oregon Hourly $12.73 (1) $17.00 Monthly $2,206 (1) $2,946 Yearly $ ...

Started My First Day Of College :)
Sep 29, 2012

I just wanted to post that I completed my first week of college. The first day was scary, but by the second day I felt much more at ease. My first class happened to algebra, so wish me luck. I know that I am making the right decision, so I am hoping that I can start counting the days to when I can just give my notice. It is going to be tough, but it definitely is going to be worth it. ...

I've Just Been Accepted To College!!
Oct 22, 2013

After going back and forth for two years, I finally decided to apply for college and I was accepted, yay me!!  Actually, I already have my Associate's degree, so this isn't my first time in college, but I feel like I've taken a huge step in my life and I was so excited I just wanted to share with my fellow MTs!  Just an FYI, after researching an endless amount of colleges, I chose WGU majoring in Health Informatics and am even considering my MBA there as well because the ...

College Degree
Feb 17, 2015

I see many job ads for coders that specify a college degree is required.  I am in coding school currently but only have a GED.  What do you think chances are I can get a job with no college degree?  I currently work as a remote MT and have almost 20 years of continuous experience in that field and was hoping that would help me get a job.  I am not at all, however, interested in getting a college degree. ...

I'm Not Sure What College These Docs Went To
Jun 08, 2015

But I noticed when my son graduated from college, it was a mid range college in no way an ivy league school, that he spoke very intelligent, used correct grammar, and actually formed correct sentences. I made mention to him, that in listening to his friends talk, I was VERY impressed and happy they actually learned something in school..He said, "I don't see why, that's what they teach us in college, this isn't high school anymore mom." I'm just not hearing it out of these d ...

Is Ashworth College Reputable?
Jan 07, 2010

I recently signed up for Medical Billing and Medical Terminology classes through Ashworth College.  I would like to know if anyone out there is familar with Ashworth College, I've been told that there's a lot of schools out there that just want your money and I want to make sure if I'm making the right decision for me and my family. Thanks in advance for your help! ...

Miller-Motte College
Jun 15, 2010

Does anyone have any experience with this college?  They just opened a new site in my town that will be doing healthcare only at first and have been thinking of doing this. ...

Community College Vs. M-Tec/Andrews
Feb 11, 2011

Is it better to go with the tried-and-true Andrews or M-tec as opposed to a local community college that offers MT courses? I was thinking it would be better to stick with the former, but was intrigued by the fact that the local junior college seems to be promising "internships". I'm not 100 percent sure yet, as the informational meeting isn't until the beginning of March, but wondered what the prevailing wisdom might be on the subject. Thanks in advance for any info. ...

Goodbye MT World, Hello College
Jun 25, 2012

After being an MT for 12 years and wanting to go back to college for the past 2 years, I have finally done it!  I will no longer be an MT as of July 1st, and I couldn't be happier!  I applied and was accepted to WGU and will be getting my BS in Health Informatics. This is a very unique program and my goal is to finish in a year and a half (I had credits transfer in which helps).  Anyone who is interested in going back to college and wants to work in health care with IT, check ...

I Have A College Degree Question
Aug 23, 2012

I can't stand doing MT anymore.  I applied and have received Pell grants, yay!  Now, I need to decide on my major.  I want to be in a career where I can help people.  I'm thinking social work or psychology.  But I keep seeing jobs where they say "BA in Human Services needed."  Wouldn't this just be social work?   ...

Community College Program
Jan 18, 2015

I would like opinions on taking a coding program at a community college, then being properly prepared to become a successful coder and getting certified. Cost is important to me, which makes this an attractive option. What is the consensus about this? Thanks for your comments. ...

Does Anyone Ever Hear Back Anymore From Jobs Posted? In The Past I Always Heard Back Even If I Was N
Dec 10, 2012

College Of Legal Arts MT Program
Jan 09, 2010

Does anyone know anything about this school's Medical Transcription program? ...